Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203737 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Da Champ is here (again)
« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »
That's because John Cena is a terminator.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »
That's because John Cena is a terminator. eats roids for breakfast.

FTFY. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #387 on: July 15, 2014, 05:28:34 AM »
I was wondering if that was legit, or just part of the angle to get the final four in the ring together leading up to the ppv. I missed the X, but did see the medic go rushing over, and with the camera not panning to him at all, figured it was legit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: July 15, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
The way it happened and was shown looked legit to me. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2014, 07:56:15 AM »
- Word from backstage at last night's RAW is that Seth Rollins is fine and is not injured. A source said Rollins was just selling the knee injury from the main event and doing a good job of it. It was noted that it was suspicious how WWE kept the cameras off Rollins when he went down.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »
It doesn't surprise me that they would try to work the Smarks by making it seem fully legit.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: July 15, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
Just read the same on PWI...WWE wanted only the 4 participants for the Battlefield PPV in the ring at the end

which explains the earlier beat down of Ambrose
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #392 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »
CM Punk's contract expires this week and he sent out this tweet yesterday:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #393 on: July 16, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
I'm going to miss the pipebombs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2014, 01:55:13 PM »
Honestly, I barely watch anymore.  I still have RAW set to DVR every week, but more often than not, I just see what happened at the beginning and end, and that's it; I am done with it in less than 20.  The only two guys I still liked watching a lot aren't even there anymore (Punk and Bryan), so there is no one that makes me want to watch.  The Shield guys are fun to watch, but they aren't must-see performers. 

And while I am not a big fan of his, how badly have they bungled Cesaro's momentum?  Fans were dying to root for him like mad after Wrestlemania, but they crushed his momentum by not turning him heel and now he is losing to Del Rio?  Another genius move by the writers. :lol :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
I find it hard to believe how much they are screwing up Cesaro's momentum.  This guy is major money.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
I find it hard to believe how much they are screwing up Cesaro's momentum.  This guy is major money.

I don't know, I don't think I can trust a guy like Cesaro selling me Fruity Pebbles.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »

I don't know, I don't think I can trust a guy like Cesaro selling me Fruity Pebbles.

If you don't buy them, he will swing you off a bridge into the river.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #398 on: July 19, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »
Chris Jericho... didn't job to the up and coming talent? I guess he's back for a while.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
So much for Mr. Wyatt.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »
Chris Jericho... didn't job to the up and coming talent? I guess he's back for a while.

Wyatt will win the rematch at Summerslam. The same happened in his Cena feud. It doesn't have any impact for Jericho to come back and instantly job to Wyatt without re-establishing himself first in the feud. Wyatt continues to be an extremely unimpressive performer both in and out of the ring. I'll never figure out what anyone sees in him. :dunno:

It's a shame we got screwed out of a real Rollins/Ambrose match, but on the plus side, it means it won't be rehash when the match happens at Summerslam. And they had some good segments throughout the PPV. With another month of build-up on top of what's happened already, that will be the match.

The opening tag match and the women's match were both really good.

The Battle Royal was excellent except for the screwy finish. I thought it was going to be either Miz or Sheamus to win it from the start, but I really wanted Ziggler to win, so that ending was a huge tease. It would have been a great finish if not for that too.
And I swear they only do these an excuse for Kofi Kingston to put on a show, and I'm all for it! Always entertaining.

The title match was average. I wasn't expecting much from it anyway. We knew Cena would retain the title, and we knew Kane would turn on Orton, so there were no surprises here.

All in all though, pretty solid.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
I read that many thought it sucked, but while I disagree with much of what they do these days, their handling of Bray Wyatt makes a lot of sense.  I think his fans need to remember that not every new star has to be a main event guy.  He has been around for only around a year and has already worked a long program with John Cena; that is pretty darn good.  And do people really think Vince would let a guy who looks like him be the face of his company?  Hell no. 

From 1988-1991, in the WWF, you had:

-the two or three main event guys: Hogan, Warrior and Savage for a spell)
-guys just below that level who were occasional main eventers whom you were always gonna get good matches out of: Rude, Hennig, Savage again, DiBiase, etc.
-the one guy who almost always had the most interesting feud: Jake Roberts.

In a sense, Bray Wyatt is like the modern day Jake Roberts.  And Jake was almost never in main events and never held a title, but he was always at the forefront.  That is likely to be Wyatt's future, although Wyatt will likely hold some titles and be in the occasional main events, because nowadays there are 18 titles and 288 PPVs a year.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
Comparing late 80s wrasslin to the entertainment of today isn't apples to apples.  There were Tier 1 main eventers (those that you mentioned), and then tier 2 main eventers, of which I'd say there was a much bigger crop - the tag teams, Steamboat, Honky, Orndorff, Andre, Studd, Murroco, Piper and a few others.  Everyone else was a mid-carder.  And rarely, RARELY did people move too much in between.  A few lucky mid-carders might get to the Tier-2 main event group, but I can't think of anyone that broke through.  Also, the big names never fell down to the mid-card territory.  Nowadays, guys can get propelled like Miz, then in less than a year be nobody's.  That didn't happen too much back then.

Wyatt is more like the modern day Junkyard Dog.   :rollin

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »

In a sense, Bray Wyatt is like the modern day Jake Roberts.  And Jake was almost never in main events and never held a title, but he was always at the forefront.  That is likely to be Wyatt's future, although Wyatt will likely hold some titles and be in the occasional main events, because nowadays there are 18 titles and 288 PPVs a year.

Yeah but Jake in his prime was a great worker and the best promo guy in the business. Wyatt...isn't  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »

Yeah but Jake in his prime was a great worker and the best promo guy in the business. Wyatt...isn't  :rollin

Very true.  Jake was so great, he didn't need a title to get over, as a face or heel.

Comparing late 80s wrasslin to the entertainment of today isn't apples to apples.  There were Tier 1 main eventers (those that you mentioned), and then tier 2 main eventers, of which I'd say there was a much bigger crop - the tag teams, Steamboat, Honky, Orndorff, Andre, Studd, Murroco, Piper and a few others.  Everyone else was a mid-carder.  And rarely, RARELY did people move too much in between.  A few lucky mid-carders might get to the Tier-2 main event group, but I can't think of anyone that broke through.  Also, the big names never fell down to the mid-card territory.  Nowadays, guys can get propelled like Miz, then in less than a year be nobody's.  That didn't happen too much back then.

Wyatt is more like the modern day Junkyard Dog.   :rollin

:lol :lol :lol

Imagine a promo like this nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aSRUJ9XQC-o#t=91

The look on Mean Gene's face right after Valentine calles JYD a "nasty black man" is freaking priceless. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
If I was Heath Slater I would just quit. He even has to job to celebrities.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #407 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »
Love or hate Triple H, you can't deny he's been killing it for months now! God he's such a heel!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #409 on: July 26, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
He's always been a great bad guy, and I'm sure he loves doing it. One of the many reasons why probably he doesn't stay a face for long. What was his longest face run? Probably less than a year (with the exception of the DX runs)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #410 on: July 26, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
I think what he's doing now is his best stuff, IMO. How he needles the smarks from time to time, like on this Monday saying the stuff about "I'm gonna complain about it... on Twitter", all the stuff with Bryan, screaming at the cops "career choices". It's sooooo good!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #411 on: July 26, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
I think what he's doing now is his best stuff, IMO. How he needles the smarks from time to time, like on this Monday saying the stuff about "I'm gonna complain about it... on Twitter", all the stuff with Bryan, screaming at the cops "career choices". It's sooooo good!

That was great and all, but what ruined it for me was Brie/Nicki's acting. She really needs to get lessons/give a fuck.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: July 26, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »
He's always been a great bad guy, and I'm sure he loves doing it. One of the many reasons why probably he doesn't stay a face for long. What was his longest face run? Probably less than a year (with the exception of the DX runs)

I started watching again early in 2009 and he was a face since then until his heel turn last summer, and that's 4 1/2 years.  Granted, he had a few long spells where he wasn't on TV at all, but he was a face for a pretty long time there. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: July 26, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »

That was a fantastic promo. My problem with HHH is that a lot of the time you know the heel stuff he says is what he actually thinks in real life, and I don't like him inserting himself into whatever the biggest storyline is.
But to his credit, he does play the heel well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
I can't say I've ever watched a complete TNA show from beginning to end.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
I haven't watched a single second  :|

And honestly WWE doesn't hold my attention either

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
I watched a few episodes of it, mostly when AJ Styles was in it and Sting first got there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #418 on: July 29, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
Cesaro's promo was funny but sill pretty awful, not to mention awkward. If they're going to keep him heel, he needs to improve his mic skills so he doesn't end up like Ryback.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #419 on: July 29, 2014, 10:18:53 AM »
Unlike Ryback, Cesaro can actually wrestle so he won't end up like him.... hopefully.