Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 206659 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2135 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »
The women's ladder match on Smackdown was pretty good, and I think it was a smart decision to have Carmella win at the end.

But I find with all ladder matches, men or women, that one thing annoys me a bit.  The wrestlers go all out, yet when it comes time to climb the ladder, they climb painfully slow up the ladder.  It's actually quite ridiculous and it just might be that they haven't timed the sequences properly and are buying time.  But it just looks so unrealistic considering that within a storyline context, getting this contract will potentially get them championships and more money.  They should be flying up this ladder by all accounts.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2136 on: June 28, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »
^^ I guess you can argue the fact that these guys are so damn exhausted from the bumps they are taking that they can justify the "slow" climbing.  Listen, unless your legs were worked hard in the match or your arm was busted to the point where you can't climb with your hands or you are afraid of heights, there's no need for the "slow" climb.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2137 on: June 28, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
Anyone who was disappointed in the lack of spots in the Womens MITB matches should check out the Asuka vs Nikki Cross last woman standing match from tonights NXT.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
Anyone who was disappointed in the lack of spots in the Womens MITB matches should check out the Asuka vs Nikki Cross last woman standing match from tonights NXT.

One of the most entertaining women's matches I've ever seen!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2139 on: June 29, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
Managed to watch everything besides that match last night. Looking forward to it tonight.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2140 on: July 01, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
https://www.wrestlezone.com/news/855333-tna-wrestling-to-rebrand-as-gfw-jeff-jarrett-and-ed-nordholm-comment

Well the day has finally come. The TNA/Impact Wrestling brand as we know it has died. What could have been legitimate competition to the WWE with guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Bobby Roode mixed with former WWE stars like Jeff Hardy, RVD, and Rhyno became a joke, and in the end, management drove away superstars who could have brought them back to prominence like the Hardys and all of the TNA originals. While technically it's being rebranded and not shut down, to think that we won't be able to watch "TNA Impact" anymore is a shame and we'll only be left asking "what if?".
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2141 on: July 01, 2017, 08:12:05 AM »
No more tits n ass wrestling. Sounds like a win for people that want to watch wrestling besides WWE that aren't teenagers.

I may finally watch now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2142 on: July 01, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
New name, same old smell.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: July 01, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
The one thing with TNA that has caused me to rarely watch it, is the six sided ring.  For whatever reason, that ring just changes the perception of pro wrestling for me and I really don't enjoy it.  I know they took it away for awhile becaue Hogan told them to change it, but they returned back to it when he left I think.  I would be interested to see what changes the new brand does, if any.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2144 on: July 01, 2017, 09:49:22 AM »
I am curious to see what JJ can do in charge without Russo on board, but man he must be an amazing negotiator. I guess if your company can't get a TV deal just take over one that does.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: July 01, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »
I wonder if that was Jarrett's plan all along

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2146 on: July 01, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
I wonder if that was Jarrett's plan all along

If it was he's either far more cunning that I've ever thought he was or the heads of Anthem are just a bunch of gullible idiots.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: July 01, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
He might have known that TNA was crumbling and by starting his own organization, he saw a future oppurtunity to take over TNA with his company.  Who knows what his initial plan was, but I really think GFW needs a major overhaul.  From the look to the entrance and set up.  And for me, obviously the ring is number one if I'm going to watch it ever.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: July 06, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
Great NXT title match last night between Roode and Strong!

Roode is the man!!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2149 on: July 06, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
Yeah, really enjoyed that match as well. Only minor nitpick was how far Roode had to go to position himself close to the ropes for that false three count. Made it really obvious what was about to happen.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2150 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
Yeah, really enjoyed that match as well. Only minor nitpick was how far Roode had to go to position himself close to the ropes for that false three count. Made it really obvious what was about to happen.

Typical wrestling. It's like when the recipient positions themself to take a top rope move, ie a frog splash.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2151 on: July 07, 2017, 05:52:58 AM »

Typical wrestling. It's like when the recipient positions themself to take a top rope move, ie a frog splash.

Or when they do something unnatural when about to take a move off the top rope.  3:30-ish of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPZEonvZUY&t=75s

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2152 on: July 07, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »
So today was a strange day in WWE. Austin Aries gets released, it's announced that Dixie Carter will appear on the WWE Network for the Kurt Angle special, and AJ Styles wins the U.S. title at a live event in MSG.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2153 on: July 07, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
Pretty busy for a Friday before a PPV. Not crazy about Owens losing the title.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2154 on: July 08, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
Pretty busy for a Friday before a PPV. Not crazy about Owens losing the title.

If he lost it to anyone besides the best wrestler on the planet I would be mad. They probably did this because they want to extend the feud for a little longer.

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: July 08, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
I'm a fan of WWE once in a blue moon changing titles on house shows.  This was at MSG, so a bigger house show, but it just makes things more realistic to have a title change at small shows every so often.

I'm surprised at the Aries release.  But the cruiserweight division needs an overhaul as it's clearly not working as is.  Last summer, I looked forward to the cw tournament and I think alot of it came down to having the matches in the intimate environment.  I think what WWE needs to do is have 205 filmed with NXT at Full Sail Universtiy (with Mauro as the announcer) and then have those shows aired back to back.  And the purple ropes need to go; that's the sign for piss break time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2156 on: July 08, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
Usually title changes at house shows change back the next night on a show or PPV.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2157 on: July 09, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
This ended up being the best PPV of the year besides Mania. Every match delivered in some way, with extra props going to the ironman match, the women's match, and the ambulance match. Still a ridiculous name, but the show lived up to the stacked card that it had.

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: July 10, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
I really enjoyed the PPV as well.  The main event was just what I was hopping for; a straight up brawl that made Joe look very strong in defeat.  Awesome main event.

And the ambulance match was just as entertaining and I hope this was a double turn for Reigns and Strowman.  If that wasn't the point, I really don't understand the rationale behind it then.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2159 on: July 18, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
It's amazing how much better Becky Lynch is when she's not forced to carry someone like Alexa Bliss or Carmella through a match. Her and Charlotte just had an amazing match with no storyline attached other than "hey we're both great wrestlers so let's have a match".

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: July 19, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »
I'm surprised they cancelled Talking Smack. I actually liked that show and I thought Rene and Daniel had fantastic chemistry together. Maybe the wrestlers complained about having to stick around later after the show. The unscripted aspect was quite enjoyable as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2161 on: July 19, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »
Or maybe Vince didn't like the unscripted aspect. :lol
And they need that kind of content for the network, and it would have been relatively cheap to produce.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: July 19, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »
Shane-O continues flirting with disaster, this time at least not of his own doing. Glad everyone is ok!

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/20104796/shane-mcmahon-helicopter-makes-ocean-landing
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2163 on: July 19, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
Shane-O continues flirting with disaster, this time at least not of his own doing. Glad everyone is ok!

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/20104796/shane-mcmahon-helicopter-makes-ocean-landing

Same, Shane has always come across as a nice guy.

Also Rusevs tweet about it was hilarious
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: July 19, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
In a business where people are generally not shy about saying what they really think about others, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about Shane. Nash called him something like "the chillest rich white motherfucker I've ever met."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2165 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
He just had to top the Cell spot...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2166 on: July 30, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Got to meet Ric Flair at the SuperCon here in Raleigh 2 weeks ago.  My brother even got his replica WCW belt signed, so that was cool.

Also saw Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, but he was lonely - no one in line to see him.  I considered going over out of mercy, but then decided against it lol.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2167 on: July 30, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Poor hammer

Good thing Virgil wasn't there, now that's one lonely ass guy

https://lonelyvirgil.net/

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2168 on: July 30, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
Poor hammer

Good thing Virgil wasn't there, now that's one lonely ass guy

https://lonelyvirgil.net/

Virgil's all about that fuck money.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: August 12, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »
This fatal four way next weekend at Summerslam has all the makings of being a classic.  I'm leaning towards Braun but I can really see any of the four winning.  You would think that Brock will lose the belt but I can see the swerve with him hanging on.  And if Jon Jones shows up, that will make things even more interesting.  Really excited for that one.

Speaking of Summerslam, I just recently watched the 94 edition.  I havent watched it since it was new, and watching the two main events was such a contrast.  The cage match between Brett and Owen was fantastic and as good of a cage match that you will see.  However, that Taker vs Taker match is almost unwatchable.  No wonder WWE has never mentioned that match again lol.