Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 205341 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Piper
« Reply #1155 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
Yeah, but normally he gets some cheers for good spots. He got zilch last night. Was it Rollins' home town or something?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1156 on: August 24, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
It was New York. THE smarkiest crowd in the world.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1157 on: August 25, 2015, 02:10:36 AM »
I thought Chicago was the most smarkiest crowd in the world?  Or the most ahole-ish?  No wait, that's probably Philly.  Chicago can be a lot of things, nvm.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1158 on: August 25, 2015, 02:37:16 AM »
I'd say a combo of a smart crowd cheering for a good wrestler, and hating Cena.

Aside from Sting being alive, it was a really good Raw this week, with some nice surprises. The great crowd also helped.

I just watched the Summerslam tag match with Stephen Amell properly, and thought he did a good job. The match was short and sweet, and Amell took a decent beating without doing anything unbelievable for a non-wrestler, and got a nice high spot to set up the finish.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1159 on: August 25, 2015, 07:34:18 AM »
A three-hour wrestling show with four whole matches.  Granted, they gave each match time, but still.  Did they rehire Vince Russo or something?

That Miz TV segment was a total train wreck.  Team PCB should never be allowed to speak, especially Becky Lynch.  When someone comes across as more annoying than the Bellas, that is quite an accomplishment.  Then the crowd totally dumped on their match, chanting "We want Sasha!" among other things.  They couldn't find time for Team BAD on the card, but we got three or four segments of Triple H and Steph.

It was cool to see Sting under the curtain, if a little predictable.  It would have been a better visual to have him destroy Rollins' statue with his baseball bat, though.  I'm sure the thing was only plastic, since they wouldn't immortalize in bronze a guy who's only been in the company a few years.  It still could happen, since they never showed it again after the backstage segment. 

It still seems stupid to bring Sting in just to job two matches, since they're not going to take it off Rollins.  They should make Sting look strong, just for merchandise and t-shirt sales if nothing else, and they should show highlights of his WCW and Mid-South career since they own the tape libraries to build him up as a credible challenger.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: August 25, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »
It still seems stupid to bring Sting in just to job two matches, since they're not going to take it off Rollins.  They should make Sting look strong, just for merchandise and t-shirt sales if nothing else, and they should show highlights of his WCW and Mid-South career since they own the tape libraries to build him up as a credible challenger.

Keep in mind that Sheamus will likely cash in very soon, so I wouldn't put it past them to have Sting get a victory.

Every single part of that scenario makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1161 on: August 25, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
God damn Sheamus is so boring. I really hope he gets a botched cash in.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1162 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
Sheamus won't cash in on Rollins, not unless Rollins turns face, and that isn't happening anytime soon.  Most briefcase holders job for about six months until they are no longer considered a legitimate threat (Bryan, Ziggler), then cash in out of nowhere.  Sheamus has been booked unusually strong for a Mr. Money In the Bank, although he has been booked strong for just about his entire career.  He'll probably cash in once a face beats Rollins, and that probably won't be Sting.  And he'll be successful, because he's Trip's spotter in the weight room.  Then he'll lose it before WrestleMania so they can put him in with Bryan (if healthy) for the umpteenth time, since that match is seemingly penciled in every year.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: August 25, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Stinger.

Nice to see him getting some recognition in WWE.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1164 on: August 27, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »
I watched some old interviews recently on youtube that Mean Gene did, when I was young I never realized what a pro he was.  He usually kept his cool even with big muscle men towering over him.   And his delivery was so smooth.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1165 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »
Yep, Mean Gene was awesome.  His facial expressions were priceless, too. 

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1166 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
Two of his interviews stand out for me.  The first was at the Royal Rumble where Flair won the title and Naitch, Perfect, and Heenan were gloating.  Somebody off camera was smoking and Gene angrily told him to "Put that cigarette out!"  The second was when he was interviewing Ted DiBiase and the background of the set fell down behind him and Gene started shouting profanities.  They cut away from him, then cut back, and DiBiase had broken character and was smirking.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1167 on: August 27, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »
That was Rick Rude, during SummerSlam '89.  Mean Gene yelled, "Fuck it!" when the part of the set fell, and it immediately cut back to a crowd shot.

Or did it happen with DiBiase, too??

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: August 27, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
I watched some old interviews recently on youtube that Mean Gene did, when I was young I never realized what a pro he was.  He usually kept his cool even with big muscle men towering over him.   And his delivery was so smooth.

Mean Gene is a legend. The way he was always able to play it cool and straight was the perfect foil dynamic for the roided up coked up wrestlers. They'll never match it again, especially now that they keep their wrestlers on a scripted leash, and give the interview job to any random person they happen to have employed at the time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: August 27, 2015, 11:16:59 PM »
Not to mention, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgfXGPeX24

Found this with Lord Alfred too. Glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lHGyV7jTg
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1170 on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:22 AM »
KevShmev, you might be right.  I just saw it on YouTube, but if it was the same interview that I'm thinking of, the downloader cut off the end, because a few moments later they went back to Gene and whoever he was supposed to be interviewing (I thought it was DiBiase but it could have been Rude) had a shit eating grin on his face.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1171 on: August 29, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
New wresting podcast I started with some friends. I think you'll all dig it.

https://degenjax.landofbunnies.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1173 on: September 01, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
Not surprised.  The popular theory has always been that Vince paid some lawyers big time to get him off the hook back then, since Snuka was one of the WWF's main attractions at the time. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: September 21, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »
Quite a good card for Night of Champions, and good results overall. I was really expecting Sting to win, especially given the way they booked both Rollins matches back to back and had him AA'd onto the floor. It looks like Sting might have a legit injury, so it's possible they had to change their plans on the fly for that ending though. And we dodged Sheamus cashing in for now. I've been dreading that inevitable moment all year.

