Author Topic: Senecadawg's Roulette (Final Results Posted)  (Read 39344 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (Round 4 Results Posted)
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »
Unlike you, who's shaking on your couch!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2014, 09:39:36 PM »
Oh man Floyd, you're being threatened by a Canadian. You must be shaking in your boots....

Word. I'm terrified aboot it. And lol Chad.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »
Unlike you, who's shaking on your couch!

Nah, I hit stasis mode around noon Friday. I am almost one with the couch now.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
Looks like I've got everyone's submission now. I'll listen for another couple days and get the results in no later than midweek
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »
Midweek is here, so here are your results as promised. I unfortunately have very little time to give you decent explanations for what I liked or disliked, so I'll just keep it simple. I enjoyed ALL of these songs, to some degree, and the top 3 or 4 will definitely be checked out more in-depth once I've got this roulette wrapped up.

1. lonestar Destrage- Destroy Create Transform Sublimate
Very fun song, and aggressive in the sense that it jumps all over the place with great vigor while still maintaining a seemingly strong focus. And that outro is absolutely stellar. Thank you

2. black_floyd Byzantine- Ancestry of the Antichrist
Great riffs, great vocals, excellent guitar solo, nice melodies, and just the right amount of aggression. Also really like that it doesn't get stuck at any point. Great pacing, with an effective breather at just the right moment. All around very good song. Thank you

3. Elite Firewind- Into the Fire
This is what power metal is all about, for me. It's fast, energetic, fun, and has great soaring vocals. Not much more to say about this one. I enjoyed it a lot, and look forward to checking out more by Firewind. Thanks

4. jingle.boy Frameshift- Human Grain Pt 1: Absence of Empathy
Here's one that I imagine may sound better within the context of the album. It's good nonetheless, but it does feel like an interesting opener and that really leaves me wanting more. Still, interesting choice that I look forward to checking out more in the future. Thanks

5. Dr. DTVT Dethklok- Laser Cannon Deth Sentence
This was a fun one for me, though I'm still not sure I understand the concept behind Dethklok (I'd only ever heard the name before, and didn't realize it was some sort of fantasy band). My only complaint would be that it sounds like the kind of music I might find in an overly aggressive video game, and that's nothing I enjoy too much.

6. Shadow Ninja Dillinger Escape Plan- Panasonic Youth
No doubt about it, this song is incredibly aggressive. It reminds me of Converge, which can be a good thing, when I'm incredibly angry. Unfortunately, the rest of the time, when I'm not so pissed off with the world, it doesn't work quite as well.

7. LieLowTheWantedMan Dillinger Escape Plan- I Lost My Bet
The only reason this one landed lower on the rankings is because I used Shadow Ninja's one-time advantage from the first 2 rounds after I wiped the slate clean. Anyhow, everything I said there ^^^ still stands for this one.

8. Dark Castle Slutcum & Gather
You're all over the place man. You seem to consistently send me songs that are either my favorite or least favorite in their respective rounds. Not sure what to say about this one, other than that while it certainly fulfills the theme requirement it doesn't get me too excited. Not dynamic enough, I guess… I'm sure you'll do better next round.

I'm also awarding a few extra half-points to people who submitted songs that have grown on me a significant amount since their submission.

Standings:
jingle.boy 18
Dr. DTVT 16.5 (for Dimmu Borgir, would have been a great one for this round)
black_floyd 14
lonestar 14
Elite 13
Shadow Ninja 12
Dark Castle 11.5 (Circle Takes the Square. Looking back, this is one of the best submissions of the whole show)
LieLowTheWantedMan 11.5 (Thank You Scientist, thank you LieLow)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »
I figured that was a risky choice, but oh well :P
I'm more about showing you a bunch of my interests and seeing what sticks. It works sometimes and sometimes it falls flat but that's okay :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Booyah!!!!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
I was considering Firewind too.  Well, guess my smack didn't get laid too much.  Still in the lead though, so I got that going for me (for the moment).

Got a theme for this round?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (Round 5 Results Posted)
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »
Yeah, this round I am looking for a LOVE SONG

Take that however you will, and get it to me before the end of Monday (at the latest).

