Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203712 times)

Online ozzy554

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2310 on: March 20, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
So, Daniel Bryan has been cleared to return to in ring activity. YES! YES! YES! YES!

I guess they really did NOT want him to go to ROH or NJPW lol.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Daniel Bryan cleared
« Reply #2311 on: April 07, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
Another amazing NXT Takeover show that once again will probably be way better than the WWE show that follows.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - WM 34
« Reply #2312 on: April 08, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »
Damn, only two matches into the proper card, but already pretty happy with this Wrestlemania.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2313 on: April 08, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
Wow, I didn't even realize WM was even on today. Well, I guess I'll watch it then.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2314 on: April 08, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
Literally don't think there's any way Rousey's debut could have gone any better.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2315 on: April 08, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
Agreed. Hard to think strait though with all these dancing pancakes...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2316 on: April 08, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
Literally don't think there's any way Rousey's debut could have gone any better.

She did as well as could be expected under the circumstances. She showed some impressive strength, my only gripe is how ridiculously Stephanie (and HHH) books herself. Good job flushing millions down the toilet by booking a middle aged business woman to go toe to toe against the most legit UFC fighter. :facepalm:

It's a shame the Undertaker could only manage a 3 minute match, but still better than last year's shitshow against Reigns. Cena is a champ for doing the job too.

So far, a really good WM. Every match has lived up to what I'd hoped for, although I was sad to see Asuka's streak end.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: April 08, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
Good job flushing millions down the toilet by booking a middle aged business woman to go toe to toe against the most legit UFC fighter.

First of all, she hasn't been a "most legit UFC fighter" in more than 2 years. Secondly, are they really "flushing millions down the toilet" by booking this match?

It's a shame the Undertaker could only manage a 3 minute match, but still better than last year's shitshow against Reigns. Cena is a champ for doing the job too.

Just saw the update on wikipedia. Had to see if it was a typo. His entrances are usually twice that long. Sad. And apparently I need to change my avatar now.

Edit... at 802p Pacific wikipedia is has listed on WM34's page "Adolf Hitler (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura" Too lazy to take a screenshot.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: April 08, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »
Good job flushing millions down the toilet by booking a middle aged business woman to go toe to toe against the most legit UFC fighter.

First of all, she hasn't been a "most legit UFC fighter" in more than 2 years. Secondly, are they really "flushing millions down the toilet" by booking this match?

The point is she's an actual fighter, and she was fighting a billionaire's middle aged daughter who has worked one terrible fake match in the past decade. We can argue semantics, but it was bullshit booking that devalued a huge signing. The McMahons have a history of this. The Shane match continued that trend too. Stephanie should have been shitting herself.

Also, Braun Strowman + random 10 year old kid winning the tag belts is one of the greatest moments in wrestling history. :lol
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:51:16 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: April 08, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »
Well that title match was the best you could hope for. The crowd shat all over it, and Reigns lost. :lol

It was the same old tired garbage that he kicked out of so many finishers, but the finish made it worth it. What is it going to take before they give up on this dead weight dragging down WM every single year?

And the Undertaker needs to retire. Make it official already. If you're at the point of only doing a 3 minute match once a year, call it a day.

Overall this was the most consistently good WM in years, although some matches didn't quite live up to their full potential.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:19:41 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2320 on: April 09, 2018, 05:27:32 AM »
The Undertaker has always been my favorite wrestler and last year's supposed retirement was a very powerful and bittersweet moment. Dragging him out for the 3 min squash felt really pointless honestly, and kind of shit on the feelings I had regarding him hanging it up last year. Next time he "retires" I'm not even gonna be able to believe it, since they might just wheel him out again.

I would have preferred if Stephanie had some "monster" female wrestler she was cultivating just in case Ronda were to show up at the WWE. At least someone more believable. What was shown was pretty weak.

A lot of that show was same old shit to me. Here's hunter and stephanie in their WM match. Here's the same tired New Day antics. Here's Shane again in a WM match, even though he's old as shit. Here's brock and shit head, yet again in a main event match. I didn't even stay up to watch the main event.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: April 09, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »
You didn't miss anything with the main event. Their WM31 match was actually surprisingly decent, even before the cash-in by Rollins, but this was just 20 minutes of the same two moves from both guys, with Reign booked to look stupidly unbelievably strong as usual, despite the loss.

The problem with the Undertaker, is that he's never officially said he's retiring. The last several years people figure he's retired because it's just felt like it's his last, especially last year with the loss to Reigns and leaving the hat and coat in the ring, and he disappears for the entire year saying nothing to the contrary. I don't think he even knows if he's retired. He waits until WM then decides if he can manage one last match, which is why we ended up with a 3 minute appearance. I believe he intended last year to be his last, but the match was such a poor showing, and he must be feeling like he can do better with his new hip.
I don't want this to be his new thing. He needs a definitive last match so we can accept he's done.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2322 on: April 09, 2018, 07:24:51 AM »
Maybe Cena will bitch about having no time to prepare for this years match and challenge him for next years mania for a full and final match for taker.

Overall I'd give Wrestlemania a B. With 7 hours of wrestling to fill I know they aint all gonna be winners but the only real clunker for me was the main event. Everything else at worst was at least OK.

I was puzzled about Aj vs Nakamura being surprisingly slow.......and then the ending happened and I totally understood why. Looks like at some point we'll be getting a rematch with a more vicious, hard hitting heel Nakamura which I can't wait to see.

Also I think Asuka will be fine. It's not going to be like goldberg who was basically done in WCW after his streak ended because Asuka can actually wrestle. Goldbergs streak was basically all he had going for him and when that ended with taser shenanigans it was pretty much over. At least Asuka lost in a great match, one of the best main roster woman's matches ever IMO.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Post WM MNR & SDL CROWD!!!
« Reply #2323 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »
Raw was good. Seemed like there were too many returns/debuts. The Lashley one was incredibly random.

Kurt Angle telling Owens and Zayn that TNA is hiring was awesome.

So apparently The Greatest Royal Rumble, a huge WWE show taking place in Saudi Arabia later this month will NOT have any of the female wrestlers on the card. On top of that, Saudi women will only  be allowed to attend the event with permission of their "Male guardian" That's an embarrassment in any year, let alone 2018. So despite what looks to be an incredible card, I will not be watching.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: April 10, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
So apparently The Greatest Royal Rumble, a huge WWE show taking place in Saudi Arabia later this month will NOT have any of the female wrestlers on the card. On top of that, Saudi women will only  be allowed to attend the event with permission of their "Male guardian" That's an embarrassment in any year, let alone 2018. So despite what looks to be an incredible card, I will not be watching.

Wow, I'm surprised they would agree to put on a show with these restrictions.  Doesn't really help a brand trying to be pro women's rights

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: April 10, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
They care a lot more about money and expanding their worldwide audience than they genuinely do about any concept of a "women's revolution".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: April 10, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
Raw was good. Seemed like there were too many returns/debuts. The Lashley one was incredibly random.

Kurt Angle telling Owens and Zayn that TNA is hiring was awesome.

I agree, it did seem like there were too many returns/debuts and it was losing its impact (no pun) by the end of the show.  I'm not really sure what the point of the whole Braun/Nicholas thing was besides giving Braun a WM moment for his work this year.  Glad they just transitioned out of that quickly and took away the belts.  The TNA reference was quite surprising actually.  I had to replay that a couple of times.

I'm surprised too that WWE would have this event in Saudi Arabia considering the rules that are put in place for women.  It kind of goes against everything they are representing in their womens revolution.  I guess money will talk.

I predict Daniel Bryan will step down tonight as GM.  Jeff Jarrett seems like a good replacement.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: April 10, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
As a huge Undertaker fan, and a dwindling wrestling fan, I have essentially been waiting for Undertaker to retire and then I can move on and stop following wrestling. I think his WrestleMania 25-28 with Michaels and HHH was genius, and the three of them at the top of the ramp after WM28 is as fitting an ending as anyone could hope to expect. I know HHH has wrestled since then as well, and I have separate thoughts on that.

So Undertaker aside, my life is too full, too busy, and interested in too many other things to commit to wrestling any longer. Though I will still listen to Cornette's podcast, as well as Pritchard's, because I love the stories that they tell from an era of wrestling I still feel nostalgia for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2328 on: April 10, 2018, 03:13:53 PM »
My life is also busy, but that's not the reason why I ignore contemporary WWE. Its just garbage story telling across the board and its boring. FFS, I didn't know WM was even on the other night, and that's coming from a life long wrestling fan. If they put out an entertaining product, I would set aside time to watch.

And I really hope that one day, they nix that super cheesy music for the hall of fame inductees rundown.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2329 on: April 10, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
My life is also busy, but that's not the reason why I ignore contemporary WWE. Its just garbage story telling across the board and its boring. FFS, I didn't know WM was even on the other night, and that's coming from a life long wrestling fan. If they put out an entertaining product, I would set aside time to watch.

And I really hope that one day, they nix that super cheesy music for the hall of fame inductees rundown.

I agree.  Life is busy for me.  Work, playing lots of hours of World of Warcraft, watching hockey, watching Twitch streams.  I don't think I can feasibly find the time to watch WWE wrestling and then feel disappointed over the way WWE presents their products down to the little details.  Life is too short and too enjoyable to have to go through that.  I don't even watch NJPW (and I'm sure it's still a great wrestling company to watch, no spoilers pls.  I may binge watch it one day going back to last year's G1 Climax) nowadays, because I always fear that their product will eventually get ruined somehow by WWE being so monopolistic over the wrestling industry.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2330 on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:16 PM »
Well, for my two cents, The Undertaker's match this year was actually perfect.  I think John Cena single-handedly restored the mystique of The Undertaker.  And I think that was needed.  After two losses and a couple lackluster matches, The Undertaker did not retire on his best night.  While the actual 'retirement' segment at 33 was beautiful, the match preceding it left a lot to be desired, and I genuinely believe that Taker deserves to go out strong. 

This was not exactly a strong match.  It was actually a fairly typical and boring squash match.  But it was a squash match with a 16-time world champion on the receiving end, and it felt like a big deal to me.  We basically watched John Cena mark out for The Undertaker, and through him, I marked out too.  It really felt like Taker was a Phenom again. 

But that's just me, of course.

I actually loved pretty much the whole show.  Styles/Nakamura did not live up to the hype, but I am super stoked for heel Nakamura ("NO SPEAK ENGRISH"), and I'm sure this will lead to a much better rematch down the road.  Strowman and Nicholas was silly nonsense, but it was fun.  The main event was boring, but with a pleasant surprise ending. 

Other than that, I loved everything. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2331 on: April 11, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »
So some overall thoughts on the weekend:

NXT Saturday night was bananas. Every match killed it, and the twist in the tag match was a good way to resolve the last minute injury issue with Bobby Fish. I actually made my dad sit down with me and watch the ladder match last night and his reactions to a couple of the ladder spots were great :lol

Overall very happy with Mania this year. The main event was the closest thing to a straight up dud, and it at least had the unexpected finish. Charlotte vs Asuka was probably the match of the night. I don't see any issue with how Ronda was booked in her match, she was fairly dominant against Stephanie (and Triple H for that matter), and they only ever really got the upper hand on her via underhanded tag team tactics, which makes sense given how much they harped on the idea that Ronda was entering "their world" in the hype videos.

Raw was good, but it felt like they maybe went over the top with the number of debuts and returns. Still, it made for a fast moving three hours and plenty of entertainment.

This is one of the few weeks where I actually watch Smackdown and it really delivered last night. Great tag match between the Usos and New Day (no shock there), Paige was an unexpected but welcome choice for new GM, we got a little taste of Styles vs Daniel Bryan, and so far I'm very in on douchebag Shinsuke.

The whole Saudi Arabia thing is a little disappointing for the reasons a few people have already touched on, but WWE is a business and I guess at the end of the day money talks.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2332 on: April 11, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
Even though I don't watch anymore, I paid attention a little this week since Wrestlemania week is usually good.

So, let me get this straight: Daniel Bryan, their most over superstar since The Rock and Steve Austin, comes back at Wrestlemania...and isn't on RAW the next night? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Just shows how stupid their brand separation is. "Oh, but he is a Smackdown guy!"  BFD.  It makes zero sense.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2333 on: April 11, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »
It's called the BRAND EXTENSION, duh. And a timely clip from Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ett3NugJvRE

Whoa, who the hell saw this coming?

https://www.wwe.com/worldwide/article/undertaker-rusev-casket-match-set-for-greatest-royal-rumble

edit... changed already.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/greatest-royal-rumble/2018/undertaker-chris-jericho

Sorry for all the edits....

Just listened to Cornette talk about WM34. He said (paraphrasing) 1) Rousey's performance could be the best WM debut ever, 2) the Rousey/Angle/HHH/Steph match is one of the best WM matches ever 3) if HHH constructed that match, he is a genius.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:43:27 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2334 on: April 13, 2018, 10:51:06 PM »
It was pretty entertaining, but HHH and Angle were way too loud calling their spots. Though after all the mediocre promos with Rousey leading up to WM34, I was impressed with her work.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Bruno
« Reply #2335 on: April 30, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »

Titus O' Neil takes a dive,  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2336 on: April 30, 2018, 07:18:15 PM »
So good :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2337 on: April 30, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
Almost as good as Vinnie Mac tearing both his quads.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: May 01, 2018, 12:17:39 AM »
:lol Still a classic. Vince was so angry at himself there.

The Titus trip was fucking hilarious. At first I didn't know what the hell the commentators were cracking up over, because it didn't show that angle until the replay. He was very lucky they didn't have their usual setup with the video screens instead of the apron, because that would have hurt.
Also don't be surprised if Vinnie Mac decides that's Titus' new gimmick that he trips on shit all the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: May 01, 2018, 05:58:30 AM »
I give full props to Vinnie for staying in character despite the fact he couldn't even stand up (and must've been in some level of discomfort).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2340 on: May 01, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
Shock master is my all time favorite

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2341 on: May 01, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »
Timeless classic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: May 01, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
That trip is the best thing that could have happened to Titus.  I bet that will add at least a couple of years to his WWE career.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2343 on: May 01, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
How has no one added audio of JR's "AS GAHD IS MAH WITNESS HE IS BROKEN IN HALF" to this yet?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2344 on: May 06, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
Who's watching backlash.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD