Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203643 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Pro Wrestling Thread
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
With the Sith's permission.... our road to Wrestlemania 29 has finally ended! It can be re-lived here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20211.0

So new Pro Wrestling Fed.... how about some generic Q&As?

1. When did you first get into wrestling?

2. Favorite promotions?

3. Favorite wrestlers?

4. Favorite shows?

5. Favorite matches?

As we all know, We're on the Road to Wrestlemania XXX. How do you feel about what WWE has done thus far in regards to shaping the card? Are you pumped for Orton Vs. Bootista? Do you cringe at the idea of Trips getting Daniel Bryan? How do you feel about Brock and Taker? Cena and Wyatt? Etc?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:31:00 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - v. Bootista
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »
1. When did you first get into wrestling? The first show that I watched was Wrestlemania VI. Got to see The Ultimate Challenge. Good time to get on board.

2. Favorite promotions? I'll always love the WWE, but I also enjoy TNA and ROH... I haven't gotten into PWG or any of the Japanese promotions, which is a shame.

3. Favorite wrestlers? All Time: Edge, Chris Jericho, Kane, CM Punk, Chris Benoit.
                              Current: Cesaro, Daniel Bryan, Damien Sandow, Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose.

4. Favorite shows? I was fortunate enough to attend Wrestlemania 21, so that was a surreal experience. I also loved the 2001 Royal Rumble, Survivor Series '98, and WM19, 20 & 24.

5. Favorite matches? I'll have to think long and hard on this one... but for now, let's go with Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit in a Ladder Match for the I.C. Title at the 2001 Royal Rumble. 

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
I have not watched Wrestling regularly since Vince Mcmahons limo blew up, But I see WWE has watered itself down further to a TVPG rating, and TNA is still a whole lot of wasted potential (great wrestlers, Awful Writing)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
1. When did you first get into wrestling? 2000, left about 2005, got back in 2011.

2. Favorite promotions? WWE, ICW and PWG.

3. Favorite wrestlers? Sami Zayn (El Generico), Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Antonio Cesaro, Seth Rollins, Kevin Steen, Naito and Bray Wyatt.

4. Favorite shows? MITB 2011, Wrestlemania 17, PWG All Star Weekend X & NJPW The New Begininning Night 2.

5. Favorite matches? CM Punk vs John Cena, Stone Cold vs Rock (WM17), Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt, Cesaro vs Zayn

My opinion of Bootista vs Orton can be summed as this: Nobody who debuted after 2003 but The Miz has headlined Wrestlemania. Think about that.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »

1992. I was 5 years old and My mom's boyfriend was huge into it and got me into it. My earliest memory of wrestling was seeing the undertaking in the deadman gimmick. Absolutely incredible and I was hooked.

2. Favorite promotions?

WCW and WWF

3. Favorite wrestlers?

Top shelf: Undertaker, Sting, Macho, Flair, Shawn Michaels, Bret. Jake the snake, Austin

Also really like: Rick the model Martel, Rick Rude, Scott hall, Nash, Old Kane

Contemporary: Shield, D Bry, Punk, Santino.

4. Favorite shows?

Too many to name

5. Favorite matches?

Brett vs. SM Iron man match
Ric flair Iron man winning the 92 rumble

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
I'd also like to add the the WWE Network is awesome. Their archive of past PPVs is amazing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
I'll answer some of the questions later, but for now, I'm just posting to subscribe to the new thread.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Crowd giving Batista the business to kick off Smackdown.

Okay... he's officially heel...... so do they turn Orton face, add someone into the match, change the match.... or leave it as is...

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:16:49 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
Batista: Hated so much NXT crowds hate him.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
He was booed out of the building when he left. Why would they think the WWE Universe would welcome him back?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »
He was booed out of the building when he left. Why would they think the WWE Universe would welcome him back?

