Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203613 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1260 on: January 06, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
Kenny Omega was once under a development deal with WWE but left because he hated Bill DeMott and has (rumors) turn them down twice because of that bad experience.

And he's about to get a mega push on NJPW so he won't be leaving anytime soon!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1261 on: January 07, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »
Now Cena is out for most of the year...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1262 on: January 07, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
Now Cena is out for most of the year...

Which sucks. :( People like to hate on Cena, but he always puts on excellent matches, and Undertaker vs Cena was the only potential and likely match at this point I was excited to see. I don't know what they're doing with Taker now, but unless it's Kevin Owens or something, it's gonna be total shit.
Wrestlemania is going to be awful this year. Every single title winner out of last year's Wrestlemania is currently out injured. If they were smart, they could build up the mid-card that deserves to be in the bigger matches, and maybe even get totally crazy and have two Divas matches, but they won't. Instead they'll scrape together part timer veterans, and probably pad it out with jobber big guys.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1263 on: January 07, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
The WWE deserves this.  Now, that doesn't mean I am happy to see Cena or Rollins or anybody else hurt, but after years of them giving the majority of the best spots in the biggest PPV of the year to part-timers, this is the roosters coming home to roost.  I think it's hilarious that they are having Wrestlemania this year in a venue that holds so many people, with such a depleted talent pool.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: January 07, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
The WWE deserves this.  Now, that doesn't mean I am happy to see Cena or Rollins or anybody else hurt, but after years of them giving the majority of the best spots in the biggest PPV of the year to part-timers, this is the roosters coming home to roost.  I think it's hilarious that they are having Wrestlemania this year in a venue that holds so many people, with such a depleted talent pool.

And even before a lot of the injuries, I haven't heard about a lot of solid plans anyway. Last year the big matches were known months in advance, but this year it's been a bunch of vague rumours.
It's their own fault they're scrambling. They arguably have a more talented roster than ever overall, but they have no idea how to develop stars or handle multiple story lines, or even give people what they clearly want. They have NXT to develop great new talent, then basically bury them out of spite once they get to the main roster, they dismiss fan response to a lot of popular wrestlers, and the few times they manage to let something good develop, they manage to ruin it because they don't understand why it worked in the first place.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1265 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
Well, I have to admit that I never watch NXT, and I barely watch RAW anymore, but I did tune in the other night at the end and that was embarrassing.  Even Vince did a horrific job of selling that shit at the end. 

Oh, and Stephanie has reached Vickie Guerrero status: she is so annoying in general that she makes me change the channel instantly.  It's not a matter of "heal heat where you are supposed to hate her"; it's a matter of "when she talks, I just want to rip my ears off and throw them at her."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: January 07, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »
I haven't watched or followed Raw at all since Sheamus won the title, and it was only downhill from there with Reigns. I don't watch the weekly NXT shows, but I usually catch the special shows, so I know how good they really are before being buried in tag matches on Smackdown on the main roster.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: January 19, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »
I bothered to watch this last Raw before the Royal Rumble, and boy is it going to suck. The rest of the card actually looks pretty good, but the RR match itself is going suck even harder than last year.

With Reigns coming in #1, the entire Rumble will be about him regardless of whether he wins or loses, since whoever wins is just setting him up to win at Wrestlemania anyway. Last year he came in around half way, and the entire Rumble still suffered hugely because it was completely one track minded, so imagine that with Reigns in there the entire time. Forget side stories, forget good pacing, it's all Reigns Reigns Reigns this year. Win or lose, he'll make it to the end.

It's the most blatant rehash of Austin in the Attitude era, except without the personality, the popularity, the justification or the dynamic, and the worst part is that it's going to be a dumbass crowd who will eat it right up and validate McMahon's ass-backwards way of thinking and his belief that Reigns is over.

It looks like they're setting up to possibly waste Lesnar in a throwaway feud with Wyatt, which doesn't leave many real legitimate contenders to win the Rumble. We'll probably get HHH as a surprise entrant at #30 to win it so Reigns can win it back at WM, because HHH loves to insert himself into any big storyline and pump up his legend status in his own mind. Reigns can't go into WM as the champ, because there's no real story there.

On the plus side, I decided to sign up for the free month on the WWE Network to watch the PPV live for the first time in over a decade, so at least I'll be disappointed in realtime with everyone else. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: January 19, 2016, 08:18:36 AM »
I do always enjoy looking forward to the Rumble match itself; even though most of them are disappointing overall. I wonder who will be the surprise entrants this year- Triple H, Angle, Styles?

The 1992 Rumble match is one of my all time favorite matches ever. Monsoon and Brain were on fire commentating as well.

RIP Iron Mike Sharpe

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1269 on: January 19, 2016, 08:22:10 AM »
My brother and I were talking about this last night, and I came up with what and who the WWE really needs.

Hogan.

:neverusethis:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: January 19, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
I do always enjoy looking forward to the Rumble match itself; even though most of them are disappointing overall. I wonder who will be the surprise entrants this year- Triple H, Angle, Styles?

The 1992 Rumble match is one of my all time favorite matches ever. Monsoon and Brain were on fire commentating as well.

RIP Iron Mike Sharpe

Monsoon and Heenan. That's a classic announcing team! Rewatching the old Rumbles, it's so refreshing to hear great commentary from JR, Striker, and even Taz and a few others (the oldest I've watched recently is 1996). The current commentary is just wallpaper noise. They should use that new Smackdown guy for PPVs.

I heard that Styles will debut the Raw after the Rumble, so I wouldn't expect him as a surprise entrant. They don't want to create too much buzz for anyone but Reigns, and the average WWE viewer probably doesn't know him well enough. I think Angle is recovering from injuries, and they didn't want to hire him last time he was free (which sucks because he's one of my absolute all time favourite wrestlers).
I expect HHH, and maybe a couple of NXT guys to pad out numbers if they're running low. Or just dig out some wrestlers you forgot were still employed like Goldust.

The Royal Rumble has always been my favourite PPV, but the last couple of years they've missed the mark so hard and ignored all of that potential. In the old Rumbles, they would plant the seeds of so many Wrestlemania feuds.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
I agree about the commentating, it's really been lacking. And I really can't stand listening to JBL

Mauro Ranallo is one of their best signings. I think he should become the lead announcer on Raw and PPV's. Awesome announcer!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »
I agree about the commentating, it's really been lacking. And I really can't stand listening to JBL

Mauro Ranallo is one of their best signings. I think he should become the lead announcer on Raw and PPV's. Awesome announcer!

I hate JBL. His heel colour style is too forced, not like the classic personalities who did it naturally. WWE doesn't value the announcing role which is why we've been stuck with ex-wrestlers and random employees. Who thought it was a good idea to give Byron Saxton a microphone? :lol The three man announcer team needs to go. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I haven't heard a lot of Ranallo since I don't watch Smackdown, but I hear nothing but good things, and they badly need a real commentator like him. Commentary is crucial for more than just advertising the WWE Network and plugging Twitter hashtags, it's important to put over the talent and sell the storylines. JR got you emotionally invested in a match and made it feel real, the current team just makes you feel like you're watching a rifftrack of a tacky comedy soap.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »
Ranallo is the real deal. He's Canadian so I've been hearing and seeing him for years on various fight/mma shows. He is very credible and knowledgable about all things wrestling and fighting.

WWE is in a major rut right now and they need to change up many aspects, announcing is one of them. IMO they are on the right track by getting Ranallo.

But the Raw format itself needs an overhaul. Maybe change up the look and design, the entrance ramp, music. It's just so stale as is. There was a time where I wouldn't dare miss an episode of Raw, but now it's just meh if I do.

It desperately needs to go back to two hours

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: January 19, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »
Agreed on all counts. The only reason they stick to three hours is money, which wouldn't be an issue if the product was good/popular enough, but it isn't. I'm tired of seeing the exact same set for every single Raw and PPV, the same music, the same commentary (and getting worse going from King to Saxton), the same tired promo to start the show, the worn out authority thing, seeing the exact same kinds of guys getting pushed while the same guys continue to get overlooked and held back, the same storylines told the same way.

The whole company is stuck in a rut that I don't see ending until McMahon dies, and even then...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: January 19, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »
The authority gimmick needs to be shut down for sure

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1276 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
I dont really blame the commentators for the commentary. I blame the fact that Vince is always in their ear directing them. That was one of the reasons Mick Foley quit doing it.

And yes totally. HHH even looks bored as hell most of the time now like he would rather be doing something else.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: January 19, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »

I'm just sick of seeing the same Attitude era storyline recycled, especially when it makes no sense, and is just face = bad, heel = good. At one point the authority was trying to stop Cena being champ FFS.

We want a dependable champion who's best for business. Mr "Make-A-Wish all time champion who never misses a day of work unless he breaks his neck and needs to take a week off to recover" isn't a good fit at all!

I dont really blame the commentators for the commentary. I blame the fact that Vince is always in their ear directing them. That was one of the reasons Mick Foley quit doing it.

I bet Michael Cole hears permanent voices in his head at this point telling him what to do. That dude is an empty husk of a human being.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1278 on: January 19, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »
In other news, JR is now going to do commentary for NJPW on AXS TV.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/jim-ross-official-for-njpw-on-axs-tv-commentary-job/

Huzzah!!!  This is actually something, even though NJPW themselves has nothing to do with it, NJPW needs that could be to their benefit.  They lost four guys, two of them some of their top guys of the company, and AXS lost a really great commentator in Mauro Ranallo that did a great job on the AXS show.  AXS bringing JR in could somehow bring a little more eyeballs to the NJPW product, even if the matches occurred a lot of months ago.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: January 24, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
Bad feeling about tonight's rumble match. Don't want to see any of my top 3 win.....
Since TLC, I've been saying that Triple H is going to win the Royal Rumble, and now, hours away, I am sticking with that pick, even as it's gained traction. I can realistically see him, Brock or Roman winning it. Outside chance to Bryan, if he's healthy and reliable, or Rollins if he had a freakish recovery.
I will be rooting for Ambrose, Ziggler, or any other "deserving" grinder. Hope it's entertaining.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: January 24, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
Zero chance of Bryan being in it, or Rollins. Brock will get cost his chance by the Wyatts and that will be his wasted WM match.

