Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203673 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2625 on: September 11, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
The atmosphere in Toronto for Hogan/Rock might be near the top for any match in history. It seemed like both men were legitimately taken aback by it.

I think one of my favorite Rock promos ever was when he came to Toronto, the year after that Wrestlemania, when he became Hollywood Rock and he unleashed a lot of venom to that crowd that had the audacity, I say!, to boo the Rock at Wrestlemania 18.  However, now The Rock became Hollywood Rock, they suddenly like him again and go along with his usual catchphrases like nothing happened the year before?  No, no, no.  He ain't going to let them forget about it.  That crowd did probably wanted to kill him for saying that the Maple Leafs suck.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2626 on: September 11, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
The atmosphere in Toronto for Hogan/Rock might be near the top for any match in history. It seemed like both men were legitimately taken aback by it.

I think one of my favorite Rock promos ever was when he came to Toronto, the year after that Wrestlemania, when he became Hollywood Rock and he unleashed a lot of venom to that crowd that had the audacity, I say!, to boo the Rock at Wrestlemania 18.  However, now The Rock became Hollywood Rock, they suddenly like him again and go along with his usual catchphrases like nothing happened the year before?  No, no, no.  He ain't going to let them forget about it.  That crowd did probably wanted to kill him for saying that the Maple Leafs suck.

I remember that one!

Those 2003 Hollywood Rock promo's were great.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2627 on: September 11, 2020, 12:42:34 PM »
Hollywood Rock was classic. But the heel persona didn’t last because Rock was just too cool and funny, people kept cheering him. The cool funny heel rarely works; a total heel needs to be evil and mean.

And Rock was always hilarious when he sang too

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: September 11, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »
Hollywood Rock was classic. But the heel persona didn’t last because Rock was just too cool and funny, people kept cheering him. The cool funny heel rarely works; a total heel needs to be evil and mean.

And Rock was always hilarious when he sang too

I loved his feud with The Hurricaine.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: September 11, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
 :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2630 on: September 23, 2020, 07:43:07 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2631 on: September 23, 2020, 07:49:57 AM »
Very sad news. Road Warriors are the greatest tag team of all time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: September 23, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
Very sad news. Road Warriors are the greatest tag team of all time.

Agreed on both accounts.  There are a plethora of teams that could be considered #2, but anyone who questions who is #1 is daft.  I mean, these guys had everything.  EVERYTHING.  They were the perfect tag-team that could do it all.  Mean, menacing, intimidating, innovative, athletic, powerful.  Whether heel or face, they carried both an in-ring and mic-presence gravitas that no other tag team had, nor will ever matched.

Gonna have to go watch some classic matches.  Maybe WarGames.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: September 23, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
War Games are such a great match. Especially the original with the Four Horsemen and the 92 version with the Dangerous Alliance.

But the Road Warriors had the look along with the talent in the ring. Coming to the ring to Iron Man, immediately tossing out a jabroni, a few kicks, punches and then a doomsday device to the second guy. It was simple but extremely effective.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2634 on: September 23, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »
Oh, man.  Terrible news.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: September 25, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »
Coming to the ring to Iron Man, immediately tossing out a jabroni, a few kicks, punches and then a doomsday device to the second guy. It was simple but extremely effective.

Dang, I remember those days. I didn't know that song as Iron Man at that time, it was just the Road Warriors' song. I probably totally marked out the first time I heard it on the radio when I was getting in to classic rock.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2636 on: September 26, 2020, 03:02:58 AM »
Not sure how many remember Rocco the Road Warrior puppet from 1992. One of the most ridiculous ideas ever. The Road Warriors hated that puppet with a passion. Especially Hawk, who went AWOL after Summerslam in London and went on a major bender mostly out of disgust for little Rocco lol.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2637 on: September 26, 2020, 05:04:42 AM »
Rocco was so dumb. Vince really knows how to water down an awesome and brutal tag team with a lame ass doll  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: September 26, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »
Poor little Rocco lol. I guarantee Hawk wanted to strangle him.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2639 on: September 26, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
If a wrestler gets big outside of WWE, Vince always tries to change their gimmick or add to it because he can’t accept that sometimes wrestling is good without him contributing to it. Other than AJ Styles, he has found a way to ruin every wrestler who has come into his company that got over without him because he wants to be the one to hold the key to their success.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: September 26, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
I’m still surprised at AJ’s success in WWE. And from reading interviews with AJ, so is he. But people noticed his workrate early on and he got some good breaks.

Another example was Flairs run in the early 90s. He was only there for about 15 months and I guess you could still argue he wasn’t used as well as he should. But when Flair arrived in Fall of 91 and if Vince didn’t acknowledge his background and give him a mega push immediately, fans would be livid. There is no way he could have given Ric a new gimmick or started him lower card.

Goldberg could be another example.

It’s a bummer that Sting never joined WWE in early 2000’s instead of TNA. I would have liked to see how that would have turned out.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2641 on: September 27, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
I’m still surprised at AJ’s success in WWE. And from reading interviews with AJ, so is he. But people noticed his workrate early on and he got some good breaks.

