Author Topic: Annoying Movie Cliches.  (Read 18610 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Annoying Movie Cliches.
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
Yeah, that was my problem with it. The characters and story weren't interesting enough to hold up the rest of the film for so long.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2014, 06:41:12 PM »
I liked everything up until the ending.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »
Man of Steel does have quite a few problems and I acknowledge those fully, yet for me its one of those things I can't explain. I love that movie and have the Blu-ray of it as well. The extras are really worth it IMO if you're into all those kind of things.

There are other movies that are full of cliches and predictable endings yet I really enjoy watching them like Independence Day and Oblivion to name a few.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »
I'll go on record as being a fan of Man of Steel...except that it didn't have enough cliches for my old-fashioned taste. There I said it.

I like my Superman being the defender of people and property not the catalyst for wholesale, careless and wanton destruction. I like my Lois Lane frighteningly dense where Supe's identity is concerned. Oh, and the villain should be so over-the-top melodramatic that they should come with a handlebar moustache!

Phew, I feel better now.

The chest hair nearly makes up for all these problems though.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »
I'll say this again.  We all have "our" perception of Superman from the comics of our youth,  there are so many versions that we pigeonhole him whenwe read the comics as a kid.  I really like Man Of Steel.  I can't stop watching it on HBO even though I have the Blu Ray.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »
BUUUMMMPPPP

When a film is revealed to be " just a dream " but it has scenes that aren't from the dreamer's perspective that they didn't see going on.

That's annoying.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
I'll say this again.  We all have "our" perception of Superman from the comics of our youth,  there are so many versions that we pigeonhole him whenwe read the comics as a kid.  I really like Man Of Steel.  I can't stop watching it on HBO even though I have the Blu Ray.

Yeah, this reviewer does a nice job of explaining how this new Superman is far removed from the classic idea:

https://www.agonybooth.com/why-batman-v-superman-never-even-had-a-chance-to-be-good-52099

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
Except there are different era's of Superman.  Sometimes they don't use the storylines we grew up with and its "Not my Superman."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
I don't give a fuck if Man Of Steel wasn't the Donner Superman...

He was just a shit Superman all round. All super and no hero.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
I don't give a fuck if Man Of Steel wasn't the Donner Superman...

He was just a shit Superman all round. All super and no hero.

I'm talking comic book story lines.  Easy fella.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
When there's a group of bad guys invading a place and some good guys are hiding...

Good guys come up with an elaborate plan...

..Which ends up with one of them just coming up behind one bad guy and getting in a fight... Great plan....

Offline PetFish

« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2017, 12:31:48 AM »
Two that have been bugging the crap out of me lately:

1)  "Regular" People Without Powers Fighting Like They *Do* Have Powers

Hawkeye and Black Widow are these "regular" people.  Hawkeye NEVER misses and Widow bounces around like a Yoda.

Another one is Wade Wilson from X-Men Origins: Wolverine.  It's never explained how he can deflect bullets with is swords.  As far as we know he has no powers at all at this point but we *do* know the others have powers and what they are.  I'm not familiar with the entire history of Wade Wilson/Deadpool and as a movie fan I shouldn't have to be.  At least in the new Deadpool it's explained how he got his powers but up until then he was just a regular guy.

2)  When <X> Hero Arrives it's Over

You know when <X> Hero arrives that they'll wipe everyone up and it'll be over so there's no more tension in the story.  These "perfect" heroes need to miss once in a while to keep it "real".  I'm looking directly at Legolas for this one.  Yes, he's an Elf and lives long and is a great warrior, but he also NEVER misses so it's like "oh, here's Legolas, we can all just sit down ad watch now".  This kind of crap takes me right out of the story.

It's pretty much guaranteed that the main hero will win but at least make them not so perfect.  A good example of what I think is a good hero is Optimus Prime cuz at least he gets hurt pretty badly before he wins.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2017, 01:35:14 AM »
- The "peekaboo" effect. Just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean you can't HEAR it, especially when it's a goddamn T-Rex in Jurassic Park. That's the most blatant example, but movies are full of situations where not seeing someone or something equals to never ever hear it just like it would appear out of thin air.

- Sex scenes with sheets. I completely understand that not all movies can show naked bodies, but in 80 years or so of sex scenes in movies, why nobody has come up with something different to cover the woman than "She's a wild fire of desire but she suddenly becomes prude and keeps the sheets up"? it's not mandatory to show people having sex, you can imply they go to bed without showing them in the act. If you have to make a sex scenes that screams "Not unrated movie, actress didn't consent to nudity", just stop the scene when they start to make out.

- Dramatic entrance with the perfect quip or remark at the very right moment. How many times in your life did you even had the chance or the occasion to say something just as you arrive or anyway when nobody else saw you around yet? I bet never. That perfectly timed kind of coincidence happens only in the movies.

