Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203653 times)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Raw is Punk?
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
What's funny to me is that Punk has said this should be Daniel Bryan's year, so if he does leverage himself into the WM main event, he'd be stealing Bryan's spot.

I don't think Punk left because he himself wasn't in the main event.  I think it's because WWE went with Batista instead of Bryan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
What's funny to me is that Punk has said this should be Daniel Bryan's year, so if he does leverage himself into the WM main event, he'd be stealing Bryan's spot.

Not true.  They seem to not want to put Bryan in the main event, so how can Punk be stealing Bryan's spot if he was never really gonna be in it anyway?

And if they do add Bryan into the main event as a triple threat, it would likely be if Punk doesn't come back and only as damage control because of how badly they screwed the pooch. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »

I don't think Punk left because he himself wasn't in the main event.  I think it's because WWE went with Batista instead of Bryan.

That was probably the last straw, but not the only straw.  Odds are, if Punk comes back, it will be under a new contract where he has some type of creative control over his character.  Given that Punk has zero faith in creative to do anything right, I can see him negotiating a large chunk of creative control, ala Bret Hart prior to his 1997 departure.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Yeah I can see that

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »

Not true.  They seem to not want to put Bryan in the main event, so how can Punk be stealing Bryan's spot if he was never really gonna be in it anyway?

Because if he really wanted Daniel Bryan to get the main event, he could try to use his leverage to make that happen.  Agree to come back and face Triple H at Mania on the condition that they add Bryan to the title match.  I'm not saying that would work, of course; I'm just saying it's something he could try if he was really doing this for the fans.  The thing is, I'm not at all sure he's doing this for the fans, or for Daniel Bryan, or for anybody other than himself.  And if he walked out on his contract as a power play to put himself in the main event, then as far as I'm concerned, he's really just a child throwing a temper tantrum when he doesn't get his way. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love it if Punk was added to the main event.  It would be better with him than without him, because I still have the utmost respect for him as a performer.  I'm just not sure how I'll feel about him as a person if he's just been holding the WWE hostage to get himself back in the spotlight. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

Because if he really wanted Daniel Bryan to get the main event, he could try to use his leverage to make that happen.  Agree to come back and face Triple H at Mania on the condition that they add Bryan to the title match.  I'm not saying that would work, of course; I'm just saying it's something he could try if he was really doing this for the fans.  The thing is, I'm not at all sure he's doing this for the fans, or for Daniel Bryan, or for anybody other than himself.  And if he walked out on his contract as a power play to put himself in the main event, then as far as I'm concerned, he's really just a child throwing a temper tantrum when he doesn't get his way. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love it if Punk was added to the main event.  It would be better with him than without him, because I still have the utmost respect for him as a performer.  I'm just not sure how I'll feel about him as a person if he's just been holding the WWE hostage to get himself back in the spotlight. 

Even if he is just throwing a temper tantrum, he's still doing what is ACTUALLY best for business.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »
If you've seen Punk's DVD, you'll probably get his mindset is that he's still trying to change WWE for the better, even if his methods aren't as popular as some people like. (Not too sure what people want from Punk really)
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »
The fact that Batista has gone heel after being brought back as a monster face proves that creative is in scramble mode. Who know's what we'll end up seeing. I hope that crowd is insane tonight. Crowds are fun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »

I could not disagree more.

Is he trying to get a better spot for himself?  Of course, but what is wrong with that?  Should he just roll over and allow himself to be booked horribly, just so he can say he towed the company line and did what he was told?  Hell no.  Remember that the whole reason Michaels, HHH, Nash and Hall formed the Kliq back in the day was to have more say in how they were booked, instead of having to bow down to Vince and kiss his ass.  When you have power, you have leverage, and Punk has both at the moment.  When you combine how pissed the fans are at Bryan's awful booking as of late with Punk's departure, it is safe to say that right now the WWE needs Punk more than he needs them, which is why Vince has reportedly been scrambling like crazy to get him back in the fold.  Besides, there isn't a performer in the business with tons of power who hasn't used it to get what he wanted. Hogan, Flair, Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Bret, Michaels, HHH, Cena, Punk, etc....they've all done it.  It's the nature of the business.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »

Is he trying to get a better spot for himself?  Of course, but what is wrong with that?  Should he just roll over and allow himself to be booked horribly, just so he can say he towed the company line and did what he was told?  Hell no.  Remember that the whole reason Michaels, HHH, Nash and Hall formed the Kliq back in the day was to have more say in how they were booked, instead of having to bow down to Vince and kiss his ass.  When you have power, you have leverage, and Punk has both at the moment.  When you combine how pissed the fans are at Bryan's awful booking as of late with Punk's departure, it is safe to say that right now the WWE needs Punk more than he needs them, which is why Vince has reportedly been scrambling like crazy to get him back in the fold.  Besides, there isn't a performer in the business with tons of power who hasn't used it to get what he wanted. Hogan, Flair, Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Bret, Michaels, HHH, Cena, Punk, etc....they've all done it.  It's the nature of the business.

I agree with every word of that. Vince, and other promoters through the years have had to cater to the demands of their draws. Just the cost of doing business.

This is cute:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »
Sounds like I need to DVR Raw.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

My point is that he claims this should be Daniel Bryan's year in the spotlight.  For him to then do everything in his power to put himself in the spotlight just strikes me as a bit hypocritical.  That's all. 

