Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.  (Read 11178 times)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Top 10, nearly free.
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:24 AM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2014, 03:48:26 AM »
But I'm curious, what ADOTE song could be left after BAI?
BMUBMD, of course.
But of course!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: *hits itself* How could I forget this masterpiece??? Worthy pick! That solo is one of JP greatest and the return of Myung pen is always welcome!

I'm probably off again, but since I don't see Far From Heaven on the list I'm going to go with that!

If it's On The Backs Of Angels or Lost Not Forgotten I'll walk away immediately.

Well..

6. Lost Not Forgotten- A Dramatic Turn Of Events
An epic novel no one's read
Pages torn and faded
The greatest story never told

I must be the only person to rate this song this highly, and to this day I can't tell you why it is. Lyrically, it's nothing that special, but in someway, it preaches to my love of writing of epic storylines and grandeur landscapes. Of lost worlds that the pen doesn't touch anymore. Musically, however, I can go into more detail. The piano intro is great, it's actually something I kind of wish more for in Dream Theater is a piano intro into a heavy song. The juxtaposition is very nice and can really add to a song like this! The bass especially in the build up to the first vocal passage is the main highlight, some complex shit that I just had to make a gif out of to show what awesomeness it has!

But during the instrumental breakdown, the keys/guitar section is energetic, it's a bit wacky and it makes you just want to rock the hell out! James is a monster during this track and it has to be my second favourite 21st century performance from the man! He's just going for it, start to finish and man oh man..

#5 will be up this evening so what are your thoughts that I am Lost, but not forgotten? :D
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2014, 06:31:01 AM »
*With Darth Vader's voice*

NOooOoOoOooooOooOooOOOO!!

Ok, I'm exaggerating but why??? Ok, the song rocks live but it's so... meh... to be Top 6. Top 50 it's ok, but this high... :-\

What would you saaaaayyyy
If I walked awaaaaayyyy

:P

Ok, I'll stay, only to see the end of it :corn

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
I promise, there's nothing like LNF left in the top 50! ... Well.. Well, I only got one DT song left in the 21st century so if people wanna make guesses, try  ;D
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
One of their worst songs.

:corn

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2014, 03:17:40 AM »

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
I don't really care much about Lost Not Forgotten. Breaking All Illusions is a stronger piece overall IMO.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
That bass clip is like  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
While it wouldn't be number 6 on my list, or, hell, even a top 50 song, I do think that Lost Not Forgotten is a lot better than many think.  I could have done without the tickle section, but everything else about the song is pretty great.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2014, 12:18:34 AM »
While it wouldn't be number 6 on my list, or, hell, even a top 50 song, I do think that Lost Not Forgotten is a lot better than many think.  I could have done without the tickle section, but everything else about the song is pretty great.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »
*With Darth Vader's voice*

NOooOoOoOooooOooOooOOOO!!

Ok, I'm exaggerating but why??? Ok, the song rocks live but it's so... meh... to be Top 6. Top 50 it's ok, but this high... :-\

What would you saaaaayyyy
If I walked awaaaaayyyy

:P

Ok, I'll stay, only to see the end of it :corn

I'm sorry, but Darth Vader never shouted that word. I think you must be mistaken.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

The tickle section is by far the only interesting part of the song.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
5. The Killing Hand- When Dream And Day Unite/Live At The Marquee
I'm in the valley
And the saddened chimes I hear
Race towards the wall to find
one more name appears

"Which version are you going to put, Gentleman?"
"I don't know, Mr Dread. I just do not know. They both have their own merits, do they not?"
"Well, most people prefer the Live at Marquee version because James sings maginificentally well on it."
"Ah, but the bass sound on the original is just superb, and Dominici gives a stunning performance as well."
"Hmm, indeed.. But whatever shall be done for the list, for the three to five people who actually care?"
"... Why not both?"

It was extremely difficult picking which one would make the list here. Let's run down why I like the original. The bass tone is phenominal on this, as is the performance given to us by Dominici. He gives his all, he works his style into something suiting of a story piece song, and the pacing feels excellent. The guitar and keys performance and mixing here is actually rather cool to listen to hear.

Why the live version? Some Canadian by the name of James LaBrie makes the song HIS. Like, the performance on it is one of the few times I love the live version as much as the studio version (Shattered Fortress earlier is one where I prefer the live to the studio). Instrumentation wise, it's just as top minus the bass tone, but then that's a point in the favour of the studio..

Lyrically, it does feel like Dream Theater's first grand story epic, telling of great tales. It's probably one of the finer lyrical pieces Dream Theater have done, and the musicality to it is excellent to me.  But then, it's number 5. It feels special, in any form, it feels like you're being taken along for a journey..

