Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203672 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1855 on: March 22, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
I love me some broken Matt Hardy

Delete!!  :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1856 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
Considering its been such a major success on a low level show like Impact, it could just be huge on the big stage.  Or then again, it could be a complete flop in WWE.  It would be interesting to see regardless.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1857 on: March 22, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »
Vince will probably rebrand it to Fractured Matt hardy with Backspace chants, legion of doom style  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1858 on: March 22, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »
 :lol

I haven't followed it too closely but Anthem is saying they own the rights to Broken while Matt is saying he owns it.  Sounds like a court case is pending.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1859 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
In no order:

1. CM Punk
2. Stone Cold
3. Kane
4. Jeff Hardy
5. Triple H
6. AJ Styles
7. Goldberg
8. The Rock
9. Sting
10. Kurt Angle

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: March 23, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »
Pretty neat article on "Shocked Undertaker Guy" from Wrestlemania XXX and how that reaction literally changed his life for the better.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2688749-how-wrestlemania-xxx-changed-everything-for-shocked-undertaker-guy

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1861 on: March 23, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
Pretty neat article on "Shocked Undertaker Guy" from Wrestlemania XXX and how that reaction literally changed his life for the better.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2688749-how-wrestlemania-xxx-changed-everything-for-shocked-undertaker-guy

My favorite part of this is that Undertaker actually wanted to meet him. That picture of the Deadman impersonating him is priceless.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: March 23, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
That was a cool read.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1863 on: March 23, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Evidently WWE approached Shawn Michaels about having a Wrestlemania match this year with AJ Styles. He said no :( Even now, that would probably be so good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1864 on: March 23, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
Sadly it looks like that dream match will just have to be reserved for my imagination  :'(

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: March 23, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Retirement matches mean very little in the world of pro wrestling, but Shawn appears to be the rare exception where he is true to his word

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: March 23, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Wonder when that offer was. I remember seeing in an interview Vince starts thinking abotu the upcoming Wrestlemania the day after the previous Wrestlemania. Of course a lot can happen in 364 days, but the last few WMs seems like they are being conceived haphazardly.

Cool story about Shocked-by-the-Streak-Ending guy. Once the internet captures you, you can either fight it, or make the best of it. And to date, no one has come out on top after taking on the internet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1867 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
Evidently WWE approached Shawn Michaels about having a Wrestlemania match this year with AJ Styles. He said no :( Even now, that would probably be so good.

That would be an absolute dream match for me, but I'm glad that Michaels has stuck to his word. I have no doubt he could still work the best match of all time, but he went out on top, and has nothing left to prove. WWE also needs to realize they have a roster full of guys who deserve singles matches at WM, instead of constantly relying on part timers and nostalgia. They're screwing themselves over in the long run.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1868 on: March 23, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »
That would be an absolute dream match for me, but I'm glad that Michaels has stuck to his word. I have no doubt he could still work the best match of all time, but he went out on top, and has nothing left to prove. WWE also needs to realize they have a roster full of guys who deserve singles matches at WM, instead of constantly relying on part timers and nostalgia. They're screwing themselves over in the long run.

I agree.  It just feels like they have really no faith in rolling with guys like Owens, Sami Zayn, Cesaro, Ambrose, etc. as their top guys (i.e. the guys that came from the indies after Punk and Bryan) and they have been consistently shooting themselves in the foot with the pushing of Roman Reigns rather than take the crowd pissing on him and make it something that plays well into his strengths.  However, you got to look at this from WWE's perspective.  The current guys just does not seem to really latch on with the casual crowds for the most part for some reason.  Whether that's booking/writing being crap whatever, or something else is a different story.  Anyway, so WWE has to find other ways to ensure big paydays and attendance and ratings and whatnot and this is where they are going for them.  I think WWE knows it as well they are shooting themselves in the foot long run, but they care about wanting the guarantee revenue more rather than take a hit, but ensure a good future.

Unfortunately, like music, people only care about the wrestlers of the "glory" years like Attitude Era, and the Monday Night Wars like how casual rock music fans only care about old-time bands wanting to hear the nostalgic hits that makes them want to relive their youth and wouldn't even invest into listening something more current or modern.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: March 23, 2017, 10:35:06 PM »
The problem is that the current roster is too restricted by crappy booking and being heavily scripted, so there's less room for wrestlers to get the crowd invested in them. The storylines (or lack thereof) don't get people interested, and they don't allow the wrestlers to connect with the audience naturally and organically. WWE micromanages everything too heavily and overreacts to the tiniest things.