Owens proved he's a true talent by putting on a watchable match with Ryback. :lol The New Day get more entertaining by the week, and I'm glad they retain for now. As usual they'll milk the feud out for probably 3 PPVs, so it's only a matter of time before the Dudleys win the belts, which I'm not against, but it was too soon for them to just walk in and win them.
Rollins and Cena stole the show as expected.

I'm also relieved that they're not saving the final Undertaker/Lesnar match for Wrestlemania. I'd rather they not have another match at all given Undertaker's condition after the first two, but better to have a fresh match of Wrestlemania for both of those guys.
Oh shit, they might do Undertaker vs Sting now. Can you imagine the levels of suck? :|

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1175 on: September 21, 2015, 09:22:09 AM »
New Day is the best thing in the WWE.

Xavier Woods with the Rufio hair was the best thing to happened last night!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: September 21, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
I didn't even notice that's what the hair was. :lol Even better.
When New Day first formed, I just thought it was a terrible way of lumping together a few black guys they had no story for (and it probably was), but since turning heel they've worked amazingly together as a team. If that trombone doesn't get inducted into the hall of fame, there is no justice.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1177 on: September 21, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Yeah! I love that they have had the freedom to just do whatever! I've laughed so much in their interviews/promos (like E telling Bubba "you ain't got bars!" or the first time Kofi went "the Dudleys don't respect furniture!") and just been thoroughly entertained any time they're on. A 3-hour Raw of just New Day would be the best Raw in the history of 3-hour Raws!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: September 21, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »
I want to see a compilation just of Xavier Woods' comments during matches. The term "tricep meat" would have a recurring role, and during the PPV match I heard him yell out that the Dudley's camouflage didn't match, and that they weren't even brothers. :lol

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1179 on: September 21, 2015, 11:16:54 AM »
Nobody read that Sting obviously got hurt pretty badly fighting Seth Rollins??
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1180 on: September 21, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »
Yeah, WWE.com finally acknowledge it. I hope it isn't as serious as some dirtsheets are making it up to be, he was definitely having a good match and taking some big bumps for a 56 year old until that turnbuckle power bomb.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: September 21, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
I hope the Stinger is going to be ok.

I was hoping for him to win the title, but I wasn't holding my breath on the change.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1182 on: September 24, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
Newest episode of the podcast is up. We discuss pretty much everything you guys have talked about in the last few days. Check it out.

https://degenerationjax.com/podcast/episode-5

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1183 on: October 18, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »
Marion Crane, I've listened to all eight of your episodes over the last couple of weeks, and I must say that I like your podcast more than most of the others.  It's good to hear fans give their opinions instead of "insiders."  Too many of them feature drunk old wrestlers slurring their words for two hours (ahem, Ric Flair), or hip hop dj's hijacking the show to talk about hip hop feuds (Cheap Heat).  Jericho's is decent, although he is just as likely to have a musical guest as he would a wrestler.  Austin's is okay, as is Sam Roberts', although I can only take so much of his voice.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1184 on: November 06, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »
Seth Rollins injured his ACL Triple H style. He's out for months. Looks like they are doing Deadly Game 2 at Survior Series.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: November 06, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
WWE is so hurting right now. No Cena, no Orton, no Rollins, no Bryan (although I don't know what the reason for that is since he's been cleared). We're gonna get Reigns as champion, maybe a cash-in soon, it's going to be awful.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1186 on: November 06, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »
^^ All of that means nothing to me, atm, as in about less than two hours, I'm going to go and watch NJPW's Power Struggle event.

I'm not expecting any big mind-blowing matches (though they are always welcomed, of course) like the big matches of this year's Wrestle Kingdom, Dominion, G1 Climax, etc.  However, it should be a good watch, anyway, and going to be worth staying up late.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1187 on: November 07, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
I miss CM Punk.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1188 on: November 07, 2015, 09:00:24 AM »
Anguyen, right now New Japan is by far the best promotion in wrestling.  Their match quality (at least the year-old matches that AXS TV have been showing) is far above anything WWE lets their performers do or are capable of (I lean toward the former). The Nakamura-Ibushi and the Tanahashi-Okada matches from WrestleKingdom were the best matches I've seen all year.  The only WWE matches in their ballpark are the Royal Rumble triple threat and Bayley-Sasha from Takeover: Brooklyn.

It can be argued that WWE is actually the fourth best promotion right now, behind New Japan, Ring of Honor, and WWE's own developmental league, NXT.  I don't get Lucha Underground on my cable, so I can't comment on it.  Production values don't matter if it's just two ancient guys or two immobile, muscle-bound guys clotheslining each other.  The NXT wrestlers get neutered once they get called up or get stuck with terrible gimmicks, while you listen to three announcers bicker and try to get themselves over instead of calling the match. 

I'm not crazy about Mauro Ranallo as a boxing blow-by-blow guy, but he's great for wrestling.  And his colorman, Josh Barnett, actually gives insight as to what the various holds and moves are supposed to accomplish, unlike JBL or Booker T.

It sucks about Rollins getting hurt and being out until after WrestleMania, because it means they'll either usher in the Reigns Era or panic and go back to Cena once he comes back from taping his fitness show.  Or worse, give it to Del Rio.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1189 on: November 07, 2015, 09:26:18 AM »
You should find a way to watch Lucha Underground, it's the second best wrestling show in the USA behind NXT.