Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203628 times)

Online ozzy554

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1960 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »
I thought taker did surprisingly well for the first half of the match.

The other half of the match i wish cena was there to help him.  If put with a better opponent i think takers last match could've been pretty good.  Instead they have him reigns who is ok at best

When taker ran out if steam it was obvious Roman didn't know how to cover for it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1961 on: April 02, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
Yeah, the first half was a solid brawl, and Taker took some bumps. That's probably what put him out of the second half though.
It needed to be more like Flair's last WM match against Michaels, where Michaels 100% carried the match for him. Undertaker needed someone who could wrestle around him.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1962 on: April 02, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »
I thought this was a great Mania with a lot of high points. My personal highlights, in order of when they happened, were:

-Rob Gronkowski tackling Jinder Mahal: First of all, congratulations to Mojo Rawley for winning the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. It was unexpected but I feel like he deserves it. I'm not a big fan of his gimmick, but he's a nice guy so I would like to see him succeed. Anyway, as much as I dislike the Patriots (dislike actually doesn't even begin to describe my feelings towards them), Gronk is pretty awesome, and if he was with a different team, he would be one of my favorite players. Also, I hate Jinder Mahal with a sick passion. He wrestles a very unsafe style, is very clearly on steroids, and is only there because the company needs a guy to cater to their very large Indian market otherwise he would have been suspended for steroids a long time ago. Gronk taking that waste of a contract down and helping Mojo win was a very cool celebrity moment that was done right (to put over an up and coming superstar instead of themselves).

-AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon: I thought it started out slow but really picked up in the middle. AJ could carry a paper bag to a five star match so I'm not surprised that the match was good with the right person winning. I still wish it was Angle or Michaels instead of Shane though.

-Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho: They really brought it. The finger on the rope spot was hilarious and well done, and the right man went over in the end.

-The triple pin on Nia Jax: Reminiscent of what #DIY and The Revival did against Authors of Pain on Saturday night, Bayley, Sasha, and Charlotte working together against Nia was perfect booking, showing the strength of Jax and how much the title means to the other three, with them willing to put aside their differences to take out the toughest challenge. I will say I was surprised at first with how they booked the ending, with Bayley winning by pinning Charlotte last instead of Sasha turning heel and taking the title from Bayley, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Bayley came out looking like a strong champion, proving that she doesn't need Sasha's help to win/keep the title. May this mark the end of the hot potato and mark the beginning of a good title reign, so that when Nia Jax beats Bayley for the belt, it will mean that much more.

-The Hardy Boyz returning: I felt that the AJ-Shane match and the Owens-Jericho match were both better, but the tag team title ladder match had the best moment of the night. As soon as that iconic music hit, I marked out. The Hardy Boyz have always been my favorite tag team, with Jeff being one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, and seeing them back in WWE was amazing. Them winning the titles in their signature match (which was Jeff's first Mania win btw) was just the icing on the cake. A great match with an awesome moment and outcome.

-The proposal: We all knew it was happening, but it still was a feel good moment that called back to Savage and Elizabeth at Wrestlemania 7. Congratulations to John Cena and Nikki Bella. I wish them both all of the happiness in the world.

-Stephanie McMahon goes through a table: This one is simple. Anytime Steph gets her comeuppance is a great moment and it was done in a smart way. Triple H accidentally knocking her off the apron after a superkick from Seth made it so that we could have payoff without having a man purposely hit a woman, which is something that should never happen ever, let alone on a PG television program.

-All of the hard hitting moments of Lesnar vs Goldberg: These two put on a surprisingly good match. It was short but boy did they pack in a good amount of action into the five minutes that they fought. German suplexes and spears galore in a match that was full of big moves without too much time spent doing nothing (*cough Wrestlemania 20 cough*). Once again the right person won, and as much as I dislike Lesnar, he comes around more lately than he used to, and is certainly a better choice than Goldberg as the top champion on the A show. It will be interesting to see who beats him for the title. I'm gonna guess either Reigns (gross), Strowman (ok I guess), Samoa Joe (awesome), or Sami Zayn (unlikely but what a great story it would be).

