Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203698 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1995 on: April 12, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »
If I had to pick my current 3 favorite wrestlers it would be:

1. Nakamura
2. AJ Styles
3. Finn Balor

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1996 on: April 12, 2017, 08:08:38 AM »
I don't know exactly why, but Nakmura doesn't do much for me at all. My current favorite would have to be Bobby Roode. He is tailer made for the main roster and needs to be brought up soon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1997 on: April 12, 2017, 08:11:04 AM »
I don't know exactly why, but Nakmura doesn't do much for me at all. My current favorite would have to be Bobby Roode. He is tailer made for the main roster and needs to be brought up soon

They probably can't move Bobby Roode up too soon. They'll probably be relying on him to carry NXT for a while now without Nakamura and such.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1998 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
Yeah, I expect Roode to be the champ for a while down in NXT now that Nak's gone. Excited for tonight's episode of NXT, it's the first from the most recent batch of tapings.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1999 on: April 12, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
So a fan was ejected for showing up with a JBL bullied me sign. Seriously, WWE?! It's a sign. Like JBL is really going to take offense to that

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2000 on: April 12, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
So a fan was ejected for showing up with a JBL bullied me sign. Seriously, WWE?! It's a sign. Like JBL is really going to take offense to that

I think it's more a matter of WWE not wanting any discussion about what happened w/ Mauro. Could theoretically turn into bad publicity given his history of depression.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2001 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
JBL is such an asshole. The way he treats people is bullshit. Now I have no problem with some ribbing and ballbusting, it is wrestling for god's sake, but he takes shit way too far

and why not just take the damn sign. Ejecting a fan who paid is a little overboard.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:00:40 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2002 on: April 12, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »

I think it's more a matter of WWE not wanting any discussion about what happened w/ Mauro. Could theoretically turn into bad publicity given his history of depression.

Well, they are going to have to do something regarding this Mauro/JBL situation since the longer WWE does not do any necessary action regarding this scenario, the more people will talk about it and then it leads to bad publicity anyway.

I also hear that Mauro will not be commentating on anything WWE-related and his contract ends on August.  I hope NJPW or AXS TV nabs him if Mauro does not continue on with WWE.  He was golden on NJPW on AXS TV.  Had a great voice and enthusiasm for the product and he knows the company, moveset, and the wrestlers very well.  Would be a great asset to NJPW if he calls the live shows or did what he did with AXS TV back in 2015.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »
JBL just comes across as a jerk and I really think he is terrible as a color commentator as well.  He adds nothing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2004 on: April 12, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
I hope that guy gets better, but he's a horrible commentator. His exaggerated voice sounds cartoonish. So annoying.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2005 on: April 12, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
I really liked Mauros commentating style. He always sounds so enthusiastic like he was calling a real fight. Kinda like how the japanese commentary in NJPW is.

JBL being a dick is really well known so I wasn't surprised
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: April 12, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
Mauro and Daniel Bryan were a great pair during that cruiserweight tournament last year.  I hope he is able to stick around as he is my favorite commentator right now.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2007 on: April 12, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
I really liked Mauros commentating style. He always sounds so enthusiastic like he was calling a real fight. Kinda like how the japanese commentary in NJPW is.

JBL being a dick is really well known so I wasn't surprised

He reminds me of that one scene I saw on this cartoon called "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" where this commentator at a martial arts tournament stated something like, "THESE GUYS ARE DOING THE MOST DEVASTATING THINGS TO EACH OTHER.  OH MY GOODNESS, I NEVER SEEN SOMEONE'S SPINE BEND THAT WAY BEFORE!" 

That was my first impression of Mauro.  I like it.  He's a great guy for calling fights in any combat sport (MMA, Boxing, Pro Wrestling). He even commentated Brock Lesnar's first MMA fight.  Heck, Goldberg was on commentary as well for that one.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: April 13, 2017, 04:54:18 AM »
I was very impressed with Drew McIntyre in his debut/return on NXT; he looked very good and leaving the company for three years was the best decision he ever made.

And speaking of impressive, there was another debut on NXT. A guy named Dylan Miley. My goodness, what a beast!!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2009 on: April 13, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Also I was impressed with Ruby Riots first televised singles match against Kimberly Frankele (though I thought Kimber Lee was a much better ring name.) I see good things in the future for both women, Especially Ruby
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »
Yeah Ruby was good but I don't see anyone giving Asuka a serious challenge anytime soon.  Ember Moon is impressive, but still not at Asuka's level.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2011 on: April 22, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
Well, it seems like Mauro has officially parted with WWE.  Apparently, signed some form of NDA and got a settlement.  He probably won't be speaking any matters about this in the near future.  There are times someone probably wants someone to stand up to WWE over matters like these, but it's not going to be Mauro in this spot.  No matter.  What's done is done.   