When they bring back in part timers like The Rock, those same rules don't even apply. People like The Rock and Steve Austin wouldn't have become the wrestling legends they are if they hadn't been allowed to do their own thing. A lot of the most popular things that audiences have latched onto have been created by the wrestlers without trying, not by WWE intentionally. It's difficult for this to even happen with how things are run these days.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1870 on: March 24, 2017, 05:04:01 AM »

No shit.  Imagine if they kept bringing back the likes of Big John Studd, Snuka, Morrocco etc... in the late 90s and early 00s.  How popular would Rock/Austin/HHH etc... be if the WWE's current strategy was employed 15-20 years ago.  They aren't going to have any nostalgia factor in 5-10 years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1871 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »
Evidently the Hardys took down their official online store, probably a precursor to a WWE return. I could see them coming back on the post Mania Raw. Have Gallows and Anderson retain at Mania and cut a promo the next night. Kill the lights, start some kind of classical piano music, and then the Broken Hardys show up.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: March 27, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
The Raw after Mania is one of, if not the most, must see show of the year.  They actually just released a DVD about that specific yearly Raw.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1873 on: March 27, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
Yeah, that's only really happened the last couple years, but it's become a pretty big event. Should be a couple cool debuts this year (hopefully including Nakamura).
Photobucket sucks.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: March 27, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
I would be very surprised if Nakamura doesn't show up.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
Hopefully the Smackdown Live after Wrestlemania gets similar treatment.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1876 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Hopefully the Smackdown Live after Wrestlemania gets similar treatment.

If the Hardys come back, I think they'll go to Smackdown so hopefully that happens the Smackdown after Mania.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: March 27, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »
I don't watch TNA or wherever they are, but have seen stuff on youtube, and don't get Broken Matt Hardy.

On paper this WM card looks pretty good. But wrestling doesn't take place on paper, it takes place on TV screens.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
The Raw after Mania is one of, if not the most, must see show of the year.  They actually just released a DVD about that specific yearly Raw.

I actually stopped watching Raw after the Raw after Mania a couple of years ago. The crowd were just attention seeking douchebags being disrespectful to the wrestlers and hijacking the show.
After this year's Mania I might just stop watching Mania altogether too. :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1879 on: March 28, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
"Alright Bill, you can make me look like a bitch leading up to our match at Mania, but I get to win."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1880 on: March 28, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »

On paper this WM card looks pretty good.
But wrestling doesn't take place on paper, it takes place on TV screens.

I looked it over, and I have to ask:

It does?

Lesnar vs Goldberg, who put on shit matches in the 90s and is 20 years older now?

A major talent like AJ Styles being wasted against a non-wrestler like Shane McMahon, who has the most laughably ridiculous style ever (he looks like a moron when he punches like he's a boxer).

Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker, who is so old and broken down now that he cannot even do a choke slam properly (I watched the Royal Rumble from this year a few weeks ago on YT and couldn't believe how bad he looked).

Seth Rollins vs HHH, which will be another "HHH dominates his opponent, but loses" match.

Cena and Miz in a mixed tag, which are almost always are joke matches.

Orton and Jericho both in matches against fat guys who look like they haven't lifted in years.

Yowza.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1881 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »

On paper this WM card looks pretty good.
But wrestling doesn't take place on paper, it takes place on TV screens.

I looked it over, and I have to ask:

It does?

Lesnar vs Goldberg, who put on shit matches in the 90s and is 20 years older now?

A major talent like AJ Styles being wasted against a non-wrestler like Shane McMahon, who has the most laughably ridiculous style ever (he looks like a moron when he punches like he's a boxer).

Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker, who is so old and broken down now that he cannot even do a choke slam properly (I watched the Royal Rumble from this year a few weeks ago on YT and couldn't believe how bad he looked).

Seth Rollins vs HHH, which will be another "HHH dominates his opponent, but loses" match.

Cena and Miz in a mixed tag, which are almost always are joke matches.

Orton and Jericho both in matches against fat guys who look like they haven't lifted in years.

Yowza.

That's not fair to either Wyatt or Owens (especially Owens). Both are great wrestlers who can bring out the best in their opponents. To write them off because they're both a bit overweight just isn't right.

-MirrorMask

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1882 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
The Higher ups obviously believe that shane is a High level feud. I think that it should be a fun match,. If anybody can carry shane to a fun match it's AJ Styles.

I felt the way you did about the mixed tag match when it was first announced but I've enjoyed the segments on SDL so much that now I'm actually really looking forward to it.

I also love Bray & Owens, 2 of my favorites on the roster and I am looking forward to both of their matches.

Im also really looking forward to austin aries vs Neville, Baron corbin vs Dean Ambrose, The raw tag team triple threat ladder match and both women's title matches.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
That's not fair to either Wyatt or Owens (especially Owens). Both are great wrestlers who can bring out the best in their opponents. To write them off because they're both a bit overweight just isn't right.