- Protagonists not dying but knocked out and seemingly deaad. Maybe the first time it was ever done, it worked. But when you see the hero lying down and fearing he's dead... 100% of the times he's not.

- Arbitrary use of a foreign, "exotic" language, between people speaking also english. The Lord of the Rings movies are filled of examples of elves speaking english and then saying a dramatic and poignant sentence in the elven language. And if there's a movie set in Japan or China, you can bet to hear those people starting to speak the language and then switching to english for the rest of the conversation (or the other way around).

Who the hell does that in real life? I'm italian, the translation of "let's go home" is "andiamo a casa". It's like I would say "Hey buddies, it was great hanging out all together. The dinner was delicious. The hour is late however... andiamo a casa". Who the hell ever spoke like that?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2017, 02:26:18 AM »
- Man has to seduce Woman for plot reasons.   Typically man is a spy, women is someone who 'needs' protecting and probably doesn't know it.

- Man seduces Women, and Man really falls for Women.

- Women finds out Man is Spy. 

- Argument, and Women runs off.

- and is Kidnapped.

- Man rescues Women.

- Women forgives Man.

- Happy ever after.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2017, 02:55:10 AM »
1 good guy v 5 or more bad guys.

1 bad guy attacks at a time whilst other stand around and watch.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
Except there are different era's of Superman.  Sometimes they don't use the storylines we grew up with and its "Not my Superman."
I get what you're saying, but the depiction of Superman in the comics has been remarkably consistent when it comes to character.  Details may change, yes, but you could always read two Superman comics published 10 years apart and see that they were still the same character, acting more or less the same way.

I don't ever remember an era of Superman that would have acted/reacted like he did in Man of Steel.  That was Zach Snyder's version of Superman, not any from the comics.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2017, 06:19:19 AM »
When the good guys have a plan to infiltrate a base to obtain a thing..

They have a plan which doesn't go to plan..but not that...When things just keep on happening they have to solve...And it just keeps going and going.

It's supposed to be tense but I just find it irritating.

Because you know they win in the end so to have so many obstacles you just have to sit there and watch - can be tedious.

Especially if it comes down to an elongated fist fight.

:yawn: I know the good guys will win. This is just dragging it out.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »
Yeah, it can become annoying when it's done really step by step, like, we have to this but there's ONLY one obstacle... so we have to solve it in this ONLY way... and that way is achieavable ONLY by doing this certain thing... it's annoying, the same kind of annoyance that you get, dunno, when you play Tetris and you need only one piece but that piece never arrives and so you stall  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »
We need to get past the guards.

Oh there's more guards.

We need to disable the alarm.

Oh there's back up alarms.

We need to defuse the booby trap.

Oh there's more than we thought.

And the whole 'pointing the gun directly at the villain, pausing

for no reason. Villain knocks gun from your hand. Extended fist fight. '

:( this. Is. Boring.

Also : "we have 3 minutes "

Task takes easily 20 minutes.

Cut to countdown : 1 minute left.

its meaningless. It's just trying to add more tension by having a countdown

But then completely ignoring it anyway.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
I get what you're saying, but the depiction of Superman in the comics has been remarkably consistent when it comes to character.  Details may change, yes, but you could always read two Superman comics published 10 years apart and see that they were still the same character, acting more or less the same way.

I don't ever remember an era of Superman that would have acted/reacted like he did in Man of Steel.  That was Zach Snyder's version of Superman, not any from the comics.

No argument about Zach at all. It still doesn't bother me.  I know the carnage was one that you pointed out. Like I said before Superman in this movie never had to fight someone his strength and who knew how to fight.  he was in a battle for his life at that point.  I think Snyder poorly flushed that out.  I liked that premise, it just wasn't executed well.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
Another cliche I remembered: someone lurking in the backseat of the car.

How can you just NOT notice someone hidden there. It's once again the peekaboo effect, if you don't see it, you don't hear it. As distracted and unassuming as you may be, even in a dark night you just can't NOT see even with the farthest corner of your field of vision someone all huddled in the back of your car, nor hearing, if only for a split second before, the movement made to take out the gun or strangle you or whatever.

This falls in with people not realizing the killer or the assailant is right behind the door, there's a field of vision, I don't believe anyone would ever not notice someone (even though I change my mind when I'm standing right behind people on the subway and they don't even realize I'm trying to surpass their slow asses).

Offline PetFish

« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2017, 11:49:54 PM »
How about the one where there's 30 things that have to go EXACTLY right for the plan to work with no margin for error and somehow it all works out?

I'm looking at you, Oceans 11/12/13 and practically every heist movie ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:47 PM »
Another cliche I remembered: someone lurking in the backseat of the car.