They would have welcomed him back under different circumstances. If he came in and got tangled in a feud with a mid or top heel, they'd be all for it. But to come back and win the Rumble on the first night back when WWE had better choices is what has garnered the Universe's ire.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »
I've decided I'm not going to answer those questions after all.  I started making a list of my favorite wrestlers, and by the time I stopped to check how many I had, I was at almost 30.   :lol  Same thing happened when I started trying to pick favorite matches.  A couple sprang to mind immediately, and then I kept thinking of more and more I needed to mention. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 04:58:48 AM »
1. When did you first get into wrestling? - When I was a young boy, with Mid-Atlantic Wrestling/Crockett Promotions/NWA

2. Favorite promotions? - see above

3. Favorite wrestlers? - Ric Flair is the greatest of all time.  I have others that I like, but none compare to Flair.  Hulk Hogan is the antichrist.

4. Favorite shows? - Again showing my age, but some of the old Starrcades and Great American Bashes from the 80s and early 90s.

5. Favorite matches? - Flair vs. Steamboat (any).  Also, one of my favorite matches remains the Austin/Hart match when Austin passed out at the end.  There is also a special place in my heart for the Mankind/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match.  And believe it or not, my first "holy shit" wrestling moment was in July 1985.  The regular weekly Mid-Atlantic Wrestling show featured a match between the reigning tag champs Ivan Koloff and Krusher Kruschev against brand-new-to-the-territory team the Rock N Roll Express.  It was a fantastic match, and pretty much took the whole hour of the show, and the Express won, their first NWA tag title.  Unbelievable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

Early 80s, when my dad, my brothers and I would watch Wrestling at the Chase every Sunday morning after church.

2. Favorite promotions?

WWF from the mid 80s to early 90s.

WCW from the mid 90s to late 90s.

Currently, WWE, but mainly because there is no other good alternative.

3. Favorite wrestlers?

From the past: Hulk Hogan, Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig, Jake the Snake Roberts, Macho Man Randy Savage, and Bret Hart.

Currently: Daniel Bryan and CM Punk.

4. Favorite shows?

Saturday Night's Main Event was awesome back in the 80s/early 90s.  Royal Rumble has always been the best PPV.  The NWA's War Games concept back in the day was killer.

5. Favorite matches?

Flair/Steamboat at Chi-Town Rumble in '89
Savage/Steamboat at WM3
Bret/Hennig at SummerSlam '91
Flair/Funk at Great American Bash '89
Hogan/Andre at WM3
Undertaker/Michaels at WM25
CM Punk/Cena at Money in the Bank '11

As we all know, We're on the Road to Wrestlemania XXX. How do you feel about what WWE has done thus far in regards to shaping the card? 

Awful job.

Are you pumped for Orton Vs. Bootista? 

No.

Do you cringe at the idea of Trips getting Daniel Bryan?

No, it's the other way around: I cringe at the idea of Bryan getting stuck in a match with HHH.

How do you feel about Brock and Taker? 

Not interested.  Undertaker it too old and beaten up to make this match as physical as it should be, and Lesnar will likely have to tone down his style a bit. 

Cena and Wyatt? 

Cena is boring at this point, and while Wyatt's gimmick is okay, him getting Cena already at a Wrestlemania seems premature.

Etc?

Their burying of Dolph Ziggler since last spring is a damn shame.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
And believe it or not, my first "holy shit" wrestling moment was in July 1985.  The regular weekly Mid-Atlantic Wrestling show featured a match between the reigning tag champs Ivan Koloff and Krusher Kruschev against brand-new-to-the-territory team the Rock N Roll Express.  It was a fantastic match, and pretty much took the whole hour of the show, and the Express won, their first NWA tag title.  Unbelievable.

I found that match on youtube recently. Didn't watch the whole thing, but reminded me the Rock n Roll Express were my favorites, they might still be #1 if I had to think all-time.

I also loved Ric Flair, the Four Horsemen, Dusty Rhodes, and the old NWA. I loved the Road Warriors too, though hated how most of their matches never lasted more than 60 seconds.

