Author Topic: Senecadawg's Roulette (Final Results Posted)  (Read 39318 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (RESULTS and THEME)
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »
:tup

I love 'em, but I can see why someone wouldn't. Mostly I just wanted an excuse to post that image. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »
It's not all bad. Just not good, for my tastes, either.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2014, 12:54:15 AM »
Sent man.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »
sent.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
Shadow Ninja, b_f, LieLow… you guys have until Wednesday. No rush obviously, just something to think about  :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
I'm gonna do pretty shittily this round. I'll probably just settle on something tomorrow since I literally have nothing.

Edit: Sent. I recommend straddling a large stereo speaker ala Jenna Jameson in Private Parts for this one, cowboy :tup
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:01:45 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »
Too bad you already sent Mutterspache.  I listened to that album yesterday and even after all these years that song still slays big time.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »
Braids my pubes every fuckin day of the week too :hefdaddy
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #289 on: April 14, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »
Yes, it's still up there as one of my top 3-5 songs that y'all have introduced me to in this roulette. I'm really looking forward to checking out more from that group.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:02 AM »
Sorry man, I didn't notice you'd already posted the theme. Should be sent shortly.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (Ambient)
« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »
LieLow, I know you have ambient music!!! You cant hide it from me forever  :police:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »
I have a lot of it, but decided to go with none of it and just sent something with a super awesome atmosphere. :angel:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
Oh whoops. Hahaha

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (Atmospheric)
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Before El Doctor posts that silly picture from Spaceballs, I'm going to share the results from this round. It was another great batch of songs and probably my second favorite round so far, behind the Love songs. Here we go!

Elite Penguin Cafe Orchestra- The sound of someone you love who's going away and it doesn't matter
We have a winner! Best atmosphere of any song I received. Perhaps the most striking thing about this song is that it insists on taking its time, and manages to make that work. It moves along at a very comfortable pace, but never feels tedious or boring in the slightest. Also curious is that I don't find myself paying full attention to the music itself. It's the kind of song that lulls me into a peaceful stupor, and when it's done I find myself surprised that 12 minutes have passed. It just kind of enters me and stays there, but never intrudes on anything else. Also love the use of strings, and really enjoy the playful transition section that appears at around the 8 minute mark. Thanks for hitting the spot!

lonestar I.Q.- Road of Bones
We have another winner! Yes, that's right, there's a tie at the top. This one achieves its atmosphere in a different fashion than the above Penguin Cafe, instead utilizing excellent production, beautiful keys, ethereal strings, and haunting vocals. This, too, is largely a peaceful experience for me. This one does, however, pick up the pace a little bit more, and at just the right time. This is excellent pacing. EXCELLENT pacing. 2.5 minutes is about the perfect amount of time for the intro, before the bass kicks in. Another 45 seconds later and the fascinating little xylophone (or whatever that percussive instrument is) kicks in, to be repeated throughout the song at all the right times. This song is a great 8 minute experience with a very clear direction. It is precisely this kind of direction that I felt was lacking in your earlier submission from Dream the Electric Sleep. I felt that that one meandered a bit. This one, however, is a steady crescendo executed beautifully.  :tup

jingle.boy Queen- The Show Must Go On
I'll admit, this one felt the least atmospheric of all the submissions this round. Of course, that's my own opinion, and I understand atmosphere in my own way. I did, however, leave it vague for this very reason, and I'm very grateful that I got a good taste of your version of atmosphere. Because at the end of the day, atmosphere aside, I really enjoyed this song. Queen is one of those monster bands that I've always been a little too intimidated by to dive into, and never really known where to begin. Obviously, they haven't completely flown under my radar, and I can't imagine I've listened to Bohemian Rhapsody any less than 20 times (which is a lot, considering not one of those times involved me actively seeking it out). Anyways, I'm truly curious now, and I want to know what you consider the most apt starting place.

Dr. DTVT Kevin Moore- Wednesday the Sky
There's no denying the atmosphere teeming in this one! I'm trying to find the perfect adjective to describe this song, and I'm having a little bit of trouble. Maybe transient is most appropriate, as it feels much shorter than its 4:45 runtime. The first 3 minutes are gone in the blink of an eye, and then it's over before I've opened that eye back up. I don't know why that is, maybe you have some answers for me(?) As for the music itself, theres a lot to like. The keyboard melody is really nice and dreamy, the spoken word bits are very effective in establishing the mood, the vocals literally float above the song, and all the other sound effects do a lovely job of filling in the spaces.

Dark Castle Isis- Ghost Key
It hurts to put this song in the bottom half. It's pleasant, interesting, peaceful, and definitely has a great atmosphere. While a bit repetitive at times, I really enjoy the guitar work. When I think about why this one has landed in the bottom half I can only conclude that it's because of the sludge-metal style vocals. That sort of drawn out scream, typical in sludge metal, has always been a bit of a turn-off for me. It feels a little too forced and melodramatic, I think. Now, with that being said, I don't think I've ever felt those vocals to be more appropriate then when listening to this song. Whicih suggests that Isis has got it down, with execution better than any other band I've ever heard. Unfortunately that doesn't suddenly make me very fond of the music. It's good, but not great.

black_floyd Ozric Tentacles- Plowm
This reminds me a bit of the Spiral Architect song you sent me earlier, Insect. Not musically, as they're obviously very different, but in my reaction to it. It goes a bit like this: Oh hey, this is cool. It's also quite impressive. Wow, these guys display fantastic technical proficiency with their instruments. Hmm… I still don't really feel anything, and that's a damn shame. Why not? In the case of this particular song, there's a lot to like. It's fun and it seems to transcend genre (or at least, any single genre that I can name), incorporating elements of progressive rock, jazz fusion, and spacey electronic shit. Still, something is missing for me. Maybe there's just a little too much happening in this song, and that's made it more difficult for me to digest in such a short amount of time. I honestly don't know. I want to love this song, but I'm hitting a wall.

Shadow Ninja ShamRain- To Leave
I've listened to this one on repeat for a while now, and I'm having trouble coming up with anything to say about it, and that's because I have found it to be quite forgettable. A large part of that is due to the vocalist. I don't think he's bad, per say, just a little boring. The vocal melodies themselves are somewhat dull, I think, and his delivery of those melodies feels deadpan. Deadpan delivery=deadpan response from me, unfortunately. Not a bad song, by any stretch of the imagination, but not much for me to hold on to either.

LieLowTheWantedMan  Slint- Breadcrumb Trail
As soon as this one hit the ground I had relatively high hopes for it, based on the split-second first impression I got from the harmonics and spoken word. Then, at around the minute thirty mark, things picked up in the song. Simultaneously, I started enjoying the song a lot less. What is that sound? I guess it's the guitar, but it sounds more like pain. Or like a saw scraping against metal to produce a high-pitched razor squeak. And the vocals don't feel sung as much as spoken loudly. You're right, the guitar does carry a very eerie vibe, I just don't like that vibe. Sorry   :-[

STANDINGS heading into the penultimate round:
jingle.boy 31+6=37
lonestar 26+8=34
Elite 24.5+9=33.5
Dr. DTVT 27.5+5=32.5
black_floyd 27+3=30
Dark Castle 23.5+4=27.5
LieLowTheWantedMan 22.5+1=23.5
Shadow Ninja 18+2=20

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (ROUND 8 RESULTS)
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »
 :'(

• DT.net Member
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
I wish I'd have done this poor earlier so I coulda settled nicely into noncompetitive mode.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2014, 01:13:07 AM »
I understand the feeling but just keep in mind that you are all playing for second place, regardless. Because at the end of the day, I'm very clearly the biggest winner. I've already discovered a lot of great music from everyone who has participated, and there's still a little time for more!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »
Shifty play by the chef!

I hear what you mean about my submission being the least atmospheric, I wanted to send something that blended in a bit of an upbeat tempo.

I'll await the theme, and hope I don't pull a 'Claven' - "Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen" for 22,000 big ones!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
What happened to 7 points this round?  It goes 9,8,6,5,4,3,2,1.

Also, I've been posting that pic because it seems funny that people are posting just to say they will post results / next batch of albums shortly.  It just seems silly, so I am posting an appropriately silly picture.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #300 on: April 18, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »
Ah no, I got the meaning of the picture, and I agree that posting to update people on future posts is a bit silly.

As for the points. With a tie at the top, Elite and Lonestar each got 8 points. 3rd place got the same thing that 3rd place normally gets, so 6. Elite got an extra one point for the song with my favorite atmosphere. I know I haven't been consistent in handing out bonus points for the most theme-appropriate songs, but I have tried to get that in at least a couple times. I've only really thought about that extra point when my regular rankings were significantly different than how I would rank them based on theme.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #301 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
Here we go, on the final stretch now!

For round 9 I want a relatively short ballad. I won't put a specific time limit on it, but try not to go over 4/5 minutes.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:18 AM »
For round 9 I want a relatively short ballad. I won't put a specific time limit on it, but try not to go over 4/5 minutes.

I'm all over this like a cougar on a wounded chicken.

As for where to start with Queen, I actually don't have much of their discog.  A few greatest hits packages, and Live Killers.  A Night at the Opera is mandatory of course, and I adore Innuendo (their last).  Sheer Heart Attack is one that everyone should also have in their library.  After those, The Game is probably another that should be high on your list.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
knock knock!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
Who's (not) there?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
Elite, Doc, Dark Castle, and LieLow

They've still got another couple days though, if they need them.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #307 on: April 21, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »
Yeah, Im going to have to figure out exactly what ballads are like. I just gotta think about it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
Yeah, Im going to have to figure out exactly what ballads are like. I just gotta think about it.

:lol

Soft music is not in his vocabulary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
Bruh, don't make me slap you with all of my dream pop and bluegrass bruh.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
I'm sure you've got just the right thing… somewhere  :\ 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
Yeah, I actually got a couple things in mind, just gotta see which song I'm going to go with. :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »
Bruh, don't make me slap you with all of my dream pop and bluegrass bruh.

I will Bela Fleck you all over the place. :lol

Go with your gut man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »
sent

• DT.net Member
« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
You guys can just pack it in. Maybe next round will be up for grabs cuz dis shit's mine.