Jersey Mikes
4 (11.1%)
Potbellys
1 (2.8%)
Charleys
0 (0%)
Jimmy John's
5 (13.9%)
Other (or specify in comments and I will add to poll)
12 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Sandwich Shops  (Read 3192 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Sandwich Shops
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
Take your pick.

(bonus question: Do you tip?)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Sandwich Shops
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »
Local shop: P'sghetti's.  Their sweet bread is heavenly.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
Went with "Other" because Jimmy Johns

Then Jersey Mike's, then Subway

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
Added ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
"Other."  Fast food sandwich chains are mostly horrible, IMO.  There is a local deli here called Pennisi's that is out of this world.  But my favorite at the moment has to be the guys at Wicked 'Wich:  https://www.wichonwheels.com/#

Want to know what happens when a Polish and Chinese guy get onto a food truck? Wicked 'Wich is the answer! The food truck hit the streets of Sacramento in 2011, introducing the city to a style of sandwiches that pay tribute to East Coast roots.

Since its inception, Wicked 'Wich has always focused on scratch cooking and using locally sourced products from various farmers, bakers and more from our region. In a world of frozen fries and prepackaged products that most restaurants use, we've chosen to stick to our old-fashioned values and cook like our moms taught us- no shortcuts!

There has certainly been no "rest for the wicked," as in 2012, we expanded into a dive-bar concept at our first brick and mortar location in West Sacramento- Broderick Roadhouse. Shortly after, during the summer of 2013, the Wicked 'Wich landed at the Sacramento Downtown Plaza's food court.

Favorite sandwich there:  the Hillbilly Chomp.  Two thick slices of their homemade bread toasted on the grill with a huge pile of pulled pork, crispy thick cut applewood bacon, homemade BBQ sauce, slaw, and crispy garlic fries.  Yeah, the fries are in the sandwich.  It's a heart attack on bread, but oh so delicious!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

Favorite sandwich there:  the Hillbilly Chomp.  Two thick slices of their homemade bread toasted on the grill with a huge pile of pulled pork, crispy thick cut applewood bacon, homemade BBQ sauce, slaw, and crispy garlic fries.  Yeah, the fries are in the sandwich.  It's a heart attack on bread, but oh so delicious!

See ya at the ER. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »

See ya at the ER. :biggrin:

I'll be easy to find.  I'll be the one grinning ear-to-ear with BBQ sauce on my face and all the nurses running toward me with defibrulators.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
We got an up and coming chain around here called Ike's Place. They do some insane things, and all the ingredients are top notch.

They put fried mozzarella sticks on their meatball sandwich.......  :o

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
We got an up and coming chain around here called Ike's Place. They do some insane things, and all the ingredients are top notch.

They put fried mozzarella sticks on their meatball sandwich.......  :o

Sounds good.  Next time I'm down there, I'll try to check that out.  But when you are up here, there are two things you have to try to hit:  (1) the classic burger at Dad's Kitchen (the original location--there was a split, and a couple of other locations that use the name put out sub-par food), and (2) the sandwich I mention above.  Lunch will be on me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of chips (potato chips for our limey friends) so I tend to frequent places that'll serve up a cup of soup with their sandwiches. Potbelly's will do in a pinch (the enchilada soup is pretty damned tasty) and the Wreck is a nice sandwich, and though it's over priced I'm fond of Baker Bros (must be a regional thing since it's not on the list, along with Jason's Deli). That said, La Madelaine will serve up a freshly prepared croque monsieur with a cup of hand made potato-leek soup (hot) and a salad (spinach or Caesar) for 10 bucks. Best sandwich deal in Dallas.

