Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203730 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1330 on: February 22, 2016, 07:32:05 AM »
And what were they thinking having those back to back? Total buzzkill for the main event. The crowd was reluctant from the start, so that didn't help.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: February 22, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
The show was ok.  However, it was predictable and felt like a Raw episode.

I did enjoy the triple threat match and Jericho/Styles.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1332 on: February 22, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »
The matches were pretty good for the most part except for the divas title match(man did Brie stink it up out there) and whatever the hell that R-truth vs curtis axel thing was. The storytelling is still pretty bad. This was the perfect opputunity to shake things up and make mania exciting, but instead Vince continues to try his hardest to make Reigns the top guy even though nobody wants him to be. It's like trying to cram a square peg in a round hole at this point. The only match I really cared about was Styles vs Jericho which did steal the show IMO.

Overall it was very middle of the road. Atleast I thought it was better than the Survivor series with the thrown together tag matches and the Summerslam with Jon Stewart.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1333 on: February 22, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »
Some of the in ring work was good, but overall it was a very safe PPV from a booking standpoint. I don't get why they had Jericho kick out of the Styles Clash, and it's really sad what they've done to the Wyatt family.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1334 on: February 22, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
Some of the in ring work was good, but overall it was a very safe PPV from a booking standpoint. I don't get why they had Jericho kick out of the Styles Clash, and it's really sad what they've done to the Wyatt family.

I personally think they are trying to phase the styles clash out which I'm not completely against. When that move goes wrong it's terrifying and can cause massive damage. just ask yoshi tatsu.

With the wyatts im just baffled. They were finally looking dominant again after winning their last couple feuds. Making them lose here makes no sense whatsoever.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: February 23, 2016, 01:46:18 AM »
An interesting Raw.

The return of Shane McMahon was an unexpected surprise. I don't like the idea of Shane McMahon getting a match with the Undertaker when so many other hard working full time guys got overlooked, but I have a feeling this is intended to leave the door open for Cena to fight in his place if he's healthy. If not, Shane has proven to do some crazy stuff in the past, so being a HIAC, hopefully it could still be ok. But it's a weird dynamic of having Shane as a good guy against Taker.

Dean Ambrose vs Lesnar. FUCKING YES. This is exactly what I wanted. Ambrose in a scrappy street fight against Lesnar. Ambrose won't win, and nor should he against the beast, but he'll take an awesome beating for 15 minutes and put up a good fight. This will be good for both sides.

I look forward to a triple threat women's match at WM with Charlotte, Becky and Sasha. Those NXT girls are all excellent wrestlers and have proven they can do multi person matches very well.

HHH busting Reigns open was awesome. What was that red stuff coming out of Reigns' face?! Won't somebody think of the children! It looked intentional too.

The McMahons setting up a WM match, Ambrose getting taken out in an ambulance only to drive it back himself later, blood; This episode of Raw was brought to you by 1998.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1336 on: February 23, 2016, 06:01:16 AM »
Byron handed Roman a blood packet.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: February 23, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »
Lol did he? Checking back, they take the camera off Roman for the entire time he's on the announcer table, so you don't see anything, and I notice his hands are very covered in blood, so that makes sense.
I'm just surprised they went against their no blood policy. I guess HHH can do whatever the hell he wants.

Offline lordnafaryus

• Living the Dream :)
« Reply #1338 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »
The McMahons setting up a WM match, Ambrose getting taken out in an ambulance only to drive it back himself later, blood; This episode of Raw was brought to you by 1998.

My thoughts exactly! And a car park ambush to boot. Really old-school style episode. I'm not sure if that was Reigns blood or not, but it's still a rare enough occurrence to be shocking either way. There is no doubt at this point that Trips is the babyface of this feud, so are they really planning to end the biggest show of the year with Reigns winning at WM? I just don't see how it could work....

I agree with you on Shane/Taker as well, this might be a stopgap until they can make a final call on Cena's condition, but even so, considering the crowd is obviously gonna get behind the idea of Shane taking control of Raw, are we really supposed to buy Taker as a heel at this point?

Lesnar/Ambrose could be  show stopper, Lesnar hasn't actually been pinned for 3 years so I can't see Ambrose actually winning but it'll be great for him to have such a high profile match guaranteed to have a 'big fight' feel.

Y2AJ? ADORABLE!! Let's see where this goes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: February 23, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
Sooo I haven't watched or followed WWE in at least 10 years, maybe more, but I just bought two tickets to WWE Payback in May in NJ.  Because why not?   :lol  I've been to a bunch of events as a kid, Raw, Smackdown, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, ECW events.... they were always fun so why not try it out now that I am older and can have a beer? (or 10).

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1340 on: February 23, 2016, 12:41:50 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how they end up booking this Mania match with Shane. Obviously Shane doesn't go over Taker clean, and what's the point in bringing Shane back just to take a straight loss. My first thought was that some storyline injury happens to Shane before Mania and he gets either Sting or Cena as a stand in. I saw someone pitch the idea this morning that he could bring in the Bullet Club signees and/or some NXT talent to help him. Then you get a Shane/his guys vs Vince, Stephanie and the Authority for a couple months after Mania.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
Quote from: axeman90210 link=topic=40890.msg2108890#msg2108890 date=145625651
Then you get a Shane/his guys vs Vince, Stephanie and the Authority for a couple months after Mania.
[/quote

That was awesome when they did it 15 years ago with the Invasion. Except it wasn't.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1342 on: February 24, 2016, 07:46:46 AM »
The main reason the WCW invasion did not work was because all the big stars were sitting home with guaranteed money still in their contract.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1343 on: February 24, 2016, 07:52:48 AM »
As always, the McMahons love putting their family over like crazy.

Can you imagine anybody else being allowed to drop an f-bomb (even if it was muted out) on television, like Vince did?

Can't have blood on a PG show, except when it is the guy getting beat up by HHH, which of course puts him over even more.

Yeah, let's put Undertaker in the heel role for WM against the boss' returning son, who's a spot monkey and nothing more.

It's almost comical.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1344 on: February 24, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »
Lol, I hope the WWE just crashes and burns. It's such a joke how ego-maniacal the Mcmahons are. How do you even consider taking a living legend like the undertaker for what could be his last match and have it be against Shane Mcmahon who isn't a freaking wrestler!!! The Undertaker should be going against the rock or someone of that caliber. I honestly don't understand how any of you still watch the WWE.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: February 24, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
There's no way the Taker/Shane match would actually happen.  It has to be a set up for another match (Taker/Cena?, assuming Cena is ahead of schedule).  Shane is athletic and I'm sure he would make the match fine, but he doesn't deserve the semi main event slot at WM no matter what.

I can only expect some twists and turns over the next few weeks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:43 PM »
There's no way the Taker/Shane match would actually happen.  It has to be a set up for another match (Taker/Cena?, assuming Cena is ahead of schedule).  Shane is athletic and I'm sure he would make the match fine, but he doesn't deserve the semi main event slot at WM no matter what.

I can only expect some twists and turns over the next few weeks.

Kev nailed it, complete with the family in charge putting themselves over and doing stuff that low-tier workers would be suspended or shown the door for.

It's not about what anyone "deserves" They're millionaires doing whatever they want. They have no competition, so there's no pressure to give people what they deserve.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1347 on: February 24, 2016, 06:17:25 PM »
Lol, I hope the WWE just crashes and burns. It's such a joke how ego-maniacal the Mcmahons are. How do you even consider taking a living legend like the undertaker for what could be his last match and have it be against Shane Mcmahon who isn't a freaking wrestler!!! The Undertaker should be going against the rock or someone of that caliber. I honestly don't understand how any of you still watch the WWE.

I rarely do. I keep up on what is going on by reading online and my dad still watches occasionally and and will tell me if anything out of the ordinary happens, but by and large, I almost never watch anymore.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1348 on: February 24, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
I actually hope shane stays in the match.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1349 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
I've watched probably a grand total of 30 minutes of Raw over the last 3 years.  No interest at all.  I watched a bit of WM last year - mostly for the Sting.  It's probably been 10+ years since I had any real interest in the WWE.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: February 24, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »

To be fair, Shane McMahon was actually a better wrestler than The Rock. The Rock got over with charisma and personality, not his in ring abilities. I don't want to see The Rock wrestle anyone. Then again, I don't want to see Shane wrestle anyone either. :lol
I'm still praying it ends up being Cena, but I don't want the McMahons being part of it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1351 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »
Shane couldn't wrestles worth shit.  As Kev said, he was just a spot monkey.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: February 24, 2016, 11:09:35 PM »
Not sure he can even do that now. He's no spring chicken, and I don't see him taking any huge bumps. The only plus is that McMahon WM matches usually have a story, but I don't want that from an Undertaker match. He's the afterthought in all of this, when he's the star.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1353 on: February 24, 2016, 11:17:43 PM »

I don't.  I pretty more swore off WWE as soon as I discovered watching New Japan Pro Wrestling.  Sadly, WWE had a big acquirement from that company of guys that I really like (like AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura) when their contract expires, and the injury bug that is happening all over the world, atm, just keeps coming which puts NJPW in somewhat of a rough shape (not financially though) for the next few months although Kenny Omega is on the rise there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1354 on: February 26, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »
The Miz is such a shitty actor.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1355 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »
And just think, the Miz has done something Ric Flair never did: main evented Wrestlemania.

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Note: the main event is the last match, so Flair supposedly being in the co-main event of WM8 doesn't count, especially since it was in the middle of the card.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: February 26, 2016, 08:31:57 PM »
And just think, the Miz has done something Ric Flair never did: main evented Wrestlemania.

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Note: the main event is the last match, so Flair supposedly being in the co-main event of WM8 doesn't count, especially since it was in the middle of the card.

Should have been Flair-Hogan at WM8.  The ball was dropped on that one IMO

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1357 on: February 26, 2016, 08:33:07 PM »
Agreed.  Still don't know how the hell that didn't happen.  I know that was right when the steroid story was ready to explode, but putting Hogan with the boring Sid Justice instead?  Terrible decision.  Although the Flair/Savage match was incredible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: February 26, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »
Yes the Flair/Savage match was incredible.  Also from the same card, the Piper/Hart match was outstanding.  Probably the best match of Pipers career.

It might have been a combination of the steroid story plus Hogan wanting to get into movies more.  Who knows, but the Sid/Hogan match was the shits.  The Warrior ending was very cool though.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1359 on: February 26, 2016, 08:46:25 PM »
As far as watching the current product, Raw is something I have on in the background on Mondays, and pay more attention to when the more talented guys (Owens, Neville, etc..) are on. What I really live for is NXT every Wednesday. The talent down there, plus the fact that Triple H oversees it, has me hopeful for the future.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1360 on: February 26, 2016, 08:47:55 PM »
I remember PWI (or one of its sister magazines) back then running an article trying to explain how the sound guy knew to cue the Warrior's music up when he ran to the ring. :rollin :rollin :rollin

That was obviously back when they actually try to make people think that it might be real on some level.  Nowadays, a wrestler's music hits out of nowhere before he even appears, which is so contrived and so awful.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: February 26, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
Yeah it always seems ridiculous when someone challenges somebody to come to the ring and within seconds they come out with their music playing.  Its like the dressing room is only 5 feet away from the entrance ramp.

But why bother over analyzing pro wrestling lol

And on a side note, I would like to calculate how much money I spent in my life on wrestling magazines lol (PWI, The Wrestler, Inside Wrestling etc)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1362 on: February 26, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
Heh, you and me both.  Funny story about that though: I must have bought 200 of them over the years (from the later 80s through the early 90s), and in the late 90s, I boxed them up and sold them all on eBay together and got back like $300 for them. I was pretty thrilled. :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1363 on: February 27, 2016, 05:16:49 AM »
Hell, magazines like that were the only way I knew about other wrestling organizations back in the day.  What we had for the most part was NWA/Mid-Atlantic Wrestling.  WWF was also on TV, but it seemed more cartoony even then than what we were getting with the NWA.

But the magazines showed me things about other wrestlers in other territories, and Japan, and lots of other places.  Very cool stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1364 on: March 08, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »
A few good bits from Raw last night. Super excited that Zayn made the run in after the Owens-Neville match, I just hope they don't stick those two in a big clusterfuck of a match with like six other guys. The tag title match was excellent (holy shit, that AJ Styles springboard moonsault inverse DDT), and a heel turn for Jericho is a much needed character change.
Photobucket sucks.