Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203637 times)

Offline LordCost

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1295 on: January 30, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
I watched the Royal Rumble without reading anything on the web about wrestling for some time and I was shocked about the entrance of AJ Styles and really surprised that Triple H won the Rumble.
It's difficult for WWE to not be predictable when every news is available on the web. If Dean Ambrose had lost the Intercontinental Title at the start of the show I would have believed in his winning at the end (I hoped for a moment that given the low ratings they wanted to give the title to Ambrose).

I think it was the best PPV since the last Wrestlemania

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1296 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
If you were a professional wrestler, and could use any piece of music, what would your walk-up music be?

Quite frankly, I'd would use this theme.  It's NJPW/DDT's Kota Ibushi theme song.  Sounds very rocking and has a, I want to say, heroic feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lq4zrFo_mI

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1297 on: February 01, 2016, 08:12:04 PM »
Me watching Tyler Breeze get wasted on the main roster:

Photobucket sucks.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1298 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
If you were a professional wrestler, and could use any piece of music, what would your walk-up music be?

The Zoo by the Scorpions. I've always thought this would be a bad ass tune to walk down to.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1299 on: February 08, 2016, 11:39:13 AM »
Daniel Bryan's announced his retirement. I need to go lay down for a couple hours.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: February 08, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
That sucks.  A Bryan-Styles match would have been epic.

Offline lordnafaryus

• Living the Dream :)
« Reply #1301 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
Daniel Bryan's announced his retirement. I need to go lay down for a couple hours.

I just read he's going to appear on Raw to announce it... Is it a work? Could be an angle leading to a retirement match at Mania? I hope  :-[

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1302 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »

I just read he's going to appear on Raw to announce it... Is it a work? Could be an angle leading to a retirement match at Mania? I hope  :-[

Yeah, I'm holding out hope it's some kind of work, but we'll see. He tweeted that he was retiring effective immediately and that he'll be on Raw tonight to explain.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #1303 on: February 08, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm holding out hope it's some kind of work, but we'll see. He tweeted that he was retiring effective immediately and that he'll be on Raw tonight to explain.

Looks like a lot of non-wrestling news sources are reporting it too. This might be the real deal :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1304 on: February 08, 2016, 08:03:23 PM »
If true, that really sucks.  I almost never watch anymore, and with Bryan retired and Punk seemingly done for a while, I can't see watching regularly ever again.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1305 on: February 08, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »
If true, that really sucks.  I almost never watch anymore, and with Bryan retired and Punk seemingly done for a while, I can't see watching regularly ever again.

Punk in MMA?  Wonder if he'll do any good?

The most I've followed WWE in the past 7-8 years is this thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1306 on: February 09, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »
I used to be a big fan back in the late 90's but the best thing to happen to the WWE would be to get rid of anyone with the last name of McMahon and HHH.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1307 on: February 09, 2016, 06:40:17 AM »
I used to be a big fan back in the late 90's but the best thing to happen to the WWE would be to get rid of anyone with the last name of McMahon and HHH.

Oh if only.

Bryan's retirement segment was so sad. If you didn't tear up during that, you have no soul.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1308 on: February 09, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »

Nah if anything HHH should be in charge. I have enjoyed NXT a whole lot more than I have the main roster shows for a while now.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1309 on: February 09, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »

Oh if only.

Bryan's retirement segment was so sad. If you didn't tear up during that, you have no soul.

I honesty didn't. Mostly because I didn't believe a word of it. My bad. That's on me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1310 on: February 09, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Yep, I tuned it at the end last night to watch and it was pretty brutal.  That guy spend so many years working his way up, gets as over with the crowd as many as any wrestler ever, finally gets to the top against all odds, and then has his career taken out from under him due to injuries.  Very unfair.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1311 on: February 09, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
I honesty didn't. Mostly because I didn't believe a word of it. My bad. That's on me.

Sometimes, that's a fair thought.  We never really want the things we love so much to be taken away from us that we want to deny any information that can take away the things we love.  With all these information becoming more and more pronounced, it's quite clear that Daniel Bryan, or Bryan Danielson, will not step into a wrestling ring as an active wrestler ever again in any promotion.  The shock is still there where Edge retired out of nowhere, and I'm sure some people want to deny that, during his retirement speech, but they knew that Edge had his problems with his neck (similar with Austin) and that it was a matter of time.  In Bryan's case, his time to retire has come now as sad and as soon as it is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: February 09, 2016, 08:58:10 PM »

Oh if only.

Bryan has never been very natural on the mic for promos, so I knew that was all straight from the heart and honest. You could tell he was really soaking in that final experience and not taking it for granted, and was tearing up. :(

It's so sad to see a guy who worked so hard to earn his spot get taken out that way at the height of his popularity. Almost nobody else in the company gets a pop like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1313 on: February 16, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »
Just saw on FB that Wade Barrett is leaving because he is dissatisfied with his role.  While he had bad luck with injuries, I always thought they wasted him.  He had that natural heel charisma, yet he was never really relevant once the Nexus storyline ended, and that was like five years ago or so.

I flipped on RAW right at 10 last night to see what the main event was and about fell off my couch laughing at how pathetic it was. 

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #1314 on: February 18, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »
Just saw on FB that Wade Barrett is leaving because he is dissatisfied with his role.  While he had bad luck with injuries, I always thought they wasted him.  He had that natural heel charisma, yet he was never really relevant once the Nexus storyline ended, and that was like five years ago or so.

Yeah, it must be frustrating, WWE is supposed to be the Mount Olympus of the wrestling world and everybody aspires to get there, so to actually get there and then basically be put on the shelf must be a terrible feeling... Just waiting for all the 'I'm afraid I've got some bad news' memes to show up now  ;D

On another note, does anybody know anything about The Undertakers Wrestlemania opponent? Apparently he will definitely be wrestling and Vince has chosen his opponent, but it is not somebody on the current roster.... Sting has been suggested but he still has a spinal injury from taking that second turnbuckle powerbomb from Rollins so seems unlikely...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: February 18, 2016, 09:21:06 AM »

Yeah, it must be frustrating, WWE is supposed to be the Mount Olympus of the wrestling world and everybody aspires to get there, so to actually get there and then basically be put on the shelf must be a terrible feeling... Just waiting for all the 'I'm afraid I've got some bad news' memes to show up now  ;D

On another note, does anybody know anything about The Undertakers Wrestlemania opponent? Apparently he will definitely be wrestling and Vince has chosen his opponent, but it is not somebody on the current roster.... Sting has been suggested but he still has a spinal injury from taking that second turnbuckle powerbomb from Rollins so seems unlikely...

It better not be Sting, or Goldberg, or The Rock. I have a sinking feeling The Undertaker is going to end up in another terrible match this WM. I'm still praying that Cena makes a miraculous recovery, because an old Undertaker and a recovering Cena is still going to be by far the best match they've got going. I would have loved Owens, but that got shot down. Ambrose would be a great option too, but probably unlikely. In a perfect world, Kurt Angle would make a surprise comeback. :lol

They've got piss poor plans right now if they expect to fill up a stadium of 100k people, and keep them there by the end of the title match. But hey, maybe they'll scrape something together. The last two Wrestlemanias were surprisingly good considering the card.

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #1316 on: February 18, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
It better not be Sting, or Goldberg, or The Rock. I have a sinking feeling The Undertaker is going to end up in another terrible match this WM. I'm still praying that Cena makes a miraculous recovery, because an old Undertaker and a recovering Cena is still going to be by far the best match they've got going. I would have loved Owens, but that got shot down. Ambrose would be a great option too, but probably unlikely. In a perfect world, Kurt Angle would make a surprise comeback. :lol

They've got piss poor plans right now if they expect to fill up a stadium of 100k people, and keep them there by the end of the title match. But hey, maybe they'll scrape something together. The last two Wrestlemanias were surprisingly good considering the card.

Sting is unlikely, The Rock apparently can't wrestle due to his insurance but will still 'appear' at the event, and GOLDBERG!!? Dear lord let's hope not... Kevin Owens/Taker could be a great match if they gave it some time and build up, I even found myself thinking Chris Jericho would be good opponent for Taker, again with the right build up, but this is when the leading rumour was Braun Strowman so I'd take just about anybody other than him  :-\ Kurt Angle returning to face Taker would be awesome, they've had some really good matches in the past.... I really hope his opponent isn't something completely stupid :(

They've also been pestering Shawn Michaels to come back and do something fro a while but he keeps turning them down... They wanted him at the Rumble but he said no... Wonder if they'll get him in for Mania?

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1317 on: February 18, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »
I don't think so. Shawn seems to be enjoying retirement. He liked his retirement match so much he does not want to ruin it by coming back.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: February 18, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
I doubt they'll be able to sway Michaels, and I'm with Michaels on that one. He went out on an incredible high, and there's no point coming back for an average WWE storyline just so they can make some money. Michaels doesn't need it.

Braun Strowman should not have a 1 on 1 match at all at WM. He cannot wrestle, he doesn't deserve the spot over all of the veterans who have busted their asses off over the years only to not get good WM matches, and he's just the last in an unfortunately far too long list of shitty big guys that Vince has a raging boner for. He's fine as part of the Wyatts in an enforcer role, but that's it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1319 on: February 18, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »
Did Strowman only get sent to the main roster because of his looks? I thought only the best of the best from NXT got sent up.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1320 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »
Its obvious vince cares more about looks than actual wrestling ability. Pretty much always has.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #1321 on: February 18, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
he's just the last in an unfortunately far too long list of shitty big guys that Vince has a raging boner for.

I genuinely LOL'd at this! It's so true... Sticking Taker with lumbering big guys who can barely work was bad enough when he was full-time, but it's just a waste now he only wrestles a couple of times a year, so I'm glad this isn't happening.

And totally agree about HBK, his final few rivalries with Ric Flair, Chris Jericho and Undertaker were just perfect, and the retirement match was fantastic, anything else would just spoil it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1322 on: February 18, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
I'd love to see Undertaker go up against Demon Balor at Mania.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1323 on: February 18, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Kamala

or possibly

King Kong Bundy
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
A match with Kamala would be pretty entertaining, considering the dude has no legs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #1325 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
I'd love to see Undertaker go up against Demon Balor at Mania.

YES PLEASE!!!!!!  :tup

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1326 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:01 PM »
Too bad Giant Gonzalez isn't still around for a rematch.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1327 on: February 18, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »
A match with Kamala would be pretty entertaining, considering the dude has no legs.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: February 22, 2016, 06:53:03 AM »
Predictable as hell outcome to that triple threat, but an enjoyable match nonetheless thanks to Lesnar and Ambrose.
The opening Divas tag match was quite good, obviously thanks to Sasha and Becky.
I couldn't watch Big Show/Kane/Ryback against the Wyatts, but what the hell were they thinking having the Wyatts job to those losers? Even having seemingly changed their plans for the Wyatts at WM, that was just a pointless and stupid move.
I feel sorry for Charlotte having to work with Brie Bella in that match. Brie sucked, and shouldn't be trying to mooch heat off Bryan. Poor Charlotte probably wished she stuck to NXT after that one.
AJ Styles vs Jericho was pretty good. Even though he actually got the Styles Clash in this match, I feel like they're working to phase it out very quickly.
The whole segment with the New Day was a waste of time. The New Day are awesome, but it was just an ad for Edge and Christian's show, and was a waste of New Day and made it feel like a Raw episode. And it made the League of Nations look more like worthless bitches. What is the point of that faction? They could have actually put the US Title match on the main card instead. Good job devaluing the title after Cena had such a great run with it.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #1329 on: February 22, 2016, 07:25:59 AM »
The New Day segment was a complete waste of time as was the R-Truth Goldust thing. Way to make it seem like even more of a Raw episode.