Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203647 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - NXT > WWE
« Reply #1050 on: June 01, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
Reading about the finish, this is the legacy that dipshit Dusty Rhodes has left on the industry: fake out finishes that pull the rug out from fans, by nullifying big wins, almost always by faces, and for the stupidest freaking reasons.  I thought those kind of finishes sucked back then and they suck now.  I lost track of how many NWA PPVs had sucky endings in the later 80s thanks to what was deemed a Dusty finish.  Worst booker ever.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1051 on: June 01, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »
I enjoyed the main event a lot, until the Dusty Finish, I saw it a mile away!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1052 on: June 01, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »
I enjoyed the main event a lot, until the Dusty Finish, I saw it a mile away!

The sad part is that it was so obvious, that when Ambrose won, we didn't even get excited because it was clear what they were doing.
But given that Ambrose was never going to win, I was ok with it.

Although it goes to show how jaded a WWE fan I am that I consider that one of the best outcomes. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1053 on: June 09, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »
Ryback's mic skills sure did improve.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: June 09, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »
Ryback's mic skills sure did improve.

He's improving quite a bit overall

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Dusty Rhodes
« Reply #1055 on: June 11, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Rest in Piece to the American Dream.....

https://www.wwe.com/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1056 on: June 11, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
RIP Dusty.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: June 11, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
My favorite wrestling feud of all time was Rhodes vs the Four Horsemen. Thank you Dusty for the memories.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1058 on: June 11, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »
I was never a fan of Dusty Rhodes, as a wrestler or a booker, but he definitely had charisma, and proved that you didn't need to look like you lived in the gym to be a top wrestling star.  R.I.P.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1059 on: June 11, 2015, 09:02:07 PM »
Da Uhmehikin Dweem, takin' it to da big pay winda in the sky.

Even if his booking sucked, the man was a great speaker, though.  His "Hard Times" promo was one of the best ever, right up there with CM Punk's pipe bomb and Chris Jericho's promo for his WWF debut.  Jim Cornette also had some good ones when he was managing the Midnight Express.

R.I.P. Dusty

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: June 12, 2015, 01:06:34 AM »
One of the best of all time

RIP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1061 on: June 13, 2015, 06:01:02 AM »
I loved Dusty.

RIP

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1062 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
Money in the bank was a bit disappointing but still alright in my opinion.

The MITB match being first on the card was surprising. I didn't expect it to be the main event because of the title match but I wasn't expecting it to be first. I thought it was pretty good but kinda forgettable. I was actually surprised that sheamus won, I really like heel Sheamus so I can't complain. I hope that the Wyatt/reigns feud that they set up lasts a while because just throwing him at everybody isnt doing him any favors and it could be good for both men

I cant judge the divas match because my stream was acting up and I missed a good chunk of it. That ending however was dusty as hell.

I was actually enjoying Big show vs Ryback which was surprising. Then they decided Miz had to interfere to set up a triple threat at battleground or maybe even summerslam.

Kevin Owens vs John Cena once again stole the show for me. Cena even pulled out all the stops with moves I've never seen from him before. Even though some of his experiments didn't work out as well as he would have liked it was nice to see. I did not mind the ending (even though cena did an awful job of taking the apron powerbomb) and I am looking forward to the rubber match.

The New Day vs The Prime Time Players was also pretty good. I think Titus and young are very entertaining and I am glad that they won the titles.

Ambrose vs rollins was my second favorite match of the night. I'm glad they FINALLY put rollins out there on his own with out J&J and Interference Kane. Rollins was in control for most of the match focusing on Ambrose's leg which you don't see much of anymore. I did wish Ambrose got some more offence in but overall I really liked it. I just hope creative has something lined up for Ambrose now that this feud is over (well at least for now.)

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:53 PM »
I would imagine Owens-Cena 3 will be at Summerslam. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1064 on: July 08, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
Holy shit! Cesaro and Cena tore the house down on Monday!

VKM says that Cesaro "doesn't connect with fans"?? LOL

He doesn't need to have a big personality! Just continually do what you did on Monday! Tell him to go out there with a quality worker and tell him to tear the house down!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: July 08, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
Cesaro is awesome

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: July 08, 2015, 11:26:01 PM »
Holy shit! Cesaro and Cena tore the house down on Monday!

VKM says that Cesaro "doesn't connect with fans"?? LOL

He doesn't need to have a big personality! Just continually do what you did on Monday! Tell him to go out there with a quality worker and tell him to tear the house down!

And people think Cena can't wrestle, when he continually brings his A game.
Fantastic match. Cesaro is like Daniel Bryan in that he's not great on the mic, but stick him in the ring with someone capable, and people are going to respond well to his impressive skills. It was such a pleasant surprise to have a 20 minute wrestling match as the main event of Raw.
That and Lesnar going all Street Fighter on that car were the only redeeming qualities of Raw.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: July 20, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1068 on: July 20, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
Wrestling is awesome

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1069 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »
Was big on wrestling years ago during the Attitude era. No interest now, but I just saw a thing on John Cena doing another Make-A-Wish thing. Guy seems like legit good human being.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: July 22, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Was big on wrestling years ago during the Attitude era. No interest now, but I just saw a thing on John Cena doing another Make-A-Wish thing. Guy seems like legit good human being.

John Cena is a great guy. From interviews he seems genuinely very humble, hard working, and completely selfless. If he chose to, he could be complacent and lazy and pull moves to get what he wants, but he's constantly pushing himself in the ring, helping out other guys, and is a fantastic ambassador for the company.
That's why despite not liking his character, I just can't possibly hate the guy, and I get why they stick with his gimmick.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
I just can't see Cena ever turning heel for the sole reason of all the ambassador/make a wish events that he does.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1072 on: July 23, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
I liked the spring board stunner when it was first used, but it worked because it was RKO OUT OF NOWHERE, but now that he does it every match, it's not a surprise anymore, and it sucks that his opponents have to let him do it even when it can be easily avoided. "ok I'll just stand here and watch you jump off the rope."

Similarly, I hate the shoulder tackles into the Five Knuckle Shuffle. It's like an uncounterable move in the Smackdown games. --> + Square initiates the move, two tackles, and after the second one the opponent absolutely has to swing at him, and then the back drop. Hell, when Kevin Owens steals the move even John Cena goes for the swing.

The obvious leg slaps for effect were always silly, but Roman Reigns is so obvious with them it's annoying.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1073 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:53 AM »
So apparently Hulk Hogan made a racist tirade and the WWE has removed him from Tough Enough and removed all traces of him from their website.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1074 on: July 24, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »
Guess he recently read Michael Richards' memoirs?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: July 24, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
I heard about that. I think it was stuff he said a few years ago. It's no surprise they kept him on a tighter leash when he was back in WWE than their other legends. It's bad enough to say these kinds of things at all, but someone who's been around for as long as him should definitely know better than to say them publicly.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1076 on: July 24, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
I read an excerpt of the interview, and not hearing the context of the quote I personally don't see what the big deal is. I don't think he was maliciously using the word in a derogatory/racist fashion. That being said, the Hulkster has been washed up for awhile now so I don't see why the WWE brought him back in the first place.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1077 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:59 AM »
From what I gather he didn't say them publicly. It was pillow talk, quite possibly from that sex tape a couple of years ago. Just another example of people no longer allowed to be an asshole, even in the privacy of their own house.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: July 24, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »
From what I gather he didn't say them publicly. It was pillow talk, quite possibly from that sex tape a couple of years ago. Just another example of people no longer allowed to be an asshole, even in the privacy of their own house.

I've seen a few different comments mentioned, both from public interviews, and from private conversations, so I'm not 100% of what exactly weighed in to their decision.

These companies don't really care that they've employed assholes, but they care that the public knows they've employed assholes, and want to distance themselves from it purely for the sake of PR.

The irony is that firing Hulk Hogan turned it into a much bigger public story than it otherwise would have been to a few wrestling fans. The other irony is that WWE is a pretty racist company (or at least Vinnie Mac), so it's almost hypocritical. The only difference is that Vince's racism isn't so blatant to shareholders.

WWE is very touchy with these kinds of things these days, and while I'm all for Hulk Hogan's (or anyone's) freedom to be an asshole, as a public figure, public perception is important.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1079 on: July 24, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
I also read from the reports at 411mania.com was that part of his racist rant was that he made racial derogatory comments on, wait for it, The Rock.  One commenter in that article stated something along of lines of this. 

"Various media outlets, including (the link that I got this from), have received short audio of a disgustingly racist rant Hogan unleashed toward fellow wrestler, Dwayne Johnson, otherwise known as The Rock. Among other things, Hogan calls Johnson,

“An uppity, half-breed ni**er undeserving of his success”

“An untalented, no-good shit talking Sambo”

And also claims

“I never liked having to wrestle with anybody who wasn’t white”

https://411mania.com/wrestling/hulk-hogan-apparently-gone-from-wwe/

Of course, it's from a comment section, so there's not much weight on it yet until there's actual audio of it to confirm it.  Now I don't know how accurate this is, and I hope Hogan really didn't say what he say about the Rock.  The Rock wrestling in his prime, he was the full consummate professional that pretty much earned everything amount of praise he received, and did what's best for the good of the company.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:11:05 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1080 on: July 24, 2015, 11:09:29 AM »
How many times has Vince said that he would never use Hogan again, only to bring him back.  This time will be no different, and he'll be back once this blows over.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: July 24, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »
How many times has Vince said that he would never use Hogan again, only to bring him back.  This time will be no different, and he'll be back once this blows over.

It might just be a kneejerk reaction by WWE, or they might know more of the story than we do and he's entirely screwed.
Depending on what of this ends up being truth, they might bring him back for WM next year, as they're going to need all the starpower they can get to put butts in seats. But I wouldn't expect him back before or after then. He's nothing but a mascot at this point anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1082 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
Anybody who heard Hogan's comments about his son's friend who was injured badly in that car accident years ago, knows that he is a POS.  Hearing this news today, I wasn't surprised at all. 

Pretty crazy to think that two of the most beloved celebrities in the 80s were Hulk Hogan and Bill Cosby, and now both of their reputations are in the toilet for good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: July 24, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
sad to hear

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1084 on: July 24, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »
well I guess its time for the return of Mr. America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNavOLpxHek
Do you read Sutter Cane?