Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203749 times)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
The really should start incorporating the NXT roster more into the RAW's and PPV's. 

Opening WM31 with a title match between Sayn and Balor for instance would be sick.  NXT is probably the most valuable asset on the network and that would definitely give non-subscribers a “see what you’re missing?” feel. 

Also, having Ziggler vs Bryan would be awesome.  But the IC strap not having any relevance anymore sucks.  Perfect opportunity to elevate it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
NXT itself rubs that in every week! And it's a WWE product! :lol

Thats because HHH is in charge of NXT and vince isn't involved in any way. I've read that Vince doesn't even watch it.

With that being said, I would honestly like to see vince step aside. He's been out of touch for a long time and at the very least it would provide something new/different.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Opening WM31 with a title match between Sayn and Balor for instance would be sick.  NXT is probably the most valuable asset on the network and that would definitely give non-subscribers a “see what you’re missing?” feel. 

Apparently Vince isn't too happy that NXT gets such a good reputation without him, so I wouldn't expect that to happen. I'd definitely like to see NXT guys used more on the main show, for opening PPVs, and I was hoping they'd even throw a couple into the RR.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pretty dead crowd for Raw this week. That's a shame. Reigns was only getting a few boos.

Given his exchange with Reigns in the locker room, and the fact WWE have zero plans for Bryan to be champion and having his WM match already planned, I think the plan is to use Bryan's popularity to get Reigns over as a heel at fast lane and have Lesnar as the face. If they really want to stick to that match at WM, that would be a smart move. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit though. It would also mean Rollins wouldn't cash in on him, which would also have been a good move.

I can't wait to see the HHH / Stone Cold interview. Just about to watch that.

Offline Marion Crane

Looks like they're setting up Reins to have a clean victory over Bryan at Fastlane.  They're hoping Bryan will endorse Reigns in the title fight at Mania.  I still think this is horrible.  Hopefully they'll have Rollins cash in after Reigns beast Brock and WM31 ends with Rollins as champ.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Just watched the SC/HHH interview. Very solid.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Looks like they're setting up Reins to have a clean victory over Bryan at Fastlane.  They're hoping Bryan will endorse Reigns in the title fight at Mania.  I still think this is horrible.  Hopefully they'll have Rollins cash in after Reigns beast Brock and WM31 ends with Rollins as champ.

I don't see that.  WM never ends with a heel celebrating.  Hell, even the one time I can remember where a heel won the main event (Miz), the show still ended with the Rock storming the ring and taking him out and celebrating in the rings to loud cheers.  Rollins is far more likely to cash in at RAW the next night.

Offline Bruinsfan25

I had this thought today, might be dumb but i figured I'd post it here anyway. What if in the title match at Wrestlemania Lesnar does the typical heel stuff, knocking out the ref, using a chair, etc. and then suddenly the lights go out and the Undertaker shows up. He doesn't do anything, just distracts Lesnar so Reigns can hit him with the spear or whatever for the win.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think turning Reigns heel would be the best for him right now.  Changing his outfit is a must too.

Offline Marion Crane

I don't see that.  WM never ends with a heel celebrating.  Hell, even the one time I can remember where a heel won the main event (Miz), the show still ended with the Rock storming the ring and taking him out and celebrating in the rings to loud cheers.  Rollins is far more likely to cash in at RAW the next night.

WM 16, 17 and 19 did.  Also, if Rollins cashes in on a freshly won Roman Reigns, it'll be a babyface pop for sure.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
If either Lesnar wins or Rollins cashes in they'll get a babyface pop for sure. Most of the people who'll go there are the hardcore fans. If Reigns win, the boos at next night's Raw will be unbelievable!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Marion Crane

I really think the best option at this point is to have Bryan beat Lesnar and have Rollins cash in, either at WM31 or the next night on Raw. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really think the best option at this point is to have Bryan beat Lesnar and have Rollins cash in, either at WM31 or the next night on Raw.

