Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203569 times)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - NXT > WWE
« Reply #840 on: March 10, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »
See I'm not so sure I agree with all of the part timers heat.  I mean.....part timers=special attractions=bigger draws=more buys/subscribers.

I guarantee you that the WWE Network will see a significant increase in subscriber count because the "part-time" fans will want to see Sting and the return of the Undertaker, especially after how bad he got banged up last night.

I for one have loved how they've handled Lesnar as the part time champion.....as far as keeping him off tv goes.  They definitely could have improved on the quality of his non fight appearances though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
Yeah, nothing restores prestige to the I-C title like having the champion losing to everyone for a month straight. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #842 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
See I'm not so sure I agree with all of the part timers heat.  I mean.....part timers=special attractions=bigger draws=more buys/subscribers.

I guarantee you that the WWE Network will see a significant increase in subscriber count because the "part-time" fans will want to see Sting and the return of the Undertaker, especially after how bad he got banged up last night.

I for one have loved how they've handled Lesnar as the part time champion.....as far as keeping him off tv goes.  They definitely could have improved on the quality of his non fight appearances though.

I agree partially.

On one hand, Brock Lesnar has been turned into an attraction, and Paul Heyman as usual gave a compelling promo for that. But while it has elevated the title having a high profile champion, the lack of title matches at every PPV has devalued the PPVs to the point where they're barely better than Raw these days. They've tried to compensate with matches of contrived importance, like the Survivor Series match to ditch the Authority, and #1 contender matches, but overall it's been a really shitty year for PPVs.
I don't blame Lesnar for this, I blame the WWE for making the decision to put the belt on him and then not pay to have him show up more often. And he's been so strong that I don't buy the very inexperienced Reigns having a chance at beating him with a tackle and a punch, yet that's what we're going to have to swallow come WM.

I'm fine with the Undertaker only having his one big match a year, and with the streak he's become a big WM draw. But you can't build up a real feud with one person completely absent. That's not a story. It's the bare minimum they need to cobble together a highlight package for before the match. Just look at the two Undertaker/Michaels matches. Both of those matches told great stories because they built them up beforehand to have some significance and relevance. As a result, they've both among the best WM matches ever.
It just would have been nice to have Undertaker show up for at least one or two Raw appearances, he doesn't need to fight.

As for Sting, the whole thing feels super phoned in. All he's done is show up 3 times over the past half a year and stand there doing nothing and collecting his paycheck. I've never liked him one bit, and like most HHH matches, I'll be skipping this one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #843 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
I don't buy the very inexperienced Reigns having a chance at beating him with a tackle and a punch, yet that's what we're going to have to swallow come WM.

This really bothers me, too.. How are they going to have Brock lose after the things he's stood up from? Take his triple threat match with Cena and Rollins for example. He no sells 3 straight AA's from Cena. Later takes two briefcase shots to the head from Rollins, only to get up very quickly and F5 him for the victory. How can they possibly make the fans believe that Reigns has the arsenal to put Brock away? It couldn't even be done in a No DQ match with weapon use, yet we're supposed to believe that Reigns can pin Lesnar with a simple spear? A simple shoulder to the ribs, which Lesnar (kayfabe) broke one of in that Royal Rumble match and still won? No, just no. Reigns thinks he's ready, but I have a feeling he's going to be exposed in his match with Lesnar. What I mean is he lacks the cardio to carry a long match. Lesnar suffers from the same thing. What happens when you put two guys with limited gas tanks together for a long, high profile main event? It will likely include lots of Brock standing over Reigns just doing nothing but staring at him while they both gasp for air.

I'm hoping for something other than Reigns as WWE Champion. I would much rather see Rollins cash in, and have Reigns continue to build his character over the Spring/Summer towards a big match at Summerslam.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
I think the best scenario for everyone involved would be for Rollins to cash in, and have Reigns chase the title, while he builds up over the year. They need a top heel, and it will benefit Reigns to not look like he's being handed everything on a silver platter. I really don't expect it to play out that way though, at least not at WM.