Another example was Flairs run in the early 90s. He was only there for about 15 months and I guess you could still argue he wasn’t used as well as he should. But when Flair arrived in Fall of 91 and if Vince didn’t acknowledge his background and give him a mega push immediately, fans would be livid. There is no way he could have given Ric a new gimmick or started him lower card.

Goldberg could be another example.

It’s a bummer that Sting never joined WWE in early 2000’s instead of TNA. I would have liked to see how that would have turned out.

Had WWE treated the ex-WCW guys with more respect, Sting might have come on board earlier. He saw how Vince buried the former WCW wrestlers (see: DDP) and he wanted nothing to do with that.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: September 27, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »
I wasn't in to WCW in the slightest but I knew who DDP was, and when he revealed he was the guy stalking Taker's wife, I was all "OH HELL YEAH IT'S ON NOW!!!" And then... well, we all know where it went from there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2643 on: September 27, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »
Stings run in the WWE (if you can even call it that) is one of the most disappointing things I have ever experienced in wrestling  :P

If he came over in the early 2000's, it would have been something really solid. Oh well

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: September 27, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
Crow Sting was cool but I'm still a huge fan of blond surfer Sting.  That's the version I still watch all the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: September 27, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »
Did everyone know that before cracking in to WCCW, he and Ultimate Warrior were part of a faction called "PowerTeam USA", then becoming the Blade Runners (in the UWF)

PowerTeam USA ... Justice and Flash!!!

Blade Runners ... Rock and Sting

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: September 27, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »
Corny tells a story about watching the Blade Runners in a chat with Bruce Pritchard. The whole clip is them talking about Warrior, which is hilarious, but the part about the Blade Runners starts around 4:45.

https://youtu.be/vOv2ewcrFDA?t=286

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2647 on: September 28, 2020, 12:21:50 AM »
When it comes to wrestling entrance music, there aren’t many that are more catchy then-

“He’s a Man called Sting.  The Man Called Sting. He does this, he does that. He’s big as a bull and quick as a cat”

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: December 02, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
Kenny fn Omega!!!! Canada/Winnipeg!!!!!!!  :metal :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2649 on: December 02, 2020, 09:03:17 PM »
I watched Kenny Omega in 2001 (quite possibly his first match ever) in a opening match at a community centre in Winnipeg. I remember he was only about 130lbs and was doing some some surfer gimmick. Only about 30 people there but I honestly remember being impressed with his skills. Even though he was the opening match, he always stood out to me. Since then I’ve met up with him in Winnipeg and spoken to him and told him I’ve been there since the beginning.....Kenny is a class act and a legitimate nice guy.....it’s awesome to see a fellow Canadian become world champion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: December 02, 2020, 09:03:35 PM »
Another fantastic show by AEW. Omega and Mox was outstanding....and Stings presence will be welcome, even if he doesn't do much in the actual ring.

Also RIP Pat Patterson

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: December 02, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »
Definitely RIP to Pat. You have to respect his knowledge and the fact he came up with the Royal Rumble. The Rumble is my favourite match I can watch Rumble’s 88-92 over and over. Seriously is there ever a more star studded match than the 92 rumble and a greater commentary performance in the history of wrestling?

This AEW show was special for me. Obviously Kenny.......but my all time two favourite wrestlers are Ric Flair and Sting.......both are absolutely amazing......to see Sting return tonight and to see the fans get truly emotional and to hear Jim and Tony show the emotion they did.....I’ll admit, I did have a tear tonight......I know Chad will back me up

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: December 02, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
I would, but I haven’t watched any wrestling other than classic old clips in about a decade. I recently stumbled on the Monday Night War series on Dailymotion, and have been watching that.

Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone announcing together would be cool to listen to.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: December 02, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
I would, but I haven’t watched any wrestling other than classic old clips in about a decade. I recently stumbled on the Monday Night War series on Dailymotion, and have been watching that.

Chad....I know you are an old school fan......track down tonight’s episode of AEW and listen to the emotion in the voices of Jim and Tony

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: December 02, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »

Chad....I know you are an old school fan......track down tonight’s episode of AEW and listen to the emotion in the voices of Jim and Tony

Roger that

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: December 02, 2020, 09:31:42 PM »
If you are an old school wrestling fan, the return of Sting tonight was special. Only the hard cores will understand

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2656 on: December 02, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
What a minute, what a minute, wait a gosh darn minute..... in 2020 there was a show with Flair, Sting, and JR and Tony Schiavone were on the call?!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: December 02, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »
What a minute, what a minute, wait a gosh darn minute..... in 2020 there was a show with Flair, Sting, and JR and Tony Schiavone were on the call?!

Destiny knows what I’m talking about.........hopefully Chris and Chad get on board with what took place tonight

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2658 on: December 03, 2020, 05:07:37 AM »
It was cool to see Sting in AEW. hopefully they use him better than the idiot WWE did  :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2659 on: December 03, 2020, 06:13:19 AM »
It was cool to see Sting in AEW. hopefully they use him better than the idiot WWE did  :P

Yeah.. they totally botched their use of Sting.  It could've / should've been epic, and it was a total dud.  I watch the JBL interview with him last week (from 2016).  Very interesting stuff.