Author Topic: MLB 2014 v. GIANTS LAY PIPE ON MLB 2014 WORLD SERIES STYLE  (Read 62321 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: MLB 2014 v. Tim Lincecum Lays Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »
Speaking of the Mets, I was in Citi Field on Wednesday for the Braves/Mets... and I should've gone the next day! :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2014, 12:23:20 AM »
They have more infirmed than than the North during the Civil War, yet despite their decimated ranks, my beloved Reds keep finding ways to win. Used our seats today and cheered Johnny Baseball to win #10, and saw the Cuban Missle touch 103mph as he struck out the side in the 9th. Despite sweltering heat and an hour rain delay during a downpour, it was a great day for beisbol. Bring on the All-Star break baby!! And Go Frazier! in the HR Derby! 
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »
So I'm a Cubs fan...

Hopefully this will the be the last year we will be sellers at the trade deadline... I think next year we will start to contend... but this year I just hope we get to 70 wins.

That's cute. :lol :biggrin:

You'll eat your words when Bryant and Baez are called up
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
Hey Splent, how does Chicago feel about the job Theo has done?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
Lol @ Puig at the derby last night. Such a disappointment.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
I have no doubt Puig will be a perennial all-star and all-around phenomenal player for years to come, but my god he can be flat-out embarrassing sometimes.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »
I've so much about him. People ranting about how amazing he is on Facebook and what not (very common living within The Dodgers' market). Yesterday would  have been my first time watching him hit. Apparently I still have to wait. Lol.

You won't catch me watching a Dodgers game.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
The Dodgers have such amazing pitching. It's such a shame they have next to no offensive presence to show for it. They'd have a legit run at the world series if they had even 2 more remotely remarkable bats. But, as they say, pitching wins championships, and I'd love to see them make a run for it. I've been dreaming of a Tigers/Dodgers WS matchup for a long time. Both teams (aside from the Tigers this year) have had elite pitching for a while.

Seriously though, watching a Dodgers game would be worth it to see Kershaw and listen to the incredible Vin Scully commentating.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
 :millahhhh

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
I know Vin Scully is revered but I'd take the SNY crew over just him any day.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
I know Vin Scully is revered but I'd take the SNY crew over just him any day.
https://keithsfundies.com/

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
Why can't I give it cocaine?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #292 on: July 19, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Dodgers ratings are down 70% this year due to their new RSN.  It must be nice to be able to lose money and not care.  This is a huge payroll team that fought themselves back into first place, and still only 30% of L.A. gets to watch them on a regular basis.  Freakin stupid. 

And yes the Giants tumble helped that, I know. 

Hopefully the Dodgers can make some moves to really pull it together.  I heard they were looking at Papelbon.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #293 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Holy shit does the MLB has to start doing something about umpires!!

Here I am just casually watching MLB Now and they are showing the Angels game with Trout batting and then one of the most horribles calls I've ever seen for strike two: a curveball inside that barely missed the ground! A fucking ump show, I can't believe how Trout didn't blow a gasket! (gif to follow once I find one)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:26:42 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: July 26, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »
Yeah, I saw that game live, and the call was interesting, to say the least (awesome because Smyly got him to strikeout right after). Evidently the Angels broadcast was saying that it was actually a strike. But in all honesty, I've been watching baseball all season and this has been the only call so bad that it caused an uproar. One in just over half the season isn't bad at all.

Also Trout has struck out 5 times in the series against the Tigers so far (2 games) lolololol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »

GOAT

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
Trout's striking out a lot more this year than before, he's also been a ridiculous power hitter (.295 ISO) and has basically given up on stealing bases (though he's 10-10 this year).

I don't like this, you can't teach speed! I would love to see him use it while he still has it! Once the legs starts going out he can bulk up and hit homers left and right/morph into Miguel Cabrera.

EDIT: Here's the gif

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:06:13 PM by Dimitrius »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
WTF

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2014, 01:26:14 PM »
If we had a dead on shot they ball may have actually crossed the plate in the middle before tailing off AFTER heading over the plate. The location where the catcher caught it makes it look like a clear ball but with its trajectory it could very well have been close. People seem to think where the catcher catches it is where the call is. It isn't. It's where the ball crosses the plate, which is a couple feet in front of the catcher.

Was there a top down view of that same pitch?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
I was thinking that, the only it could be was if it crossed the plate, but the framing from the catcher is horrible so it doesn't help.

I haven't found one a top view of it. Here's a plot of the at bat (pitch #5 is the one in question):

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
That graph makes it look a hell of a lot closer than the GIF makes it look. The thing about Drew Smyly is he has a breaking ball that just falls out of the air. It's got TREMENDOUS late-breaking action, on top of some already impressive immediate break. It's some legitimate swing-and-miss stuff. Because of that, I'd imagine it's damn near impossible to tell where it actually is when it crosses the plate. Fortunately, most of Smyly's 11 K's that night were swinging.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
How the hell is that a strike? Did they interview the ump later? That's almost as worse as that one guy denying that pitcher a perfect game

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
Calm down, it wasn't that bad of a call. What made everyone question it was where the catcher caught it due to the break of pitch, but where a catcher catches the ball is not that the umpire is supposed to base the call on, just where the ball crosses the plate. I don't get what is so hard to understand about that.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »
As is technically Sunday, I'd like to take this quick little time to congratulate the HoF members. Congratulations Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, Frank Thomas and Joe Torre.  And congratulations especially to Greg Maddux, who I consider the greatest pitcher ever.

Quick facts about Greg Maddux (which I shamelessly ripped off from an article):

-Dale Murphy was 2-for-34 against Maddux in his career. Both hits came in the same game, a loss to Maddux and the Cubs.

-Maddux started 740 games. In 236 of them, he didn't allow a walk.

-He went to a 3-0 count to five batters in 1997. He faced 893 batters that season.

-He walked the leadoff hitter of an inning in 0.3 percent of the time

-Maddux had 24 quality starts in 25 attempts in 1994.

-He gave up as many home runs in his first five seasons with the Braves (1156 innings) as Bronson Arroyo did in 2011.

And then there's the pitching lines like this July 22, 1997 game against the Cubs: 9 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 6 K's, 0 BB on 79 PITCHES THROWN WITH 63 THROWN FOR STRIKES

Or if you're like Bill James' game score metric, this one from 2001: 9 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 14 K's on 109 pitches, 76 for strikes.

This on top of all of the stories you hear about how he predicted (to a tee!) batted balls, at bats and foul balls and how he let guys hit one ball out of the park so he can make them expect that pitch on a future at bat and get them to swing and miss because of that!

I love you Greg Maddux, please have my babies!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:55 PM »
-Dale Murphy was 2-for-34 against Maddux in his career. Both hits came in the same game, a loss to Maddux and the Cubs.

in fairness to Murph (of whom I am an unashamed apologist of the highest order), almost all of those AB's were on the backside of his career in which he had basically fallen off a cliff with regard to his hitting capabilities.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »
As is technically Sunday, I'd like to take this quick little time to congratulate the HoF members. Congratulations Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, Frank Thomas and Joe Torre.  And congratulations especially to Greg Maddux, who I consider the greatest pitcher ever.

Quick facts about Greg Maddux (which I shamelessly ripped off from an article):

-Maddux started 740 games. In 236 of them, he didn't allow a walk.

-He went to a 3-0 count to five batters in 1997. He faced 893 batters that season.

-He walked the leadoff hitter of an inning in 0.3 percent of the time

-Maddux had 24 quality starts in 25 attempts in 1994.

-He gave up as many home runs in his first five seasons with the Braves (1156 innings) as Bronson Arroyo did in 2011.

And then there's the pitching lines like this July 22, 1997 game against the Cubs: 9 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 6 K's, 0 BB on 79 PITCHES THROWN WITH 63 THROWN FOR STRIKES

Or if you're like Bill James' game score metric, this one from 2001: 9 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 14 K's on 109 pitches, 76 for strikes.

This on top of all of the stories you hear about how he predicted (to a tee!) batted balls, at bats and foul balls and how he let guys hit one ball out of the park so he can make them expect that pitch on a future at bat and get them to swing and miss because of that!

I love you Greg Maddux, please have my babies!

Pretty much all of my childhood sports memories involve Greg Maddux terrorizing the Mets. Amazing pitcher.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
Yeah, it really sucks to be a baseball fan today if you don't get the MLB network.  :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Yeah, it really sucks to be a baseball fan today if you don't get the MLB network.  :(

I'm confused.  Even the home teams in the 70's never had every game on TV.  Now there is a game on every night on TV even without the MLB Network. 

I remember the local TV station cutting in for every Carl Yastrzemski at bat when he was going for home run #400 then they went right back to the local show.

You kids have it made now.  Hell!  Download an app on your smartphone to watch!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »

I'm confused.  Even the home teams in the 70's never had every game on TV.  Now there is a game on every night on TV even without the MLB Network. 

I remember the local TV station cutting in for every Carl Yastrzemski at bat when he was going for home run #400 then they went right back to the local show.

Hey! I pay $130/year to watch baseball on the device of my choosing!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #309 on: July 27, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

It really sucks to be a Dodgers fan if you don't have Time Warner!  >:( 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »

Uh, I was referring to the induction ceremonies.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
HEY!

WE GOT CY YOUNG WINNERS OVER HERE!

Watching Braves games in the Mid-90s were glorious. Strike outs are cool, but there is something fun about watching a whole line-up just look bad at the plate for 9 innings. 

More fun stories:

* Braves catcher Eddie Pérez tells the story of Maddux intentionally allowing a home run to the Astros's Jeff Bagwell, in anticipation of facing Bagwell in the playoffs months later. Maddux felt Bagwell would instinctively be looking for the same pitch again, which Maddux would then refuse to throw.

* On another occasion while sitting on the bench, Maddux once told his teammates, "Watch this, we might need to call an ambulance for the first base coach." The batter, Los Angeles' José Hernández, drove the next pitch into the chest of the Dodgers' first base coach. Maddux had noticed that Hernandez, who'd been pitched inside by Braves pitching during the series, had shifted his batting stance slightly.

* On another occasion, a former teammate, outfielder Marquis Grissom, recalled a game in 1996 when Maddux was having trouble spotting his fastball. Between innings, Greg told Marquis, "Gary Sheffield is coming up next inning. I am going to throw him a slider and make him just miss it so he hits it to the warning track." The at-bat went as Maddux had predicted

Congratulations Greg and Tom on two stellar careers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
Greg Maddux  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:27 PM »
It's quite remarkable how we beat them in 96. That was an unbelievable team. Respect to those guys!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »
A's earlier traded for Jeff Sarmarzjia and now it looks like they'll acquired Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes for Yoenis Cespedes.

Billy Beane ain't fucking around this year!