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Haha yeah I wasn't too sure about mine. But oh well. :lol Glad Thank You Scientist grew. :tup

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2014, 05:58:45 PM »
Yeah, this round I am looking for a LOVE SONG

Take that however you will, and get it to me before the end of Monday (at the latest).
You're goint oto fall so oooooooo in love with me it'll be ridiculous
Ijust came out toajll ofm y friends as trans so I"m feeling pretty lovey doevey. JUust wait to fall tin love with me .olol.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
Are you drunk, DC?  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
Of course I am Lucien. I aced my two final projects for one class, and only have a review for my other class which has a final on saturady tomorrow. I'm ogonna drraaaaaaaaaaaaank.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »
Good to hear, hopefully all that love rubs off in your song choice

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
Hopefully I'll get a song sent. I may just keep sending empty emails. Haven't decided yet. :P

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
Good news is that I have quickly settled on a song.  Too bad you are going to have to wait until I turn on my computer to send you the file.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2014, 05:45:43 AM »
I'm in... although I think it's a bit of a risk.  Arguably the best song by this band, but not the most 'accessible'.  Oh well, a card laid is a card played.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2014, 05:57:01 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »
Hopefully I'll get a song sent. I may just keep sending empty emails. Haven't decided yet. :P

So I did get your third email, which seems to have some sort of file, but it's not letting me play it. Not sure what the problem is  :-\... Is this song on Spotify or Youtube?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
Possibly. I thought I shared it via Google Drive, but it may not have worked correctly. I'll try to get a YouTube link.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »
Got it now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »
Everybody in?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Nope. Still need Lonestar, Elite, and b_f. They have 24 hours before the 5 day limit is reached and they start losing testicles.  :police:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »
Nope. Still need Lonestar, Elite, and b_f. They have 24 hours before the 5 day limit is reached and they start losing testicles.  :police:

But I have it on good authority that Elite doesn't have testicles.  What are your threatening him with?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »
Sending now man, sorry for the delay. Been a hell of a week or two.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2014, 06:31:16 AM »

But I have it on good authority that Elite doesn't have testicles.  What are your threatening him with?

How the hell do you know? You haven't been with my girlfriend, have you?

Deciding between a couple of songs right now and sending shortly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
Because your girlfriend has your testicles?

Sending now man, sorry for the delay. Been a hell of a week or two.

No worries, we're all good!

Only one submission left...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
:bump:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Eh Nelly, u git my trak?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
YESSIR!

It's 2:30 and I just finished a nice long paper. I've gotten through the sleepy wall so I'm debating getting the results out right now… hmm.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:50 AM »
:)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2014, 01:49:01 AM »
Ah okay, what the hell. I'll do it for you, LieLow.

I'm going to preface this by saying that this was, by far, my favorite round of the roulette thus far. I enjoyed every song quite a bit, and the top 5/6 are all spectacular in their own way. As a result, I'm going to screw the normal scoring and do something a little different with the rankings I've decided on. HERE WE GO!

Tie at the top:
Dr. Strangelove Big Big Train- The Lovers
Big Big Train is a band that I've had sitting on my list for a while, but haven't ever really checked out. Definitely not this song, so fair game. With that being said, it's not entirely fair to the rest of the contestants, because this song is so damn good. The music glides, bounces, soars, grooves, and does everything else I could hope for in a progressive rock salad. Adding to that, the vocals fit perfectly, the keyboard work is astonishing, and the lyrics are very intriguing. Not much more for me to say. Reminds me of old progressive rock music that has somehow been sent through a time vortex and then delivered to me from the future. 

jingle.tits Nightwish- Ghost Love Score
This one just makes me smile uncontrollably. Symphonic metal is something I tend to stay away from normally, as I often find the 'symphonic' half of that to be a silly cheese fest. With that being said, I think that operatic female vocals work much better in the context of this music than anything else I've ever heard from the sub genre. Speaking of vocals, I do think I prefer the newer singer, though that may just because I got a good look at her in the live video, which I thought was an overall better production than the studio version. Regardless, both appeal to me a great deal. As much as I love the first half, the final four and a half minutes take things to another level. And you're right, she is a looker!