Yeah, I was onboard until that last one. Owens is one of the best guys they have, and that's one of the best storylines they've had in recent times. That's the only men's match I'm looking forward to. Now that the women's match is elimination, I'm more excited for that too. Those are the only two matches I'm excited for at all. I'm quite dreading the rest.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: March 29, 2017, 05:24:21 AM »
There are a lot of scheduled matches, and all can have decent to good timing if they don't waste so much time showing the video packages that they've shown in the weeks/days leading up to the event.

Jericho/Owens and Neville/Aries will be spectacular.

Goldberg and Lesnar is a joke.

Rollins/Trips and Orton/Wyatt will be great.

AJ and Shane will surprise.

Taker/Reigns will probably have its moments.

Ambrose/Corbin will be decent, but not Mania worthy, if that makes sense.

All in all... it will probably be an up and down show.. hopefully with more ups than downs.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:28 AM »
Check that...Neville/Aries could be spectacular, but they'll probably be pressed for time.

NXT Takeover should be outstanding...as usual.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: March 29, 2017, 06:48:31 AM »
I agree about the video packages. A quick set up is cool but when they play out the entire feud on video before each match, it makes an already long card unnessasary longer.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: March 29, 2017, 07:23:35 AM »
There are a lot of scheduled matches, and all can have decent to good timing if they don't waste so much time showing the video packages that they've shown in the weeks/days leading up to the event.

Jericho/Owens and Neville/Aries will be spectacular.

Goldberg and Lesnar is a joke.

Rollins/Trips and Orton/Wyatt will be great.

AJ and Shane will surprise.

Taker/Reigns will probably have its moments.

Ambrose/Corbin will be decent, but not Mania worthy, if that makes sense.

All in all... it will probably be an up and down show.. hopefully with more ups than downs.

Jericho / Owens is going to be great. The trash talk alone should make it a classic.

Neville vs Aries will probably be great, except I won't even get to see it because it's on the pre-show. :(

Goldberg and Lesnar will be the drizzling shits. It will also probably be the shortest main event in WM history. I have not forgotten WM 20, and I don't expect the circumstances this time will make it any better. Goldberg is old, and he's not match fit.

Rollins / HHH should be alright, but only because of Rollins. HHH isn't in ring shape any more, and wasn't great at the best of times. He needs to stop wrestling. And I still wouldn't be surprised if HHH puts himself over. Even when HHH loses, he makes himself come out looking stronger. The best I expect from this is an uneventful win for Rollins that will go about twice as long as it should.

Orton / Wyatt I couldn't care less about. I couldn't name a single great match with either of them from the past decade. But I do really hope that Wyatt wins it, otherwise the whole thing is for nothing. He deserves that much.

AJ / Shane is a joke to me. Also, it's presently a standard match, which is even more of an insult. A random middle aged dude vs arguably the greatest wrestler in the world at the moment. That should not be a competitive match. BUT SHANE WILL DO A PRE-PLANNED SPOT!

Taker / Reigns is going to be awful. Taker can literally barely walk, can hardly bump, and Reigns can't wrestle or carry a match. That match will be short and disappointing, and it's also very possible that Reigns is going to win. I foresee the crowd turning on this one hard.

Ambrose/Corbin will be whatever. It will probably be a throwaway in the second spot, not good, not bad, just there. I'll probably zone out during that one.

The triple threat ladder match for the tag belts should be solid, but it will be the same thing we've seen a hundred times before from these kinds of matches. It could make a decent opener.

The mixed tag with Cena is a waste of one of their best wrestlers. Cena and Miz have certainly made the best out of a bad situation, but it's hugely disappointing booking.

The women's match may be the best match as it was last year.

And I swear, if I hear the Rock's music, I'm done. :lol

At least I'll be watching it live again, which makes it more exciting regardless of what's on the show.

I'll definitely be checking out NXT Takeover! The title matches alone have me excited.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: March 29, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »
The one thing with that Shane/AJ set up that was stupid was when AJ threw Shane into the car window.  WHY was there a camera inside the car showing that vantage point????  That made the angle so dumb and pre set up.

I'm looking forward to the Owens/Jericho match as I think that can steal the show.

Is it possible that Lesnar squashes Goldberg in a minute and thats the end of Goldberg.  I can see that happening as I can't see them having a very long match.

Just looking over the card, there isn't much that I'm really craving to see, but everything has the potential to be decent-very good.  Maybe it will be like WM 31, which I didn't think would be that great, but exceeded my expectations.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1889 on: March 29, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
HHH is still in fantastic shape
Do you read Sutter Cane?