Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203876 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Hulk Who?
« Reply #1120 on: July 30, 2015, 05:31:22 PM »
I remember hearing that.  What a disaster that would have been.  No disrespect intended towards the Von Erich family, who have endured way more self-inflicted tragedies than any family should ever have to, but from a wrestling standpoint, it wouldn't have lasted.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1121 on: July 31, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »
I agree.

I understand the history and tradition they built up in Texas, but outside of Texas, their biggest claims to fame are their tragedies and the fact that Ric Flair was willing to put Kerry over and hold his belt for 18 days before taking it back.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1122 on: July 31, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
I bought that was Ronnie Garvins Claim to Fame?  There's probably a good sized list with that claim on their resume.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1123 on: July 31, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
I bought that was Ronnie Garvins Claim to Fame?  There's probably a good sized list with that claim on their resume.
Off the top of my head, I thought Garvin held it longer than Von Erich.  I could be wrong.

That whole deal was stupid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1124 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
Kerry held it for 18 days.  Garvin held it for about two months.   Neither was a good idea.  Kerry only got it to pop the crowd at Texas Stadium as a feel good moment, after David von Erich died (he was being looked at as a potential long-term champ, unlike Kerry).  Garvin only got a brief reign after Magnum T.A. (Flair's perceived long-term successor) had a career-ending car accident, and people like Lex Luger and Sting were deemed not yet ready.  Why Jim Crockett or Dusty chose Garvin is a mystery.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1127 on: July 31, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
And there goes part of my childhood  :'(

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1128 on: July 31, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
Well, this has not been a pretty period for old-school wrestling guys.  Hulk Hogan is exposed as a racist and Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper is gone. Sigh....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1129 on: July 31, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
Kerry held it for 18 days.  Garvin held it for about two months.   Neither was a good idea.  Kerry only got it to pop the crowd at Texas Stadium as a feel good moment, after David von Erich died (he was being looked at as a potential long-term champ, unlike Kerry).  Garvin only got a brief reign after Magnum T.A. (Flair's perceived long-term successor) had a career-ending car accident, and people like Lex Luger and Sting were deemed not yet ready.  Why Jim Crockett or Dusty chose Garvin is a mystery.

What happened was, the NWA wanted Flair to drop the title to someone and then win it back at Starrcade a few months later, but quite a few guys said no, since they don't want to be a token champion for two months merely to job to Flair at Starrcade, which seems like a dumb stance to me. Garvin was more than willing, which is why he got that one single world title reign.

https://www.tmz.com/2015/07/31/roddy-piper-dead-dies-wwe-wrestler-cancer/

Damn.  :(

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Piper
« Reply #1130 on: July 31, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »
RIP Piper......

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1131 on: July 31, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
 That's too bad. He was on my deadpool list last year, and it always makes me happy when decent people work their way off of it; in his case beating cancer. Shame that it didn't work out.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: July 31, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »
And there goes part of my childhood  :'(

Yup.  That's shitty news to start the long weekend.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1133 on: July 31, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
Just saw this. He was awesome in They Live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1134 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:08 PM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: July 31, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
"They Live" is a fantastic movie!!  The 10 minute back alley fight is one of the most epic fight scenes in movie history.

Sad news.

RIP Roddy

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: July 31, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
My first kiss was during "They Live." True story. Was a good movie up till that point, don't recall much of it after that.

Goodbye Hot Rod, thanks for the memories. Your face off with Mr. T is one of my top WWF/E all time images.

Re-reading this thread... Piper, Magnum TA, Flair, Garvin.... Damn, I'm gonna throw in some Rock N Roll Express to finish off this nostalgia trip.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1137 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:04 PM »
Well, on another subject.  So my household got Dish Network and the package got AXS TV, which is good because I wanted that and Palladia since those are the only channels that I will watch.  Heard from various sources that AXS shows highlights and some full matches of various events of NJPW every Friday. 

Watched them, today, and I find myself liking watching wrestling on TV again after a long hiatus of WWE disappointing me.  It's very refreshing to see programming of a wrestling company actually be a wrestling company that emphasis a lot about competition rather than soap opera drama (nothing wrong with that if done right though).  Although I would have really loved it to hear Japanese commentators, those that did commentate did a good job emphasizing why a win of a certain match means a lot for a certain wrestler in a competitive sense, which is good since I have no idea who these wrestlers are aside from, what I saw, AJ Styles and Davey Boy Smith Jr.  In the episodes I watched, the events took place during the G1 Climax tournament, I think, and the episodes did a good job highlighting why a win means so much in the context of the tournament.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1138 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »
RIP Piper. He did great promos, and was one of the all time best heels. A bit unexpected for him to go right now.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1139 on: August 01, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
At least he went in his sleep.  We all have to go sometime, and dying in your sleep is the best we can all hope for.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1140 on: August 01, 2015, 05:40:10 AM »
Too bad, Rowdy.  Definitely one of the best promos in the business.

My earliest memories of him were from the Mid-Atlantic/NWA days, feuding with Ric Flair and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine (culminating in a bloody dog collar match at the first Starcade).

RIP

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1141 on: August 01, 2015, 06:46:01 AM »
I guess god changed the questions this time.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: August 01, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
Ya know... as much as we discussed/debated the Hogan = WWF topic, Rowdy Roddy was just as important.  He was Hogan's first major feud and heel; he was the lightning rod for the Rock 'n' Wrestling era with the whole Cap'n Lou/Lauper thing at MSG; he was the main event along with Hogan (Orndorff and T were just along for the ride) for Westlemania.  If WM tanks, there is no WMII, and perhaps the how the WWE structure's PPVs is different.  He was front and centre every single week on WWF weekend TV with Piper's Pit.

