Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203662 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Dusty Rhodes
« Reply #1085 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
Private or not, there should be no room for something as ignorant as racism in 2015! So, good riddance!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1086 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »
This is both the best and worst thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTSahJxT0Q
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1087 on: July 27, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1088 on: July 27, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »

Pretty good job recreating that scene, but they could have done a few more takes.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1089 on: July 27, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
Now I wanna see a buddy cop flick with Dean and Arnold.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 27, 2015, 08:20:34 AM »

Pretty good job recreating that scene, but they could have done a few more takes.

Do you really think more takes would have resulted in it being any better? :lol
As a T2 fan, I thought they did a really good job of recreating the scene given it's an ad for a video game, but Terminator in a wrestling game? That's your pre-order incentive?
I thought the new Terminator movie was great, but the crossover with wrestling (including HHH's Wrestlemania entrance this year) is lame. Almost as lame as Robocop saving Sting in WCW.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1091 on: July 27, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

Do you really think more takes would have resulted in it being any better? :lol
As a T2 fan, I thought they did a really good job of recreating the scene given it's an ad for a video game, but Terminator in a wrestling game? That's your pre-order incentive?
I thought the new Terminator movie was great, but the crossover with wrestling (including HHH's Wrestlemania entrance this year) is lame. Almost as lame as Robocop saving Sting in WCW.

They obviously put a lot of effort into it, but Paige's reaction wasn't quite as good as the woman from the movie, as if she didn't care. That and Arnold said his line too slow. I'm picky about stupid shit like that.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
Anybody who heard Hogan's comments about his son's friend who was injured badly in that car accident years ago, knows that he is a POS.  Hearing this news today, I wasn't surprised at all. 

Pretty crazy to think that two of the most beloved celebrities in the 80s were Hulk Hogan and Bill Cosby, and now both of their reputations are in the toilet for good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Hulk Who?
« Reply #1093 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
That took longer than I expected actually.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1094 on: July 27, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
So, I turn on the beginning of RAW, which I haven't tuned in to for a while, to see if there are any Hogan chants, and what happens?  Rollins, Stephanie and HHH come to the ring...to HHH's music.  Yeah, don't play the music of the world champion; play the music of the mostly-retired son-in-law. :lol :lol 

Oh, and I read that the Undertaker is back, but looks awful.  They must really be desperate if they are bringing him back in the summer time instead of trotting him out like usual during WM season.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
To be fair, it was The Authority coming out to the ring, not HHH, Steph, and Rollins  ;)

I am an avid Undertaker defender, so disclaimer, but I think he looks better than he should, and that brawl with Lesnar was pretty cool. I think they are trying to redeem themselves after the lackluster WM match last year, and Taker doesn't have many good feud potentials. Hopefully they can work a good match at Summerslam. I don't know what Taker has left after this, either physically, or in terms of opponents. The most recent WM match against Wyatt seemed like a huge drop-off after his run of Michaels x2, HHH x2, Punk, and Lesnar.

I thought Sting was going to be in the Summerslam mix somewhere, maybe it is still in the works.

And Hogan, well.... without him, how many of us would even be talking about wrestling in 2015? I know he was the most significant part of my WWF fandom in the 80s. For me, wrestling was him, and Flair in the NWA, and then everyone else.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: July 27, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »
I think Undertaker wanted to come back earlier and get match fit for WM this time to avoid the same fate as the last two disappointing matches. This WM is almost definitely his last.
I think that's a good idea, however putting him against Lesnar is a terrible idea. Lesnar will kill him. Undertaker will look even worse against a current Lesnar than he did a couple of years ago against him, and injure himself for WM. Plus he needs to be against someone who can help carry a match.
For his last match at WM, he needs to be against someone experienced, like Cena.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1097 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
WWE made a bad move I think. Just terminating Hulk from his contract should have been enough. Hogan slipped up, he's human. If it was something he was known to do more consistently, then okay, but one incident shouldn't tarnish his legacy

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1098 on: July 28, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
WWE made a bad move I think. Just terminating Hulk from his contract should have been enough. Hogan slipped up, he's human. If it was something he was known to do more consistently, then okay, but one incident shouldn't tarnish his legacy