How can you just NOT notice someone hidden there. It's once again the peekaboo effect, if you don't see it, you don't hear it. As distracted and unassuming as you may be, even in a dark night you just can't NOT see even with the farthest corner of your field of vision someone all huddled in the back of your car, nor hearing, if only for a split second before, the movement made to take out the gun or strangle you or whatever.

This falls in with people not realizing the killer or the assailant is right behind the door, there's a field of vision, I don't believe anyone would ever not notice someone (even though I change my mind when I'm standing right behind people on the subway and they don't even realize I'm trying to surpass their slow asses).

Everyone in movies seems to have tunnel vision, and a range of hearing of about 5ft.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2017, 01:21:16 AM »
How about the one where there's 30 things that have to go EXACTLY right for the plan to work with no margin for error and somehow it all works out?

I'm looking at you, Oceans 11/12/13 and practically every heist movie ever.

Or anything the Joker does in The Dark Knight, only the awesomeness of the movie keeps you from really thinking about how insanely complicated his plan is.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2017, 05:04:09 AM »
This may have been mentioned already, but...

Girl getting chased through the forest by monster/scary attacker guy. Trips and falls. Every single time..  ::)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2017, 05:46:09 AM »
This may have been mentioned already, but...

Girl getting chased through the forest by monster/scary attacker guy. Trips and falls. Every single time..  ::)

And doesn't IMMEDIATELY get up. Just sort of turns over on her back and has a look around before

gradually getting back up - having another look around. Turns to walk away - BAM - he's right there.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
Guy accidentally gets involved with mafia money, and someone close does, so he slowly gets revenge and kills each one of the bosses. Plus saves the girl. Drive in a nutshell, except mafia were his boss' bosses, and they could have just asked him to give them the money back and try to explain it was the wrong guy in the wrong place. Ofc mafia people aren't logic human beings and always send armed guys first because it's more viable.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:50 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I'm annoyed at:

- Pilot episodes not being retroactively renamed with a proper title
- Series episodes named just Episode 01, 02, 03 etc

For all the creativity it goes into devising, writing, scripting and filming a TV series, conjuring up some titles shouldn't be THAT much of an issue, even the most bland one. Veep for example has many one-word titles, that describe the main theme of the episode: Midterms, D.C., Conventions etc... still better than Episode 1 2 3.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2017, 04:55:29 AM »
Yeah Star Wars episode IV A New Hope was just Star Wars in 1977

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2017, 04:56:45 AM »
Everyone able to hold their breathe underwater for ages.  The amount of times I've seen people holding their breathe underwater for minutes is huge.  I'm a good swimmer and I can hold my breathe for about a minute tops - but that's preparing myself, and also not actually swimming - that's just me underwater in a swimming pool of a good temperature.  If I actually had to swim underwater in the sea and was being chased, or panic'ed then I'd probably struggle for 30 seconds.   

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2017, 04:57:12 AM »
When movies intentionally embellish or mock said cliches.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2017, 05:20:37 AM »
Yeah Star Wars episode IV A New Hope was just Star Wars in 1977

That's what I was thinking of, if such a landmark movie can be retroactively renamed into A New Hope, why don't pilots get a title once the series is greenlit? I know, it's such a trivial thing to be annoyed of, but it still bugs me a bit. Like intro songs on albums that are actually named "Intro"  :P

At this pont I appreciate what Helloween did on their Better than Raw album, going for the obviously exagerated and bloated title "Deliberately Limited Preliminary Prelude Period in Z".

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »
Everyone able to hold their breathe underwater for ages.  The amount of times I've seen people holding their breathe underwater for minutes is huge.  I'm a good swimmer and I can hold my breathe for about a minute tops - but that's preparing myself, and also not actually swimming - that's just me underwater in a swimming pool of a good temperature.  If I actually had to swim underwater in the sea and was being chased, or panic'ed then I'd probably struggle for 30 seconds.   

Everyone in Alien Resurrection would have drown before the aliens got them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »

Everyone in Alien Resurrection would have drown before the aliens got them.

They could survive forever because they're so MACHO. Everyone in that film is so MACHO and TOUGH and dont give NO FUCKS because they're so TOUGH.

" They grew you in a FUCKING lab ! "

:lolpalm: Man I hate that film so much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2017, 06:33:21 AM »

Here's a couple...

1. When bad guys have plan that is going 100% as planned and the police don't suspect a thing or can even get close...Then bad guys do one stupid thing and everything unravels.

Of course you want the bad guys to ultimately lose but when they're so clever for much of the film then do one stupid thing it's a bit like oh... :/

2. When our main cast are at a heavy metal or rock concert - right down the front no less - have plenty of room to move around and can hold a conversation at normal speaking volume.