Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203642 times)

Offline Bruinsfan25

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Bruno
« Reply #2345 on: May 07, 2018, 05:12:25 AM »
Who's watching backlash.

I had it on until the Brawn/Lashley match then had to go to bed. Was getting too late. Is that what we're to expect going forward with these co-branded PPVs?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2346 on: May 07, 2018, 06:54:42 AM »
I stopped watching at the Lashley match too. Even though I like all of the other guys, that was a filler match. And I don't give the slightest shit about Reigns or Joe and that shouldn't have been on last to begin with.
Opening match stole the show, went slowly downhill from there. I felt sorry for Charlotte having to suffer such an awful match with Carmella. Garbage finish too.
The finish to Styles/Nakamura was great though. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: May 07, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
I am so over WWE it's not even funny. Haven't watched since the Raw/SD before The Great Royal Rumble.

Meanwhile what Jericho is currently doing is amazing!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2348 on: May 07, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
Yeah, I briefly thought to myself when Rollins/Miz was over that I should just switch to playing Overwatch because that was going to be the match of the night. Really wish I had listened to myself in that moment :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2349 on: June 09, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
Jericho won the IWGP IC title!  :hefdaddy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: June 09, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »
And Kenny won the Heavyweight title!!!!!!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2351 on: June 09, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
Jericho won the IWGP IC title!  :hefdaddy

Wait a minute.  I've been out of the loop from wrestling for a year now.  I knew that Omega and Jericho were teasing that they wanted to do a match at the 01/04 Tokyo Dome show this year (but I honestly thought it was a joke) and that it actually happened?  I thought it would be a one-off for Jericho and get some good publicity for himself and for NJPW.  Now Jericho won a bloody title in NJPW?  Is he going to be in the G1 Climax?  That would be cool actually if he's in top shape to do the tournament and commit to the schedule (since he's always a busy guy outside of wrestling).  How in the world did he and NJPW agree to a deal where NJPW decided to push him to one of their top titles?

How in the world do we live in a timeline where the faces of the top wrestling company in Japan are two wrestlers from Winnipeg?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: June 10, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »
I've only seen the second half of the NJPW show so far (caught the end of the Mysterio match onwards). All fantastic matches. I love heel Japan Jericho, and he was in top form again here. That Okada/Omega match was their best yet, and I love how slow the pace was at the end. They were so dead, and fighting for every move, and then unable to capitalize on anything. Such good pacing.
Surprised at the outcome of both matches too. Can't wait to see more Jericho.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2353 on: June 10, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »
Also I love Jericho's new wrestling style. Suzuki esque brawling and overall being an asshole combined with a touch of old school jericho. This change in style could add years to his wrestling career if he chooses to do so.

Also he made history by being the first person to hold both WWEs and NJPWs IC titles.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2354 on: June 10, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »
I feel like the internet is saying this a lot, so forgive me for beating a dead horse, but Okada/Omega IV may be my favorite wrestling match of all time. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: June 11, 2018, 12:42:05 AM »
I feel like the internet is saying this a lot, so forgive me for beating a dead horse, but Okada/Omega IV may be my favorite wrestling match of all time. 

It really was fucking great though, wasn't it? You'd think after having several long matches already, they'd just be repeating themselves and getting stale, but that match was around 70 minutes, and didn't drag one bit, even with the deliberately slow pace at the end.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Misawa/Kobashi, 1/20/97, in case you were curious
« Reply #2356 on: June 12, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »

For the last fifteen years, I had a favorite match. It was the one where everything sort of clicked for me and I realized “Hey, these guys aren’t just throwing each other around, they’re actually telling a story in there.” It had a special place in my heart for that reason, and I saw it as kind of untouchable.