Also, Bobby Heenan. Nothing to say, because he probably said it all already.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 12:12:39 PM »
Had to be mid to late 1990's with PR's World Wrestling Council.

2. Favorite promotions?
WWF/E & WCW

3. Favorite wrestlers?
Stone Cold Steve Austin, CM Punk, The Rock, Daniel Bryan, Sting, Seth Rollins, Eddie Guerrero, Glamour Boy Shane, Pre-WWE Rey Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon

4. Favorite shows?
Not sure I have an all-time favorite show, but Money in the Bank 2011 came to mind when I read this.

5. Favorite matches?
Any of the Austin/Rock matches on WM, Punk/Cena MitB '11, the first Taker/HBK, the "ladder war" match between El Generico/Kevin Stein and a bunch of others I won't name because the list would be too long.

How do you feel about what WWE has done thus far in regards to shaping the card?
Bad

Are you pumped for Orton Vs. Bootista?
Is anybody pumped for this?

Do you cringe at the idea of Trips getting Daniel Bryan?
Yep! Shovel time!

How do you feel about Brock and Taker?
Has potential to be good, Brock since coming back has been selling like there's no tomorrow! :lol
Just look at how he jumped around when Big Show pushed him.

Cena and Wyatt? Etc?
I think this match is in jeopardy with that bum knee Cena got on Raw (EDIT: Hah, Cena wrestled last night, I guess that was a work). Anyway, Wyatt needs to impress me more in the ring. Luke Harper is really good though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:24:56 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
https://www.wwe.com/videos/byron-saxton-interviews-dolph-ziggler-wwe-app-exclusive-feb-28-2014-26186141 Thing this is all you need to know about why Ziggler should be main event.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 12:15:52 AM »
What if WWE was behind all the chanting? All those chants meant to talk shit to the WWE were actually started by WWE plants...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:46 AM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
Video doesn't load for me. :/
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »
There's a lot of speculation about tomorrow night's Raw in Chicago. WWE seems to be pulling out all the stops to have an entertaining show, but regardless of what they do... if Punk isn't there, the crowd is going to let them hear it all night. At this point, who knows for sure if Punk being gone is a work, is legit, or was legit and has since been resolved. Either way, tomorrow night's Raw has the potential to be great.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
Take with a grain of salt:

"CM Punk is expected to return at tomorrow night's Raw in Chicago, Illinois, according to Dave Meltzer on today's edition of Wrestling Observer Radio.

While Meltzer won’t say he’s 100% sure Punk will be at the show, his source, who he says is "one of the biggest stars in the industry," said that it’s 100% certain.

Punk has been absent from WWE programming since the Raw following the Royal Rumble on Jan. 27."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1978470-report-cm-punk-to-appear-on-hometown-edition-of-raw

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Raw is Punk?
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
I'm up there with Hef on my memories - though he was right in the thick of it for mid-atlantic.  I'll get to the questions later, but one of my earliest wrestling memories is Piper cracking Cap'n Lou with that gold record Lauper presented him with at MSG.  And thus Wrestlemania was born.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »
Punk will be there tomorrow night?  I'll believe when I see it.  It it does happen, what will his involvement in Wrestlemania be?  When they were starting to go with the Punk/HHH route a few months back, I think they missed the boat by not injecting AJ Lee and Stephanie into it.  They could have made AJ being Punk's gf as part of the storyline, and then AJ/Stephanie could have been an entertaining WM matchup.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »
When is the last time Stephanie wrestled anyone?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »
I hope Punk shows up, just for the crowd reaction.  The building will explode. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
I would love to see Punk show up on Raw, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 12:17:18 AM »

2. Favorite promotions?

3. Favorite wrestlers?

4. Favorite shows?

5. Favorite matches?

As we all know, We're on the Road to Wrestlemania XXX. How do you feel about what WWE has done thus far in regards to shaping the card? Are you pumped for Orton Vs. Bootista? Do you cringe at the idea of Trips getting Daniel Bryan? How do you feel about Brock and Taker? Cena and Wyatt? Etc?