They just dug up more crap on him. This time, bigotry.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1099 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
I think he was just blowing off some steam in the privacy of his own home. I know I say things I don't mean when I'm angry.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: July 28, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »
nobody is perfect and everyone says things they don't mean.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1101 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »
I say things I don't mean as well, but that doesn't include racism and bigotry.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: July 28, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »
I'm with Zook (and Scott Steiner on this one). There's having a bad day, then there's getting exposed for what you truly are.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1103 on: July 28, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
Agreed, although given what a nut job Scott Steiner is, he probably shouldn't be the one casting stones. :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1104 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
I've thought about this and honestly I don't really give a shit about what he said. Rather than try to erase him from WWE I think the better option would have been to give him a chance to explain himself and apologize if he wanted to and try to turn this into something positive or a learning opportunity for others. People get nothing out him just getting fired. And news flash to the WWE, you will never erase Hulk Hogan. No Hulk Hogan = No WWF. People can learn and grow from negative situations. Look at Riley Cooper and the Eagles. I thought America was the land of second chances not knee jerk reactions.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: July 29, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
I've thought about this and honestly I don't really give a shit about what he said. Rather than try to erase him from WWE I think the better option would have been to give him a chance to explain himself and apologize if he wanted to and try to turn this into something positive or a learning opportunity for others. People get nothing out him just getting fired. And news flash to the WWE, you will never erase Hulk Hogan. No Hulk Hogan = No WWF. People can learn and grow from negative situations. Look at Riley Cooper and the Eagles. I thought America was the land of second chances not knee jerk reactions.

I'd be all for this if he screwed up or had a bad day. But by all accounts, this is who he was/is, so screw him. He wouldn't be sorry for what he is and what he said/felt, but he'd be sorry that he got caught. This reminds me a lot of Michael Vick, and how sorry he was. Anyone who still follows the product knows that Hogan was only there to plug the network, do some interviews, make some appearances and help try to make Tough Enough something that people care about.   And while it may be silly for WWE to act as if Hogan and Benoit and whomever else didn't exist, it is absolutely their right to as a business.

And I've never bought into that no Hogan - No WWF line of thought. While I cannot deny his impact on the industry, I'm of the opinion that if it weren't him, it would have been someone else.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1106 on: July 29, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
You can think that all you want, but it's not true.  Given your age, DoC, you weren't old enough to be around when Hogan was THE man in the 80s.  Heck, go back and look at how awful those cards were for the first Wrestlemanias, but they were something big because of one man: Hulk Hogan.  His influence on the industry is undeniable. 

Also, considering what a racist organization the WWE has always been, it's a bit comical for them to react this way, but it's still understandable.  Hogan deserved to be fired.  But trying to erase him from history is just moronic.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: July 29, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »
That's akin to saying I didn't know that Hitler was a bad dude because I wasn't around to see it first hand. I know that the Golden Age of Pro Wrestling in the States was a combination of Hogan, Vince going national, and the advent and utilization of cable television  and Pay Per View services. And while Hogan's impact on the industry is undeniable, I credit him second only to Vince himself on the list of reasons the WWF blew up in the 80s. To say that it would not or could not happen without Hogan is speculation. No way to know for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1108 on: July 29, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
The Hitler comparison is a poor one, because we are talking scripted entertainment vs. real life.

Vince's vision wouldn't have worked without Hogan, and proof is in how poorly the WWF/WWE has done under his tenor when they didn't have a Hogan or Austin or Rock to stand at the top.  Once Hogan went part time in '92 and left in '93, the WWF struggled until Austin blew up four or five years later.  And as massive as the attitude era was, it wouldn't have been nearly what it was without Austin or the Rock. 

Hogan, basically, is to wrestling what the Beatles were to music. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: July 29, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »
Kev, you are not wrong, and I don't want to put words on DoC's keyboard, but what I think he is implying is that if there was no Hogan, there is nothing to suggest that Vince would not have found another flagship wrestler for his burgeoning enterprise. There could have been another charismatic individual out there, with the look, the physique, and the ability to rip off a t-shirt that could have served equally well.

Same thing goes with The Beatles. It could have been The Stones, or The Kinks, or a band that never made it out of the British club circuit. It's just speculation.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: July 29, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »
You're all right.  It is just speculation. But to speculate what the past might have been isn't the point. The point is what actually was. And Hogan was the WWF. Back in the 80s and early 90s, the average fan didn't know that lead commentator Vinnie Mac was pulling all the strings, so to the public and WWF fans, Hogan was the WWF.

No sense on speculating what might have been. This is what was.  Without Hogan, who would've filled his place in 1983?  David Sammartino?  Dino Bravo?  Rick Martel?  C'mon. Hogan was lightning in a bottle at the time.

