Author Topic: True story of Andy's mom (Toy Story mind asplosion)  (Read 6886 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: True story of Andy's mom (Toy Story mind asplosion)
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
And because they have to meet deadlines.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
And because they have to meet deadlines.

...and make up a back story later ( or in this case 19 years later :lol )

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
And the whole reason Dream Theater did the Meta Album thing is because they didn't have enough time to think of ways to open 6DOIT, TOT, and 8VRM?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »
And the whole reason Dream Theater did the Meta Album thing is because they didn't have enough time to think of ways to open 6DOIT, TOT, and 8VRM?

lol, no, but that's a good idea for some click bait

THIS SHOCKING DREAM THEATER REVELATION WILL BLOW YOUR MIND

(post about how all the albums from WDADU > 8va are "all one song")

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »
Yeah seriously, Pixar are well known for all the deliberate nods to other Pixar films. It genuinely isn't lazy animation, they LOVE that stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »
:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Yeah seriously, Pixar are well known for all the deliberate nods to other Pixar films. It genuinely isn't lazy animation, they LOVE that stuff.

Of course they're heavily self-referential, what I'm saying is it's also mighty convenient for them because they can cut corners that way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
When I was in college, I wrote a paper linking the story on how all Iron Maiden's album covers were related, and how and why Eddie got from the debut to Seventh Son. And no it wasn't for a class. A little too much  :hat apparently.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
Eh. Pixar reuses models as much as every other animation company. E.g.

(first one A Bug's Life, second Monster Inc)
And the model for the woman inside the trailer is actually the model for the "automated child" that the scarers practice on.

We even see a connection between A Bug’s Life and Monsters Inc. via the trailer we see in both movies. As you can see, the trailer looks exactly the same, except the one in A Bug’s Life is noticeably older and more decrepit, while the one in Monsters Inc. (where Randall is sent via a door) has humans and looks newer.

Look at the picture above. On the left is the trailer from A Bug’s Life and the one on the right is from Monsters Inc. The one on the left looks older and more rundown. Even the vegetation is noticeably dryer and there’s less of it. The trailer on the right has humans and the frame even includes tall grass and a tree hanging overhead.

https://jonnegroni.com/2013/07/11/the-pixar-theory/

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »
Those guys at Pixar are crafty bastards, aren't they?  :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

Of course they're heavily self-referential, what I'm saying is it's also mighty convenient for them because they can cut corners that way.
Maybe. Then again, they put so many of these references into every film, that I'd imagine it's quite a lot more effort to do that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »
They even have the Pizza Planet delivery guys' truck from Toy Story, next to the trailer
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »
This Pizza Planet truck actually appears in most Pixar movies. I just love these little nuggets they always have.

Those guys at Pixar are crafty bastards, aren't they?  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
Shame since Finding Nemo they haven't lived up to that film - with the possible exception of Up...

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
Monster University easily stands right up there with it. A familiar storyline, but man what a film.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »
Shamefully admitted, I haven't seen any Pixar film since after Toy Story 3. Not that I haven't wanted to, I just somehow never got around to it.

I would say Up is a more than worthy contender for best Pixar film since Finding Nemo. It's so emotionally involving and has a theme that has resonated with me most powerfully out of most Pixar movies I've seen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
Up was a lot funnier than I was expecting and the sequence with the airship and the planes at the end was really great.

" Squirrel ! "

:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
Up was horribly depressing. The kid's dad bails on him in the end, and the one person that shows him any kind of fatherly love is probably going to drop dead any minute.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
The annoying thing about Up for me is : Carl had been planning this trip his entire life and he encounters so many obstacles.

Even when he's finally on his way - that kid shows up and then that stupid bird and he's made out to be a dick because he just wants to fulfil his promise

and not rescue some stupid bird.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
Do you guys put nails into your morning cereal so you don't get too happy when eating? Jesus.
Up has a sad-ish undertone, but it's that very undertone that makes the bonding so much more relevant.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
The annoying thing about Up for me is : Carl had been planning this trip his entire life and he encounters so many obstacles.

Even when he's finally on his way - that kid shows up and then that stupid bird and he's made out to be a dick because he just wants to fulfil his promise

and not rescue some stupid bird.

I'd argue that he isn't made out to be a dick at all. We sympathize with him because we see his life and his promise. The audience arguably is supposed to be just as conflicted as he is.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »
Do you guys put nails into your morning cereal so you don't get too happy when eating? Jesus.
Up has a sad-ish undertone, but it's that very undertone that makes the bonding so much more relevant.

I never said I didn't enjoy it. I just said it was depressing. The ending of The Mist is one of the most depressing endings ever, and I loved it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »

:lol  I can't believe I'm agreeing with rumborak about other people posting in Eeyore mode, but, yeah, what rumborak said. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »
Yeah seriously, Up is an absolutely beautiful film.

Shame since Finding Nemo they haven't lived up to that film - with the possible exception of Up...
Er, what? They had the holy trinity run of Wall-E - Up - Toy Story 3, easily my favourite 3 Pixar films!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
Wall-E and Planes are kind of my WDADU and Falling Into Infinity of Pixar movies.  Easily my least favorite, but still pretty good, especially when compared to the vast majority of what else is out there.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
Wall-E and Planes are kind of my WDADU and Falling Into Infinity of Pixar movies.  Easily my least favorite, but still pretty good, especially when compared to the vast majority of what else is out there.  :biggrin:

Except Planes wasn't produced by Pixar. :huh:

Now that you mention it though, my WDADU and FII for Pixar are probably A Bug's Life and Cars, respectively.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 05:24:54 AM »

Except Planes wasn't produced by Pixar. :huh:
Not technically, no, but I see grouping it in with them.  It was done by Lasseter, and it was a direct spinoff of a Pixar property.  If it fits, it ships.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2014, 05:27:09 AM »
I put Wall-E up there myself for Pixar film.  A bold move and a great movie but as for a kids movie....not so much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »
I put Wall-E up there myself for Pixar film.  A bold move and a great movie but as for a kids movie....not so much.
I don't see why not - there are plenty of cutesy moments and slapstick moments for kids to enjoy.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
When we saw it a lot of the kids in the theater were fidgety.  That was just my observation there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2014, 07:33:19 AM »
I actually haven't seen many Pixar movies. I'm definitely more of a Dreamworks dude.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2014, 07:51:28 AM »
I actually haven't seen many Pixar movies. I'm definitely more of a Dreamworks dude.
Aside from the first two Shrek films, not many of the Dreamworks films have appealed to me.

Of course, very few animated films appeal to me, anyway, so I'm a bad test case.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
On the whole I dig the Pixar films more, but Dreamworks have had some gems too (the Shreks, and Over the Hedge in particular).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
On the whole I dig the Pixar films more, but Dreamworks have had some gems too (the Shreks, and Over the Hedge in particular).
I work retail and we sell The Croods like crazy; everyone says it's really good. I have yet to see it, though.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »

Definitely this. It still surprises me how underrated and unappreciated Over the Hedge is. And overall, How to Train Your Dragon is pretty great too.