1.  I remember hearing about the VonErichs growing up, but I really didn't mark out for it until probably about 2007-2008ish.
2.  WWE (all I know, really)
3.  CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Edge, Jericho, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Roman Reigns
4.  Money in the Bank 2011.
5.  Punk/Cena MitB 2011, Undertaker/Kane Inferno Match Unforgiven 1998, Undertaker/Michaels WM25, Savage/Steamboat WM3 (thanks to WWE Network for the older matches we've been watching)
6.  I used to like HHH before he became the "corporate sellout".  He did a pretty damn good job running RAW the first time around (before Yes Man Johnny Ace replaced him), but now it's just the same old shit.
7.  Pfft, please.
8.  I cringe more at how Dolph Ziggler (amongst others) was utterly buried.
9.  Yawn.  I think Punk/Taker or Bryan/Taker would've been much more enjoyable.
10. I like Cena but his schtick has gotten WAY old.  I also think Wyatt would have much more potential if he wasn't written as a hillbilly psychopath.
11. Dolph had it right on in the video posted above me - WM 30 is big enough that there should be enough room for everyone, but we (the marks) are shown/spoonfed otherwise.  That's part of the reason why Bryan is so over right now, and probably led to Punk leaving.  I'll also believe that Punk is back when I see it.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
WWE would be crazy not to have Punk show up tonight.  Pay him whatever he wants.  That place is gonna flip their sh*t tonight if Punk doesn't show up. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »
My grandpa came to visit in '98 and he was a big wrestling fan. My older brother thought it was stupid, but my younger brother and I got into it pretty quickly thanks to Goldberg. Became a fan just in time to see him beat Hogan for the Championship.

2. Favorite promotions?
WCW and WWF/E. Watching old WCW Nitros makes me cringe though. Definitely a nostalgic memory.

3. Favorite wrestlers?
Goldberg, Stone Cold, Triple H, Kane, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, and Daniel Bryan is pretty cool too I guess.

4. Favorite shows?
No idea. Never kept track of that.

5. Favorite matches?
John Cena's recent matches with Punk and Bryan were really cool, but same as 4. I do like the TLC and ladder matches. Those are always fun.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
WWE would be crazy not to have Punk show up tonight.  Pay him whatever he wants. 

May not be that simple.  If Punk doesn't want to show up, he's not going to show up.  And if he's really dealing with as many nagging injuries as he's said he is, then maybe he shouldn't show up.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
WWE would be crazy not to have Punk show up tonight.  Pay him whatever he wants. 

May not be that simple.  If Punk doesn't want to show up, he's not going to show up.  And if he's really dealing with as many nagging injuries as he's said he is, then maybe he shouldn't show up.

Yeah but it's confirmed that the main reason for his walkout was how they were booking WM, along with him being burnt out.  I seriously think if Punk doesn't show up tonight, Chicago better have some open jail cells

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
Good read below, regarding the Punk situation:

https://pwinsider.com/article/83982/whats-next-for-cm-punk-tonight-will-tell-the-tale.html?p=1

The most important thing to take from that article: CM Punk is not stupid.  Just like he leveraged his contract expiring in 2011 into the Summer of Punk, I believe his walkout was him using his leverage to come back and be in the main event of Wrestlemania 30.  The question is: will Vince give him what he wants?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
What's funny to me is that Punk has said this should be Daniel Bryan's year, so if he does leverage himself into the WM main event, he'd be stealing Bryan's spot. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
I totally think Punk deserves to main event WM, just probably not this WM since they've written themselves into a whole and pretty much Daniel Bryan should be added to the main event.  Even if Punk does come back, I really don't know how they'll make the story lines work this close to the PPV