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
Charlie's performance is probably the best one on the record, but James' live performance blows it out of the water though. I love the song.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
Two months and this is still happening? I'm glad that no one is waiting to do their list.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
I like taking my sweet time.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
Alright, I'll consider that the hurry up signal, however indirect it may have been.

4. Space Dye Vest- Awake
And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend
And I'll never be open again
And I'll have no more dreams to defend
And I'll never be open again

If there was a fitting swansong for a person leaving a band, it would be Space-Dye Vest for Kevin Moore. Haunting, confessional and personal, the piano is awesome, the vocal performance is just perfect and it is one of the best songs ever composed. But I can't help but think it's more of a Moore song than a DT song, and really, that's why it's 4th. But just go and listen to it. Just sit back, listen. Let it flow over you. Let it into you.

And it will be cruel to you.

3. In The Presence of Enemies- Systematic Chaos
Angels fall
all for you
heretic
Demon heart
bleed for us

A Journey. Start to end. It's a story, it tells you from death to life to regret. It's my favourite DT Epic. Why though? It's not the epicness of Octavarium, it's not the personal anguish journey of A Change of Seasons. Nor the mental battles of Six Degrees of Inner Turbelence. But instead, it tells the epic tale of a man ressurected by the dark forces, who journies to the forces home and is welcomed, but regret flows through him. It is musically, fitting to be an epic, James LaBrie's performance is the greatest on this epic to me than any other one he has participated on.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »
I had SDV at 3rd and ITPOE at 1st place, can't complain here.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
I don't get it. You hold WDADU in such high esteem that I HAVE to disagree with the list but then you make me happy by including SDV and ITPOE in the top 5.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »
I'd switch those choices, but they are good choices overall.

Offline Onno

« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:25 AM »
Can't really complain, SDV is one of the best songs on Awake and ITPOE is the best song on SC. Both were ranked quite highly in my top 50 as well.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »
Space Dye Vest should be retitled Space Dye Fuckyeah.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
Space-Dye Vest is both a great and unusual Dream Theater song, and the perfect manifesto for Kevin Moore's departure. A wonderful one-off, but it's precisely the reason Moore Theater could never have lasted. Once was enough.

It wouldn't be anything like as high as it's listed, here, but I have a ton of affection for it.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
2. Home- Scenes of a Memory
The city- It calls to me
Decadent scenes from my memory
Sorrow- Eternity
My demons are coming to drown me

The start of the second half of Metropolis Pt 2, and what a bloomin' tune we begin with. The first thing that become apparent is the bass, and what a bass start we have here. It's low, it's mysterious, and then we get that foreign sounding thing over the bass and it is unique, it's awesome. (Probably keys, but then I've been wrong before on that front so) Then, WABAM, in comes that keys, in comes the guitar, and you're being assualted from this heavy riffing. And then a bit way into the song... SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE. James, on point and on form in this song, but this entire song has both reference to Metropolis Part 1 and uniqueness to it. With that almost orential sounding moments during the song, it makes the big instrumental passage something new and unique into the Dream Theater catalog, and that's why it's number 2. Because it's unique. It's awesome. It rocks out. But what's #1? What oh what..

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »
 :metal Number 2 is exactly where I'd put Home. It's such an amazing song that definitely deserves top 5. Every band member shines on this song. WOMP WOMP

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »
Home :hefdaddy

Not a second I don't love it and one of SFAM's true gems.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
What I love about Home the most is the guitar solo bit at 10:23. Just monstrous.

Offline Onno

« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:48 AM »
Home is epic, but IMO the sex bit is unnecessary and ruins the buildup.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »
Home is epic, but IMO the sex bit is unnecessary and ruins the buildup.

I'd wish they'd had pick.. better sex samples there.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
I've always loved that hot, steamy, indian atmosphere on Home.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
1. Trial of Tears- Falling Into Infinity
Still awake
I continue to move along
Cultivating my own nonsense
Welcome to the wasteland
Where you'll find ashes, nothing but ashes
Still awake
Bringing change, bringing movement,
Bringing life
A silent prayer thrown away,
Disappearing in the air
Rising, sinking, raining deep inside me
Nowhere to turn,
I look for a way back home

It was the months before Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I was in a Secondary School called Chaucer Tech School (soon to be RIP) and my music taste was on the verge of changing. From bands like Oasis, Coldplay, Keane and The Verve (I still like some of them), I was moving into different bands. Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin (Who I've now moved on from as well) . King Crimson. My friend, Mr Sketchy, was some of the main reasoning into getting into these bands, introducing me through ways he knew I'd like them. From Brain Damage to 21st Century Schizoid Man, I was being dragged into a different music world that I didn't even know existed. But before most of these things happened, there was a catalyst, something that made the change.