-Naomi winning the Smackdown Women's Championship in her hometown: Short match, no surprises here, and Naomi deserved this moment. Not much else to say. I'm just very happy for her.

-Undertaker leaves his gloves, jacket, and hat in the ring: This was an ok match overall, and I do feel that the right person won considering Taker is the past while Roman is the future (even though I'm not his biggest fan), but it could have been better. However, The Phenom leaving his gear in the ring, essentially saying that he's retiring, was an emotional moment and a fitting way to close out Mania, letting the man who is synonymous with the event walk out of the arena last.

Overall, I really enjoyed Wrestlemania 33, and it definitely exceeded the low expectations I had for it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »
The show exceeded my expectations too. I marked out when the Hardys came out. I knew they would be back but it still seemed strange seeing them.

Both the Shane-AJ and Brock//Goldberg match was better then I thought they would be. The Goldberg match was just a five minute blitz of power and destruction; I really liked it.

I thought Bray deserved to hang onto the title for longer as Randy doesn't need a title at this point of his career.

Beautiful and emotional ending for Taker; I assume he will be inducted next year into the Hall of Fame.

Great card overall

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: April 03, 2017, 12:13:42 AM »
Even though my expectations were almost zero, it well surpassed my expectations, and was a solid WM. My favourite thing is that they didn't really pad it out. The New Day appeared exactly as much as necessary. There was no appearance by the Rock this year (thank god). The show flowed fairly smoothly, and most of the time went into the wrestling (and entrances). Even during the matches I didn't care about, it didn't drag.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:35 AM »
I was very surprised the Rock didn't show up considering he has two movies coming out.

The New Day were pretty irrelevant as hosts but I will say their set up for the Hardys was absolutely perfect. They had me hook line and sinker

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1966 on: April 03, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
I'll probably put together some match-by-match thoughts when I'm home and killing time before Raw tonight, but overall this was a fairly solid Wrestlemania, I'm thinking B/B- overall. Certainly no five star classics, but nothing really terrible either, and I mostly agree with the booking decisions.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: April 03, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
I was overall very disappointed with Wrestlemania.... I mean, this Roman thing is beyond ridiculous. They've used the Rock, Daniel Bryan, Trips and Taker to try to make him "the guy".... and it's failed miserably. They take all the booing as... "he's getting a reaction, so we're doing something right".... but it's not that at all. But alas, they're too big to fail. Brock will be next on the "make Reigns the guy" tour, but they'll milk it for a whole year and tout that these are the only two guys to beat Taker at Mania.  In the meantime, Braun will magically remember that he has beef with Roman.

The Memorial Battle Royal SHOULD have been about Show and Stroman, but mojo knows a famous person, so there you have it. But really, the thing has no merit, as they didn't capitalize Cesaro winning the first one.

Bray losing to Orton was pretty terrible and throws basically everything that has happened surrounding the WWE Championship since January out the window. Terrible, terrible decision.

Brock and Goldberg was terrible. They certainly didn't need to soil the Universal Championship with that mess.

But.. the women's matches were good (although the Smackdown Match was extremely rushed).. KO/Jericho was great, AJ and Shane was fantastic! Hardys coming back was awesome, and Trips vs. Rollins was perfect.

Now that Mania is over, we can get back to the actual full time workers getting the shine, well outside of Brock of course.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1968 on: April 03, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
Its a shame Sting got injured, because when he got signed I would have liked Taker's retirement to also be Sting's retirement, facing off together. Oh well

Or do the brock/goldberg thing where sting comes in, defeats taker and then taker gets the glory back at WM

Taker deserved better than reigns though. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:37:11 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1969 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
Raw is pretty great so far. We already had Kurt Angle named as GM and the main roster debut of The Revival.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: April 03, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
And finally the return of Emma!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1971 on: April 03, 2017, 08:19:41 PM »
And finally the return of Emma!

