Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203702 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Roman Reigns......great.
« Reply #595 on: December 15, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
Didn't watch the show, but I've read up on it. That Cena/Rollins match must've been a trainwreck!

And Reigns announcing he's in the Rumble? Way not to telegraph who's winning that, WWE!

I'll just stick to watching NXT for the foreseeable future.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #596 on: December 15, 2014, 09:17:47 AM »
I thought it was a very entertaining PPV.  Big Show/Rowan was better than expected.  I think some of the smarks are a little too hard on the product.  There are gonna be shitty matches on every card.  That's how you develop talent.  I think the overall WWE and NXT products have been very strong in 2014, especially considering how many top guys they've lost (Punk, Bryan, Reigns).  2015 will only be better, especially when they start adding more new/exclusive content to the network, which I still say is the best thing ever.

But yeah.....Ramen....Royal....Rain...Rambler Reigns sucks

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: December 15, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
Regarding the finish of Ambrose/Wyatt, I actually didn't mind it.  Everyone is calling it a screwy finish, but the story it was trying to tell seemed pretty straightforward to me: Ambrose was so obsessed with hurting Wyatt that he didn't realize the TV was plugged in, and handling it so roughly came back to bite him in the ass.  This is his 'lunatic fringe' attitude getting in his own way.

Or that's my take on it, anyway. 

The match could still have had a much better ending, don't get me wrong.  I just don't think it was horrible.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: December 15, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »
Regarding the finish of Ambrose/Wyatt, I actually didn't mind it.  Everyone is calling it a screwy finish, but the story it was trying to tell seemed pretty straightforward to me: Ambrose was so obsessed with hurting Wyatt that he didn't realize the TV was plugged in, and handling it so roughly came back to bite him in the ass.  This is his 'lunatic fringe' attitude getting in his own way.

Or that's my take on it, anyway. 

The match could still have had a much better ending, don't get me wrong.  I just don't think it was horrible.

You're right. The finish made sense, and played to the lunatic fringe thing perfectly. But it was still an underwhelming way to end the show.

If I were running it.... I'da have the hometown kid win his ladder match in the last match, instead of the first.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #599 on: December 19, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »

Kill Owens kill!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #600 on: December 25, 2014, 05:45:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRm-2loMupM

By reading some comments on youtube I found an awesome 30-minute Ironman Match between Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose when they were in FCW!

I started watching wrestling when Evolution broke up and I stopped between Wrestlemania 24 and 25 (I bought PPVs regularly from Vengeance 2005, maybe there was a more economic way to follow WWE  ;D). After that, I watched only a few matches on youtube after reading Wrestlemania reviews and I really enjoyed the epic Undertaker matches with Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels. I regret to have missed the period when CM Punk had the belt for more than one year because he was one of my favourite wrestlers when I decided not to follow WWE anymore!
Lately, when I have time, I follow Raw or Smackdown maybe once every three weeks and I read something on internet. I regained interest  thanks to the Shield first, in particular Dean Ambrose, and then I followed most of the storyline between Daniel Bryan and the Authority. I like also Bray Wyatt and Paige from the other new entries

This week I've seen half of TLC, Charlotte vs Sasha Banks and Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville of NXT Revolution. I rarely saw a women's match like this one and the main event was fantastic. I have registered NXT for tomorrow :)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: December 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
One of my Christmas presents to my wife are floor seats for tonight's episode of Raw in Washington D.C. She is a HUGE Edge fan, and she has never seen him live.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: December 29, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
It should be a cool show with Edge & Christian hosting

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: December 29, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
Fantastic show, for Raw standards. Seats were awesome, as well.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow amazing seats!!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Anybody ordering/watching NJPW's Wrestle Kingdom 9?

I shelled out money for the PPV, first time I've bought a wrestling PPV in I don't know how long!

I've bought it for two reasons: 1) JR is doing the commentary for the US broadcast. 2) Support the great stuff NJPW is doing and has for a few years now. Man, if someone found a way to broadcast more NJPW stuff in the US it could have a legitimate chance at becoming a new WCW (i.e., competition). 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
We're gonna watch it just because JR. I assume the wrestling is going to kick WWE's ass either way, but having JR calling it just elevates anything to must-see at this point.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not getting  the PPV but I'm sure I read somewhere that New Japan is starting a network too, just like WWE

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Yeah, it's already up and running. Though, I can't seem to find an English version of it.

njpwworld.com

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
I am apparently the hipster of the internet because I'm not looking forward to Wrestle Kingdom at all.  Mainly because I've seen 90% of the matches before.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just finished watching Wrestle Kingdom. Damn good PPV from start to finish! There were a couple of matches in the middle that weren't as good, but even those would have been standouts at the typical WWE PPV these days.
That opening tag match was crazy, and those last two singles matches were easily among the best recent matches I've seen. A lot of variety in styles, and watching 4 hours of this was much less of a chore than a WWE PPV or even Raw is. It flew by. Having JR on commentary was just the icing on the cake.

