Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 204990 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2275 on: February 26, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
Solid PPV. Only thing I wasn't really into was Matt Hardy Vs Bray Wyatt.

I personally really liked the contract signing and think putting her in a tag match first is a good idea.

A tag match is the best option, because she's too green to put on a 1v1 match that lives up to the hype, and this way you can rely on the hot tag and need less work to get the crowd into it. And it makes sense to actually justify that worthless waste of time from WM31.

The only bit I hate is that Kurt Angle is going to be stuck in a tag match with HHH instead of getting to have a good match with a younger competitor.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2276 on: February 26, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
They could just not be sure enough of Angles health to give him a full 1 on 1 match. I mean the man has a LONG history of neck issues. After what happened with Sting I wouldn't be surprised if they are hesitant about it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2277 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
Why in the hell am I seeing WWE coverage on ESPN.com? Better question, why I am getting my sports news from ESPN.com?

Also, why am I seeing bit and pieces about a Cena v. Undertaker match at WM34.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2278 on: February 26, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
Why in the hell am I seeing WWE coverage on ESPN.com? Better question, why I am getting my sports news from ESPN.com?

Also, why am I seeing bit and pieces about a Cena v. Undertaker match at WM34.

I think ESPN and WWE have some sort of deal for coverage.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: February 26, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
I know that, I was being facetious, as I am old school and don't see it enough as "sports entertainment" worthy of coverage on a "sports" news outlet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2280 on: February 26, 2018, 03:17:22 PM »
Angle is garbage on the mic now, but image that segment with him in his prime.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2281 on: February 28, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »
Here's HHH sneaking a pic of rousey, lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2282 on: February 28, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
If sneaky HHH taking a photo isn't a meme already, it's a missed opportunity.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: March 08, 2018, 04:51:49 AM »
Well I'm certainly more excited about this than anything at WrestleMania!

NXT will award a brand-new title at TakeOver: New Orleans on April 7 when it unveils the NXT North American Championship, WWE announced Wednesday.

A six-man ladder match will determine the champion, with EC3, Ricochet, Adam Cole, Killian Dain, Lars Sullivan and Velveteen Dream competing.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763211-nxt-to-debut-north-american-championship-at-takeover-new-orleans

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2284 on: March 08, 2018, 05:00:08 AM »
I don't know most of these guys yet (been a while since I've caught one of the shows), but you had me at NXT, ladder, and Ricochet. :metal

Definitely sounds better than anything they've got finalized for Wrestlemania. I can't even remember the last time a Wrestlemania card excited me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: March 08, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things about Ricochet.  Interested to see him in action.

Velveteen Dream has really won me over and his character is excellent.  The character probably just needs a little bit more refining and he will be ready for the main roster, maybe around summer time.  Dream is my pick to win the new championship at NXT.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2286 on: March 08, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things about Ricochet.  Interested to see him in action.

He was awesome in Lucha Underground as Prince Puma. I was lucky enough to see him wrestle live a few months ago at a local club in front of a few hundred people. Glad I got to see that!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2287 on: March 08, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
That ladder match should be dope AF. Really don't understand having Authors of Pain knock out TM61 in the first round of the Dusty Classic. AoP needs to start wrecking shit on the main roster ASAP, and TM61 just got a couple video packages and victories for their return.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2288 on: March 12, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
So a cowboy, a hillbilly, a redneck walk in to the WWE Hall of Fame....

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: March 12, 2018, 11:14:48 PM »
I know it would kinda ruin the Raw tag team division, but man, I have to admit, part of me really wants Braun Strowman to be tag team champions by himself.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: March 12, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
I know it would kinda ruin the Raw tag team division, but man, I have to admit, part of me really wants Braun Strowman to be tag team champions by himself.

For an idea that's just scrapped together last minute because they couldn't come up with a decent 1v1, I think the thought of Braun Strowman single handedly winning the tag titles is fresh and pretty cool, and I'd love to see it.
While it might not be great for the tag division, the tag division on both shows is pretty dire anyway, and they've worn out the combinations of the few great tag teams they have. It's also an interesting way of making Strowman really strong and giving him a belt (well, two) without wasting potential future 1v1 matches against main event opponents, and makes tag matches interesting without needing particular good opponents.
I prefer this to the other ideas they had for him, including being tacked into other matches as an afterthought.

Besides the god awful "main events" of Lesnar putting over Reigns, and HHH and a McMahon wasting the better part of an hour (and whatever wrestler is stuck making Shane look competitive), the rest of the card isn't shaping up too badly at the moment.
While I'm very apprehensive about Undertaker coming back and looking worn out and hurting himself, I'd kinda like to see him manage one more match so that shit show with Reigns isn't his last, and Cena is perhaps the best opponent for him to put on a good match. And it's been a while since Cena has had a fittingly big WM match.
Charlotte vs Asuka will kick ass. The other women's title match will probably be good too. Styles vs Nakamura is a given (seen it before, know it will rock). The IC title match should be great. Strowman and the Bar should manage a great one too.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2291 on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »
Well lots of people are understandably not happy about the Moolah battle royal. I know WWE can be tonedeaf at times but did they really think that naming the match after her would go over well.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: March 13, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
Well lots of people are understandably not happy about the Moolah battle royal. I know WWE can be tonedeaf at times but did they really think that naming the match after her would go over well.

The basic idea is just like the Andre battle royal, and how many recognizable classic female stars are there to choose from besides Moolah and Mae Young?

I get why they're doing it, for the same reason they have the male one, but I hate that they have this fallback of a generic battle royal to dump all of the talented performers who should be getting real matches. Maybe cut back on wasting so much time for HHH and Shane to inflate their egos, and you could literally free up an hour to an hour and a half of space to actually build up more stars with eventful WM matches.
And I also hate how many of their female wrestlers get wasted in meaningless multi-person matches. If you want a real women's revolution, how about a one on one match at a PPV that doesn't need to be for a belt? Crazy thought.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Huh, I never knew that about Moolah, and I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about WWE and its history.

My kid watches a couple shows on Nick, and they are pimping Cena hosting the Kid's Choice Awards hard. Regarding him taking on Taker, I don't like this at all. I am a huge Taker mark (obviously), and there is no upside for this to me. Of course it might help rinse the palate from that Reigns match from last year, but he still needs to lose if this his is last match(?), which would be two consecutive WM losses, this one to the last person in WWE history who needs a push, which makes it even more unnecessary.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2294 on: March 13, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

The basic idea is just like the Andre battle royal, and how many recognizable classic female stars are there to choose from besides Moolah and Mae Young?

I get why they're doing it, for the same reason they have the male one, but I hate that they have this fallback of a generic battle royal to dump all of the talented performers who should be getting real matches. Maybe cut back on wasting so much time for HHH and Shane to inflate their egos, and you could literally free up an hour to an hour and a half of space to actually build up more stars with eventful WM matches.
And I also hate how many of their female wrestlers get wasted in meaningless multi-person matches. If you want a real women's revolution, how about a one on one match at a PPV that doesn't need to be for a belt? Crazy thought.

I have no problem with the concept. In fact I like it, and I am hoping for Nikki Cross to win it.

My problem is the name. The fabulous moolah has been accused of absolutely horrible things over the years.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
I have no problem with the concept. In fact I like it, and I am hoping for Nikki Cross to win it.

My problem is the name. The fabulous moolah has been accused of absolutely horrible things over the years.

Oh, I was unaware of that. Stupid me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2296 on: March 13, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »

Yeah you'd think with all the sexual harassment claims coming to light recently you'd think WWE wouldn't name something after somebody accused of pimping her students out for money among other things.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2297 on: March 13, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »

Yeah you'd think with all the sexual harassment claims coming to light recently you'd think WWE wouldn't name something after somebody accused of pimping her students out for money among other things.

wait what?  I had no idea Moolah was involved in such things either

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2298 on: March 13, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »

wait what?  I had no idea Moolah was involved in such things either

Yep a simple google search brings up some terrifying stuff.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: March 13, 2018, 06:14:58 PM »
Was it ever anything more than accusations?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2300 on: March 14, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »
Was it ever anything more than accusations?

Not that I can see from my simple google search.  However, that seems similar to a Harvey Weinstein type of situation.  I bet there was a lot more of this type of behavior back in those days.  I'm not sure I'd want to use her name for anything anymore even if there's no proof.  It's just bad press in this climate of today.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2301 on: March 15, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
Well lots of fans were angry about the name and more importantly WWE's sponsors were not happy. So now they've taken Moolah's name off of the battle royal.

So I guess people can thank Snickers for that.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2302 on: March 15, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »
I'm just upset that more divashit is taking up time on the WM card. 2 title matches, the Rousy shit and now the rumble. Who needs to piss that much?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2303 on: March 15, 2018, 10:05:48 PM »
I'm just upset that more divashit is taking up time on the WM card. 2 title matches, the Rousy shit and now the rumble. Who needs to piss that much?

I usually like the women's matches much more than most of the men's matches so the more the merrier in my eyes
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2304 on: March 16, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »

Honestly I enjoy the women’s matches more than half of the men’s matches lately. The Four Horsewomen, Asuka, Mickie James, Naomi, Alicia Fox, and Ruby Riott are among the most technically gifted wrestlers on the main roster.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:49:58 PM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2305 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »

I'd agree with this if it was a few years ago, but the botchy cringefest that was the Diva Division is long gone. The women still aren't as fluid as the men, but I can actually watch women's matches now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: March 16, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
The women's title match at WM32 stole the show, easily. Charlotte vs Asuka will definitely be one of the better matches this year, although it's got some competition this time. Definitely wouldn't want to skip it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: March 17, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »
Wrestlemania is going to be at Metlife next year, I might have to see if I can get my ass in the stadium for that.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2308 on: March 20, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »
So, Daniel Bryan has been cleared to return to in ring activity. YES! YES! YES! YES!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2309 on: March 20, 2018, 01:41:13 PM »
I'm assuming the first choice is to have Daniel Bryan team with Shane against Kevin/Sami.  But depending on how long AJ is out, Bryan might be the back up for that match.  Will be interesting regardless.