Omega and Okada blew it away. That was the finest display of in-ring storytelling I’ve ever seen, and a wonderful way to wrap up the last year and a half. I’m looking forward to where New Japan goes next with Kenny at the top.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2357 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:08 PM »
CM punk got beaten pretty badly, for a 2nd time with UFC. I don't know if they will let him fight again. So maybe later down the line perhaps a WWE return may be in the cards, who knows

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2358 on: June 12, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »
CM punk got beaten pretty badly, for a 2nd time with UFC. I don't know if they will let him fight again. So maybe later down the line perhaps a WWE return may be in the cards, who knows

Dana White's post fight presser basically said he's had 2 chances, he's done.  He also slammed the guy that won - maybe even harder than he slammed Punk.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2359 on: June 13, 2018, 06:02:19 AM »
I have to say thanks to you guys for helping me enjoy wrestling again.  I was always a casual viewer but I have learned from you guys what makes a good character and match and it has made wrestling more entertaining by looking for those things.

Some random thoughts and questions:

All of the WWE women seem silly at best but more likely just annoying with one exception......

Osuka, while built like a fullback is oddly sexy

Has Randy Orton done anything different in the last 15 years?

Why is there a Miz, just why

Does anyone enjoy those pancake guys?

I dont know his story but I appreciate that Jeff Hardy seems to be willing to destroy his body and any chance of being able to walk when he retires, for the entertainment of the fans

I kinda miss seeing Vince McMahon get blown up in a limo
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2360 on: June 13, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
So maybe later down the line perhaps a WWE return may be in the cards, who knows

If Vince is able to find somebody wanting to job to somebody being called the worst UFC fighter ever maybe...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: June 13, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
So maybe later down the line perhaps a WWE return may be in the cards, who knows

If Vince is able to find somebody wanting to job to somebody being called the worst UFC fighter ever maybe...

I'm not sure I get the hate for the fight.  I saw some highlights, and it appeared he gave it his best effort - he's just not a pro MMA fighter.  I remember seeing a fight a number of years back where for 2 whole rounds, one of the clowns just ran away from any engagement with his opponent.  White fired him on the spot in the post fight presser.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2362 on: June 14, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »

I'm not sure I get the hate for the fight.  I saw some highlights, and it appeared he gave it his best effort - he's just not a pro MMA fighter.  I remember seeing a fight a number of years back where for 2 whole rounds, one of the clowns just ran away from any engagement with his opponent.  White fired him on the spot in the post fight presser.

I am not a wrestling fan - so I typically don't post in this thread, however I am a MMA fan so I'll comment.

Couple of issues with the CM Punk fight over the weekend. (1) The fight was on the pay-per-view. It simply shouldn't have been, put it in the prelims on FS1 or something, that's on Dana not either fighter. (2) Dana didn't seem upset with CM Punk, he was upset with Jackson. Anyone who watches MMA regularly should know why, Jackson clearly could have ended that fight on several occasions and did not, drawing things out unnecessarily probably for TV time. That's a no no. Finish the fight, fight to win, etc... (3) Most fan comments I've seen regarding CM Punk were along the lines of respect for showing heart and giving a good effort, but not wanting to see him fight in the UFC anymore, which I find totally reasonable. He shouldn't fight in the UFC again, it was a good experiment, but it's over.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: June 14, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »

I am not a wrestling fan - so I typically don't post in this thread, however I am a MMA fan so I'll comment.

Couple of issues with the CM Punk fight over the weekend. (1) The fight was on the pay-per-view. It simply shouldn't have been, put it in the prelims on FS1 or something, that's on Dana not either fighter. (2) Dana didn't seem upset with CM Punk, he was upset with Jackson. Anyone who watches MMA regularly should know why, Jackson clearly could have ended that fight on several occasions and did not, drawing things out unnecessarily probably for TV time. That's a no no. Finish the fight, fight to win, etc... (3) Most fan comments I've seen regarding CM Punk were along the lines of respect for showing heart and giving a good effort, but not wanting to see him fight in the UFC anymore, which I find totally reasonable. He shouldn't fight in the UFC again, it was a good experiment, but it's over.