Having interference would be the most believable scenario for Lesnar losing. Have Heyman switch sides if Brock is leaving, maybe turn Reigns full heel, or have Rollins interfere because he's going to cash in. They need something. A straight 1 on 1 victory to Reigns is going to stink, and the audience won't swallow it, and it won't get Reigns over. Vince doesn't seem to have gotten it through his head yet that making someone look really strong hasn't worked since the 1980s. It's not that people hate Reigns, they just hate the way he's been handled.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #845 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
What kills me is that so many people bitch about the product, yet still go to house show and PPVs.  Booing Reigns or cheering Bryan non-stop will never get the bottom line across to Vince.  Do not go to live events, do not buy any merchandise, and do not pay for the WWE network.  That is the best way to send the message that you think the product stinks.  I think Vince thinks a lot of their fans are stupid, and I am not sure he is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #846 on: March 11, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
Why did Reigns stop doing other moves? In the clip Heyman showed, you see Roman Reigns doing a lot of different stuff in NXT, but now he literally does 3 moves if we're lucky.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #847 on: March 11, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »
Because it's the style of the main roster. You stick to moves that people know you by and don't bust a new one out often.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #848 on: March 11, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »
That's strange. Here I thought people wanted to see as much cool shit in the ring as possible. I know I do. Even thought he botched it, it was cool seeing Cena do a hurracanrana. We need more of that. Are powerbombs not cool anymore? Cena did that too. I was like, hey that was cool, do more of that. Reigns does maybe a clothesline, samoan drop, and then that stupid superman punch and the spear. Brock Lesnar is worse. He might kick you and then nothing but german suplexes. Meanwhile 12 years ago he had all kinds of moves and even talked on the mic.  Special attractions aren't supposed to be boring as fuck.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: March 12, 2015, 12:40:38 AM »
My favourite thing to see in a match is something I haven't seen before. I want to be surprised. Exciting moves get stale quickly when that's all you're going to see.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #851 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
My favourite thing to see in a match is something I haven't seen before. I want to be surprised. Exciting moves get stale quickly when that's all you're going to see.

I get saving cool stuff for the PPVs, but they should give roman SOMETHING. If they had let him do more than his 3 moves of doom the backlash against him might not have been as strong.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »

I get saving cool stuff for the PPVs, but they should give roman SOMETHING. If they had let him do more than his 3 moves of doom the backlash against him might not have been as strong.

There are lots of people like me who don't dislike him, but just feel he's not ready and hasn't developed since leaving the Shield yet. So if he started showing signs of growth in the ring and expanded his repertoire a bit, I'd be open to changing my mind on him.
Variety of moves is a necessity if you expect to carry a half hour headlining match. The 3 moves are ok for a Raw match, but it won't cut it on PPV if you want him to be a top guy.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #853 on: March 13, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »

That's one of the things I loved about All Japan in the 90s. A guy had finisher levels. Like Mitsuharu Misawa had the Tiger Driver, and if he put you away with it, you weren't ready to move to the next level. Get out of that? You got the Tiger Driver '94. Get out of THAT? Emerald Fusion. It added drama to see if the wrestler could kick out of the big moves and measured his progress against his opponent. When Kenta Kobashi finally kicked out of the Emerald Fusion in a title match, you knew Misawa was going to lose. You knew who had lost to who and how.

Modern WWE is "You have three moves that caused a pop. They're ALL YOU GET NOW."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #854 on: March 16, 2015, 07:40:09 PM »
Anyone watched the New Japan Cup final? Currently going through it, Ibushi just had a great match and keeps solidifying his place as my favorite Japanese wrestler by far. Currently watching the tag match with Cody Hall (Scott Hall's son) he's one tall sunovabitch!

Also, I love Japanese crowds! How they "oooh" and "aaah" at all the big spots and pop for them and stay silent for the rest of the match, in an attentive manner, it's awesome!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #855 on: March 17, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
Not sure how Sting got in the ring that fast during the blackout, but it was awesome

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: March 17, 2015, 08:16:10 AM »
Not sure how Sting got in the ring that fast during the blackout, but it was awesome

Must have been hiding under the ring. There was plenty of time for him to climb out. It was more awesome when they were doing it 15 years ago......

