Author Topic: Zook's Top 50 v. Screw it, here's #13-1!  (Read 15964 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
That might be amusing to see you post the actual rest of the list and write ups based on what you think I might say about the albums. My guess is incoherent babbling.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Make it happen, should make for a fun read at the least.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I would gladly read it too.  :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
13. Dream Theater - Metropolis PT 2: Scenes From a Memory

Genre: Progressive Metal

This was the first Dream Theater album I ever bought, but this wasn't the album that got me into the band. Regardless, SFAM is a brilliant concept album full of great musical jams, and James LaBrie is in top form. Newcomer Jordan Rudess fits right in bringing wacky new sounds to the band, my favorite being the ragtime solo in The Dance of Eternity. After Falling Into Infinity, DT really took it up a notch and created a masterpiece, but really, FiI isn't that bad. Anyway, PLUH!

Favorite song: Beyond This Life

12. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

Another brilliant concept album. Simply flawless. I used to not like The Needle Lies very much, but it's cool now.

Favorite song: The Mission

11. Kamelot - The Black Halo (2005)

Genre: Progressive Power Metal

Another brilliant... Oh wait, said that already. Whatever, it's a brilliant concept album too, and their best album overall. Kamelot made us wait 7 years for another great album.

Favorite song: Memento Mori

10. Circus Maximus - Nine (2012)

CM changed their style a tad for this one, but they still sound awesome. A little more contemporary and mainstream sounding, but I like it, and the direction they're going.

Favorite song: Burn After Reading

9. Redemption - Snowfall On Judgment Day (2009)

This is the album that made Redemption click for me. Tried 'em in 2007 with The Origins of Ruin, but couldn't get into them. Snowfall changed all that, and now I love all their albums except the debut, but not even Nick Van Dyk likes that one.

Favorite song: Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day

8. Stone Sour - House Of Gold & Bones (2012/2013)

Genre: Alternative Metal

This is a double concept album and I was debating whether to separate them since both parts came out at different times, but I might as well list it as one album. Part 1 kicks my ass and shows no mercy while Part 2 is a little more merciful and gentle. This album is described as Pink Floyd's The Wall meets Alice In Chain's Dirt, and it wipes the floor with both of them. If I had listed them separately, Part 1 would probably be even higher.

Favorite song: Absolute Zero

7. Lorenguard - Eve of Corruption: The Days of Astasia - Part One (2011)

Genre: Power Metal

This unknown US Power Metal band created in my opinion the greatest Power Metal album of all time. I discovered them by simply checking on the status of Progressive Power Metal band, Winterfell, and discovered that their singer is now in a band called Lorenguard. So I check out their YouTube page, and listen to the title track, and wasn't really impressed, but was shocked that Robb Graves (lol) changed his vocal style, and isn't obnoxious anymore. He did grate on my ears after listening awhile, but now he sounds great! And the title track is the weakest on the album. Still pretty good, but The rest of the album is pure gold. If you've heard of them and happened to listen to their first EP or whatever, and wrote them off, well I don't blame you, but Eve of Corruption is amazing. Comma spicing FTW. They don't sound anything like their EP. Different singer, and not shitty. For a self produced and funded debut, it sounds amazing, and for a debut, you'd think these guys were veterans. A Masterpiece of metal.

Favorite song: The Prince and The Pariah

6. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002)

I got into disc 2 before disc 1 oddly enough, it was the track times that kept me hesitant to listen to disc 1, but once The Glass Prison clicked, I was thrashing all around. Not really, but that song is fucking awesome as is the title track. Misunderstood is still my least favorite song here, but I'm OK with it.

Favorite song: The Glass Prison

5. Circus Maximus - Isolate (2007)

Here's an instant clicker. Fun fact: I discovered CM with this album in Florida, and bought the CD in Arizona... That wasn't fun at all. What the fu- Michael Eriksen is amazing, and this album is better than both Symphony X's Paradise Lost and DT's Systematic Chaos which came out the same year. Masterpiece.

Favorite song: Abyss

4. Dream Theater - Awake (1994)

DT got heavier and darker, and nobody liked them anymore, but Awake rules. Suck it Rob Van Dam. The bonus track is pretty good I guess.

Favorite song: Scarred.

3. Symphony X - The Odyssey (2002)

Genre: Progressive Power Metal

The Odyssey marked the beginning of a new era for SX. They got heavier, and they would take 10 years to make albums from then on out. This album is a nice mix of the heavy and softer side of the band, and Russell is awesome and very dynamic, something he isn't anymore. Every song is perfect, but it took me a while to appreciate Incantations of the Apprentice.

Favorite song: The Odyssey

2. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

DT's breakthrough, and every prog metal band's blue print. Simply the best. Better than all the rest. A great mainstream Prog album, and although Take The Time and Pull Me under were butchered for radio play, they didn't need to be. They fly by due to how catchy they are. Surrounded was the first DT song I ever heard, and it remains my favorite.

Favorite song: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

1. Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider (1992)

Genre: Thrash Metal

Yes, those really are the original covers.  :lol Although some of the songs on this album sound better with Matt Barlow singing them, especially live, the original is still a masterpiece in thrash metal. Back when Jon Schaffer was young and inspired, he created some of the coolest riffs, and his playing was out of this world. There are two interludes that slow the pace, but otherwise this is ass kicking thrash from start to finish.

Favorite song: "The Stormrider Trilogy" or Pure Evil... or Travel in Stygian

And there it is...

NEXT YEAR WILL BE BETTER

50% wont be changed.

Thank you.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zook's Top 50 v. Screw it, here's #13-1!
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
Holy update :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »
It's a rollercoaster, this list...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
I'm actually considering doing the rest of my list in one post tomorrow just because it keeps slipping my damn mind to do.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
cool update!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
It's a rollercoaster, this list...

I like prog metal. Big whoop wanna fight about it?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »
No, I was referring to the on/off thing that's been going on. I actually love most of the albums listed here.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »
Oh, thought you were being sarcastic, since the majority of the list is prog in some form.

I'm still not satisfied with the list, (order, missing entries) but I figured what the hell, I'll get it over with. Plus, I didn't think anyone was all that interested.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
Never thought I would see Night of the Stormrider as a number one album but its awesome that it is since it has some badass songs in it. Also thank goodness those original covers weren't used.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
holy crap

great update!!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
Mother of all updates.  Quite possibly the most epic single update in a top 50 thread, marred only by Iced Earth.  Sorry mang, just ain't ma thang.  Otherwise, the other 12 are stellar.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »
Holy fuck balls!!!  Way to finish! :metal :metal :metal  Awesome top 13!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I guess it was a good idea to finish the list then eh?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »
Nice..........can't say I've even heard that IE - I do like Horror Show.  Will check it out.

All the others (aside from Lorenguard , which again I haven't heard) I rate quite highly - one or two will make my top 50.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »
Nice..........can't say I've even heard that IE - I do like Horror Show.  Will check it out.

All the others (aside from Lorenguard , which again I haven't heard) I rate quite highly - one or two will make my top 50.

The singer on Stormrider is quite different than Barlow on Horror Show, but he's not bad. Lorenguard is amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2014, 11:17:40 PM »
Just checked out The Prince and The Pariah -  I did like it so will follow up on it.  He just couldn't hit the obvious note needed to finish the song with a bang  ;D  They actually remind me a bit of another band that will be in my Top 50 - I think said band is on another level in some areas but the fact I'm even comparing Lorenguard to them is a big tick from me.

Thanks for the heads up .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
The dude can hit high notes, trust me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
I trust you  ;D  Well perhaps he chose a different note so as not to be so obvious - or just to piss me off .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2014, 03:27:29 AM »
Best update ever.  I was going to do a fun top 13 making fun of you, but this is more like it.  I own everything in that update except Lorenguard.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
Best update ever.  I was going to do a fun top 13 making fun of you, but this is more like it.  I own everything in that update except Lorenguard.

Check it out Kade... it's the tits.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »

Check it out Kade... it's the tits.

Did you finally listen to the whole album?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
I did... haven't bought it yet, but I did listen to it on Spotify a couple of times.