Author Topic: Annoying Movie Cliches.  (Read 18750 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Annoying Movie Cliches.
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »
a giant plane of glass will always be broken.

Unless you're in one of the Stiller movies I just mentioned  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlMUswe8wY8
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 09:04:36 AM »
Sex scenes rarely add anything of value to a movie. I've always said it should be a nod to it - i.e. the bedroom door closes after she walks in or whateverand that should be it. We get it - they bump uglies - move on!

I mean think about it - now you're going to watch these two actors simulate sex (often against the grain of where the movie was going) and you're probably going to feel uncomfortable doing it. If you're with anyone watching the movie then you'll likely just feel uncomfortable; if you're on your own then you'll probably either skip it or let it ride in case you see boobage - which will also just be for titillation and not add anything to the story or plot.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Another one:

-Otherwise clean films that feel the need to drop one or two f-bombs in it, just for shock value.  I mean, what's the point?  The movie Big is a good example.  That is a fun movie, not much language at all, and one kids could totally enjoy, but then they had to throw one f-bomb in near the end.  And for what?  It's stupid. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love that film, but throwing that one f-bomb in was so pointless and stupid.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 09:18:49 AM »
Another one:

-Otherwise clean films that feel the need to drop one or two f-bombs in it, just for shock value.  I mean, what's the point?  The movie Big is a good example.  That is a fun movie, not much language at all, and one kids could totally enjoy, but then they had to throw one f-bomb in near the end.  And for what?  It's stupid. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love that film, but throwing that one f-bomb in was so pointless and stupid.

Armageddon had one F-bomb in it, and it was perfectly placed. It really hammered home just how serious of a situation is was "This is one order you shouldn't follow and you fucking know it!!"... simple, but effective. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
I would love for an action/thriller type movie to figure out a way to get you emotionally invested in a character or two and then just have them perish horribly right in the middle of it. You know, right about the time the main characters are usually facing that perilous situation and they miraculously escape. Well, I'd like them to bite it then. Just have a major shift.....focus on some character that hasn't been in the forefront or whatever.....

That's why I loved the ending to 'Somersby'....the one with Richard Gere and Jodi Foster. At the end, when he's about to hang....she comes walking through the crowd and you get this feeling someones going to step in and pardon him or something, but nope.....you hear the floor drop and his body swing. It's great.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »

I have despised ever Ben Stiller movie I have seen, so I'll take Adam Sandler's 3 decent movies over Stiller's 0.

Aw come on, Meet the Parents and Permanent Midnight?!

Robert DeNiro was the best part of MTP.  Robert DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman together were the best part of MTF. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »
Ben Stiller is awful whenever he plays an everyman.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
I would love for an action/thriller type movie to figure out a way to get you emotionally invested in a character or two and then just have them perish horribly right in the middle of it. You know, right about the time the main characters are usually facing that perilous situation and they miraculously escape.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline tofee35

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
The slow motion walk away from an explosion with their back turned like it's second nature to have bombs going off behind and all around you.  I'd jump a mile if that happened.

...or more annoyingly the "cool dude slow-mo walk". This is the moment in every buddy flick when the group of guys (sometimes girls) walk in slow motion towards the camera to some pop song about being cool. This happens in every Hangover movie and any movie with Owen Wilson in it.

It doesn't actually bother me, but it's awful

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
What things in movies drive you up the wall every time they happen ?

For a kick off -

When someone is driving and listening to music and their favourite song comes on and they go f---ing mental. Air guitar - air drums singing really loud - headbanging - miming the words...

People don't do that !! It's just a song ! Calm down ! :lol
Not going to lie, I do that for my favorite metal songs, especially when I'm not the one driving, then I go nuts with the air drums.  :blush

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
I'm in the crowd that absolutely goes bananas behind the wheel when I love what's playing.

It's really the only place that get "total immersion" in the music...I get told to turn it down everywhere else. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
I would love for an action/thriller type movie to figure out a way to get you emotionally invested in a character or two and then just have them perish horribly right in the middle of it. You know, right about the time the main characters are usually facing that perilous situation and they miraculously escape.

Exactly! That's just one more factor why that movie Rocks!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »
I'm in the crowd that absolutely goes bananas behind the wheel when I love what's playing.

It's really the only place that get "total immersion" in the music...I get told to turn it down everywhere else.

Same here.  I listen to CD mixes I put together and when a song comes on that I really love, the volume goes up, and I start rockin out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:13:50 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »

For a kick off -

When someone is driving and listening to music and their favourite song comes on and they go f---ing mental. Air guitar - air drums singing really loud - headbanging - miming the words...

I do that at least 3 times a day...

I thought most people would do this too if it was a song they really like. I know I do every day. Especially air drum.

- Main guy always gets the good looking girl no matter what.
- Bad guys in action movies can't hit anything they aim at.
- Most sex scenes.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »

- Mid evil people looking poor and disgusting but having amazing teeth.