That would be a good route.  Or go with Bryan as champion for a lengthy reign and see how it effects the ratings and network buys.

Offline ozzy554

I don't think Bryan should be in the mainevent at WM31. With him just returning from a neck injury I dont think putting him in the ring with a man who mainly does german suplexes (sometimes rather sloppily) is such a great idea.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think Bryan should be in the mainevent at WM31. With him just returning from a neck injury I dont think putting him in the ring with a man who mainly does german suplexes (sometimes rather sloppily) is such a great idea.

That, and also I think it would be a bit too on the nose to force him into the main event at WM two years in a row. It would be caving at this point to go "We're sorry Reigns won the Rumble, so we're giving you Bryan anyway!". I'm also not sure fans would accept it, and might start to turn on Bryan. I think it works better for him to have a longer underdog story. I actually hope he doesn't end up in the main event under these circumstances.

I'm absolutely all for any situation that involves Rollins cashing in though. He deserves it much more than Reigns, and he's your top heel once Lesnar leaves.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
I'd rather them be "too on the nose" than watching Bryan/Sheamus yet again (which is the plan right now).
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The plan is currently Bryan/Ziggler last I heard, unless they've changed their minds back to Bryan/Sheamus.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
The bryan/ziggler plans got dropped so Ryback and Ziggler can be a tag team.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jebus, so much talent going to waste. Wrestlemania is going to a trainwreck at this rate.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Hey, at least we have a new NXT Takeover event this Wednesday!

Offline Marion Crane

They just can't have Reigns as champ.  They can't.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
You'd think even Vince would figure out by now that when he forces someone down the fans throat for the WM build, they turn violently on it.

Hell, let's be honest: I watched the Rumble the night they had to replay matches because of the blizzard on Raw, and all it did was prove that the Rumble is a beyond stale concept, and it's been handing out title shots for 22 years now. The whole "Road to Wrestlemania" period needs to be blown up and started again. Hell, the whole fucking company is stuck in 1998, but the Rumble is just boring anymore.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
It's also because they've telegraphed who's going to win for so long. Royal Rumble has never had this "you never know" feel.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
You'd think even Vince would figure out by now that when he forces someone down the fans throat for the WM build, they turn violently on it.

Hell, let's be honest: I watched the Rumble the night they had to replay matches because of the blizzard on Raw, and all it did was prove that the Rumble is a beyond stale concept, and it's been handing out title shots for 22 years now. The whole "Road to Wrestlemania" period needs to be blown up and started again. Hell, the whole fucking company is stuck in 1998, but the Rumble is just boring anymore.

This year's Rumble was boring and awful, but they're still a great idea that regularly has unique creative ideas you haven't seen before, and allows wrestlers to interact who normally wouldn't.
It's definitely an issue with how predictable the outcome has become, but that's an issue with booking, not with the concept itself. The problem is that they place too much importance on the RR as the lead up to their biggest event of the year, instead of taking the chance to truly surprise the fans. They regularly change their plans before WM anyway, so I don't think they need to overthink it quite so much.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
There might BE creative ideas to do with the Rumble, but no one at WWE seems to want to use them. The average Rumble usually has the following:

1. People who stopped wrestling for the company years ago coming in for a nostalgia pop.
2. Comic relief quick eliminations.
3. Someone eliminates a ton of people to hopefully increasing crowd response. (The Diesel Push. Amazing how different wrestling history would be if any other big man other than Kevin Nash had gotten the job in 1994 of clearing out the jobbers.)
4. The match stops dead when the last four people are left. Odds are someone points at the Wrestlemania sign. There are two heels and two faces left.
5. One of the final four is the guy who has been pushed as the new top guy since Survivor Series if not Summerslam.