Sketchy sent me one song, a song by the name of A Change of Seasons, and I was blown away by it. After some listening to it, I brought two songs after this. Peruvian Skies. Somewhere, even after 20 listens between the both of them, I wasn't quite hooked yet. It needed something special, to really give me the push into becoming a full fan. I clicked on the second song I brought. And after thirteen minutes, I was in. Dream Theater hit and for the next 4 hours, I listened to the song that has made my number 1. Trial of Tears. To me, I never understand why people don't like this song. It's perfection. The mellow opening, into the bass, into the soft vocals, into the band coming in, James coming in. From there, we repeat a bit, and then we start becoming grandeur again, we get into the keys. We get into the section where it washes over you, where your ears become nothing but the source for pleasure as the band get into a groove, get into a rocking..

And then, the final section. The Wasteland. I can not not sing along. I can not not let James LaBrie sing the beautiful words of John Myung at me. It is perfection. It explodes into the grand ending, James singing so loud, the band playing just so loudly and then.. we reprise the beginning keyboard sound, the small drum noise.. Then we're done. Perfect. I sat there, stunned. Shocked. I didn't know that music this beautiful, this awesome even existed at this point. I hit play again. It was just as perfect the second time. The third time. The hundredth time. It was the very best song I had ever heard at that point, and it might even still be.

When I made the decision that I was, for the first time, going to see Dream Theater, I was anxiously awaiting the setlist arrival, because of some talk that it might have been static. Songs revealed.. and then Trial of Tears was revealed and I just sat in awe they might be playing it again. Come around to February 14th, they began. It played just as well live as it did in those private concerts I had with headphones, with speakers, on car trips and study breaks. It was perfect to me. I sat there, on the upper right balcony of Wembley Arena.. and I cried tears of joy. It was just perfect to me. My first Dream Theater experience was just perfect for me, no matter what else happened that night. But you know what?

It might even be my favorite song of all time.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
50. A Change Of Seasons
49. Prophets of War- Systematic Chaos
48. The Looking Glass- Dream Theater
47. The Shattered Fortress- Black Clouds and Silver Linings
46. In The Name of God- Train of Thought
45. Behind The Veil- Dream Theater
44. Bombay Vindaloo- Live At The Marquee
43. Bridges In The Sky- A Dramatic Turn of Events
42. Only A Matter of Time- When Dream and Day Unite
41. Just Let Me Breathe- Falling Into Infinity
40. Forsaken- Systematic Chaos
39. The Root of All Evil- Octavarium
38. Outcry- A Dramatic Turn of Events
37. The Glass Prison- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
36. Vacant- Train of Thought
35. The Spirit Carries On-Metropolis Pt 2
34. Light Fuse and Get Away- WDADU
33. Blind Faith- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
32. The Dance Of Eternity- Metropolis Part 2
31. A Fortune In Lies- When Dream and Day Unite
30. One Last Time- Metropolis Part 2
29. Metropolis Part 1- Images and Words
28. Beneath The Surface- A Dramatic Turn of Events
27. The Mirror- Awake
26. Wait For Sleep- Images & Words
25. Anna Lee- Falling Into Infinity
24. The Count Of Tuscany- Black Clouds And Silver Linings
23. Eve- Non Album stuff
22. The Dark Eternal Night- Systematic Chaos
21. Take The Time- Images and Words
20. Status Seeker- When Dream and Day Unite
19. Misunderstood- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
18. Disappear- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
17. Lifting Shadows off A Dream- Awake
16. Peruvian Skies- Falling Into Infinity
15. Learning To Live- Images and Words
14. New Millennium- Falling Into Infinity
13. Stream of Consciousness- Train of Thought
12. Enigma Machine- Dream Theater
11. Illumination Theory- Dream Theater
10. Finally Free- Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
9. The Ones That Help To Set The Sun- When Dream and Day Unite
8. Lines In The Sand- Falling Into Infinity
7. Breaking All Illusions- A Dramatic Turn of Events
6. Lost Not Forgotten- A Dramatic Turn of Events
5. The Killing Hand- When Dream and Day Unite/Live At The Marquee
4. Space Dye Vest- Awake
3. In The Presence of Enemies- Systematic Chaos
2. Home- Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
1. Trial Of Tears- Falling Into Infinity

Offline Onno

« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
Trial of Tears is absolutely amazing and by far the best song on FII. It's one of my favourite DT songs as well. A nice #1 and an interesting list!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
Yussssss! Trial of Tears is my number 1 as well, absolutely amazing amazing amazing song!!!!!!!

:hifive:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »
Very nice update #1.(TOT is my top 2-6 DT songs) :)