Medieval ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »
People never using the spacebar when typing - or when they get the password first time. [As seen elsewhere in the forum].

Oh and computer text always fills the screen so you can read it.

ACCESS GRANTED

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »

- Mid evil people looking poor and disgusting but having amazing teeth.

Medieval ?

My sincere apologies. 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »
- The side character in an action movie who has to divulge his past to garner sympathy from the audience. We know he's gonna die, you don't have to beat around the bush.

- When a main character (mostly in action adventure or animated films) is seemingly on the verge of death and there's this whole build up of him passing away. I don't think Hollywood has the balls to legitimately do that anymore, so it's just one more futile attempt to try and build empty suspense.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
I'd love to have a movie where they really build up the main character, and slaughter him mercilessly halfway through.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »
I'd love to have a movie where they really build up the main character, and slaughter him mercilessly halfway through.

Then the TV show Game Of Thrones is not for you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »

Go watch Psycho.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
Spock was originally planned to be killed off half-way through Wrath of Khan (an idea Leonard loved), but it kept getting pushed back and pushed back to the end.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
Ben Stiller

Ben Stiller  > Adam Sandler.

Wtf, no.
Dodgeball, Tropical Thunder, and dude, Simple Jack is nothing short of brilliant.

On my last flight back from Germany they had some Adam Sandler movie in the collection. About 30 seconds in some CGI elk was pissing into Sandler's mouth, at which point I stopped the movie.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »
Yes which Is what I was saying.

Stiller > Sandler.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
I think he meant to quote just me.  He went to throw the ball before he had it in his glove.   ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
Oops yeah, misquote. This was in response to the Sandler lovers.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
Ben Stiller

Ben Stiller  > Adam Sandler.

No fuckin way.   :lol   Especially Sandler's older movies.  His newer ones aren't so great. 

Every movie in which I've seen Ben Stiller he was least funny character.

Sandler is basically riding on the coattails of two movies and his SNL stint for the past 20 years. That being said he has been decent on some of the dramas he has done.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
Another one:

Armageddon had one F-bomb in it, and it was perfectly placed. It really hammered home just how serious of a situation is was "This is one order you shouldn't follow and you fucking know it!!"... simple, but effective.
Sorry, but, the only thing that Armageddon did perfectly was suck.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
I have despised ever Ben Stiller movie I have seen, so I'll take Adam Sandler's 3 decent movies over Stiller's 0.

Aw come on, Meet the Parents and Permanent Midnight?!

Meet the Parents was an awful movie. I hate awkward comedy. Never even heard of the other one.

Another one:

If a movie would otherwise be fully suitable for kids/all ages, I agree there's no need to throw it in there at all. If the movie is only suitable for older audiences anyway, I actually really appreciate when a movie uses swearing sparingly and realistically when necessary to accent a certain scene, rather than movies that use it every second word just because they can, to make it seem adult and cool, and it always sounds really contrived and stupid to me.
I don't have a problem with swearing one bit in principle, but I just can't watch movies or shows where they swear constantly. It just comes across as really forced and lame to me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
I just can't watch movies or shows where they swear constantly. It just comes across as really forced and lame to me.
Many classics (Scorsese's crime dramas, Tarantino's flicks, Scarface, The Big Lebowski, American History X, A Bronx Tale, Good Will Hunting, Boogie Nights) are pretty high on the all-time "fuck" list, but I assume you weren't talking about those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_that_most_frequently_use_the_word_%22fuck%22

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »

For a kick off -

Stoned drivers do.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »

For a kick off -

Stoned drivers do.

So...Anyone who rocks out while listening to music in a car is a stoned? A bit harsh considering I know many people who do it and don't smoke pot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
Another one that occurred to me:

When a trained professional does something completely illogical in a dangerous situation.

For example, the movie Face/Off.  At the beginning, an undercover FBI agent is on the plane with Caster and Pollux, posing as a stewardess.  When shit hits the fan and Castor sees that Archer and his team have flooded the runway to try and catch them, he runs to the front of the plane next to the pilot to see them.  At this point, the undercover agent whips out her gun, points it at Castor, and yells, "FBI!"  Meanwhile, Pollux, who is completely in her blind spot, naturally then clocks her from behind with the briefcase, subdues her, and then moments later, Castor kills her.  I am always like, uh, I am pretty sure a trained undercover agent who was considered good enough to be put on a plane with a dangerous, highly-known criminal like Castor would know better than to pull a gun on him, while leaving herself open to a blindside by the other dangerous criminal on board.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
Oops yeah, misquote. This was in response to the Sandler lovers.

Well I'm not really a Sandler lover. I thought the first couple of movies he did were funny.  After that, it's the same predictable nonsense. However,  Stiller was never funny to me at all.

I agree with what Orcus said about Sandler.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
Another one that occurred to me:

When a trained professional does something completely illogical in a dangerous situation.

Just like Colonel Quaritch repeatedly exposing himself to the atmosphere of Pandora.