Author Topic: Lucien's Roulette - THE END  (Read 12697 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Lucien's Roulette - 2: Soundtrack/Classical RESULTS
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
Tomorrow.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucien

Re: Lucien's Roulette - 3: Centerpiece RESULTS
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
You guys gave me a ton of music  :lol

-Shadow Ninja 2.0
Avantasia - The Scarecrow

This is an interesting piece. Love the beginning of the song, with the sort of classical melody, and then the other instruments come in. This certainly SOUNDS like the big song on an album. Listen to those soaring vocals during the chorus. Sort of a pirate  :yarr prog metal piece? I enjoyed it.
17/20

-Buddyhunter1
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

I like the melody of it, how refined it sounds, very great. The choir sounds a bit electronic, but that's probably because it is.  :lol It's not a turn-off though, just something I noticed. Then the other instruments come in, then a quieter part, with, guess what, female vocals! Not surprising, as this is symphonic metal after all. I like her singing. More big metal parts, then a REALLY quiet part, that I like a lot. The middle section, with soaring strings, and feels much more like an actual symphony. Sometimes I wonder why these symphonic metal artists don't try writing an ACTUAL symphony. I want to hear like a collaboration of all the huge prog and symphonic metal artists to make a single, huge SYMPHONY. Rambling over, I like this song a lot. Bookmarked.
18/20

-Adace
Katatonia - My Twin

This sort of reminds me of the Alcest song you sent me, at least with the tone of the vocals, except it isn't drony and has a bit more dynamic contrast, as it isn't shoegaze. The vocals are the biggest reason I like this song. Short, but sweet. It's a great song.
16/20

-Senecadawg2
Opeth - Windowpane

I'm already enjoying this with the introductory 30 seconds. The bass line (I think it's the bass) is just so great, with the dissonant chord constantly hitting, until it hides away when the vocals come back in. Then a different instrumental section comes in, with a really great guitar solo. Vocals come back in, guitar solo comes back.. Enjoying the vibe of this song a lot. A different instrumental section comes in, with the dissonant chords in the bass hitting again. The bass really makes this song. Gets quieter.. Deep, dark guitar solo, that doesn't overexert itself at all. The bass comes back with that AMAZING dissonant riff. I really like this song. There's something that it reminds me of, though I can't put my finger on it...
18/20

-Ben_Jamin
The Arkitecht - Hyperstructure

I enjoy the guitar a lot here, but you definitely decided to take a risk here with the harsh vocals. This is a weird hybrid. It's obviously metal, but it feels rather quiet in parts, even with the drums going really fast. I kinda feel the same way about someone who would feel about listening to The Count of Tuscany for the first time. It doesn't feel like a "serious" song, like, at all. It has a sort of humorous feel to it, but since I was too lazy to look for the lyrics, I have no clue whether or not it's actually supposed to feel serious.  :lol Suddenly, a quiet part with electric-sounding violins, really fast, light cymbals, like the rain come in, and the guy's high-pitched vocals. Then a guitar solo comes in with the same beat as the rainy cymbals. I appreciate that, but I don't like the harsh vocals all that much. Certainly not a bad song, though.
15/20

-Elite
Transatlantic - Duel With the Devil

Awesome introduction with strings and piano, into the rest of the instruments. As with a few of the other Transatlantic epics I've listened to, they like to draw out sections a LOT. There are some really great proggy riffs going on here. This first instrumental section doesn't really explain a lot though.  :lol OH. There are the vocals. Now the song makes sense, and holy crap I like these lyrics. Wow, this song just got a lot better. Again, they really like to draw out their sections, though. Quieter section with keyboard and acoustic guitars, vocals.. Nice underlying bass, when audible. This is a nice section. More instrumental.. Quieter again, almost ambient. I like this section. Great guitar solo. Suddenly saxophone lol. There are the vocals again, with a chorus behind him, then the saxophone again, with its really great melody. Then we're at another quirky instrumental section that kind of reminds me of Kaleidoscope, that I enjoy. It becomes quiet, with acoustics, sort of as a stylistic reprise to an earlier section. There's an interesting section with a children's choir (I think), that I like a lot. Big, epic instrumental finale. This song was really great. Bookmarked.
18/20

-LieLowTheWantedMan
Pavement - Gold Soundz

Ohh, a nice, catchy, short, proggy (?) song, with interchanging 8/4 and 7/4 measures, except during the chorus. I like this song a lot, though there isn't much to say about it, unlike the above TA song.  :lol I love the chorus of this song. This song ends way too quickly, though, but I like it a lot.
16/20

-Lonestar
Beyond the Bridge - The Difference is Human

The keyboard intro intrigues me, as it sounds very adventurous. This song is very epic in style, as is most power metal. This is really great. The somewhat quieter section sound just as adventurous as the first, and great. There is a duet between a male and female vocalist that sounds great. Is it just me, or are the lyrics really cheesy though?  :lol Could just be it being power/prog metal though. I love all the riffs and melodies though. This song is really great. Bookmarked.
17/20

Shadow Ninja - 46
Buddyhunter - 50
Adace - 53
Seneca - 51
Benjamin - 49
Elite - 51
Lielow - 47
Lonestar - 50

Adace is still in the lead, but the others are gaining on him!

ROUND 4- Send me a song that will put me into a trance, a state above normal life. Send me an AMBIENT song, and use the term loosely. As you may have figured out from my scoring, I'm a SUCKER for ambient pieces.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
Yes, that song is meant to be serious. But its his first effort, not bad I'd say.

I got one for you.....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:47 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the song! Opeth truly is great, in my opinion, even if you're not a big fan of the growls.

And sent!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adace

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 02:35:33 AM »
Bit disappointed with that score, but I'm still glad you like it.

Sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »
How does Duel with the Devil not get a 20?

And more importantly, how have you been a member of this forum for so long and not heard Transatlantic?!?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
Sent.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »
And more importantly, how have you been a member of this forum for so long and not heard Transatlantic?!?
I've been around for 4.5 years and the first time I heard a Transatlantic song was a month ago :blush

:tup to Seneca and Adace for great song picks!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
How does Duel with the Devil not get a 20?

Here's something super controversial. I felt the sections were drawn out way longer than they needed to be.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »
Holy crap, 7/8 sent already.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
I won't be on here at all this week until next week. Just giving a heads up
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
That means just me left. :lol I love ambient music, but I'm not sure how ambient to go.

EDIT: Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2014, 07:03:49 AM »
:bump:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lucien

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
Lol. Will have results out today.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
Were you waiting for me to come back?.....

Nah, its cool I didn't miss the results.

Offline Lucien

Re: Lucien's Roulette - 4: Ambient RESULTS
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »
I'm a sucker for ambient. Most of you will get pretty high scores  :lol

-Shadow Ninja 2.0
BT: All That Makes Us Human Continues
This is an interesting piece of ambient. Within it, one is not really moving anywhere, but suspended in light. A good light. A very lovely piece, almost innocent, except later in the song, when it gets a bit creepy, but that just builds up into a different section with bass, going back into the lighter area later. What makes us human? Emotion, love, anger, and a lack of constant fear. I like this piece a lot. Bookmarked.
17/20

-Buddyhunter1
Storm Corrosion: Storm Corrosion
Beautiful flute. There is the wind. There are the clouds. There is the stream (with the guitar). Great vocals. Very light, and naturalistic. I love this piece. Nothing exists in excess, just naturally placed melodies over a quick guitar base, at least in the beginning. So much to love. I truly love a piece when there is an entire place that I can see while listening to a song. The mood changes rather abruptly at one section, but the melodies just become SO GREAT. Every instrument playing something completely different, every instrument creating some other small feeling improving all the others. Shortly after this great section, there is a much darker ambient section with droning bass, which was a bit unnerving on the first listen, but it really fits. There is the storm. The storm builds up, the rain starts falling, suddenly the tension of the storm disappears, and something new is formed. There's the flute. Tremolo strings indicate rain falling. Beautiful. Bookmarked.
19/20

-Adace
Hammock: Breathturn
This was actually the first one I listened to. The video very much enhances the experience of the song. There is certainly a lot of light in this one, and it reminds me a lot of the Faunts song given to me earlier in the roulette. Wonderful melodies, and an interesting video that I have not quite gotten, though there was a small discussion in the comments about what it's supposed to be about. Really great.
16/20

-Senecadawg2
Ulver: EOS
Wow, wonderful synth chords. I love the pad they are using for this, and the album cover basically reflects my thoughts. And wonderful baritone vocal melodies. So much to love. Like, holy crap there is so much good about this, the lower end, the upper end, EVERYTHING. I LOVE THIS. Beautiful. I could almost say... It's perfect. Bookmarked.
20/20

-Ben_Jamin
Atoma: Rainmen
The second least ambient song I received here, at least in my definition, but the melodies are really, really great. It does certainly put you in a place above simple Earth. Most of the other song take you to places like fields and rivers and clouds.. This one takes you to the stars, and is a very blue song. Some of my favorite songs are blue. Extremely powerful guitar melodies, vocal melodies, and everything else. Lots to love. Bookmarked.
18/20