The next level:
Elite The Fall of Troy- Quarter Past
Fear not, this one did work! I'll admit, I was a bit apprehensive about the vocals when they first made their appearance. Then I listened a few more seconds, got to the chorus, and realized that I couldn't care less. You've successfully sent one of the most catchy songs of the roulette, and the one that I listened to the most throughout the round (for that I'll toss you an extra half a point). Still, even though I kept getting it stuck in my head, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the two up there ^^^.  Not sure why, to be honest. It is a little raw, which might have something to do with it, but that's also something that turned me on to it. Ah well… Great song regardless.

LieLowTheWantedMan
I'm not going to dwell on the details. Suffice it to say that I was almost compelled to cry, several times, while listening to this song. I know… reading that and seeing where you landed in the rankings must feel pretty underwhelming. Sorry about that, I just need a little more time to process what I'm listening to. Like you mentioned, the guitar is fantastic. The lyrics connected with me on a very personal level a couple nights back, and I realize now that's because you sent me the best love song of the round. Surprising, given that it's all about losing of love. I guess it just got me thinking, perhaps love never hits as hard as in the moments when it feels like you're losing your grip. I don't know what the hell I'm saying, to be honest. But thank you anyways. I'm very grateful.

The next level:
black_floyd Stone Temple Pilots- Still Remember
I wasn't very excited about the song after the first listen. Wasn't too excited about it the second time either. Third time I enjoyed it more. Now, after about a dozen, I feel like I can safely say I enjoy this song quite a bit. Perhaps a touch too grungy for me, if I'm being honest, but still a nice listen. Also a little repetitive, but I don't think that takes away from the song one bit. A little short, too, but I don't think it would work if it was much longer. Not much more for ya…   :D

bone star Dream the Electric Sleep- To Love Is To Leave
I feel bad having this one land so low on the rankings, because I really did enjoy it. First couple minutes are fantastic. But for some reason, I can't shake the feeling that it never really gets off the ground. At least, not as high as I would have expected given the 8 minute length. Also, while the chorus is really nice, it kind of just flows right in at the same pace as everything else. That's how I would describe the song in one word, if I had to. Flowing. It just kind of flows along very peacefully. The guitar solo is really nice. Unfortunately it doesn't really ever push the envelope into greatness. Even with about 3 minutes left, when they start to mix it up a bit more, it continues to plod along at the same pace. I'm comfortable saying that there is nothing bad about this song. It's all good. Very good in some parts. I just feel like it leaves a a lot to be desired.

The rest…
Shadow Ninja Entwine- Until the End
I like one of the two vocalists, and dislike the other one. Unfortunately that kind of ruins half the song for me. I'll give you a hint, it's the man. It's also a bit lodestar's submission, in that I'm not sure it really goes anywhere, even given it's almost 7 minute runtime. It's not too late for you to get back in the race, I believe in you. You have sent some of the most fantastic songs over the course of the roulette, and I have faith that you're not done yet. This one just wasn't one of them, for me.

Dark Castle Unknown Hinson- Polly Urethane
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin I'm sorry, but I don't like this song. But the lyrics were fantastic, and I thank you for that.

Standings:
jingle.boy 18+8=26
Dr. DTVT 16.5+8=24.5
Elite 13+7.5=20.5
black_floyd 14+6=20
lonestar 14+6=20
LieLowTheWantedMan 11.5+8=19.5
Shadow Ninja 12+5=17
Dark Castle 11.5 +4=15.5

I realize it looks like Chad and Mason might be getting ahead of you all, but all it takes is one round for them to slip up and its anyone's game. I'll post a theme for the next round tomorrow morning after I've slept on it a bit.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (RESULTS)
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2014, 01:55:26 AM »
Glad you connected with the song dude. :D They're a great band for that sort of thing. Only have one full-length album and an EP unfortunately, but they're great.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (RESULTS)
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:50 AM »
Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking both of those out