What matters though is "GET MAURO TO NJPW IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, WHETHER IT IS CALLING LIVE SHOWS OR THE AXS TV RECAPS!"  He would be a big asset for NJPW to for them to continue getting traction and it would be a nice little way to stick it to WWE without being callous or anything.

I would legit watch English commentary of the live NJPW shows if Mauro is commentating it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:42:36 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: April 22, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
Mauro is a major loss for WWE. He is head and shoulders above everyone else as far as commentating

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2013 on: April 22, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »
I'm just going to pretend you guys are joking.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2014 on: April 22, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
I watch the NJPW shows in english when I can anyway. Though Mauros style is PERFECT for NJPW and would only make it better.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2015 on: April 22, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
Mauro is a major loss for WWE. He is head and shoulders above everyone else as far as commentating

He was the only one who wasn't a complete joke, although Corey Graves is pretty good as a colour commentator. Besides them, everyone else is just background noise I tune out entirely. The Cena/Styles matches were elevated so much because of him. He's the best commentator they've had since JR.
But we still have JBL. Yay..........
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: April 22, 2017, 11:19:21 PM »
I agree about Graves; he does a very good job.

I have no use for JBL

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2017 on: April 25, 2017, 05:18:19 AM »
I was seeing some hints of Brokeness last night on RAW. I think we may see a full breakdown at payback, which would be good timing since it felt a little like the audience has gotten over the initial pop of the hardys returning.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:32 AM »
I was seeing some hints of Brokeness last night on RAW. I think we may see a full breakdown at payback, which would be good timing since it felt a little like the audience has gotten over the initial pop of the hardys returning.

Believe it all depends on the legal battle he's fighting to keep the broken gimmick.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2019 on: April 25, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
I believe Matt said something on Twitter about winning the WWE tag titles curing his CONDEEEEESHUN, so I would expect they'll hold the titles until all the legal stuff gets sorted and then it'll be time for the Broken Hardys.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: April 25, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
Matt is using the delete mannerisms here and there which the crowd likes.  They just need to figure out a way to transition them into the broken characters as I'm assuming lots of people are unaware of their TNA gig.  Maybe hook them up with Bray Wyatt.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2021 on: April 26, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
How did the gimmick start? Did he bump his head or something?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2022 on: April 26, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
If memory serves me right, Jeff Hardy did a super Swanton Bomb (off a roof or ladder or something) on Matt Hardy through a table and then Matt Hardy went insane.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: April 30, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
Tonight's card should be pretty solid. I'm assuming Braun will go over and I'm curious how this House of Horrors plays out. I wonder if they will go with the violence or the cheesy angle for the match

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2024 on: April 30, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »
Vince McMahon never fails to ignore logical storytelling in favor of a cheap surprise.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2025 on: April 30, 2017, 10:25:08 PM »
Vince McMahon never fails to ignore logical storytelling in favor of a cheap surprise.

Vinny Mac has nothing on Vince Russo in that department lol.

Overall I'd give payback a B. The only duds for me were the house of horrors match and the Main event. Though Braun winning saved it a little bit.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2026 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »

Vinny Mac has nothing on Vince Russo in that department lol.

Overall I'd give payback a B. The only duds for me were the house of horrors match and the Main event. Though Braun winning saved it a little bit.

Jericho winning takes away the Owens-Styles match that had the potential to be match of the year. Alexa winning takes away the Sasha-Bayley feud that has been brewing for months and makes Bayley beating Charlotte's PPV streak mean nothing. At least Neville retained the belt in a very heelish way and Cesaro and Sheamus turned heel. Other than that and Braun beating Reigns, this PPV pissed me off.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: May 01, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »
I thought it was a pretty good show.  Braun vs Roman exceeded expectations and was a very good main event.  Braun is just an awesome monster and its quite amazing how good of matches he can have with people.

The House of Horrors was what I expected.  Pretty cheesy but I would still pick the Chamber of Horrors over it if you remember that cheese classic from Halloween Havoc 91.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2028 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:29 AM »
House of horrors entertained me in a "so bad its good" kind of way, but just barely. I kept thinking back to ultimate warrior getting betrayed by jake the snake and bitten by the cobra. Just uber cheese

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2029 on: May 01, 2017, 04:21:07 AM »
House of horrors was terrible. Like.... take the "LIVE" graphic off of it if it's pitch black at the house and still daylight at San Jose.

And I was under the impression that the Championship was on the line I mean, why on earth wouldn't it be?

Bliss winning the belt so early in her Raw "career" makes no sense. Jericho taking the US Title back was a surprise. And Stoman's build is being worked correctly, so very mixed on this show, but more bad than good.