Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 207817 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2695 on: March 19, 2021, 06:37:04 AM »
I forgot to put Ted DiBiase up there.  The Million Dollar Man gimmick was awesome, and he sold it amazingly.  I remember Heenan once saying that on days where they'd shoot promos all day (the ones they would show before matches backstage, for example), he and others would work with the wrestlers to get them just right, but with DiBiase, you just had to turn the camera on and let him go.  He was that good that he needed no prep.

I don't agree about Bret, Michaels, Taker or HHH.  They all had their moments, but were in general average talkers at best. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2696 on: March 19, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »
I don't agree about Bret, Michaels, Taker or HHH.  They all had their moments, but were in general average talkers at best.

I see your point, but I still think you're full of shit. :lol

I'm thinking HBK/HHH in the Attitude era, and origins of D-X.  That was some good shit.  And 'Taker as the American Badass - again, not a lot of charisma, but he was never stiff or uninteresting on the mic.

You can't deny Bret's "El Dandy" promo/comment is pure gold.

Average guys are the likes of Scott Steiner, The Miz, Booker T, Road Warriors, Rude, Hall, Nash, RVD ... those are the guys that I consider average.

Oh, let's also throw Perfect there (RIP) as A-list promo guys.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2697 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »
Scott Steiner had the occasional gold as well, with the "Math" promo  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2698 on: March 19, 2021, 10:10:30 AM »
It felt like Scott Steiner's old decent promos were when he was shooting for real, like when he went off on Flair.  What a waste that guy became. The Big Poppa Pump thing was entertaining for a while, but he was incredible to watch circa 1989-1992.  For a guy as jacked as he was, even back then before he blew up to ridiculous sizes, to perform the Frankensteiner was pretty amazing.  That is still the most bad ass wrestling move ever.

And I agree about Cut Hennig.  Great talker and he had the best smug grin. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2699 on: March 19, 2021, 03:02:42 PM »
Always thought Jericho was under appreciated for his mic work.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2700 on: March 19, 2021, 03:05:47 PM »

I think he is underappreciated in general.  He is an all-time great.  One of the all-time best heels, great on the mic, awesome in the ring, etc. He can and has done it all.  He just never had the massive appeal to bring in non-watchers like Hogan, Rock or Austin did.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: March 19, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »
Ric Flair's NWA Crockett promos are unmatched.  Youtube is great  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: March 19, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »

Good call.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2703 on: March 19, 2021, 03:38:44 PM »
One of my favorite Jericho moments....

Back when WCW had no idea what they had, Jericho was feuding with Dean Malenko (The Man of 1000 Holds) and Jericho wanted it to be known he knew more holds than Malenko.

https://youtu.be/w94CD9ixrNw (5:30 mark, make sure to get thru the commercial)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2704 on: March 19, 2021, 06:56:36 PM »
Best talkers....

From the classic era - Flair, Roberts, Savage
From the Attitude Era - Rock, Austin
From the PG Era - Jericho, Cena, Punk
From the Modern Era - MJF, Moxley, Kingston

Honorable mention to the managers, Heenan, Cornette, Heyman and Callis

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2705 on: March 20, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »
One of my favorite Jericho moments....

Back when WCW had no idea what they had, Jericho was feuding with Dean Malenko (The Man of 1000 Holds) and Jericho wanted it to be known he knew more holds than Malenko.

https://youtu.be/w94CD9ixrNw (5:30 mark, make sure to get thru the commercial)

One of my favorites, he was so good at getting heat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2706 on: March 20, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »
Shouldn't Booker T be on the list of great talkers on the strength of calling Hogan the n-word (with the -a ending) on live TV once?  :lol :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2707 on: March 20, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
^^ I loved how in the split second after Booker T called Hogan, the N-word, Booker T immediately knew that he was not suppose to say that on TV and put his hands on his head and years later, when he talked about it, he thought he was going to be blackballed from WCW after he said it.

Anywho, I finished watching the Royal Rumble 2005 match.  I always say that the 2004 version may by my 2nd favorite match ever, but the 2005 version is a pretty good follow-up.  You see Guerrero and Benoit going head-to-head at #1 and #2 at the start.  Then, they started chopping at a rookie and then Hardcore Holly was really chopping at the rookie as well.  You see a less broken down Edge and Mysterio.  Chris Jericho (in his grunge-style hairdo at the time) was at his last Royal Rumble PPV until 2008.  You see 4 Raw and 4 Smackdown guys teaming up to eliminate Muhammad Hassan.  HBK and Angle had a brief clash where they eliminated each other to set up their match at WM 21.  Batista was hella over (and less injured-prone).

The final four line-up was pretty good as well with Cena, Edge, Mysterio, and Batista.  Those guys were over, non-injured prone, and non-oversaturated compared to 2010 where three of those four guys was in the final four (subbing Mysterio for HBK) where at that point people were already sick of Cena, Batista was starting to move out of wrestling, and Edge was about a year away from retiring the first time.  I wished the final two between Cena and Batista had a much longer finish ala Undertaker/HBK in 2007 and you say what you want about WWE, and their decision-making nowadays. In 2005, that was the right call for those two guys to be the final two and to build around the company moving forward.  It sucks about the botched ending, but at least, we get Vince being pissed and then blowing his legs out when he entered the ring.

Good match.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: March 20, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
Vince being pissed and then blowing his legs out when he entered the ring.

That still gives me the heebee jeebies when I see that - especially since he didn't realize how bad it was until his tried to stand up, and completely buckled over.

:shivers:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: March 21, 2021, 11:31:40 PM »
So Alexa Bliss pinned a 15 time world champion in cowgirl position after interference from essentially Jason Voorhees.

Covid-era WWE is kinda wild. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2710 on: March 22, 2021, 10:29:15 AM »
Ric Flair's NWA Crockett promos are unmatched.
This is true.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2711 on: March 22, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
So Alexa Bliss pinned a 15 time world champion in cowgirl position after interference from essentially Jason Voorhees.

Covid-era WWE is kinda wild.

Kinda reminds me of when Marc Mero let Sabel powerbomb him and it ruined all his credibility  :P  But yeah, WWE is whack

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: March 22, 2021, 01:11:21 PM »
Kinda reminds me of when Marc Mero let Sabel powerbomb him and it ruined all his credibility  :P  But yeah, WWE is whack

Yeah.  Though I will say that I don't think credibility is their prime concern with this particular angle.  "I don't think Alexa Bliss got all of that... fireball..."  - A calm commentator, as if somebody had just botched the timing on a superkick, rather than trying to maim her opponent with literal magic.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2713 on: March 26, 2021, 05:31:55 PM »
So I'm browsing through pages, here and there, like I did and oddly enough, I was reading an Undertaker interview on Loudwire of all places and they mentioned the documentary, "The Last Ride," and there was a Youtube link of a 13 minute video that had parts of it and I thought, it was a good 13 minutes preview that showed the longevity that the Undertaker has gone through in the industry and one of the rare occasions you can see the Undertaker in a non-kayfabe appearance and him being more open about his career outside his American Bad Ass years.  Is it a good watch, by any chance?

On a side note, it's a little sad to see the guys you watched on and off for decades and you see them horribly aged when they were talking about Undertaker in today's age.  Vince, Shane, HBK, Bret, Mick Foley, etc.  Austin was the only talking head in that video where he doesn't looked as aged.  That Bald-headed and goatee look will stand the test of time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:41:35 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2714 on: March 26, 2021, 08:51:42 PM »
Somewhat along those lines, the WWE uploaded the Bret/Vince match from WM26 to YT.  It's cool that they are uploading tons of classic matches to watch for free on YT, but that match was so awful that it seems like a poor choice.  Bret, because of his injuries and the stroke, was a shell of himself, and legally could not take a bump, so that match was a farce.  I get having the match to have some kayfabe closure to the Montreal Screwjob, but should have left that match in the corner of their network and left it far away from YT.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: March 26, 2021, 09:11:13 PM »
Every time I see this thread bumped to the top, at a time when no one here seems interested in talking about wrestling, I fear some old time wrestler passed away.

I am a big Undertaker guy, but never got around to watching that.

I wasn't following wrestling throughout pretty much all of the 90s so did not experience Owen Hart's career and tragic end. I did recently listen to JR talk about Owen's death on his podcast (I've heard him talk about it on another occasion or two).  Then I listened to Lawler talk about it on another podcast, and I had never heard him speak about it at all. Man, to be in the literal front row for that horrific event. When they cut to them live when JR is told to give the word to the audience, just the look on Lawler's face is enough to give me shivvers. I read something poignant and profound in the YT comments (a rare event!), something to the effect of "Only Cronkite could tell us JFK was shot, only JR could tell us Owen was dead."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: March 27, 2021, 04:58:11 AM »
Every time I see this thread bumped to the top, at a time when no one here seems interested in talking about wrestling, I fear some old time wrestler passed away.

Yeah.... same

As for The Last Ride, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I don't have a Network subscription, but someone was uploading them at DailyMotion, so I watched it there.  Still seem to be all 5 chapters up there from various users.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2717 on: March 27, 2021, 07:07:56 AM »
Speaking of The Undertaker, he had the Tombstone, the Last Ride and Hell's Gate as prominent finisher.  Did any other wrestler ever have 3 prominent finishers?  Plenty of guys have had 2:

Cena: Attitude Adjustment and STF
Lesnar: F5 and Kimura Lock
Punk: GTS and Anaconda Vise
Rock: Peoples Elbow and Rock Bottom (latter was usually a precursor to the former, but was often used as a finisher as well)
Jericho: Walls of Jericho and Codebreaker
Bryan: Yes Lock and Running Knee (cannot recall if there is a more specific name for it when he does it)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2718 on: March 27, 2021, 09:31:08 AM »
Well, at the start of Jericho's WWE career, he used to do the Lionsault as a finisher, when he came back the first time in WWE, it was more of a signature move than a finisher and then he transitioned to doing the Codebreaker as a regular finish.

I think AJ Styles has three finishers?  Styles Clash, Calf Slicer, and his Phenomenal forearm (I honestly don't see why that's a finisher, but if WWE was pushing for it, so be it)?

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2719 on: March 27, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »
I believe DB's running knee was called the Knee Plus (from being referred to as a B+ talent).

Jericho also had the lionsault, and now he's got he Judas Kiss over in AEW.,
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2720 on: March 27, 2021, 10:54:46 AM »
I forgot that he used to use the Lionsalt as a finisher. 

Can Jericho even do that or the Codebreaker anymore?  Given the weight he put on the last few years, I can't see how. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: March 27, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
Can’t think of any off the top of my head - though surely there was someone. Angle and Sting also had 2 different finishers.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: March 27, 2021, 07:53:38 PM »
https://youtu.be/znE8a__mZQY?t=99

Undertaker tells Kane he'll be in the inducted in to the WWE Hall of Fame class of 2021. The equivalent of the David Baker knock I guess.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: March 28, 2021, 06:04:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/znE8a__mZQY?t=99

Undertaker tells Kane he'll be in the inducted in to the WWE Hall of Fame class of 2021. The equivalent of the David Baker knock I guess.

Yeah, I saw that.  I also saw the 'reveal' video for Bischoff.  Touching stuff.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2724 on: April 10, 2021, 03:34:26 PM »
Hooray Wrestlemania weekend. Watching some classic matches from prior WMs while I wait for a couple friends (we're all vaccinated) to get here and the beer to start flowing. First up was Hogan vs Rock at X8, now starting Flair's retirement match against Shawn Michaels.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2725 on: April 10, 2021, 03:52:31 PM »
So what's the deal, is Wrestlemania actually in a stadium again or is it going to be virtual.

I haven't paid attention to WWE in a good long time.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2726 on: April 10, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »
They're doing it in a stadium, the first time they're in front of a live crowd in a little over a year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2727 on: April 10, 2021, 04:16:15 PM »
Same stadium in Tampa that the Super Bowl was at.  I presume regular safety rules still applies at WM as it was at the Super Bowl (limited capacity, but people can attend).

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2728 on: April 10, 2021, 04:31:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that's going to be the case.

Hooray Wrestlemania weekend. Watching some classic matches from prior WMs while I wait for a couple friends (we're all vaccinated) to get here and the beer to start flowing. First up was Hogan vs Rock at X8, now starting Flair's retirement match against Shawn Michaels.

Shawn Michaels mouthing "I'm sorry. I love you" at the end of that Flair match gets me every time
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: April 10, 2021, 06:10:29 PM »
Shawn Michaels mouthing "I'm sorry. I love you" at the end of that Flair match gets me every time

Man that is one thing WWE (and every YT channel devoted to wrestling) loves to look back on, but it is sure worth it.