And by that argument, if not for Hitler, then there would have been some other baddie to start WWII?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: July 29, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
Kev, you are not wrong, and I don't want to put words on DoC's keyboard, but what I think he is implying is that if there was no Hogan, there is nothing to suggest that Vince would not have found another flagship wrestler for his burgeoning enterprise. There could have been another charismatic individual out there, with the look, the physique, and the ability to rip off a t-shirt that could have served equally well.

Same thing goes with The Beatles. It could have been The Stones, or The Kinks, or a band that never made it out of the British club circuit. It's just speculation.

Bingo!

You're all right.  It is just speculation. But to speculate what the past might have been isn't the point. The point is what actually was. And Hogan was the WWF. Back in the 80s and early 90s, the average fan didn't know that lead commentator Vinnie Mac was pulling all the strings, so to the public and WWF fans, Hogan was the WWF.

No sense on speculating what might have been. This is what was.  Without Hogan, who would've filled his place in 1983?  David Sammartino?  Dino Bravo?  Rick Martel?  C'mon. Hogan was lightning in a bottle at the time.

And by that argument, if not for Hitler, then there would have been some other baddie to start WWII?

I brought up Hitler to make the point that you can be knowledgeable about someone or something that took place before your time, since my opinion on Hogan was being discredited by my age. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »
On my Hitler comment, I was being mostly facetious.  Shoulda put an emot after that.

Still... I don't agree with either example that "someone woulda come along an filled the void".  That might fly with something rudimentary, or even above average... but to use that for The Beatles?  Sorry, I can't fathom that.  Just because there was The Beatles, doesn't mean that anyone could've done what they did.  Same goes for Hogan.  If Gretzky didn't come along, would someone else have been the best ever?  If there was no Jordan or Woods (in his prime), does that mean someone would've filled that void?  I don't for a second believe that. 

Look, Vinnie Mac didn't alone create The Rock... it was very much with the help of Dwayne Johnson, and because of who Dwayne was.  I think the same goes for Hogan (and Austin).  Those are three persona's in the WWF/WWE that are unparalleled.  Not all the credit goes to Vince, so it's illogical to assume he could've simply found or plucked some other talent and done the same thing.  If so, why haven't there been any since The Rock?  Cena is close, but not quite.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: July 29, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
My belief that Vince is the #1 reason for the WWF's golden age extends much father than his ability to develop characters. Again, it was the decision to go national, utilizing cable television and Pay Per View.  We can speculate all we want, but no one's denying Hogan's impact on the industry, and pop culture in general. We're free to believe whatever we want about how it would have played out had Hogan not been there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1114 on: July 29, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »

"Let me tell you something, brother! I'm a racist/bigot/asshole, dude!"

Hulk Hogan is the new Mel Gibson. An apology wouldn't mean anything. He is what he is.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: July 29, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »
Well said DoC.  We shall agree to disagree.

My belief that Vince is the #1 reason for the WWF's golden age extends much father than his ability to develop characters.

Freudian slip?  Was it perhaps his father's ability to develop characters?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1116 on: July 29, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
jingle.boy doing some great work here.  That 2nd to last post of his was perfect. :tup :tup

What's really funny is that some of the WWF/WWE's biggest characters were accidents:

-Austin wasn't supposed to get the push he did in 1996/1997, but HHH getting punished for the MSQ curtain call and the fans going nuts for Austin, all but forced Vince to make him the man.

-It took a couple years for Vince to even figure out what he had in the Rock.

-Daniel Bryan got over with the fans, despite Vince never wanting him to be a main event guy.  The fans basically made Vince put Bryan in the main event of WM30 and win, because clueless Vince wanted Batista.  :lol :lol  And then he botched it again this year with Reigns. Vince single-handedly ruined Roman Reigns this year.

-Same with CM Punk, whom I believe never would have gotten that long run with the title in 2011-2013 had he not done what he did in the summer of 2011 (forcing their hand when his contract was running out). 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
Ergo nowadays... it's even more on the talent to create their success, rather than the WWE.  Great examples Kev.  Think about all the people that Vince tried to push in a big way that never made it big - Chris Masters, Vladimir Kozlov, Snitski, Ludvig Borga (man, I forgot about him!), and how many more shots is Matt Bloom going to get?  I'm sure many others.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »
I read somewhere years back that Kerry Von Erich was Vince's first choice in 1983 to play the main babyface in his rock n wrestling expansion. When he wasn't available, Hogan was the next pick.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: July 30, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
Interesting.