-Elite (you were right)
Anathema: A Simple Mistake
I kinda expected someone (or some people) to send Anathema, and I was secretly hoping that neither sent something off of Judgement Day, as I had already heard that album in full. I like this a lot. Time signature changes, great vocal melodies, and the other instruments going in and out of the stream, adding little things and micromanaging the airspace. Wonderful, snowy melodies, as it is a very white song.
17/20

-LieLowTheWantedMan
Bohren and Der Club of Gore: Midnight Black Earth
Intense chords. I have a chord progression saved that reminds me of this, that I actually called "Midnight Breeze", and I use the chord progression in a little synth piece I made a while back. Wow, this is synth jazz. I usually don't like jazz that much. Wow, this is great. Dark, as I would expect. A completely black song except for the little variations in color that appear with the melodies. Very high contrast in color, but still "dark". Anyone outside of obscure musical knowledge would probably enjoy this. Anyone could lay down and relax to this. It's beautiful. Then the saxophone comes in, and everything drops. There is the mood, the clouds, the wind, the stars, the moon. It's amazing, really. Bookmarked.
19/20

-Lonestar (you were also right)
Anathema: Untouchable

The one "epic" I get this round. Wonderfully fast for ambient, though this is probably the least ambient song I received this round. I really need to look more into Anathema, because they do such a good job at making shining melodies that really catch a person. Part one is fast, then part two comes in with a beautiful piano melody, and sounds like a 70's pop ballad, in the beginning. Really great. This vocalist really does something for me that I enjoy a lot. Then suddenly strings come in for a second, and it becomes more modern, and there is a female vocalist that I REALLY like. Then they sing together and :heart. This piece is really great. "I had to let you go, to find a way back hooooooooooooooooooooooooome." There is really just so much to love. Nearer to the end, it almost sounds like film score. Anathema should write a film score. Hmmm. Bookmarked
18/20

Shadow Ninja -  63
Buddyhunter - 69
Adace - 69
Seneca - 71
Benjamin - 67
Elite - 68
Lielow - 66
Lonestar - 68

And so Seneca has jumped into the lead! FINAL ROUND: OPEN! Send me what you consider the best song ever given to humanity (as long as my banned list doesn't interfere)!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Tied for 2nd/3rd :eek

I'll have to think about this one for a bit.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
I had a feeling you would like the Ulver track. It's my go-to for ambient rounds

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
I knew I should've given you a Carbon Based Anatomy song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Sent!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
Only 4 people have sent. Still need Adace, Benjamin, Elite, and Lielow's submissions.

Offline adace

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »
Sorry for the delay, been busy the last few days. Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2014, 04:54:01 AM »
Well, I was away last week. I just sent you my 'song' for the final round.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:50 AM »
So, how is this one coming along then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lucien

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »
Still missing Benjamin's, but these are all very good  ;D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
With a very clear winner, I hope  ;)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
So, how is this one coming along then?
Squ

Offline Lucien

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
Results tomorrow.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
TOMORROW, I promise. I had a ton of crap today.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2014, 07:19:34 AM »
Bohren's new album Piano Nights is great as well.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Lucien

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2014, 10:04:15 PM »
Oh my God.  :facepalm:

I can't believe this is the third time I have to say tomorrow. God damn it. I promise, 100%, it WILL BE TOMORROW AND WE CAN BE DONE WITH THIS.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
I don't mind waiting all that much, but just some friendly advice (a bit too late now, with the end of the roulette)- you may be better off not telling us anything at all. I know that I have wanted to post the results tomorrow! message more than a couple times, thankfully decided against it and then ended up not posting the next day. It saves you the trouble of having to feel guilty, and for the most part no one is going to mind waiting as long as you don't build up their anticipation. Also, I'm looking forward to the final results! I felt good about my submission, hopefully you did too  :smiley:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2014, 05:54:58 AM »
Lucien... Perhaps now just isn't a good time for you to be running this?  Everyone gets that life is more of a priority than a DTF roulette, but if you are too busy to be able to listen to 8 songs a few times and write a couple sentences on each, and can't do so in less than 2 or 3 weeks ... Well, it's not really fair/fun for anyone, least of all yourself. People start losing interest, and the whole purpose of this is to discover new music in a fun way.

Just a thought ...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »
Well, this was the last round of the Roulette, so after he posts these final write-ups and scores, the thing is over. Then again, it has been running for more than 2 months - and that's quite a lot with only 5 rounds.
Squ