I agree with just about all of that. But I think Jackson's stock was only hurt by letting Punk go the distance. Sure a 1st or 2nd round win would have been met with "Oh well, it's a 39 year old former professional wrestler who has no business being on the main card".  But I think that "Wow, Jackson couldn't beat Punk straight up." is worse for him, especially if the perception was that he was prolonging the fight intentionally.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2364 on: June 14, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
I agree with just about all of that. But I think Jackson's stock was only hurt by letting Punk go the distance. Sure a 1st or 2nd round win would have been met with "Oh well, it's a 39 year old former professional wrestler who has no business being on the main card".  But I think that "Wow, Jackson couldn't beat Punk straight up." is worse for him, especially if the perception was that he was prolonging the fight intentionally.

Oh yeah, it was basically career suicide for Jackson, if he had just gone out and beat Punk like he could have - probably in the first or second - Dana would have been fine with that. The conversation after the fight would have been "okay Mike, who do you want to fight next". But because he did what he did, Dana clearly had some very different remarks after the fact. Now he won't fight in the UFC again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2365 on: June 14, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
I've only seen highlights of the fight, but it looked like CM Punk kept jumping the gun. Like he would barely get a shot in, and then leap at the other guy as if he had the upper hand.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Misawa/Kobashi, 1/20/97, in case you were curious
« Reply #2366 on: June 14, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »

For the last fifteen years, I had a favorite match. It was the one where everything sort of clicked for me and I realized “Hey, these guys aren’t just throwing each other around, they’re actually telling a story in there.” It had a special place in my heart for that reason, and I saw it as kind of untouchable.

Omega and Okada blew it away. That was the finest display of in-ring storytelling I’ve ever seen, and a wonderful way to wrap up the last year and a half. I’m looking forward to where New Japan goes next with Kenny at the top.

What was your favorite match for the last fiteen years?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2367 on: June 15, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
My favorite in the last 15 years is either Chris Benoit/HBK/HHH at WM20 or Hiroshi Tanahashi/Minrou Suzuki King of Pro Wrestling 2012.  In the latter, I have never seen such a better structured 30 minute match that emphasized heavily on compelling limb work.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2368 on: June 16, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
Anybody else watching Takeover tonight? The opening tag match was bananas and this crowd is molten hot. Can't wait for the rest of the card.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: June 17, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »
Gargano vs. Ciampa II was fucking insane. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2370 on: June 17, 2018, 05:39:09 AM »
Gargano vs. Ciampa II was fucking insane. 

Yes, yes it was. I was legit a nervous wreck from the moment Ciampa exposed the bare ring :lol The tag match, Velveteen Dream vs Ricochet, and Gargano vs Ciampa were all fantastic, and the other matches weren't far behind. I put the tag match on again when my dad got home from work and roped him into watching it, and his reaction to Oney Lorcan's apron bump was amazing.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: June 17, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
I don't always watch the weekly NXT shows, but their PPV'S are always off the charts good.  The vast majority of times they blow the WWE shows the next night out of the water. 

Last nights NXT show was fantastic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
RIP Vader

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2373 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
Damn.

I guess it was his time.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
Well that sucks. Another HoF worthy guy dies without Vince putting them in.

RIP Big man.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Vader
« Reply #2375 on: June 20, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
Awe... poor Leon.  One of the best working 'big man' I ever saw... in ring, and on the mic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2376 on: June 20, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »
Vader was awesome.  He could move really well for a big guy, and I loved his style where he would simply bully an opponent with brute force.  His destruction of Sting at the Great American Bash in '92 is still one of the more shocking world title wins I have ever seen in pro wrestling, as I did not see Sting getting beaten cleanly like that so soon after getting the title again.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Vader had some outstanding matches with Sting, they had great chemistry together.

His Summerslam 96 match with Shawn was very good too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: July 16, 2018, 05:32:03 AM »
The Extreme Rules audience completely ruined that main event with their disrespectful bullshit.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: July 16, 2018, 05:46:57 AM »
First PPV in a while without Reigns in it.... you would think they would have loved Rollins vs. Ziggler closing the show.

But then again, crowds love putting themselves over. Were they just doing countdowns, or saying legit disrespectful stuff like "boring"?