She's so cool. And I loved how when Nia started beating the shit out Charlotte, Emma noped the fuck out of there.

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1972 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »
My internet access was down for two days, so I couldn't watch it online for free somewhere (regardless of how bad the product is now, WM is still worth checking out...for free), but I followed it a bit on Twitter.

I didn't watch wrestling for like 10 years, so I missed most of the Hardy Boys run, except Jeff's feud with CM Punk where he lost and had to leave WWE.  So them coming back didn't do anything for me.

Undertaker has looked terrible for years, so him retiring was long overdue.  He probably should have gotten a better opponent than Reigns, but it is what it is. 

Has New Day's stock dropped so far that they only got to host it and didn't wrestle??

There is literally nothing they can do anymore to make the fans like Reigns.  He is a boring, one-dimensional wrestler who is a mediocre talker.  And Vince pushing him like he has just makes fans hate him more.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1973 on: April 03, 2017, 09:16:54 PM »
My internet access was down for two days, so I couldn't watch it online for free somewhere (regardless of how bad the product is now, WM is still worth checking out...for free), but I followed it a bit on Twitter.

I didn't watch wrestling for like 10 years, so I missed most of the Hardy Boys run, except Jeff's feud with CM Punk where he lost and had to leave WWE.  So them coming back didn't do anything for me.

Undertaker has looked terrible for years, so him retiring was long overdue.  He probably should have gotten a better opponent than Reigns, but it is what it is. 

Has New Day's stock dropped so far that they only got to host it and didn't wrestle??

There is literally nothing they can do anymore to make the fans like Reigns.  He is a boring, one-dimensional wrestler who is a mediocre talker.  And Vince pushing him like he has just makes fans hate him more.

New day was tag champs for over 400 days. Im all for keeping them out of the tag title scene for awhile.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: April 03, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
I was watching a crappy stream of the Taker match and it kept freezing, and froze after the second count of the final three count. Man that was an agonizing stretch of a couple seconds for it to reconnect. Maybe it was the gods way of sparing me the final three count. Thank you Mark for all you have done for wrestling. And I feel secure in the belief I won't see you stumbling around a TNA or ROH ring in a couple months (Hi Ric!)

I should feel better about his retirement. I love that he got his moment, and the crowd was able to express their appreciation. But, I can't explain it, I felt good about Flair's (WWE) retirement, and he, along with Taker, have been my favorite wrestlers since the 90s. This one just leaves me feeling a little empty I guess.

In other news, that was an epic speech by Cornette at the HOF. I love that guy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1975 on: April 04, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »
Matt wasn't in character on Raw Talk...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1976 on: April 04, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
Let me get this straight:

Last night on RAW, the fans booed Roman Reigns unmercifully, but cheered like crazy when Vince came out?? :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Idiots.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1977 on: April 04, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »
Matt wasn't in character on Raw Talk...

Anthem (a Canadian company who now owns TNA and is not related in any way with Rush.) apparently has the legal rights to the Broken gimmick and, to sum it up, if Matt wants to be Broken Matt Hardy in a wrestling company that's not in TNA, he has to pay Anthem a fee and WWE doesn't seem to be interested in wanting to help Matt fight back (especially when in the past, they always had a "not too heavily invested in what they did not create" mentality when it comes down to gimmicks.  Of course, recent times have changed that a bit especially when it comes to the booking and presentation of AJ Styles.).  Matt Hardy is on his own in his fight to remain broken.  If he does win the fight, I hope WWE can be convinced to run the ball with Broken Matt Hardy.  That character is really been the first time in about 10-15 years that Matt Hardy has become interesting from a character perspective.

