Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 206279 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2730 on: April 10, 2021, 06:38:31 PM »
I am not much of a Michaels fan (largely, cause he was too much of an asshole for most of his career), but he did a great job in making Flair's last match a classic.

I think what cannot be underestimated either is how key the commentators are in making a great match greater.  Whether it was the Vince/Jesse combo, the Gorilla/Heenan combo, or the Ross/Lawler combo, most great matches have great calls that helped elevate the match.  I will say, too, for as much grief as Michael Cole takes, his call of the final 15-20 seconds of the Bryan/Orton/Batista triple threat match at WM30 and his subsequent call of the victory was perfect.  I will at least give him that.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2731 on: April 11, 2021, 05:30:44 AM »
Shawn Michaels mouthing "I'm sorry. I love you" at the end of that Flair match gets me every time

Man that is one thing WWE (and every YT channel devoted to wrestling) loves to look back on, but it is sure worth it.

Most definitely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2732 on: April 11, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »
Night one was great! Lashley and McIntyre had a hard hitting fight. Seth and Cesaro predictably had an amazing match. AJ became the first wrestler to win the grand slam in both WWE and TNA. Shane and Braun had some fun moments. Bad Bunny surprised with the best in ring celebrity performance ever. And Sasha and Bianca absolutely tore the house down in the main event. If night two is as good as night one was, this could go down as one of the absolute best Manias ever.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2733 on: April 11, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »
Bad Bunny surprised with the best in ring celebrity performance ever.

He honestly sold better than a lot of full-time wrestlers.  Also, I lost my absolute shit at that Canadian Destroyer. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
There should be a game: Dumb wrestling gimmick from the 80s, or stupid rapper name. I legit thought Bad Bunny was a wrestler till I looked him up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2735 on: April 16, 2021, 05:24:12 AM »
Bad Bunny surprised with the best in ring celebrity performance ever.

He honestly sold better than a lot of full-time wrestlers.  Also, I lost my absolute shit at that Canadian Destroyer.

Same. That was nuts.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: April 23, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
Anyone watching the A&E Biography series?  I watched the Stone Cold one.  Not a lot of new stuff I didn't already know, but very well put together.  Nice that A&E preceded it was an old Andre The Giant bio.  THAT was fantastic.

Really looking forward to the Piper one on Sunday.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: May 03, 2021, 09:15:31 PM »
Just watched the Dark Side of the Ring episode about the von Erichs. I cannot recall if I knew about them in real time, I wasn't big in to Wrestling at their peak yet, and their fame might not have reached the PNW. I have learned over the years about their history, so there wasn't a whole lot new for me, but damn if Kevin doesn't deserve a lifetime championship belt for what he had to endure.

Fritz: "You'd kill yourself too if you had the guts."
Kevin: "Dad, it takes guts to live, not to die."

And if it wasn't for that old dude in the gun store, we might not have Kevin to share these stories with us.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2738 on: May 03, 2021, 09:21:53 PM »
I read a review of a brief documentary of a WWE DVD that they did regarding the Von Erichs, back in 2008, but from what I interpret from it was, that's a pretty depressing family.  They were a solid bunch of wrestlers from what I read and, in their home state in Texas, were able to wrestle and hang with guys like Ric Flair and the Freebirds and drew crowds there, and it's just sad to see the way most of them passed away.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2739 on: June 08, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
Well, I mentioned this in the Boxing and MMA thread, but I guess I will also bring it up here.   During the Paul/Mayweather boxing fight last Sunday, Mauro Ranallo (great commentator in anything he does whether it was in WWE, NJPW, etc.), he referenced Floyd taking on the Big Show at Wrestlemania 24 (that event was 13 years ago!!! Where does the time go???) and winning the match via Brass Knuckles (it was No DQ, I think). 

I can't believe WWE booking thought the original plan was they make Floyd the babyface in that match, since he was a hella lot smaller than Big Show and that the story would write itself like if Big Show would face Rey Mysterio (which was actually how it all began back in February 2008 when Big Show returned after over a year-long hiatus where Floyd broke Big Show's nose when the Big Show was about to destroy an injured Mysterio and Floyd came to the rescue.....). Thankfully, they decided to change it since it was that easier to make Floyd the heel for being such an arrogant rich a-hole and I think the match itself worked the way it should have gone for a celebrity involvement.

These fights also got me thinking about this encounter back in the 70s between Antonio Inoki vs Muhammad Ali and how the setup to that fight got really weird.  I feel like that crossover encounter was like the precursor to Mayweather/McGregor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

Anywho, sorry for that train of thought.  Just thinking about Mayweather doing that fight got me thinking about a lot of stuff regarding crossovers.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #2740 on: June 17, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »
Anyone watching the A&E Biography series?  I watched the Stone Cold one.  Not a lot of new stuff I didn't already know, but very well put together.  Nice that A&E preceded it was an old Andre The Giant bio.  THAT was fantastic.

Really looking forward to the Piper one on Sunday.

I watched the Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior (duh) episode and I enjoyed them. The Macho episode, though, was so nonsensical. The people who contributed were assaulting the guy's character. I mean Bubba the Love Sponge and Hogan were the main contributors. They spent way too much time on Elizabeth and his girlfriends. The best part (far and away) was the in depth discussion on his Ricky Steamboat match. That was interesting.

I thought the Warrior was done right. It was good story telling. They talked about the good and the bad and came to some conclusions. As a fan of his later life and youtube channel, I'm glad they focused on the theme of "family" and how it affected his life. How did his passions impact his personal life be it positive or negative. It was done well.

-Tof
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:21:17 PM by tofee35 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: June 17, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
I only have the Mick Foley one left to watch.  I skipped over that one last week, and watched The Hitman.  There wasn't much there I didn't already know.  Some of the Hart family details were new to me, but everything wrestling related was already well documented and has been told over and over again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: June 17, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »
I feel like we are at the point where all that can be said about a lot of subjects has already been said. Do we need anyone to further analyze the Montreal Screwjob at this point?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2743 on: June 17, 2021, 07:38:55 PM »
I caught most of the Warrior one a month or so ago when I was flipping around the dial.  Pretty interesting.  That was cool to see that he and Hogan had a nice moment the weekend of his HOF induction.  Seemed like a good family man.  I know a lot of wrestlers have bagged on him for not being as dedicated to the business as many others, but given the way the business shits all over most of the performers, in retrospect it is hard to really blame him, even if he still died too young.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2744 on: June 18, 2021, 01:03:38 AM »
I feel like we are at the point where all that can be said about a lot of subjects has already been said. Do we need anyone to further analyze the Montreal Screwjob at this point?

Ehhhh, not really.  If I want to hear about the Montreal Screwjob in detail, I'll just watch that Bret and Shawn sit-down interview with JR from their greatest rivalries DVD.  For me, that might be probably my favorite interview part of a DVD, ever, as they dived deep into a lot of stuff over certain events when their paths crossed each other.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2745 on: June 25, 2021, 10:00:56 PM »
Well, the following sentences will be random.  So I'm watching a random NJPW match from 1986.  Don't know why, just because, and there was a brief shot of a young Chris Benoit on the outside watching the match as a young lion, which makes sense, since he did train/wrestle in NJPW around that period, but that the one thing I did not expect to see when watching that random NJPW match.  It still hurts on a lot of levels even 14 years later of what happened regarding Benoit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2746 on: August 20, 2021, 08:23:32 PM »
CM Punk is back! I have something to be excited about in wrestling again. I've never watched AEW though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2747 on: August 20, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
CM Punk is All Elite!!!

-MirrorMask

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2748 on: August 20, 2021, 09:07:08 PM »
CM Punk is back! I have something to be excited about in wrestling again. I've never watched AEW though.

You're in for a treat, AEW is fantastic.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to get drunk and make a stupid purchase of a ticket for Dynamite in NYC next month.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2749 on: August 20, 2021, 09:33:13 PM »
This Chicago crowd is ampted to see their hometown guy back in a wrestling ring at any capacity in a well-known promotion in..... seven years......  Holy crap, it still feels recent when his last match to date was the Royal Rumble 2014 and that was a event that holy crap, the fans were not happy at all with the way WWE was booking stuff.  I hope he can still deliver great matches. Think of the possibilities he can have with Kenny Omega and co. if he does.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1428903068603662339
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:38:41 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2750 on: August 20, 2021, 09:35:41 PM »
It would take a lot to get me to watch pro wrestling again, but Punk being back sure does have my curiosity peaked.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: August 21, 2021, 05:14:48 AM »
Everytime I see an update on this thread, my first thought is "I wonder who died".   :lol  :|

I don't think anything could re-ignite my interest in sports enter... wrestling.  Dammit, it's WRESTLING!  I'll just continue to have fond memories of the Monday Night and Attitude era, plus the odd fantastic match here and there in the 2000s (like HBK v Undertaker - both of 'em).

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2752 on: August 22, 2021, 07:27:23 AM »
It would take a lot to get me to watch pro wrestling again, but Punk being back sure does have my curiosity peaked.

If your curiosity is peaked then you should definitely give AEW a shot. The product is pretty great and the crowd is usually electric in a way you don't really see with the competition these days.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2753 on: August 22, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »
Always love seeing sting in the rafters

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: August 22, 2021, 06:37:16 PM »
Everytime I see an update on this thread, my first thought is "I wonder who died".   :lol  :|

You don't say!

Every time I see this thread bumped to the top, at a time when no one here seems interested in talking about wrestling, I fear some old time wrestler passed away.

Is Sting back? That makes him, Punk, Lesnar, Becky Lynch, and Paul Wight (by the looks of him, the not quite as Big as he used to be Show) within a week or so?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2755 on: August 22, 2021, 07:46:41 PM »
Punk, Becky, and Lesnar came back this weekend. Sting and Paul have been with AEW for a little while now.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: August 23, 2021, 05:23:13 AM »
So, they're following the '90s WCW formula?  Re-hire washed up WWE talent?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2757 on: August 23, 2021, 11:18:33 AM »
So, they're following the '90s WCW formula?  Re-hire washed up WWE talent?

They’ve brought in some older WWE names, but have also brought in younger talent that WWE inexplicably cast aside. These guys wrestling with a chip on their shoulder coupled with the older guys who can help them get better will make AEW a force to be reckoned with.

-MirrorMask

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: August 23, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »
I don't think anything could re-ignite my interest in sports enter... wrestling.  Dammit, it's WRESTLING!  I'll just continue to have fond memories of the Monday Night and Attitude era, plus the odd fantastic match here and there in the 2000s (like HBK v Undertaker - both of 'em).

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  I don't see any way WWE (or wrestling in general) is going to capture my interest again. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2759 on: September 05, 2021, 10:09:58 PM »
I wonder if Vince realizes how royally fucked his company is if he doesn’t start making changes. As of tonight, AEW is THE wrestling company.

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2760 on: September 05, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »
From what I'm reading, AEW has a loaded roster now.  Ancient Sting, old man Jericho, slightly old Punk and Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, the Bucks, Adam Cole, etc.  It feels like AEW is on its way to be what ROH tried to accomplish, but couldn't.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2761 on: September 06, 2021, 06:31:22 AM »
Saw the Bryan and Punk clips on YT.  Pretty cool.  Felt like Jim Ross was sleep walking with his announcing (never underestimate how much great calls in wresting can make or break a moment), but still great moments.  Be interesting to see if AEW can keep it going.  I never think to watch it, but I may have to tune it if Punk and Bryan are there on a regular basis. 

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2762 on: September 07, 2021, 02:21:13 AM »
I've had no interest in wrestling since the early 90's (I was at Summerslam 92 in London).  About 6 months ago I caught some AEW on late night TV and at what started as morbid curiosity has become must watch TV.  I've no real idea what the WWE produces thesedays as that's been behind a paywall in the UK for years,  but AEW is really good, I mean it's wrestling so it's obviously as stupid as f*ck - but my God is it entertaining.  Watch the Young Bucks vs The Lucha Brothers from the weekend and try to tell me that wasn't great viewing.  They have some real good young talent too - Jungle Boy, MJF (probably as good a promo's as anyone I've seen), Sammy Guevara, Darby Allen, Hangman Adam Page....

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2763 on: September 22, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
Bumping this today because AEW is broadcasting tonight from Arthur Ashe Stadium in NYC. It's their first show in New York, their biggest crowd ever (may crack 20k with some last minute additional seating they added), and a ridiculously stacked card being main evented by Bryan Danielson vs Kenny Omega. That's an absolute dream match for pretty much anyone who's been into wrestling for the last decade. So if any of the recent buzz around Punk and Bryan joining has gotten you curious, you should check out Dynamite tonight. Also, ya boy will be there live, so if you do tune in keep an eye out for a handsome gentleman rocking the Heineken logo Haken shirt :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2764 on: September 22, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
Yeah, sure why not!  I'll watch it today.  Might as well.  See what the fuss is all about.  May be the first time I've watched a wrestling show on TV in real time since the SoCal NJPW shows in 2017.