As usual, Heyman was the highlight of the night, everything else is going through the motions until Wrestlemania. Wouldn't it be awesome if Lesnar retained at WM? And even better, snapped Roman Reigns like he deserves? *sigh* One can dream.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #857 on: March 17, 2015, 08:19:59 AM »
I thought about hiding under the ring, but surely the live crowd would have seen it during the break before the last segment. 

But yeah Heyman killed it as per usual.  I really hope Lesnar retains.  I HATE Reigns so much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »
I thought about hiding under the ring, but surely the live crowd would have seen it during the break before the last segment. 

Maybe he was incognito at the front of the crowd or near the timekeeper area the whole show and jumped over the barricade (hilariously, to make this work he'd probably have to wear one of the plastic Sting masks to cover up his actual Sting facepaint :lol ).
I don't know, but they've done it so many times in the past that they've obviously got a system for it. He had about 10 seconds of darkness to get in there, so it shouldn't have been too hard.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #859 on: March 17, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
Seemed shorter than that to me.  Maybe he just ran down the ramp real quick

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #860 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:14 AM »

Maybe he was incognito at the front of the crowd or near the timekeeper area the whole show and jumped over the barricade (hilariously, to make this work he'd probably have to wear one of the plastic Sting masks to cover up his actual Sting facepaint :lol ).
I don't know, but they've done it so many times in the past that they've obviously got a system for it. He had about 10 seconds of darkness to get in there, so it shouldn't have been too hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTzHd1h47o
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: March 17, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
I timed it out, and it was about 9 seconds. I don't think a guy of his age could run down the ramp that quickly and get into position without being spent, but still a good amount of time.
I think he was either in the audience the whole time, or they managed to sneak him out under the ring shortly beforehand off camera. Maybe he came out there during the Wyatt promo just before the main event. That seems a likely possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTzHd1h47o

:lol Fantastic.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #862 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
^^Ah good point

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #863 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #865 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »
That was so so good!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #866 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:35 AM »

This is the greatest thing ever!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #867 on: March 18, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Ok this is wonderful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA
This is hilarious. Also, I never thought I'd say this but... Batista is cute as fuck :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: March 21, 2015, 05:34:53 PM »
AAA wrestler Hijo del Perro Aguayo has died in a match that included Rey Mysterio, after taking a dropkick to set up the 619. There's plenty of video floating around for anyone who wants to check it out, but it looks like a complete freak accident, you'd think nothing of it. RIP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #869 on: March 21, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty awful to see.  Apparently the dropkick knocked him into the ropes, which cause whiplash and cervical spine trauma.  It looks like he was out immediately.  If nothing else, at least maybe if he was out immediately, he didn't suffer.  Just a terrible thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: March 21, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I don't know if there was existing injury, and he just hit the ropes badly, but he appeared to be unconscious as soon as he hit the ropes, perhaps already dead from the whiplash, so hopefully it was at least quick. It doesn't look like the event staff handled the situation all that great, but I'm not sure it could have made a difference at that point. I can't imagine the guy shaking him hard (Konnan?) helped.

I just hope it doesn't have any repercussions for Mysterio, because he must be feeling terrible about it already, and I don't think either guy did anything wrong there. It was a tragic accident.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #871 on: March 21, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »
That's one thing you gotta give WWE props for: if that had happened there, the ref would have checked on him immediately, instead of just acting like the guy was "dead selling" (which happens a lot) and ignoring it like the ref there did.  You gotta make sure your performers aren't really hurt.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: March 21, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
 :(
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: March 21, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
That's one thing you gotta give WWE props for: if that had happened there, the ref would have checked on him immediately, instead of just acting like the guy was "dead selling" (which happens a lot) and ignoring it like the ref there did.  You gotta make sure your performers aren't really hurt.

WWE is a very safe company in that regard, and they would have stopped the match as soon as they couldn't get him to regain consciousness. That match wouldn't have continued past the 619 attempt. Mysterio was clearly questioning it, and I think it was a careless decision by whoever was in charge to continue the match. All of the ring movement and untrained people intervening would have been really bad if he was alive at that point.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #874 on: March 22, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »
Wow that's very very sad