That stated, Jeff does not need to be broken or Brother Nero.  If he can tone down his wrestling style like HBK did during his second WWE run and remain to be clean and not relapse, then maybe WWE can trust him with the ball and be a big-main event player and sell loads of merchandise and produce some good matches/stories like he did in 2009.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1978 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
He should dye his hair white with one black streak and be fractured Matt Hardy. Erase, Erase, Erase

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1979 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
Nakamura and Tye Dillinger are now on Smackdown. This is good news.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:39 PM »
It was expected, and it's about time Nakamura was on the main roster! Hopefully they don't screw it up, but I expect they will. I'm excited about the potential match-ups they could do now though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1981 on: April 05, 2017, 05:47:52 AM »
Now that Nakamura is there, I will probably start watching Smackdown again, for the first time in 15 years. He is hands down my favorite wrestler for this era, with Finn Balor and AJ being close number 2's

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1982 on: April 05, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
Very excited for Nak on the main roster, and I really hope I see him feuding with Miz because that would be all kinds of entertaining. Kind of awkward to introduce all these new call-ups right before they have this superstar shakeup thing.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1983 on: April 05, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
Nakamura got on the right show though, Smackdown.  Hopefully, the key guys like Cena, Styles, The Miz, Ambrose, Orton etc. stays there and we can get some pretty awesome matches and interactions and stuff.  Plus, DB is dying to want to face him one-on-one and would probably do all he can to convince WWE to do so, just as a one-off from his forceful retirement.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: April 05, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »
Nakamura and Tye Dillinger are now on Smackdown. This is good news.

This will be very interesting!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1985 on: April 07, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »
Anybody else besides me a fan of OSW review?

They are 3 irish dudes that review old and new wrestling pay per views. They are funny as hell and talk about backstage stuff as they are reviewing the pay per view.

https://oswreview.com/episodes/

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: April 07, 2017, 05:27:11 AM »
I'm interested to see how this Superstar shakeup works out.  Hopefully it leads to some renewed pushes.

And it's impressive how over Dillinger and Nakamura are

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: April 07, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »
I'm interested to see how this Superstar shakeup works out.  Hopefully it leads to some renewed pushes.

More likely it will lead to Roman Reigns steamrolling over the other half of the roster. :P

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: April 07, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »

More likely it will lead to Roman Reigns steamrolling over the other half of the roster. :P

That's a strong possibility

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1989 on: April 10, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
Braun Strowman for president :hefdaddy
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1990 on: April 10, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »
Braun Strowman for president :hefdaddy

That was amazing. I was dying laughing. :rollin

The crowd ate it up too.

-MirrorMask

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1991 on: April 11, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »
Overall I thought Raw was a fun show last night. Though I am puzzled by some of the trades. Especially the bray wyatt one. Also I guess the mysterious House of horrors match will be at Payback even though its for Smackdowns main title.

My guess they did this because they wanted a title match for the show and Lesnar won't be there to defend the universal title.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1992 on: April 11, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
KO in a suit doing the Canada gimmick, yuck

and wow, Smackdown is awful. Its been like 15 years since I've watched an episode and I only checked it out for Nakamura, but man. Him and styles are just not enough. It feels like such a B show.

And its funny how Nakamura is booked like he's being slowly introduced to the WWE crowd, except for the fact he's the most over and well known guy on the roster  :lol
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:39:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1993 on: April 11, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
Smackdown is better than raw most weeks.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: April 12, 2017, 03:05:23 AM »
The triple threat on Smackdown was very good.

It would have been nice to have them explain a bit better how this superstar shake up worked. How did all of a sudden did all of these superstars switch brands? Traded, drafted, who knows

I think a better way to have done it would have been to have Angle and Bryan partake in a draft last night on Raw. The champions should have been exempt to switch. And then both Angle and Bryan could have protected say three other superstars. But then after that each GM could pick five superstars from the opposite brand to switch over. This would have been a good opportunity to have underutilizes wrestlers switch brands and get a renewed switch.

At least something like that would have made it organized instead of just seemingly random