WWE has made everyone so generic and having such similar movesets and doing scripted promos that the Royal Rumble now has no personality. It's like setting up WWE 2K15 to do the Rumble with all computer controlled characters. They don't look at who is over BEFORE the show and build from the Rumble to Mania. It's the same thing year after year, and people are so tired of it unless it's an out of the blue choice getting elevated from nowhere or the rarest of things, the guy who got over on his own and got buried like Bryan, the end result is 100% guaranteed to annoy the crowds. WWE has become risk averse in the past decade anyway-it's why the Money in the Bank title shot booking is always the same, and why we're speaking confidently that Rollins is going to walk out of Mania with the belt because we just know he's going to cash it in on a weakened opponent. They're stuck doing the same things over and over again to the same audience that doesn't mind it, rather than going utterly mad. There's no WAY to go utterly mad. No one's allowed to be the Rock or Steve Austin or DX's version of HHH anymore. Hell, even Bray Wyatt's been turned into "the guy who sings about having the whole world in his hands and everyone holds up their phone when he comes in." Bland, boring wrestlers with storylines that don't take any risks. It's why I've stopped watching.

WWE needs to blow itself up and start again. John Cena's been the face of the company since 2005. And he had to be neutered and made dull to the point that half the crowd turned on him. Just time for a massive change.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Vince needs to step down and get out of the way. From what's he done with NXT, I'm anxious to see what HHH can do with the main product. Until then, the WWE will continue to be a farce.

either that, or bring back the goon. At least then, I can start taking wrestling seriously again.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:17:31 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ozzy554

I know HHH wants less scripted promos, that alone I think could be a huge improvement. Also it sounds like he wants raw back to 2 hours which I hope happens because 3 is just too long.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Great post, Jaq.

Honestly, the people who are sick of Cena need to stop booing him.  Keep quiet when he comes out or wins and turn your back to the ring.  Booing indicates heat, which indicates he's doing something right.  They can pipe in cheers or boos all they want on TV, but frequent crowd shots of people with their back to the ring because they are sick of Cena would look bad and send a real message.

They need to embrace the change in climate in regards to faces and heels and stop making everything about face vs heel. 

Add some realism back into it.  Hell, have Rollins come out and say, "How can I cash in money in the bank when the champion is never around?"

The fact that promos are scripted to where every word has to be said the way it is written is pathetic.  How are wrestlers supposed to have any identity when thy aren't allowed to be themselves?

Offline Marion Crane

Went to the WWE live event in Jacksonville last night.  Hate to say it, but Reigns was SUPER over. 

Second biggest pops went to Ambrose and Jericho

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know HHH wants less scripted promos, that alone I think could be a huge improvement. Also it sounds like he wants raw back to 2 hours which I hope happens because 3 is just too long.

I really don't know how they expect any breakaway stars to ever occur again while they script them word for word, it's just not natural.
The Rock and Austin would not exist if they were kept on that tight a leash. Neither one was amazing in the ring, but they became stars because they had great personalities that made them worth watching every week.

The only person I can think of currently on Raw who has promos worth hearing is Paul Heyman, and that's because he's very obviously not scripted. :lol They wouldn't let anyone else get away with what he says.

Offline Marion Crane

Pretty sure Bray writes his own stuff, and I believe they let Ambrose kinda go on his own too.  But I agree.  They should really let people do their own thing and just hit the key points like Heyman does.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure Ambrose is less scripted, I think he just sounds a bit more natural doing it. I wouldn't know about Bray Wyatt. His promos are so painfully boring and pointless that I can't watch them.
The only person I think gets any real leeway out of the active roster is John Cena, being the pro that he is. And Lesnar is either mostly guided by Heyman or just speaks from the heart about hating everyone and wanting to hurt them. :lol

Offline Marion Crane

Ha you really don't like Wyatt do you

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
No, I really don't. :lol He's had so many chances in big feuds, and continually failed to impress me in any way. His only decent match was with Bryan, because Bryan wrestled a good match around him.
I'm hoping Undertaker doesn't come back for WM only so he doesn't get stuck in a match with Wyatt. It would be a waste of The Undertaker at this point in his career.