I'm sticking with HHH from man #30, if not then Reigns retaining.

And the Last Man Standing opening? FFS

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
ugh... goodnight.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1282 on: January 24, 2016, 09:08:12 PM »
I don't mind HHH winning as it at least makes sense with the ongoing storyline. Since he's going to be seeing more action maybe he actually wont look bored as hell during the authority segments now.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
And not a single person was surprised in the slightest.

Well, that was predictable as hell, but otherwise that was a great show. Every match was good and had the best outcome, AJ Styles had a good showing, the crowd was amazing, and the RR match itself was overall well booked.

I'm not happy about the Wyatt family taking on Lesnar, but they were smart with having the entire family come out to beat him and toss him out before Reigns came back, and it made sense to have them clear house.
HHH at #30 was the worst kept secret ever, but I was slightly surprised they got rid of Reigns before Ambrose, but that was quite smart of them. People didn't boo the final two, and HHH didn't get cheered as he did against Reigns. It does't make sense that Reigns disappeared and didn't help his former Shield buddy win the belt to get back at HHH.

Kofi got a crap deal. They gave him his little spot of getting caught and parading around a while, and I was getting nervous it took so long to get back in the ring, then suddenly I couldn't see him and it turns out he got eliminated off camera. Poop.

It was silly that Reigns got beaten up but was able to walk to the back. If you can walk, you get back in the Rumble. You couldn't even take Foley out of a HIAC match on a stretcher, but Reigns went and took a breather. Then when he came back, he wasn't stumbling or selling his injury, he burst out like he was well rested. You don't sit out that long. The way that was booked didn't make him look like a fighter or an underdog as they wanted.

And I'm sorry Orlando I underestimated you. An amazing crowd. They got into everything, they cheered (and booed) loudly.

The rest of the show was good. Ambrose/Owens was very good, and that table spot was a cool ending. The tag match was a lot of fun (although watching this one live, I missed a bit due to loading). The New Day keep getting better and better. The women's match was good but could have even gone longer. It was well built up and booked though. Sasha Banks got one of the biggest pops of the night, and I'm excited for Charlotte/Sasha at WM. I hate Del Rio, but that match wasn't too bad.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1284 on: January 24, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »
Triple H's retirement reign maybe?

Roman Reigns wouldn't be so bad if he had more than 3 moves. Even Goldberg had more moves, and was more entertaining too. I like Lesnar, but Suplex City is boring. Do something else for fucks sake.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: January 24, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
Lesnar is capable of a lot more, but that's his thing these days. I still find it entertaining to just see him snap the shit out of everyone, so I'm fine with that, especially in a Rumble.

Reigns just sucks though. He has a punch, a tackle, and a jump kick. Space that out with punches and clotheslines. That's it. He makes the Rock look like Bret Hart by comparison, and the Rock at least compensated with charisma, which Reigns lacks entirely.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: January 24, 2016, 09:52:01 PM »
Solid show overall.  Very cool to see Styles show up; interested to see what they do with him tommorow on Raw.

Triple H champ?  meh

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: January 28, 2016, 04:44:37 AM »
First episode back of Lucha Underground was great. That's how you do a heel manager/champion!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1288 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »
First episode back and they set up resistance to the heel manager/champion's reign, broke the champion's arm (by a heel that got a white meat babyface pop), had a woman compete in the main event for it's top championship and killed 3 people!

I fucking love this show!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
Well I just started watching NXT after hearing all the rave reviews and I love it... guess I'll check out LU as well. Where can I watch it though?

By the way NXT is fucking great.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1290 on: January 28, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
Unfortunately, if you don't have El Rey network or like Sling or (I think) Roku, you'd have to, illegally, stream or torrent it.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1291 on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
Ok. Gonna have to do the stream thing. Thanx, bro.  :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
If you were a professional wrestler, and could use any piece of music, what would your walk-up music be?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »
First episode back and they set up resistance to the heel manager/champion's reign, broke the champion's arm (by a heel that got a white meat babyface pop), had a woman compete in the main event for it's top championship and killed 3 people!

I fucking love this show!

:lol Beautiful summary.
I loved how the look on lvelisse's face slowly changed from "I just won the match and earned a title shot" to "Oh shit I'm about to get killed by Mil Muertes". :lol That's how you sell!

I also like how they changed the look to match the new management by darkening the lighting and removing the band. I miss the band, but it works to make the whole thing feel like it's legitimately being run differently and evolving. Not just the same thing year in, year out........

The filmed sections were pretty cool too. They didn't just ignore Vampiro's storyline and go right back to commentary, they gave him a little video to bring him back. I'm glad Dario Cueto is still around too.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1294 on: January 28, 2016, 08:55:22 PM »
Yep just watched the season 2 premier. I'm loving it. Shoulda told me Johnny Nitro was there.