Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203757 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2415 on: November 22, 2018, 03:56:03 AM »
Jake the snake on Rogan. Pretty cool interview

https://youtu.be/9DxeMowxDTU?t=58

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2416 on: January 02, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »
If you watched wrestling in the 80s and in to the 90s there is no one you wanted on the mic interviewing a wrestler other than Gene Okerlund.

RIP Mean Gene.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2417 on: January 02, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
Yeah... saw that earlier today.  He was a legend.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2418 on: January 02, 2019, 03:26:50 PM »
Wow just saw this, RIP Mean Gene.  Those interviews with Hulk were so classic back in the day.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: January 02, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
Best interviewer in the history of wrestling

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2420 on: January 02, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »
Wow just saw this, RIP Mean Gene.  Those interviews with Hulk were so classic back in the day.

The way Mean Gene could handle and direct those coked up wrestlers was amazing. Nobody else could stand face to face with guys like Macho Man and Roddy Piper, and get the best out of them. He was always so sharp, and he was a huge part of the WWF.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2421 on: January 02, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
His chemistry with The Brain was off the charts.  In fact... his chemistry with all the A-listers was dynamite.  He made EVERYONE he interviewed better.  There will never be another as good as he.  Ever.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2422 on: January 02, 2019, 04:37:20 PM »
He will be forever cemented in my childhood memory of wrestling. And he made one hell of a contribution. RIP

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2423 on: January 02, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
I always like Mean Gene just for that line, "Put that cigarette out!"  Sadly, this interview was just posted on WWE's Youtube channel today.  The post-match interview of Ric Flair winning the Royal Rumble 1992 and the WWF Championship and says probably the greatest speech a wrestler would say after winning the championship.  I say sadly because everyone else in this video has passed away, except for Ric Flair........ (Mean Gene, Mr. Perfect, Bobby Heenan, Jack Tunney).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4o1wgItPCE

This contract signing segment with Mean Gene, William Regal, and Sting was pretty darn good as well, especially Regal calling Sting, "Sunshine," and Mean Gene noted that the I in Sting has been dotted in the contract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSvh4irwP2s

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2424 on: January 03, 2019, 07:20:32 AM »
That one hit the hardest of the three yesterday. Mean Gene was the man. RIP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2425 on: January 03, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
An absolute legend in the business.  His interviews were always top notch.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »
This contract signing segment with Mean Gene, William Regal, and Sting was pretty darn good as well, especially Regal calling Sting, "Sunshine," and Mean Gene noted that the I in Sting has been dotted in the contract.

I never followed WCW. Was this a big deal? If so, why does it look like it was held in the lobby of a Days Inn?

Favorite Mean Gene long form moment: WM17 Gimmick Battle Royale (ably assisted by the equally legendary Brain).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XU0079q4Vg

Favorite Mean Gene short form moment: NSFW. Whenever I consider what $200 an hour will get me, this is what I think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcCO7OBafA
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2427 on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »

I never followed WCW. Was this a big deal? If so, why does it look like it was held in the lobby of a Days Inn?

It wasn't really a big deal.  Technically, this was a mid-card match between Sting and Regal.  I just liked this segment because of Regal calling Sting, "Sunshine," and Regal slapping the f*** out of Sting.  Mean Gene's reactions on this segment was so good though.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2428 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »
Was super bummed when I saw the new yesterday. This is a pretty good compilation of clips.

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/mean-gene-okerlund-best-interviews/
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2429 on: January 04, 2019, 09:23:20 AM »
This might be a TMI post. I've never really gotten wrestling, but I was flipping through Pluto TV the other night and stopped on the Impact Wrestling channel. I ended up watching it for like 2.5-3 hours. I found it awesomely bad (like the songs Breakfast at Tiffany's and We Built This City). There was this one lady wrestler on there named Jordynne Grace who freaking slayed it. I don't think I've ever been so sexually attracted to something in my life.   

I'll be paying for the Homecoming pay per view this Sunday to watch her go for glory. 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:20:33 PM by Chino »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:40 AM »
Pumped for AEW and am excited that Jericho signed a 3 year deal with them.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: January 17, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »
I think AEW is going to be the real deal.  I hope they are competition mostly to give WWE a kick in the pants.  The first sign that they are real competition is when a big name from WWE jumps there.  Already there are rumblings that Mike/Maria Kanellis, The Revival, Goldust, Dolph Ziggler might be getting out of their contracts/or not renewing and heading there.

The main thing for AEW is to get a good tv contract.  It sounds possibly that TBS/Turner might want to get back on the wrestling train so that would be a big deal if that works out.

And obviously the main signing will be Kenny!