Truth be told, though, we're really lacking for original sandwiches down here. When I was in Phili for TA I made a point to eat some damn tasty sandwiches (none of that cheesesteak nonsense). I like a people who put coleslaw on sandwiches.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
Gaetano's = legendary!
https://www.gaetanosdeli.com/
 :metal
Chino, its in Stratford or Monroe! Worth the trip for the best subs ever!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
I Live in NY. There's a million Deli's that I can go to that destroy those sandwich shops. Same with Pizza. Why Domino's and Pizza Hut are here I have no idea...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »
Publix for a cold sub, firehouse for a hot sub, quiznos is good too but they have for the most part closed down. There is a gas station on not too far but it's not really that good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »
They make subs at Publix?  Didn't know that.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 02:50:36 PM »
At one time, I would have said Quizno's, but they've since taken all of my favorite things off the menu.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
At one time, I would have said Quizno's, but they've since taken all of my favorite things off the menu.

Same here.  Once they stopped selling 20-year-old super models, I was done.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
From that list, Jimmy John's. There's a local place relatively nearby called DiBella's that's incredible, though.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery. Their sandwich called The Godmother is pretty damn good.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
I'm a sucker for a good bread with my sandwiches, so I'm always on the lookout for places that utilize good breads with their sandwiches. Tartine in SF, Sullivan Street Bakery in NY, places that have Breadworks bread in PA, etc. There are a ton of places out there that put the major chains to shame imo. Sure, some of those places might be a couple bucks more, but it's worth it to me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »

Pittsburgh invented fries and slaw on the sandwich

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 08:17:10 PM »
They make subs at Publix?  Didn't know that.

YES! Amazing subs!

Port of Subs is also amazing.

Subway and Quizno's are good too.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »
I'm partial to a Southern chain known as McAlister's.

And speaking of sandwiches, the Philly crowd here needs to weigh in on a side point for me:  I'll be in Philly for a business trip in a few months, so the obvious question is which place has the best cheesesteak???   ???

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 05:22:39 AM »
Of the ones on the list, Jersey Mike's.

I also like McAlister's and Jason's Deli.  Half a Muffaletta with a side of red beans & rice, baby.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
After reading through the tipping thread, I have to point out that I really liked Quizno's. The only problem was I'd get the shits afterwards, but they made good stuff.

Also, Subway is always hit and miss, but sometimes you can have a string of hits before the inevitable dried out bread that ruins the whole sandwich.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »
Local shop: P'sghetti's.  Their sweet bread is heavenly.

Oh yeah, that bread is good! :tup. I like McCallisters as well.....I don't know if that is national or not. Good stuff there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »

And speaking of sandwiches, the Philly crowd here needs to weigh in on a side point for me:  I'll be in Philly for a business trip in a few months, so the obvious question is which place has the best cheesesteak???   ???
Jims on South St.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
Blimpie's and Jersey Mike's.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
I hear tons of good things about Jersey Mike's. Publix has very good subs. I've only had cold cut subs (not sure if they offer anything hot) but they do it right every time. Subway is decent but it's very fast food-y.

There's a local place here called 3 Dog which makes the most excellent sandwiches. I had a BBQ Brisket and Cheddar, talk about filling and it was amazing. They also have a thanksgiving sandwich I want to try soon.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

Jims on South St.

:tup :tup

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
From the list, I am apparently the first one going with Potbelly.  Even for a fast-food sandwich chain, Potbelly is truly awesome.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »
I would have picked Potbelly... but I've only eaten there once... back in 2007 in D.C. so can't justify picking them over Jersey Mikes or Quiznos

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
I tried Jersey Mike's a few weeks ago, and they're only the second place I've ever been to that fucked up bacon. Actually managing that feat doesn't bode well for them as a chain.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
I'd say that's just fucktards being fucktards, the Jersey Mike's by my place is great.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
Two places...

One is a 'Nati institution. Izzy's, named after a guy named Izzy Kadetz who opened a deli here in 1901…and for nearly 70 years he sold his amazing Rueben and potato pancakes, while he insulted nearly everyone in line. He was the Soup Nazi, before there was a Soup Nazi. Of course it was in good natured fun, and people would actually feel honored if he picked on them. He died years ago, but his place still churns out the finest reuben in the world in the form of a local chain. The finest ingredients, homemade kosher dill pickles and that potato pancake. I could eat it every day. Try to limit myself to monthly visits instead.

Tom+Chee. Another newer local place that serves, you guessed it, only tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches in various incarnations. They're getting ready to go national.

Yummmy!!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."