But I realize I'm in a minority on this.  I've already been literally cussed out elsewhere on the internet.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
Not trying to beat a dead horse...but I've been a wrestling fan for over 25 years now and a small part of me still sees this whole thing being a work.  I can just totally see Vince/HHH/Punk coming up with this after the Royal Rumble.  "Let's make it look like you left the company, even in your personal life.  The IWC will go crazy.  Take a month off, stay off Twitter, get your rest, then return for the RAW in Chicago in a month."

If this isn't the case, then it's almost like WWE is deliberately trying to make their creative team the new heel faction, much like the Corperation/McMahon/Helmsley regime was back in the day.  Except instead of Rock and Austin, it's now Punk and Bryan.  And instead of a work, it's a shoot. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »
Not trying to beat a dead horse...but I've been a wrestling fan for over 25 years now and a small part of me still sees this whole thing being a work.  I can just totally see Vince/HHH/Punk coming up with this after the Royal Rumble.  "Let's make it look like you left the company, even in your personal life.  The IWC will go crazy.  Take a month off, stay off Twitter, get your rest, then return for the RAW in Chicago in a month."

If this isn't the case, then it's almost like WWE is deliberately trying to make their creative team the new heel faction, much like the Corperation/McMahon/Helmsley Bischoff/Russo was back in the day.

Agreed, this could all be a very elaborate work, but I don't think that the McMahon's have that much creativity in them anymore.  Interesting theory though.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
WWE has announced that tonight, Batista will face Daniel Bryan. Interesting...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
After Batista's promo on SmackDown talking about how he was going to destroy all of the fans' heroes, I kinda figured they'd be feeding him Daniel Bryan sooner or later.  I expect Bryan will end up getting Batista Bombed through the announce table or something.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.  But after what happened with Ziggler, I'm not optimistic. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »
Watching the Pre-Show.... just heard a CM Punk chant, loud and proud..... they're currently filming O'Neil vs. Ryder for Superstars.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Paul Heyman, I love you  :heart

and nice touch with the sitting indian style.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
Paul Heyman, I love you  :heart

and nice touch with the sitting indian style.

Well... if he's NOT there... this is certainly the best way to approach it.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »
He HAS to be there.  And if he isn't, someone needs to call a cab and get him there in the next 2.5 hrs.  Or else this crowd will riot.  We're gonna hear Punk chants for the rest of the night, unless DB is wrestling.  Maybe even then.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
Awesome to see the Usos win the Tag Team Titles.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »

If this isn't the case, then it's almost like WWE is deliberately trying to make their creative team the new heel faction, much like the Corperation/McMahon/Helmsley Bischoff/Russo was back in the day.

Agreed, this could all be a very elaborate work, but I don't think that the McMahon's have that much creativity in them anymore.  Interesting theory though.

If it's all a work, then it's awesome. But I don't give them any benefit of the doubt right now that they have that kind of creativity either. I think they're just legitimately doing a shit job of business.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 06:46:13 PM »
Wow... I get that they're building towards Cesaro/Swagger... but what a waste.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
That seals it.  If the 6 man tag isn't closing the show, then Bryan/Batista is.  Punk is showing up then.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »

If it's all a work, then it's awesome. But I don't give them any benefit of the doubt right now that they have that kind of creativity either. I think they're just legitimately doing a shit job of business.

As much as I wish they were that creative, I know in my heart that they've probably just fallen ass backwards into something special here, because D-bry and Punk are red hot over right now. And jaded, cynical me is now watching RAW for the first time in months.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
I say again, Seth Rollins is a god!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
That was an awesome match. Nice to see that Seth was the one that deserted the other two, while so many thought it would be Dean.

Think a triple threat match at Wrestlemania is likely.... perhaps for the United States Title.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
Well, that was a lunch bag let down.  Steph and HHH are just brutal at promo's these days.  There were so many opportunities for Bryan to tear her to shreds.  I liked how he immediately dismissed her - "Anyway..."   :lol  But it would've been better for him to respond "you wouldn't have anything without your family".

Could they be possibly setting up the all-too-obvious three-way for the title?  I can't say that I'm anymore interested in what the WWE is doing these days, and was highly disappointed in no Punk.  It's clearly not a work now, because tonight would've been the night to capitalize on it if it was a work.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 05:47:49 AM »
Yesterday was a great show, all things considered. It does look like we're getting a triple threat for the title. Maybe Trips and Bryan's match will be a win and you're in sort of thing. We'll see.

As for Punk.... yeah, he's gone and it's legit. If it was a work, last night was the time to bring him back.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »
Whilst I'm sure Punk not being there is worrying, man, Heyman's line about "The man that nobody dares talk about" was pretty awesome.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 06:27:38 AM »
I think last night's show featured some of the loudest booing I've ever heard in my life.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:41 AM »
Having Heyman come out to Punk's music at the beginning was a cheap ploy to make most think, they wouldn't do that unless Punk was showing up later, and keep watching for the whole night.  And it probably worked. :lol :lol

Pairing Aaron Paul with Ziggler was a wise move, since you know they didn't want their guest star getting booed, and pairing him with a guy a smarky Chicago crowd loves was the way to go.

And I've never seen John Cena look so bored and irrelevant.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 06:49:11 AM »
Heyman is such a master! I laughed so much when he took the crowd to it's zenith of pro-Punkness and then turn all that into heat for Brock and himself with one sentence! :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2014, 03:41:15 AM »
- We noted before that John Cena and Daniel Bryan were being planned to be pushed as the #1 and #2 guys in WWE coming out of WrestleMania XXX. Cesaro will also be pushed big time and is being planned for a big match at SummerSlam. Other names to be pushed hard after WrestleMania include Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Batista, Brock Lesnar & Paul Heyman and Randy Orton.

Not sure how you push Batista and Randy Orton any more than they already have. :lol