Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203706 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1715 on: January 30, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
Been watching some Mid-Atlantic/JCP/SMW (not Super Mario World) videos on YT lately. Is it safe to say the Rock N Roll Express were pretty over in the 80s?

I know the knock on them is that they appealed mainly to the training bra crowd, as Flair would have put it, but these guys were huge.

https://youtu.be/S-tUHi8tfG0?t=1m6s
Those were my glory days in wrestling, and yes, the RnR Express were huge.

The Jim Crockett era of wrestling was the best.  The talent and matches were well above WWF, but the marketing was terrible and lead to their downfall.  Flair, Horsemen, Rhodes, Magnum TA, Road Warriors, RnR Express, Midnight Express, Sting, Nikita, Luger, etc.  Classic matches.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1716 on: January 30, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »
Yep, from about 1981 to about 1987 or so, NWA/Mid-Atlantic Wrestling was unbelievably awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #1717 on: January 30, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
WM is shaping up to be awful.
It looks like that's the norm nowadays, same with the rumble. They have fuck it up for the past 5 years.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1718 on: January 30, 2017, 08:10:21 AM »
I know wrestling is scripted.....hell we all know that. But if you're going to have a tumbler or bingo cage or whatever tf it's call allegedly used to give people random numbers... then you can't have a guy who has the number 10 as a gimmick come out at number 10....you shouldn't have the former tag team champs come out back to back. You can't have Taker Brock and Brock's daddy all come out in the final 5...and you sure as hell can't have Superman Reigns come out at 30. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to a certain extent.

Couple that with no surprise entrants....Cena winning again after a lengthy break and Another insider Rumble win...and that show was a huge disappointment.....to me
...not to them, they made millions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1719 on: January 30, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
So glad I stopped watching this crap. Vince continues to shit all over the heads of fans with a terrible product, and fans continue to say, "Thanks for the hat." :P

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1720 on: January 30, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
So glad I stopped watching this crap. Vince continues to shit all over the heads of fans with a terrible product, and fans continue to say, "Thanks for the hat." :P

In another forum where someone had a Royal Rumble 2017 thread and stated in the OP, "Regardless of the state of the product, the rumble should almost be guaranteed to be a good match."  I stated "Oh no, I'm not falling for that again.  The last time I fell for that was in Royal Rumble 2014 and it turned out to be a big disappointment."  With the exception of the main event of WM 30, and some of the NXT: Takeover shows, I hadn't watched anything from WWE since then.

WWE had killed my love for professional wrestling back in 2013-2014.  NJPW brought that love back in 2015 and I'm just sitting here waiting for this weekend where NJPW is going to do their big event of the month, "The New Beginning." and I'm going to watch it and I know that regardless of results/match quality/etc. I'm going to have a good time watching it and it's going to be worth the time.  Wrestle Kingdom was over 5 hours long and I had a blast watching the whole thing.  I don't think any other promotion, but NJPW, can convince me to watch a 5-hour supershow.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1721 on: January 30, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
I know wrestling is scripted.....hell we all know that. But if you're going to have a tumbler or bingo cage or whatever tf it's call allegedly used to give people random numbers... then you can't have a guy who has the number 10 as a gimmick come out at number 10....you shouldn't have the former tag team champs come out back to back. You can't have Taker Brock and Brock's daddy all come out in the final 5...and you sure as hell can't have Superman Reigns come out at 30. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to a certain extent.

Couple that with no surprise entrants....Cena winning again after a lengthy break and Another insider Rumble win...and that show was a huge disappointment.....to me

Tye Dillinger entering at number 10 was too prefect to not happen truthfully. All of the fan pages I follow were begging for it before the PPV. As for the Roman thing, he shouldn't have even been in the Rumble match. And if he was in it after having a world title match earlier in the night then why wasn't Styles? Roman being in that match completely went against kayfabe and while things are different now and there's a lot of aspects of wrestling where kayfabe can be ignored, the actual wrestling aspect of it should still be treated as real. Roman being in the Rumble after having a world title match earlier in the night tells the fans that he was scripted to lose which is a big no-no even in today's world where everyone knows that the match results are predetermined. Also, the fact that the WWE thinks that Roman was worthy of the number 30 spot in the Rumble, a spot that's typically reserved for a returning or legendary superstar, as well as thinking that he's worthy of eliminating and potentially having a Wrestlemania match with The Undertaker, shows how out of touch with the fans they truly are. WWE had done a good job of getting Reigns back into the fans good graces and he was actually starting to get some cheers but with the sound of a buzzer they undid all of that.