I've also been rewatching aa lot of Rumbles lately in preparation for this year's one. The 2003 Royal Rumble would have to be the best I've seen. Amazing wrestling and pacing from start to finish. The other early 2000s ones are also great due to the big names. You know it's good when it comes down to Undertaker, Kane, Austin and Rock. They don't even have the big names to top that any more.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
From Wrestle Kingdom, I'd give props to three matches: Ishii/Makabe, Naito/Styles and Nakamura/Ibushi. Though I might be biased towards Naito [He's my fav]. I don't think Tanahashi/Okada lived up to some of their previous work, and there's some problems with it. JR really helped, and hearing him say "Superkick Party" was fantastic.

Also 2001 Rumble is my favourite, I think. Or 2007.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ishii/Makabe was actually my least favourite, but even then, a very good match for bigger guys wrestling that style.
The opening match and the last two would be my favourites. Outside of the last two matches, I generally preferred the tag matches over the singles ones, but I wouldn't say there was a bad match among them. Nothing close to skip-worthy.

Those early 2000s Rumbles are all among the better ones I've seen. I watched the 2007 Rumble, and the ending of that was killer. The 2008 Rumble was also great, starting off with those two again.
Of the post-2000 Rumbles, 2012 is easily the worst of them imo. Barely anyone of note, and only 2 or 3 who had any real chance of winning.

Offline Marion Crane

They can't honestly think having Reigns winning the Rumble is a good idea.  He is a decent wrestler at best.  He's beyond terrible on the mic.  People are already getting sick of him.  And especially with Bryan's announcement last week, anyone else winning it will piss the crowd off even worse than last year.  The best thing for Roman Reigns right now going into WM season would be to turn him heel.  Have it payoff with a match with Ambrose at WM 31.  Maybe even a Shield triple threat match. 

My fantasy booking would have Bryan beat Lesnar at WM 31 in a classic David vs Goliath match.  Then have Rollins cash in either that same night, or the next night on Raw in front of that hot crowd.  Have Bryan and Rollins feud with the blow off match being at SummerSlam.  Hell, make it a 60 min Iron Man match for the belt and have them tear the house down. 

But they're lunatics if they think putting Reigns in the title picture right now is a good plan. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It doesn't seem to me as if the crowd is sick of Reigns yet, but I hope they catch on before the Rumble that he's not particularly good. He's awful on the mic, and he only has a few moves, and no variety. He can't carry a 30 minute match, and has no place in the title match at Wrestlemania.

But if Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns are both in the Rumble at the same time, I think the crowd will turn on Reigns in an instant like they did last year with Batista (and anyone else once it was apparent Bryan wasn't in it). All they could do is eliminate Bryan before Reigns even comes in, and hope for the best. I don't expect either guy will be in the Rumble for too long no matter how they book it, so they better be careful.
In a perfect world, Bryan would win the Rumble and make the big comeback rather than Reigns, but I have no delusions of that at all at this stage.

Offline Marion Crane

I don't know man....I really think if you eliminate Bryan from the Rumble it's gonna be SUPER tough to get the crowd back into it.  He's still that over. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know man....I really think if you eliminate Bryan from the Rumble it's gonna be SUPER tough to get the crowd back into it.  He's still that over. 

I agree completely. I just meant the best case scenario for Reigns to win the Rumble is for them to keep him and Bryan as far apart in the Rumble as possible, to give the crowd as much time as possible to accept that somebody else is winning the Rumble.
I'm not sure it will necessarily work (and I hope not), but it's all they could do if they want to stick to Reigns. I was going to say they could just take Bryan out of the Rumble, but I think that would cause an even bigger backlash. :lol It didn't help last year!

Offline Marion Crane

They'd also have to have Reigns eliminate someone the crowd really wants to see lose to win it

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Yeah WK9 was great! That opening match was insane! And the last 3 matches were all great! Though I would've love Ibushi/Nakamura to have gone longer, I love watching Ibushi man! That dude can literally get a great match out of a blow up doll (google it). Kenny Omega is basically a video game villain and I love it!

Also, loved JR! The little underhanded jabs thrown here and there like "The champions, as they always should be, coming to the ring last" were great! :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also, loved JR! The little underhanded jabs thrown here and there like "The champions, as they always should be, coming to the ring last" were great! :lol

I noticed lots of subtle little comments like that. :lol But as usual JR was all class, and there were still positive mentions too. WWE has been taking subtle pot shots at JR since he left too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Loved WK9. I'll take that over that WWE non-sense any day. New japan is something I can actually respect.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
A new one hour show on NJPW debuts tonight on AXS TV, so far it's just some of the best matches from the past 2 years but I encourage anyone to watch it!

Tanahashi vs Okada from WK7 is the match being showed tonight!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've got Wrestle Kingdom 8 ready to watch. I can't wait to see that title match! Those two put on such a good show in their respective matches at WK9, so I can't wait to see them together.

I've also just gotten into Lucha Underground. That's the kind of wrestling I like!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Does anyone know which Raw it was that CM Punk was referring to where Ryback missed the table and dumped him on the floor?

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
September 23, 2013.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Randy "Macho Man" Savage finally headed to the HoF.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
"dumb as fuck..."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Randy "Macho Man" Savage finally headed to the HoF.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

cool news!!