Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203736 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »
Ugh, Lesnar better squash him in 5 minutes. I'd like to have at least one show with a decent champ. Pretty average match too. WWE really doesn't know how to do multi-man matches well, and it was way too long for what it was.

The cage match stole the show, and the cruiserweight match was great too. I expected the cage match to be the best match of the night, because they're both good teams. I've always preferred cage matches to be escape only, and they put that stipulation to good use, with both teams constantly trying to get out.

Neither of the matches with the women were very good. That division has gone backwards. I'm excited for the money in the bank match though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2101 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
The mixed tag match was fun.

The women's title match just has me baffled. Why make one of the best wrestlers in the division look like a complete chump. I was fine with her losing (even though i adore her) but what was the point in making it so one sided.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2102 on: June 05, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
Not sure what they are doing with Bayley, but it's not working.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
Not sure what they are doing with Bayley, but it's not working.

You could swap out Bayley's name with almost anyone on the roster, and that statement would probably hold true. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: June 05, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
yeah no kidding lol

I will say that Alexa Bliss is doing an excellent job with her gimmick.  She has the snotty too good for you attitude and demeanor down perfectly

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2105 on: June 18, 2017, 09:33:23 PM »
The first ever women's Money in the Bank match happened tonight, and the woman who won needed help from a man. What a slap in the face to the five extremely talented women who competed in this match. What should have been a monumental and historic moment was ruined by boneheaded and misogynistic booking. Such a shame.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2106 on: June 18, 2017, 10:51:44 PM »
The first ever women's Money in the Bank match happened tonight, and the woman who won needed help from a man. What a slap in the face to the five extremely talented women who competed in this match. What should have been a monumental and historic moment was ruined by boneheaded and misogynistic booking. Such a shame.

I thought it was fine.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: June 19, 2017, 06:29:30 AM »

Absolutely this. They hyped it up with that huge video package, then took a giant steaming dump all over it. First ever women's ladder match, and it was won by a man besting them all and tossing the briefcase to a girl. That booking was insulting to the idea of progress. Women's wrestling has gone backwards and is no better off than it was before the NXT women moved to the main roster.

The entire PPV was crap, probably the weakest PPV in a long time. Definitely the most skippable. Worthless tag matches, an awful women's title match (what the hell is this crap gimmick with Lana? Is it 2002?), another forgettable title match, more screwy finishes and terrible booking.

And then to top it all off, they take Nakamura out of the ladder match before he even gets his entrance. Luckily he came back, but I tuned out of everything in between I was so salty by that point. :lol And they picked literally the worst person to win MITB. Why do they do these things? Do they actively hate us?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2108 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
I've been calling Corbin to win this for months. I'm happy he won. Hes the one that could use the win the most except for maybe sami.

Also i have no problem with ellsworth getting involved. I can see why people do but i thought it was a good heel move and I'm curious to see the storyline that spawns from it.

The usos vs new day match waa great and the ending will extend the feud which i have no issue with.

Lana was actually pretty decent. She clearly still needs some more work but she's already better than eva lol.

Overall i enjoyed the show and would give it a B
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:50:17 AM by ozzy554 »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2109 on: June 19, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
I think Lana showed some potential and will only get better.  I can totally see her getting the belt by the end of the year.

I thought it was a decent show overall, but nothing I would want to watch again.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2110 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:49 PM »
I thought it was a pretty poor PPV for the most part. Definitely on team "having a man win the women's MitB match was a terrible idea". The tag titles match was pretty good, only to cop out with a lame, weekly TV ending. Most of the rest of it was pretty forgettable, though I am trending towards Mike Bennet's theme being so bad it's good. They did the exact same finish with the Orton-Mahal rematch as when Jinder first won it. Main event MitB match was boss.

I think Brandon Stroud (who I enjoy reading a lot in general) summed up the issue with the women's ladder match pretty well.

"One of the arguments you’ll hear about why the finish of the women’s ladder match wasn’t bad is that it’s a classic heel move, done to make us mad on purpose. The idea is that Ellsworth and Carmella ruined an historic moment by exploiting a legal loophole. It’s no DQ, so why couldn’t you just get one of your friends to run up the ladder and pull it down for you, you know? And in a vacuum where nothing has consequence and WWE didn’t promote the match the way they did, it’s fine. It’s a reason to watch Smackdown. If this had happened in, say, the fourth or fifth women’s Money in the Bank ladder match in history, it’d be a different story.

It didn’t happen in a vacuum, though. And the match was promoted this way. The point — the entire point that they decided, not the fans, not me as an up-my-own-ass armchair blogger, they told us this — is that the women involved in the match are participating in history. This is a Big Deal®. It’s such a big deal that they play a three-minute “trailblazers” video package putting over their connection to Mae Young, Fabulous Moolah, Alundra Blayze, Trish Stratus and the rest after the entrances. The women in the match and the crowd are all standing there watching this video package about exactly why this is important to the women specifically. And then a dude wins and hands a woman a briefcase. He doesn’t even have to try. He just shoves Becky off the ladder and climbs to the top and wins. He even kinda shrugs and shows off the briefcase before he drops it. The very worst guy. The guy who can’t beat anybody ever. You could’ve had him take a huge bump for her or hold the ladder steady or hold one of her opponents or something. She could’ve still grabbed it herself and had some kind of agency."
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: June 19, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »
That sums it up perfectly. The finish itself could have worked fine in different circumstances, but these were absolutely not those circumstances.
The negative response wasn't heel heat, and it didn't make me hate the heels as intended. It only made me hate WWE for making a degrading and unbelievably blind booking decision that undermined everything they've tried (and failed) to do with the women's division for the past couple of years. Even if Elsworth had helped Carmella climb the ladder, it would have improved a lot (which they've done before). But everything about it just spat in the face of what they claim about women's wrestling in WWE. It was an insult to all of those hard working female wrestlers, Carmella included.
WWE seem to get confused about heat lately. The crowd booing doesn't always mean you're successfully getting a heel over, sometimes the crowd is just booing because you're doing a very shitty job of creating entertainment. See: Roman Reigns.

Oh, and Mike Bennett's theme is amazing. I had no fucking clue what that whole segment/gimmick/whatever was about though. As someone who doesn't keep up with the weekly shows at all, this segment along with most of the show had me yelling "What the hell is happening?" They were clearly padding for time, because they're spread far too thin with this brand split.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2112 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
God you people are so negative lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
We're only negative about things when they're bad, so it's WWE's fault really. :biggrin:

If you want to talk about something positive, Lucha Underground is back, and as amazing as ever. :hat

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2114 on: June 20, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
I didn't watch Raw last night but I did hear it was better than it has been lately. I also enjoyed this description of the Miz-Ambrose feud: "This week features another installment of a happily married couple suddenly at each other’s throats because of the constant life interference of a greasy Bugs Bunny in jeggings."
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: June 20, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
The only thing I've seen from Raw is Strowman returning and beating up Reigns, which was excellent. :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2116 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
Raw was a good show. They finally let bayley show some fire and kick some ass.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: June 20, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
The only thing I've seen from Raw is Strowman returning and beating up Reigns, which was excellent. :lol

Strowamn is over huge!  And I'm really getting a kick out of this feud with Reigns; the ambulance match should be pure entertainment.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2118 on: June 20, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Would Strowman be as over if Reigns was actually likable?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
God you people are so negative lol

Eh.  If you look around on the internet, I think you'll find that the women's MITB finish has been fairly controversial all around. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2120 on: June 21, 2017, 12:17:45 PM »
I'm gonna be going to my first wrestling event in years this saturday. I saw that an Evolve event was ridiculous close to my house so I bought a ticket. The Main event will be Zack Sabre jr. vs Matt Riddle which should be great.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2121 on: June 21, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »
If you want to talk about something positive, Lucha Underground is back, and as amazing as ever. :hat

If you also want to talk about something positive, NJPW has announced the participants of the G1 Climax round-robin tourney.  All the usual guys will be there.  Tanahashi, Okada, Naito, Omega, Ishii, Goto, Elgin, and many other great wrestlers and some pretty much not too great. 

The one guy I'm really hyped for being in the tourney is Kota Ibushi.  This guy has been on an interesting journey ever since he decided to be a freelancer wrestler back in early 2016.  Participated in the Cruiserweight Classic.  Has done many shows with his home promotion in DDT where he had some many weird things there (like things you would not expect in wrestling).  Has set himself ablaze with a roman candle in England.  Heck, rumor has it that he is Tiger Mask W in NJPW due to their similar styles and built.......  So look out, he's coming back to a NJPW ring and he will deliver and good lord almighty if he goes against Kenny Omega.

So yeah, G1 Climax is always a fantastic tournament filled with great matches, good active crowds, sometimes big crowds, help build future big matches down the line, and build solid drama and suspense when they come to the finishing stretches of the tourney.  It's like aside from Wrestle Kingdom, this is always the most hyped I am about wrestling nowadays.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: June 21, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »
Speaking of NJPW, I've downloaded the recent Omega/Okada rematch from Dominion, but I haven't watched it yet. I heard it's as good as the WK match, so I can't wait. I rarely end up seeing much NJPW outside of WK.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2123 on: June 22, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »
So Vince Russo has filed a restraining order against Jim Cornette which I find to be completely hilarious.

Also Mauro is going to be doing commentary for NXT which I think is fantastic. Hopefully his commentary will be as good as it was for the Cruiserweight classic without Vinny Mac constantly in his ear.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: June 23, 2017, 01:24:08 AM »
Also Mauro is going to be doing commentary for NXT which I think is fantastic. Hopefully his commentary will be as good as it was for the Cruiserweight classic without Vinny Mac constantly in his ear.

I'm glad he's back doing commentary in some capacity, and he'll be a great fit for NXT. It's a shame the commentary for Raw/Smackdown are both a complete waste of space though.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2125 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »

I'm glad he's back doing commentary in some capacity, and he'll be a great fit for NXT. It's a shame the commentary for Raw/Smackdown are both a complete waste of space though.

Yeah the main roster commentary just feels so controlled.  The best commentary jobs Michael Cole has done in years was the beast in the east and uk tournament specials. You know the ones he did away from Vince and had more freedom to work.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: June 23, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
I think Mauro is a perfect fit for NXT.  I've lost a bit of interest in NXT the last while, and forget to watch it sometimes.  But with Mauro back, I'll make sure to PVR it just for his commentary.  Hopefully this leads to him coming back to Raw or Smackdown, or doing the upcoming female tournament.

My main interest right now in NXT is Roode and Drew, and I think both will be mega stars on the main roster; hopefully sooner than later.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2127 on: June 23, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »
I think Mauro is a perfect fit for NXT.  I've lost a bit of interest in NXT the last while, and forget to watch it sometimes.  But with Mauro back, I'll make sure to PVR it just for his commentary.  Hopefully this leads to him coming back to Raw or Smackdown, or doing the upcoming female tournament.

My main interest right now in NXT is Roode and Drew, and I think both will be mega stars on the main roster; hopefully sooner than later.

I think Mauro will stay on NXT. The reduced schedule will work better for him since he also still calls boxing events and stuff. Also not having to be on the road for tv every week may be better for his mental health. I would love to hear him call the women's tournament though.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: June 26, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
I watched Beach Blast 92 on the network last night.  It's a good show with the Sting vs Cactus falls count anywhere match being a fantastic brawl.  Also, the Steamboat vs Rude Iron Man match was a back and forth classic with lots of drama.  The final match, Steiners vs Gordy/Williams was a stiff fight, but very good.  If you havent watched this show, its worth watching on the network if you have it.  But then again, I'm partial towards early 90s WCW and its cheese factor.  Halloween Havoc 91 and the Chamber of Horrors is the ultimate!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2129 on: June 27, 2017, 12:46:03 AM »
Sasha Banks is number one contender for Alexa Bliss' title! Thank the lord. When she was in the middle of the Rich Swann/Noam Dar/Alicia Fox program, I hoped it was just a holdover feud until Alexa was done with Bayley but feared it was the beginning of Sasha falling to the midcard. I'm glad my first thought was true. Sasha is arguably the top female superstar in the company (crowd reaction and merchandise sales would agree with me) and she deserves this. The promos between her and Bliss will be so good, with more sass than the world may be able to handle. And if any wrestler on the Raw roster can bring an amazing match out of Bliss, it's Banks. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks and hope it turns into a full fledged feud and isn't just a one off.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:19 AM »
The female gauntlet match was very good; I was actually quite impressed with Jax. But Banks deserved the win and Bliss and herself should have a good match at GBOF.

I'm not sure what to make of the Lavar/Lonzo Ball segment. I found it funny at least.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2131 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:28 AM »
The only thing that felt weird was this big celebration after Sasha won, like she accomplished something, when her opponent was on her fifth consecutive match :lol I mean it's a tough spot, because if you have Sasha run the table and Nia comes in at the end then you don't get to establish Nia's dominance.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: June 27, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
I didn't notice it when watching, but one of the Ball guys used a racial slur on Raw and that's the reason they weren't at ring side for the six man match. Or Vince was worried that they may do something else that would cause issues. They also sent Dean Ambrose out early just to put a stop to things. Regardless it was a strange segment and I don't expect to ever see the Ball family in WWE again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2133 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »
Vince is a sexist big mouth.

Lavar Ball is a sexist big mouth.

Seems meant to be. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: June 27, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
In this instance it wasn't Lavar. But yes, those two take self-promotion to unheard of heights.

Regardless, I can see one slur slipping through, but that second one makes it look like Kevin Dunn was asleep in the truck.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'