On a more positive note, Samoa Joe made his main roster debut tonight, attacking Seth Rollins and setting up a potential Wrestlemania match between them. It looks like he'll be playing the role of Triple H's enforcer, and even though a lot of fans have been hoping for a Seth/HHH match, I respect that Triple H may be stepping away to open up a spot for the younger guys and Seth vs Joe is a potential show stealer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:36:14 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: January 30, 2017, 11:40:05 PM »
Unless Styles wins the belt back at Elimination Chamber (which he should have never lost tonight to begin with), we'll be getting Cena vs Orton. Again.

Possibly.  I'm not sure how they would fit Wyatt into that picture, though.  I don't see them having Orton wrestle Cena for the championship while Wyatt just cheers on from the sidelines, so we may end up with something a little bit different. 

Maybe Wyatt will command Orton to surrender his title opportunity to Wyatt.  It could go a couple different ways from there.  If WWE creative really wants to commit to the story of Orton being loyal to Wyatt, Orton could actually give his spot to Wyatt, and we could end up with Wyatt wrestling Cena for the championship.  Or, as I think is more likely, we could see Orton rebel against Wyatt, which could potentially lead to a triple threat match with Orton, Wyatt, and Cena (or whoever wins the title at the chamber, but Cena seems most likely).

Or, here's a thought: what if Wyatt wins the title at Elimination Chamber?  Not likely, granted, but not outside of the realm of possibility, either, especially if Orton interferes to help him.  Then Cena could invoke his rematch clause to inset himself and make it a triple threat, or, fuck it, a fatal four way with Styles. 

Or we could actually just have Orton vs. Wyatt at Mania.  That could be an interesting little story for the Road to Wrestlemania.  Wyatt could expect Orton to lay down for him in the main event.  There could be a lot of speculation about whether Orton would actually go through with it.  Then when the match finally comes, Orton bows his head and lets Wyatt set him up for Sister Abigail.  Wyatt kisses him on the forehead, then Orton spins out of it and hits an RKO right off the bat.  Wyatt kicks out and rolls out of the ring stunned, and - boom.  Suddenly we could have a pretty interesting match on our hands.  Alternatively, Orton could rebel before WrestleMania, setting up a feud where Wyatt has been abandoned by the last of his family and is now angrier and more dangerous than ever.

I don't know.  I think there could be some interestin possibilities.

Of course, this is WWE creative we are talking about, so there is always a chance that they will just drop the Orton/Wyatt relationship without explanation and pretend it never happened while Orton wrestles Cena for the millionth time.   
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1723 on: January 30, 2017, 11:43:40 PM »
The thing is, though regarding the Roman scenario, this was not the first time WWE had someone come into the Royal Rumble after losing a World title shot in the same night.  Kurt Angle lost a WWE Championship match, got pinned as well, in 2005.  Stole one guy's number, backstage, and entered the Royal Rumble and suplexed everyone in the ring.  He only lasted about a minute though before being eliminated by HBK (which then set up the dream match at the time at Wrestlemania 21).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1724 on: January 31, 2017, 01:02:46 AM »
A sore loser heel cheating his way into getting a chance in the rumble to regain the belt, then being quickly denied that opportunity by someone else, setting up a feud for WM? Good booking.

Someone who's constantly pushed down the fans' throats being naturally given two chances at the belt in one night, and the best spot in the Rumble, after already having endless chances at the belt in the past? Bad booking. Not as bad booking as the past two Rumbles though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1725 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
A sore loser heel cheating his way into getting a chance in the rumble to regain the belt, then being quickly denied that opportunity by someone else, setting up a feud for WM? Good booking.

Someone who's constantly pushed down the fans' throats being naturally given two chances at the belt in one night, and the best spot in the Rumble, after already having endless chances at the belt in the past? Bad booking. Not as bad booking as the past two Rumbles though.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1726 on: January 31, 2017, 01:12:38 AM »
Well, when you lay it out like that, then of course, the booking of this year's Rumble was terrible.  I just think the idea that the whole action itself going against kayfabe seems a bit weak to me.  Of course, if Roman Reigns was the heel, which people have been begging for a long long time now, that Kurt Angle was back then, there probably would be not as much hostility for the booking.

Note, since I do not care about WWE's booking or their product, nowadays, I am neither mad, upset, or happy with the booking they made regarding the rumble. I just wanted to add some facts that is related to that and get people's thoughts.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: January 31, 2017, 01:40:16 AM »
I don't have a problem in principle with someone losing a title match, then getting another shot in the Royal Rumble (just assume that whoever lost the match got that chance). The problem was that it was bad booking in this instance when you look at the circumstances.

Nobody expected Reigns would be in this Rumble because he already had a match, so that final spot was a real opportunity for a surprise, with many people anticipating Samoa Joe or Balor (although I didn't think he was ready for a return anyway). Keep in mind that the last few spots had included Goldberg, Lesnar, and The Undertaker. The ending of this Rumble was actually huge.
Then they completely deflated the Rumble by giving that best spot to the very person who is responsible for the incredibly poor reception of the previous two Rumbles, showing an apparent lack of regard and understanding of the fanbase. Even if Reigns had entered the Rumble earlier, but lasted till the end, that would have improved the situation. Then they still could have set up the Undertaker feud. And that was another problem. It also confirmed their plans for Reigns and Taker, which was another huge kick in the teeth for many people.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: January 31, 2017, 06:03:29 AM »

On a more positive note, Samoa Joe made his main roster debut tonight, attacking Seth Rollins and setting up a potential Wrestlemania match between them. It looks like he'll be playing the role of Triple H's enforcer, and even though a lot of fans have been hoping for a Seth/HHH match, I respect that Triple H may be stepping away to open up a spot for the younger guys and Seth vs Joe is a potential show stealer.

I'm not buying that for a second. Joe might be getting Seth at Fastlane... but other than injury, there's no chance in hell of Triple H not getting the match he wants at Mania... and this year... that match is with Seth.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: January 31, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »

The "random numbers" that the wrestlers drew were definitely worthy of eye rolling.  Combined with no surprise entrants, this was a disappointing rumble match itself. 

But the Cena-Styles match made up for it as I really enjoyed that one.  I was hoping for a Cena-Undertaker match at Mania but it appears that they are moving away from that possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1730 on: January 31, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
The only "surprise" entrants that would have had me excited are Kurt Angle or Kenny Omega.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1731 on: January 31, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
^^ Yeah, Omega was never coming at all to the Rumble.  Already stated in an interview with Meltzer, a few days back, that he wasn't appearing at the Rumble.  Had an indy show at Chile the day before, I think.  Whether or not people choose to believe him is up to the listener.  He also claims that he's heading to Japan in February to negotiate new terms with NJPW (looking for a one-year contract, don't think NJPW will give him only one year after last year around this time).

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1732 on: February 01, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
Well looks like rollins got injured again on raw. He took the Coquina Clutch wrong and landed awkwardly and messed up his knee again. I just hope it isnt as serious this time.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:57 AM »
That would just be terrible luck for Rollins if its serious

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
Sucks for Seth. Curious to see what Triple H would do to get a suitable replacement opponent for him self.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »
Undertaker is supposedly hurting more than expected too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: February 01, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »
Isn't Undertaker currently holding off on a hip replacement or something? He's just trying to keep it together for his WM match.
It's no coincidence that Undertaker and Goldberg had such short runs in the RR. They're not really match fit, but WM is about the star power. This is why I would have liked Undertaker to go against an experienced and safe opponent at WM who could carry the match, like Cena. Reigns with his 3 moves just won't cut it.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1737 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
There's a chance that the Rollins injury is a work. The next Raw PPV isn't until March so they need to drag this out for two weeks longer than usual. I mean he could actually be injured which would suck and I would feel so bad for him but I have a feeling that this is all part of the storyline.

-MirrorMask

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1738 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
What I'm hearing is that it's legit and currently expected to keep him on the shelf for ~8 weeks, which would run right up to Wrestlemania.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lordnafaryus

• Living the Dream :)
« Reply #1739 on: February 05, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
Yeah word is Seth is genuinely hurt, and while plans for the HHH match aren't officially scrapped they're gonna need a backup plan..... Somehow work it into Trips Vs. Joe maybe? Though Joe just made a big statement by affiliating himself with HHH so it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense them turning on each other straight away....

As for Taker/Reigns, that could be entertaining to watch, even if just for the crowd reaction everytime Roman gets a nearfall on Taker, or - heaven forbid - actually wins  :( :censored

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1740 on: February 05, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Yeah word is Seth is genuinely hurt, and while plans for the HHH match aren't officially scrapped they're gonna need a backup plan..... Somehow work it into Trips Vs. Joe maybe? Though Joe just made a big statement by affiliating himself with HHH so it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense them turning on each other straight away....

As for Taker/Reigns, that could be entertaining to watch, even if just for the crowd reaction everytime Roman gets a nearfall on Taker, or - heaven forbid - actually wins  :( :censored

Taker/Reigns could be Lesnar/Goldberg 2.0. Taker is old and can barely move, and Reigns has no charisma and 3 moves. It might be WORSE than Lesnar/Goldberg.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: February 06, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »
Well hot damn I brought up the Rock n Roll Express here a week ago, and what do ya know?

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/rock-n-roll-express-to-be-inducted-into-wwe-hall-of-fame-class-of-2017/
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1742 on: February 07, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Yep, saw that this morning.  Awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
The Rock n Roll Express' best of 7000 match series is still going on with the Midnight Express.  I wonder who is going to win?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1744 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
The Rock n Roll Express' best of 7000 match series is still going on with the Midnight Express.  I wonder who is going to win?
lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1745 on: February 11, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Well then, I just finished watching NJPW's The New Beginning in Osaka.  Uhhh, it was a great show.  The big matches like Will Ospreay/Shibata, Hiromu Takahashi/Dragon Lee, Michael Elgin/Naito really delivered big time and had a strong crowd support.  I suggest to give the event a watch if possible for those matches if people feels disenchanted about wrestling nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:30:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1746 on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »
Ive been a happy njpwworld subscriber for many months now. Money well spent.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1747 on: February 12, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »
Bray Wyatt is the NEW WWE World Champion!!!

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: February 13, 2017, 05:22:09 AM »
Bleh, so obvious. Wyatt/Orton is going to stink, and will be pointless unless Wyatt retains. WM is shaping up to be a lost cause.

And the new Elimination Chamber is so sanitized and watered down. They replaced the metal grating with soft mats ffs. It looks like a kid's playground now.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: February 13, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
Bleh, so obvious. Wyatt/Orton is going to stink, and will be pointless unless Wyatt retains. WM is shaping up to be a lost cause.

Well, I kind of doubt it will be just Wyatt and Orton.  John Cena technically has a rematch clause, and I'm betting they're going to have him insert himself into the match.  I'm also betting that he will win, so that he can have his big Wrestlemania moment where he breaks Ric Flair's record and becomes a 17 time champion.

Granted, this is probably not much of an improvement.  I'm just saying it's gonna happen.

At any rate, I thought the Chamber match was awesome.  Everyone came out of it looking pretty good.  Ambrose got to go nuts.  Baron Corbin got to murder everyone, hitting finishers on half the field.  AJ Styles looked good because it is not biologically possible for AJ Styles to not look good.  The Miz got crushed by Super Cena, sure, but the whole performance fit his gimmick really well I thought, and it wouldn't really make much sense for him to do well in the Chamber with his movie star gimmick.  Cena was Cena.  And Wyatt won clean!  I figured they would have Orton sneak into the Chamber or some bullshit, but nope, he just eliminated the two top guys in the company back to back by countering their finishers into his. 

Yes, the Chamber itself was watered down, and that really sucks.  But I found the dynamics of the match itself to be really entertaining. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa