Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 205937 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2590 on: June 29, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »
Maybe if I get a kick for it.  I used to own so many wrestling DVDs because I loved rewatching my favorite matches or to see (back before streaming) matches I wasn't able to see at the time.  But these days, I don't have any desire to watch a match, even the classics.  It's just not terribly interesting to me at this point in my life.  Part of me feels like I may have burnt myself out of it by being so obsessed during my high school years. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2591 on: June 29, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »
cramx3, that is a good point about how Undertaker never really had a great match unless there was some type of stipulation or gimmick (title match, Hell in a Cell, streak on the line, etc.).  I remember a match on Prime Time in 1989 between Bret Hart and Curt Hennig (that I have mentioned before).  Neither was a champion, no gimmick or stipulation; just two guys having an awesome match.  You never really got that from Undertaker.  Granted, it is not fair to compare him to Hart and Hennig, who were two of the best ever at getting a good match out of almost anyone.  Heck, just watch the first Undertaker appearance at Survivor Series 1990.  Every time he is in the ring, it is boring as hell. And then at the end, Bret Hart and Ted DiBiase put on a wrestling clinic to finish it off (with DiBiase, the hell, winning cleanly).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: June 30, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »
I wouldn't say we "never got an awesome match" from Undertaker, with our without any stipulations. We just got a different kind of awesome match than someone like Hart, Hennig, DiBiase, or other ring technicians gave us.

Also note, for Wrestlemania 25 (I mean, the 25th Anniversary of Wrestlemania! :facepalm:) he and Michaels were both 44, the same age I am now. If I run with my kids for too long at the playground I am feeling it the next day. To do what they did speaks to their talent, ability, and dedication. They told a story, and they did it the best they could as their bodies would allow.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2593 on: July 19, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »
Recently I've been getting back into wrestling, watched some AWE which was rather fun, but most of the things I've been watching is the podcasts and interviews and I find that much more interesting with all the backstage stuff, especially during the 90s where there was no way to know what's happening behind the scenes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2594 on: July 19, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »
The podcasts and shoot interviews are some of my favorite stuff. The real life drama is fascinating and adds a whole new level to wrestling.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2595 on: August 05, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2596 on: August 05, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
Dear lord.  What the hell was he flappin his gums (or more accurately, finger-tips) like that for?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2597 on: August 05, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
So......Marty Jannetty may have have killed a guy.....

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/05/marty-jannetty-apparent-murder-confession-columbus-police-department/

The scary part of that is the line “That was the very first time I made a guy disappear”... FIRST TIME?!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: August 05, 2020, 02:33:28 PM »

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/05/marty-jannetty-apparent-murder-confession-columbus-police-department/

It's all the result of the Barber Shop head injury...........Rockers late 80s early 90s kick ass  :metal :metal :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: August 05, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »

The scary part of that is the line “That was the very first time I made a guy disappear”... FIRST TIME?!

Rite!?!?!  :lolpalm:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2600 on: August 05, 2020, 10:19:06 PM »
He aint the only one

Scott hall killed a guy, Super fly probably killed a chick, Benoit murdered his family. Still wild though
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:30:33 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: August 05, 2020, 10:38:09 PM »
Triple H killed several guys in the mid-2000s (well, their careers, anyway...)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2602 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »

It's all the result of the Barber Shop head injury...........Rockers late 80s early 90s kick ass  :metal :metal :metal

Well that's Jannetty's fault for trying to escape through the barbershop window.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: August 06, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
Well that's Jannetty's fault for trying to escape through the barbershop window.

WILL YOU STOP!

The clip of Heenan saying goodbye to Monsoon will never cease to make me happy and sad at the same time; happy that two men could bring such joy to each other's lives, sad knowing that joy cannot last forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf87iR-7w4

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: September 05, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/exclusive-vince-mcmahon-threatens-to-punish-talent-engaging-674408/

Vince McMahon issued an edict this past week that talent can no longer "engage with outside third parties," which would presumably include platforms like Cameo and Twitch.

WWE held a call with talent last Sunday regarding the reinvention of the product. During the call, it was said that WWE owns the real names of talent, not just their character names.

McMahon followed up by sending a letter on Thursday. McMahon wrote that it was imperative that they promote and protect the brand in every conceivable way, and that talent have 30 days to stop engaging with third parties.

"Some of you are engaged with outside third parties using your name and likeness in ways that are detrimental to our company," McMahon wrote. "It is imperative that these activities be terminated within the next 30 days (by Friday October 2). Continued violations will result in fines, suspension, or termination at WWE's discretion."

Really??  Vince has taken his professional selfishness to a new level.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: September 05, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/exclusive-vince-mcmahon-threatens-to-punish-talent-engaging-674408/

Vince McMahon issued an edict this past week that talent can no longer "engage with outside third parties," which would presumably include platforms like Cameo and Twitch.

WWE held a call with talent last Sunday regarding the reinvention of the product. During the call, it was said that WWE owns the real names of talent, not just their character names.

McMahon followed up by sending a letter on Thursday. McMahon wrote that it was imperative that they promote and protect the brand in every conceivable way, and that talent have 30 days to stop engaging with third parties.

"Some of you are engaged with outside third parties using your name and likeness in ways that are detrimental to our company," McMahon wrote. "It is imperative that these activities be terminated within the next 30 days (by Friday October 2). Continued violations will result in fines, suspension, or termination at WWE's discretion."

Really??  Vince has taken his professional selfishness to a new level.

If they were going on twitch as their WWE character, I could maybe see the issue.  But being yourself? GTFO

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2606 on: September 05, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
You know, and this may not have been true, I feel like a long long time ago, back in the early 10s, Jericho may have ran into this issue, especially when it comes to his band, Fozzy or any other endeavors Jericho was doing at the time.  Where WWE wants total control of everything their contracted wrestlers were doing in or outside of the company.  If I'm any wrestler that's engaging in these activities, with the pandemic still going on, I either try to leverage something to make wrestling in a bubble more worthwhile for them or pretty much walk out on their candy asses or just say to Vince, "Fine, do it.  Terminate my contract.  I'll see if AEW or otherwise may have something for me."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: September 05, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
I'm sure this will upset a lot of wrestlers.  Considering their paychecks have likely been a lot smaller the last six months due to no live shows/less merchandise sold, platforms like cameo have probably brought in extra income.  Now that's being taken away?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: September 05, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
It's total arrogant bullshit is what it is.  The talent aren't even employees of the corporation - they're independent contractors ... with no benefits, insurance (injury or health), retirement etc.  For Vince to think he has the leverage to do this is crazy - especially for the top talent - he is insane.  You think Sheamus is going to abandon the Celtic Warrior Workout channel/brand he's built?  I suspect Vince will get a big Stone Cold double FU from a lot of the talent, and either walk, or call him on this.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 02:54:29 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2609 on: September 05, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
Ventura had the right idea back in the 80's. They should have unionized.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: September 05, 2020, 03:20:39 PM »

Speaking of Ventura.  I watch a lot of 80's and early 90's wrestling, and Ventura is such an outstanding color man.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2611 on: September 05, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
This is the thing that makes me officially stop watching WWE. I’ll tune back in once Vince is dead and can’t mistreat his talent anymore.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2612 on: September 05, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »
From what I hear, Steph treats people like crap too so this tradition could be going on long after Vince is gone.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: September 05, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »

I don't know the history, and don't even care at this point, but I thought they explored it and were prohibited from doing so.

From what I hear, Steph treats people like crap too so this tradition could be going on long after Vince is gone.

I thought that was more an issue with creative than with talent. HHH is still in charge of talent (I think...?) and being from that side of the business will hopefully treat the wrestlers sports entertainers respectfully (even if he didn't always when he was one of the boys).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: September 05, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
The product has been shit for ages... as demonstrated by the repeated need to bring back aging superstars all the time - Sting, Goldberg, Lesnar, Taker (though, that's as much of his own making), HHH, HBK.  Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if Bret Hart had a comeback match at some point.  There will always be athletes with athletic talent, so it ain't the in-ring skills that is the problem.  The rest of the product is what honks on bobo.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2615 on: September 05, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »

I don't know the history, and don't even care at this point, but I thought they explored it and were prohibited from doing so.

As Jesse was starting to organize talent to form a union, Hogan ran to Vince and ratted them all out and essentially it was squashed before it could even get off the ground.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: September 10, 2020, 08:29:15 PM »
Just been rewatching Wrestlemania 3, 4 and 5.

WM3 might not be the best show ever, but it is without question the biggest wrestling show in history.  I paused the audience a few times; not sure if it was actually 93,000, but no question it was an insane amount of people.   Seriously Savage/Steamboat is the tops when it comes to wrestling  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal.   And Hogan/Andre is a must watch just for a history standpoint.

WM4&5.....might not get the best reviews, but overall I enjoyed them both.  A bit too long, but the two shows portrayed the best storyline in wrestling history......The Mega Powers explode.

If you have time, watch WM6 (Canada  :metal) which includes one of my top two all time favorite matches....Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior.   This is the match that overachieved more than any match in the history of pro wrestling but I really enjoy.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:39:07 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: September 10, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
But I will emphasize the amazing match up one more time between Savage and Steamboat at WM3.  Outstanding when it comes to pro wrestling.  I just watch this match in awe.  I've watched probably 100,000 pro wrestling matches and this one is mind boggling.

If a match can get a six star rating....Steamboat/Savage WM3. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:37:15 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: September 10, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »
I do not know why, but I always thought a match like Steamboat/Savage at WM3 ending on a small package slightly lessons the majesty that match trulywas. It's like the Diamondbacks winning in '01 on a bloop single. Yeah, it was an amazing, memorable series. But how much more awesome would it be ending on something like Joe Carter's HR in '93? 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: September 10, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
I do not know why, but I always thought a match like Steamboat/Savage at WM3 ending on a small package slightly lessons the majesty that match trulywas. It's like the Diamondbacks winning in '01 on a bloop single. Yeah, it was an amazing, memorable series. But how much more awesome would it be ending on something like Joe Carter's HR in '93?

The match is perfect IMO.  I just watched it for the countless time tonight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: September 10, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
And continuing with Wrestlemania 3 until the end.......Hogan vs Andre will never be considered the greatest match of all time, but watching it for the ?????? time tonight.............I really don't think you can tell me a bigger match than this one.  Obviously not the best match ever,  but if you can tell me a bigger/more famous match in the history of pro wrestling than this one, I would like to know.  And when it's all said and done, this was still a really entertaining match overalll.  Andre was never able to perform like this after this match but he put it all on the line with this match. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: September 11, 2020, 05:14:23 AM »
Hogan/Warrior is the only one I can think of that might come close to being as-big (but certainly not bigger).  The first time 2 faces headlined a major PPV, as well as the IC vs World Champ.

If Hogan/Flair had ever happened in the 80s, that might've been it.  But by the time they finally did go 1:1, I think the WWF blew the promotion of it.  And honestly, I just never felt that WWF-Natch carried the same gravitas as NWA/WCW-Natch

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: September 11, 2020, 05:18:32 AM »
Hogan/Warrior is the only one I can think of that might come close to being as-big (but certainly not bigger).  The first time 2 faces headlined a major PPV, as well as the IC vs World Champ.

If Hogan/Flair had ever happened in the 80s, that might've been it.  But by the time they finally did go 1:1, I think the WWF blew the promotion of it.  And honestly, I just never felt that WWF-Natch carried the same gravitas as NWA/WCW-Natch

No he was never even close, you’re right. Well maybe after the show in the bar he was lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2623 on: September 11, 2020, 06:00:09 AM »
I will always hve fond memories of Wrestlemania 4 because when I was a kid (early-mid 90s) we had a random blank VHS tape with Wrestlemania 4 on it and I watched it countless times. What a great announce team Gorilla and Jesse Ventura were.

And it wasn't quite the cultural milestone of Hulk vs Andre, but Hulk vs Rock was pretty crazy too.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: September 11, 2020, 06:53:21 AM »
The atmosphere in Toronto for Hogan/Rock might be near the top for any match in history. It seemed like both men were legitimately taken aback by it.