Regardless I'm interested in seeing how AEW turns out.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2432 on: January 17, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »
Yup, definitely curious. Was already potentially going to Vegas with my dad and a few of my uncles in the spring, trying to make it so that I can hit Double or Nothing.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2433 on: February 12, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
RIP Pedro Morales

Even I remember The Boston Crab.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2434 on: February 12, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
Ah, the boston crab.  A legit finisher that could only be applied once you wore your opponent down, and if you got on them, odds are they were gonna submit (as opposed to the 21st century where finishers get kicked out of on a regular basis). 

It's a shame how awful pro wrestling has become.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: March 05, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
I have little interest in wrestling these days but the news of King Kong Bundy passing away brought back plenty of childhood memories.

R.I.P.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2436 on: March 05, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
Damn. One of the first major heels in my wrestling memories.

The five count was an awesome gimmick.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: March 05, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
I just watched WM3 last week and Bundy squashing Little Beaver, thats a heel!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2438 on: March 31, 2019, 12:16:01 AM »
Once or twice a year Kenny Omega returns back to Winnipeg and wrestles in a small promotion PCW in front of 250 people.  He does it as a favor to his friends in the promotion who helped him in the beginning of his career.  They clearly get a boost in sales when he shows up.

Tonight he returned and took on another fellow Winnipeger, Don Callis.  It was a pretty entertaining match and during the match, Chris Jericho's music played.  Chris also comes back to Winnipeg a couple of times a year to see family and friends so everybody bought it hook line and sinker.  But it was just a swerve by Callis to attack Omega from behind and get the victory.  This would have been a cool way to set up Jericho vs Omega II though.

A Canadian sports channel TSN just aired a Kenny Omega documentary called "Omega Man, a Wrestling Love Story" which was fantastic.  If you can catch it I highly recommend it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2439 on: March 31, 2019, 09:28:02 AM »
Just bought myself a ticket for NXT on Friday night, can't wait for Wrestlemania weekend :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: March 31, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
Between NXT, HOF, and WM, we'll be hammering the network pretty hard. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: April 01, 2019, 01:43:45 PM »
I sold my wrestlemania ticket, I looked on stubhub to see going rates, and well, they were much higher than my interest in actually going so I made some money.  Just been too busy with work to want to be out super late on a Sunday for something I have little interest in, plus the cash incentive.  None of these matches look interesting to me.  My one wrestling buddy said it was a good decision, I'm fine with it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2442 on: April 01, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
Yeah, you definitely made the right call. I can't imagine that it'll be over much before midnight and I'm sure Metlife will be a nightmare to get out of afterwards.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2443 on: April 01, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
Been listening to a ton of Chris Jericho's podcast. Has really reignited my interest in wrestling. Looking forward to AEW getting launched.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: April 01, 2019, 11:47:28 PM »
I sold my wrestlemania ticket, I looked on stubhub to see going rates, and well, they were much higher than my interest in actually going so I made some money.  Just been too busy with work to want to be out super late on a Sunday for something I have little interest in, plus the cash incentive.  None of these matches look interesting to me.  My one wrestling buddy said it was a good decision, I'm fine with it.

Besides the main event and the Daniel Bryan match, I'm not looking forward to WM much at all, so I can't blame you. That would be a really long day to actually be there in person for such a long show.
I'd still love the opportunity to see a WM live, but this probably isn't gonna be one I'd regret missing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2445 on: April 02, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
This will be the first Wrestlemana without Undertaker since WM2000 in (natch) 2000. And only the third one he hasn't been a part of since 1991. That is freaking crazy.

That's the extent of my WWE knowledge these days. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2446 on: April 02, 2019, 07:42:43 AM »
John Oliver gives his thoughts on the WWE and Vince McMahon.  Interesting and entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8UQ4O7UiDs
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »

Besides the main event and the Daniel Bryan match, I'm not looking forward to WM much at all, so I can't blame you. That would be a really long day to actually be there in person for such a long show.
I'd still love the opportunity to see a WM live, but this probably isn't gonna be one I'd regret missing.

And don't forget to add in that it's a huge outdoor show and my seat was at the top, where it may very well be super cold (it's been pretty nice and warming up lately, but I haven't spent all night outside high up).  That played into my decision as well.  I've seen lots of wrestling events back in the day, they were always a lot of fun, that was my main reason to even consider going, but it's a lot of money and effort at the end of the day for a product I am not sure I can relate to right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2448 on: April 02, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »
John Oliver gives his thoughts on the WWE and Vince McMahon.  Interesting and entertaining.

I saw that last night, and while it is easy to dismiss it as a one-sided, cherry-picked segment, the crux of what he said is likely pretty accurate. And given that the WWE has responded to it publicly means they are worried about the backlash.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2449 on: April 03, 2019, 05:43:56 AM »

I saw that last night, and while it is easy to dismiss it as a one-sided, cherry-picked segment, the crux of what he said is likely pretty accurate. And given that the WWE has responded to it publicly means they are worried about the backlash.

Agreed. Many very valid points were brought up.

Jesse was right to try and unionize back in the day. You can't claim your workers are independent contractors and then force them to exclusively work for your company. Its either one or the other.