Personally, I think he's #2 in importance to the national launch of the WWF after Hogan.

Gonna miss him, but thankful I grew up watching him in his prime.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1143 on: August 01, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
I agree.

Also, it is worth pointing out as well that as much grief as Hogan gets from some people for supposedly never putting people over, Piper was just as bad, if not worse.  The only televised matches Piper was ever pinned in supposedly were the loss to Bret Hart at WM 8 and the legends match where he, Snuka and Steamboat all lost to Jericho at WM25, and even during that big feud with Hogan, he never let Hogan pin him, always losing their many house matches by countout or DQ.  He later said that he felt like had he let Hogan pin him, it would have taken his heel heat away.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1144 on: August 01, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »
Ya know... as much as we discussed/debated the Hogan = WWF topic, Rowdy Roddy was just as important.  He was Hogan's first major feud and heel; he was the lightning rod for the Rock 'n' Wrestling era with the whole Cap'n Lou/Lauper thing at MSG; he was the main event along with Hogan (Orndorff and T were just along for the ride) for Westlemania.  If WM tanks, there is no WMII, and perhaps the how the WWE structure's PPVs is different.  He was front and centre every single week on WWF weekend TV with Piper's Pit.

Personally, I think he's #2 in importance to the national launch of the WWF after Hogan.

I agree. Hot Rod is the greatest heel of all time. Nobody was as good at getting under people's skin than him. And since a hero is only as good as the villain they're up against, then the top heel must be as important as the top face. He's also the greatest WWE superstar to never win the WWE title.

RIP Roddy Piper. You will be greatly missed.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1145 on: August 01, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »
Too bad, Rowdy.  Definitely one of the best promos in the business.

My earliest memories of him were from the Mid-Atlantic/NWA days, feuding with Ric Flair and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine (culminating in a bloody dog collar match at the first Starcade).

RIP

YES!!!   He was legend.  I remember I was working at the Hartford Civic Center as a security guard (we had to wear blazers, white button down shirts, and clip on ties), and was working the cage match between him and Jake The Snake.   Friggin' best match ever, by the way, but at one point, I was leaning against the rail facing away from the match and a little kid says to me "Mister, why aren't you watching the fight?" and I said "Because I already know who's going to win." And the mom shot me a look of death, like "Don't blow this for my kid, a-hole!"  The kid says something like "You do?" and I said yes, and flipped my tie over, and unbuttoned my shirt like Superman to show the "HOT ROD" t-shirt I was wearing underneath.  For about 12 minutes I was the coolest security guard ever to about 10 pre-teen kids and their parents.  ;)

Favorite wrestler ever, and it isn't even close.   I've heard the rumblings, but truth be told, he was Derek Jeter.  Or Terry Bradshaw.   Was he the best or most flamboyant guy on the floor?  Nope, but he was money, always, and he made the people he was with better than they would have been without him there.  Even the Hogan rivalry and the "no pin", it made that feud legend, and it let Hogan be that "David Lee Roth" character.   

I generally tend toward the guys like that, so for me, he is my all time favorite. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1146 on: August 01, 2015, 08:12:10 AM »
I remember I was working at the Hartford Civic Center as a security guard (we had to wear blazers, white button down shirts, and clip on ties), and was working the cage match between him and Jake The Snake.   Friggin' best match ever, by the way, but at one point, I was leaning against the rail facing away from the match and a little kid says to me "Mister, why aren't you watching the fight?" and I said "Because I already know who's going to win." And the mom shot me a look of death, like "Don't blow this for my kid, a-hole!"  The kid says something like "You do?" and I said yes, and flipped my tie over, and unbuttoned my shirt like Superman to show the "HOT ROD" t-shirt I was wearing underneath.  For about 12 minutes I was the coolest security guard ever to about 10 pre-teen kids and their parents.  ;)
That is fucking badass.  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: August 24, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Boy, that Undertaker / Lesnar finish was a new level of lame even for WWE, but otherwise that was a surprisingly good match, and much better than their Wrestlemania one.

Overall a good PPV though. Cesaro / Owens was good as expected, and Cena / Rollins stole the show (shame that the title match wasn't even the main event). Rollins just keeps getting more and more impressive. The Jon Stewart interference was stupid, but it wasn't too bad considering.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1148 on: August 24, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »
How did Stephen Amell do in his tag match against Stardust?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: August 24, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »
We skipped over it for time, but it appeared as if he took quite a bit of offense and gave a few moves, and did a splash from the top rope to the outside while Neville got the win. I'll have to watch it properly, but it seemed as though he put in a strong effort for an actor coming in for a one-off match.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1150 on: August 24, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
Cool.  I am a fan of his work on Arrow, so I was interested in this.  He has apparently been a wrestling fan forever, and was extremely excited to do this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: August 24, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
I didn't know that, but it does appear he put in a lot more work than the usual celebrity wrestling performance, which generally I think is a terrible idea to begin with.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1152 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
TAKER TAPPED!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1153 on: August 24, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
You'd think Seth Rollins was the good guy based on the crowd last night.

But I think they were cheering for the wrestler, not the character.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:31:58 PM by Zook »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: August 24, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
Well, his opponent was John Cena.  There are fans out there who would cheer for a rotten potato if it was billed against John Cena. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa