Author Topic: Senecadawg's Roulette (Final Results Posted)  (Read 39338 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (RESULTS)
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »
What was his song?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
Woops, don't know how I missed that.

Never Meant, by American Football
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
Next round…

Send me a song that BLOWS

I love me some woodwind instruments, when used effectively. I'm thinking flutes, clarinets, saxophones, and maybe even bagpipes (though be careful with the bags, that's a bit riskier). For inspiration, if you're having trouble, look towards King Crimson, solo Steven Wilson, Kayo Dot, and Ulver.

And please get it to me before Wednesday, preferably before the weekend is through.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (RESULTS and THEME)
« Reply #248 on: April 04, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
You're saying woodwind instruments. Are brass instruments completely out of the picture for this round?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #249 on: April 04, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
No, definitely not out of the question, sorry for not being more clear. Any wind instrument is open.

With that being said, I do tend to prefer woodwinds.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #250 on: April 04, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
How prominent should the wind instruments be?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
They don't have to be too prominent. I would like to be able to notice their presence though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
Sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2014, 01:34:35 AM »
Fuck man, that's gonna be a tricky one..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2014, 07:26:52 AM »
Tell me about it.  This is a pretty narrowing theme.  14,000 songs in my library, and I can think of about 1/2 a dozen with horns/winds.  There'd be a lot more if Bruce Springsteen wasn't on the banned list.

This could take some time, but I will send before the end of the weekend, as I'm traveling for work this week, flying out tomorrow night.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
Send him some stuff from your extensive Kenny G collection Chad  - he deserves it for booting me out  ;D  Perhaps if he'd asked for stuff that blows earlier I'd be right :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:08 AM »
Question to the 'dawg... can we send a live version of a song that includes winds/horns that didn't in the studio version? 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
Yes you can.

Also, I didn't realize this would be such a difficult theme.i figure there are a lot of modern progressive rock bands that use wind instruments, and that I haven't heard. Maybe I'm overestimating that. Let me know if you guys absolutely can't come up with anything, and I'll do a quick change up

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
I think you are overestimating it. Certainly a lot more that samply symphonic/strings.  No need to change (imo) ... I've found a handful of possibilities.  It just took a while.

Now to decide.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
OK, this question falls under the "things I never thought I'd ask" category...

How about bagpipes or accordians? While not technically grouped with the horn instruments, they are air powered.

Edit: Nevermind, found a flute song. Damn, I kinda wanted to send the accordion song too....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:11:52 AM by lonestar »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
Edit:  I found something else.  Anything less than 1st place for this song will be unacceptable.

And Dylan, that song was awesome  :rollin  It's made even better since he is the voice of Early on Squidbillies.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:58:41 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
Edit:  I found something else.  Anything less than 1st place for this song will be unacceptable.

And Dylan, that song was awesome  :rollin  It's made even better since he is the voice of Early on Squidbillies.
Yeah  :lol one of my friends a few weeks ago was talking about that and so he put it on as we were drinking. I honest to god love the music, but the lyrics and his voice make it 300% better.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
sent
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2014, 06:11:20 AM »
I'm in.  Rolling the dice this round.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
ELITE? Where you at?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
Once again, he doesn't live up to his name.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
Elite? More like Elusive.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2014, 02:24:46 AM »
ELITE? Where you at?

I thought I already sent? Something must have gone wrong then, I'll look into it when I get home and I'll send again if I haven't yet. Sorry!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #268 on: April 10, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »
Okay. With all the submissions in, I should be able to get the results up by tomorrow night/saturday morning

Out of curiosity, are you guys fatigued yet? I'm in no rush to get this done, and I feel that we're still moving at a reasonable pace, so I'm thinking a couple more rounds. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:29:02 AM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #269 on: April 10, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm down.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #270 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
I'm out of the country for a week starting next Sunday morning. I can send you another round before that, but during all of next week, I won't be able to send anything. Just letting you know.
Squ

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
I'm good with keeping it going.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 10, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
Couple more rounds is good with me.  I too am traveling a bit during the week, but so long as you get the theme's announced by the beginning of a weekend, I'm good to get a track to ya.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #273 on: April 10, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
I'm good for as many rounds as you want. If I start getting bored, I'll just start sending only songs by the animatronic house band at Chuck E. Cheese and labeling them with various pseudonyms like I do in every other roulette.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
I'm game.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:12 AM »
Good to hear!

I should have the results posted by tomorrow morning. However, for the sake of those of you who may be headed away soon, I'm going to go ahead and release the next round's theme.

ATMOSPHERE
Take that however you will... I figured I'd keep it pretty vague so as to not limit potential sends. A sort of backlash against the strictness of the previous round.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2014, 05:42:12 AM »
I just sent you round 8 in advance, since I will be away for a week.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
Great

Here are results for the round that blows:

Dark Castle Him- The Way the Trees Are
First three minutes or so and I have very little idea as to where this one is going. It seems to drift, lulling me into a catatonic state. It's not from boredom, but rather relaxation. The use wind instruments is perfect! Very breathy, which fits in will with the tone of the piece, and the kind of airy vocals (sound like they're being sung by a ghost). I'm not going to say too much more. This is a fantastically relaxing song and it makes me feel like I'm floating invisibly 10 feet above the ground, watching the people go by.

black_floyd Psychotic Waltz- I Remember
A close second place for you, this round. And it really was close, because this song is excellent. Excellent in the vocals department, delivering with authority but without strain. Also really enjoy the guitar work, throughout, a lot of really nice little runs. And the flutes… perfect fit! I especially enjoy it when they pick up right before the 3 minute mark. This song has the feeling of a steady march, moving towards inevitable death. I enjoy the lyrics, and the music is excellent.

lonestar Jethro Tull- Witches Promise
I have been meaning to listen to Jethro Tull for a long time. I have heard Aqualung, a little bit, but this was new for me. Anyhow, this was exactly what the doctor (not DTVT) ordered! Classic progressive rock with excellent use of wind instruments. Those wind instruments are far from my favorite thing about this song, though, and that's a testament to how strong all the other components are. What really stands out to me is the incredibly hooky little vocal melodies, 'foo ooo oo oo ooh oh ooool', etc.

jingle.boy Damian Wilson- Commune
Once again, we find you right underneath RJ. Firstly, Damian Wilson is one of my favorite vocalists around today (Daddy Fucking Loves You  :heart), so good on you for introducing me to this one. The music, however, is not at all what I was expecting. It's not bad, per say, but I'm also not sure its the best fit for his vocal style. It's just a little uncomfortably poppy, and that's so far from what I've come to expect from DW. With all that being said, it's still a fun song and catchy as all get out.

Elite Focus- Hocus Pocus
First thing that stood out to me was that this is a fantastic guitar song. Next was that it was a fantastically strange yodeling song. The former had me really excited, and the latter had me contorting my face to try to find out if I liked it. I've decided that I do. It's one part experimental, one part catchy, and ten parts playful. My issue with this song is less to do with the yodeling, but rather with the sinking feeling in my gut that says it hasn't really gone anywhere. The song runs around like a maniac, no doubt having a lot of fun, and that's great for a little while. Ultimately, however, it strikes me as being directionless, and that leaves a lot to be desired.

DocTorVT Peter Gabriel- Sledgehammer
Here's another very poppy one. And you're right, it's not bad. It's easily the most catchy song from this round, and I appreciate that. As a result it got a lot of the repeat-listening treatment. What I found out when I broke that repetition, however, was that I didn't necessarily feel drawn back to the song for its music. PG has a great voice, and it's easily the greatest selling point on this song. Everything else is good, but not great, as far as I can tell. I'm not a big fan of pop music, however, when it's all said and done. Even when it's good, like this one, it's unlikely to keep my interest enough to draw me back for more.

LieLowTheWantedMan System of a Down- Peephole
You're right, I have heard a song (or maybe two) by SoaD. I believe it was Lonely Day, and I used to enjoy that one quite a bit. Maybe it's just that my tastes have changed, but this one isn't nearly as appealing to me. It's got some nice things going on, but nothing to get me thinking or feeling. I guess it might be trying to evoke anger/irritation, but that's not really something I'm into right now. I'll take sadness any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Speaking of which, I'm going to toss an extra point your way right now for the American Football track you sent last round. I've been listening more, and now gotten the full album, and there's no doubt in my mind that you deserved more than you got.

Shadow Ninja Shining- I Won't Forget
Sorry pal, but I don't 'get' this one. At all. It reminds me a little bit of a more toned down version of The Dillinger Escape Plan, by which I mean slower and less aggressive. The thing about aggressive though, for me, is that it often doesn't work as well when there's no contrast through which I might be able to make the transition. On the whole this song lacks the appropriate amount of dynamics to keep my interest.

Standings:
jingle.boy 26+5=31
Dr. DTVT 24.5+3=27.5
black_floyd 20+7=27
lonestar 20+6=26
Elite 20.5+4=24.5
Dark Castle 15.5+8=23.5
LieLowTheWantedMan 19.5+3=22.5
Shadow Ninja 17+1=18

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
I knew someone would send Jethro Tull this round, I'm just surprised it wasn't me!  :lol  It was on the tip of my mouse to click send on Living in the Past.

Totally get what you're saying about Damian Wilson - his solo stuff is a complete 180 from the other bands/projects he fronts.  It does take some getting used to.

Great choice by Elite... excellent tune.

Once again, we find you right underneath RJ.

Until you go to the rankings.  :neverusethis:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »