Author Topic: Absolutely Fleetwood Mac  (Read 16813 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Absolutely Fleetwood Mac
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »
Anyone consider themselves an expert on these guys?  The little I've heard from Stevie is awesome, just wondering where I should start.  I don't mind a little Fleetwood Mac, as long as Stevies there.  Stevie is awesome  :heart
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:12:26 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Stevie Nicks, and I suppose, Fleetwood Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
Anyone consider themselves an expert on these guys?  The little I've heard from Stevie is awesome, just wondering where I should start.  I don't mind a little Fleetwood Mac, as long as Stevies there.  Stevie is awesome  :heart

greatest hits is where u should start and if u like them, go on, if you dont, its only a couple hours out of your life

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:32:21 PM »
I love Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks!

The best starting point would be the Rumours album. This has the most accesible songs. If you like this, I'd branch off to the "Fleetwood Mac" album and "Tusk" (my personal favorite!). After that, get her solo album "Bella Donna" and the Fleetwood Mac albums "Mirage" and "Tango in the Night". The rest of Fleetwood Mac albums with Stevie aren't too great in my opinion (Behind the Mask)

If you want a good live album, get The Dance DVD. This is their reunion tour, and it has some of their greatest performances ever in my opinion.

Also, try to track down some "Buckingham Nicks" stuff... its the project Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in before they joined Fleetwood Mac. Their debut (and only) album is one of my favorite albums of all time. The only thing is, it has never been released on CD. And the vinyl is obviously long out of print.... for that reason I believe it is ok to download. They also have some demos and stuff from that era which are also top-quality.

Also, I think you'll really like Lindsey Buckingham. People give him a lot of shit because he had to follow the great Peter Green, but he is one of my favorite guitar players. Heres a video of them doing the song "Big Love".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KNRVNGI4

If you want any more help, let me know! They are a great band and people put them down way too much in my opinion. Also, I got a few bootlegs and stuff I can send you from the Buckingham Nicks era if you want.

Also, in case you want to just do some songs instead of albums, heres my top 5 reccomendations for Fleetwood Mac Stevie songs:
1. Sisters of the Moon
2. Silver Springs
3. Storms
4. Beautiful Child
5. Sara

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »
Ah thats what I was after!  Thanks dude, I'll check those albums out.  I was watching a doco on the band last night and some critic dude said that Tusk was full of filler material??  Obviously you don't agree with that?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:38:40 AM »
Ah thats what I was after!  Thanks dude, I'll check those albums out.  I was watching a doco on the band last night and some critic dude said that Tusk was full of filler material??  Obviously you don't agree with that?

Well, I can certaintly understand why someone would say that. Tusk is very different from Rumours, which was the album directly before Tusk and made Fleetwood Mac a household name. Rumours was a lot of radio friendly songs (almost every song on there receives radio airplay). Because of that, the band didn't want to just make a "Rumours II"... they wanted to do something completely different. This surprised a lot of people, and as a result the album received a lot of negative feedback. Lindsey Buckingham pretty much spearheaded the whole project, and of the 20 songs on the album, 10 are his (despite that, the total running time of Stevie's 5 songs is much longer!). Lindsey's tracks are very experimental... but theres this certain charm to them. On a couple of the tracks, he uses a shoebox as percussion! On first listen, you might not really appreciate/like them (I know I didn't at first). But after a couple of listens I absolutely fell in love with them. Christie McVie's songs are also good (she's the keyboardist), but to be honest her songs are usually my least favorite off the albums (although on Tusk she has some beautiful songs... Over and Over, Never Forget, and Never Make Me Cry come to mind)

Plus, all of Stevie's songs on Tusk are great, so even if you don't like Lindsey's stuff you got 5 amazing Stevie songs (4 of the songs on the list in my other post of her best songs are from this album... Storms, Sara, Beautiful Child, and Sisters of the Moon)

Glad to help! Lemme know what you think of any of the albums when you listen to them. :)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:30:29 AM »
Awesome!  I know that my brother has Rumours on CD so I'll ask him if I can have a listen and I'll go from there like you said.  I really did not have any idea where to start, and I know this is a band with such an extensive back catalog and history etc so its good to have a bit of direction.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »
ZBomber, I humbly bow before your Fleetwood Mac knowledge.  They really are a special band with a pretty good variety of work.  I don't disagree with ZB's recommendations at all, although I will say that since they are such a tight live band, I would recommend The Dance as in intro instead of the greatest hits disk.  Although I'm more of a metalhead at heart, The Dance is one of the best live CD's/DVD's on the market, IMO. 

There was also a very good live show they did in the early '80s, if you can find it.  I remember seeing it on HBO as a kid, and that was what really got me into the band.  They were truly in their prime.  I am certain it was never an official release, but I would bet you can find it out there on Ebay or some other outlet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »
Fleetwood Mac has always been a favorite of mine... and I tend to include their ENTIRE career in that assessment.

In the 1960's they were a simply outstanding blues band, led by Peter Green.  Fleetwood and McVie were (and still are) the rhythm section, and the work of Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer also really shines.  Did you know that "Black Magic Woman" (made famous by Santana) is actually a Fleetwood Mac song (and the Mac version is FAR better IMO)?  Try and get a hold of the album "Fleetwood Mac in Chicago" to hear recording sessions from Chess Studios in Chicago, 1969... Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, Shakey Horton, and many other legends guest on the recording.  It's one of my very favorites.

After Green and Spencer departed, Christine McVie was recruited and the band still held on to bluesy roots while moving toward a melodic pop sound.  Eventually Kirwan left as well, and the band settled down with Bob Welsh.  These years are by far the most underappreciated of the band, and the albums are harder to find (ex. Mystery to Me, Penguin, Heroes are Hard to Find, etc).  But I find them to all be pretty good... not outstanding, but solid enough.

Then when Buckingham and Nicks came around, they turned to gold.  The 1-2-3 punch of Fleetwood Mac/Rumors/Tusk is one of my favorite stretches of music by anyone, ever. Tusk in particular is a top 10 or 20 album for me.  It's the "White Album" of the era.  

Most of their work after Buckingham's departure I find to be of much elsser quality, but it's still listenable!  That's what I love about the band... how they remain consistent throughout their ENTIRE career.

I'd be interested to see who else on this board appreciates the blues years....
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
There was also a very good live show they did in the early '80s, if you can find it.  I remember seeing it on HBO as a kid, and that was what really got me into the band.  They were truly in their prime.  I am certain it was never an official release, but I would bet you can find it out there on Ebay or some other outlet.

Yes, I believe it covers the "Mirage" tour... some of it is on YouTube I think.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:58:42 AM »
Just saw FM back in May.  Awesome concert.   :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:24 AM »
Fleetwood PC are better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:51:07 AM »

I have to admit, I'm not even familiar with the pre-Nicks and Buckinham material.  I like the band a lot, but can only really consider myself a fan of the hits and some of the album tracks during the hits era.  The deep cuts are pretty much off my radar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »
ZBomber, I humbly bow before your Fleetwood Mac knowledge.  They really are a special band with a pretty good variety of work.  I don't disagree with ZB's recommendations at all, although I will say that since they are such a tight live band, I would recommend The Dance as in intro instead of the greatest hits disk.  Although I'm more of a metalhead at heart, The Dance is one of the best live CD's/DVD's on the market, IMO.  

There was also a very good live show they did in the early '80s, if you can find it.  I remember seeing it on HBO as a kid, and that was what really got me into the band.  They were truly in their prime.  I am certain it was never an official release, but I would bet you can find it out there on Ebay or some other outlet.

Thank you sir. And I agree, The Dance is one of my favorite live albums, but the reason I recommended it later is because personally I enjoy knowing the studio counterparts before I listen to the live versions for any band... maybe just so I have something to compare it to. If you don't mind hearing live versions before you know the studio versions, than definietly pick it up now! The versions of Go Insane, Big Love, and Silver Springs on that show are some of the most passionate performances I have ever seen from the band. And as for the show, I think you are talking about the VHS from the Tango in the Night tour... if so I wouldn't recommend it since it was right after Lindsey left the band. Stevie and everyone else is still there, but they needed 2 guitarists to replace Lindsey's fingers/vocals. ;) And the performance isn't horrible but its also not the greatest

Fleetwood Mac has always been a favorite of mine... and I tend to include their ENTIRE career in that assessment.

As for the earlier incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, they are all pretty good. Oh Well and Rattlesnake Shake are in my top lists of songs (It was great to hear the band play Oh Well this tour!) While I'm not the biggest blues fan in the world by any mean, I really enjoy the style Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac had (plus it paved the way for another one of my favorite bands... Aerosmith). Jigsaw Puzzle Blues and Although the Sun is Shining are also excellent tunes. I know all the songs but I don't tend to listen to this era as much as Buckingham Nicks FM. Still really good stuff, just blues isn't something I'm always in the mood to listen to.

Then like you said, theres the middle incarnation that is very underappreciated. Mystery to Me, Kiln House and Bare Trees are excellent albums. Heroes are Hard to Find is ok, but in my opinion its probably the weakest album before Buckingham and Nicks came along (and also the last!). I also still have not picked up any of the cds from this era... I only have the vinyls. Really, the only incarnation of Fleetwood Mac I don't like is the ones from Behind the Mask and Time (which I've NEVER even heard anyone talk about... the album is so bad I never bought it). Say You Will was the last album released after Lindsey and Stevie rejoined the band, and while the material is ok, I have actually only listened to the whole album once (although some of the songs have been played more than once... such as Bleed to Love Her which I play quite often).

Really, the different incarnations of FM are like completely different bands. Even though the connection is still there through Fleetwood and McVie, the style of the music and most of the musicians are completely different. I didn't bother going into all of this in the original post cause I figured sneakyblueberry just wanted info on the Buckingham Nicks led FM. However, by all means check out their back catalog... you won't hear most of it on the radio (spare maybe a song or two...) but I'd say 85% of the other FM albums/material is worth your time. ;)

Also - They played Storms for the first time EVER this tour! <33 Stevie soundchecked it years before, but they finally played it live, 30 years after its original release. :) Absolutely beautiful... Storms was the song that got me into Fleetwood Mac in the first place and I'll never forget the first time I heard it/the time I saw it live.

EDIT - Also, to anyone who says Lindsey can't play with the same emotion as Peter Green... well.... kindly redirect them to this video. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhTNu6ETd3s

I wish there was a copy of that show in circulation... sadly this is the only performance from that day I've seen. :( Seemed like an amazing concert.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
One of the best 3 part harmonies out there.  Well now that Christine McVie left not so much, but the 70's were a great time where bands cared about singing as much as the music.  Melody where art thou in this millennium?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
One of the best 3 part harmonies out there.  Well now that Christine McVie left not so much, but the 70's were a great time where bands cared about singing as much as the music.  Melody where art thou in this millennium?

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories.  I bought Rumours the year it came out (77).

"When the rain washes you clean you'll know... "

You are so right about the vocal harmonies in the 70s.  The Eagles' Hotel California was also on top of the charts around the same time. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 08:05:40 AM »

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories.  I bought Rumours the year it came out (77).

You are so right about the vocal harmonies in the 70s.  The Eagles' Hotel California was also on top of the charts around the same time. 
I almost Used the Eagles in the post!  There was such a craft to vocals that is missing in most of todays music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 07:02:52 AM »

I almost Used the Eagles in the post!  There was such a craft to vocals that is missing in most of todays music.

Totally agree with this.  Lately my wife and I have been listening to a lot 70-80's bands and during 'Topaz' by the B-52's, both of us commented on how beautiful the girls' harmonies are.  So tight and right on the money, waaay back in the pre-'Cher Autotune' days where you had to actually have a bit of talent to pull off amazing harmonies like that.  Its something that is very much lacking in pop music today.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »
Rumours.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
Rumours.

Nah, nah its all true.

FOTC ftw

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
A band that has great harmonies is CPR.  Which is David Crosby(big surprise on the harmony part) and his son James Raymond and Jeff Pevar.  Hence CPR.  Also years ago David was very ill and needed a blood transfusion and his son(who he never knew) but knew about him decided to help him and donate blood and saved his life. Hence again, CPR!  Not the style of music that most would like on this board but if you love folk and harmonies, their 2 stidio albums are great. Very CSN.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
"Bare Trees" and "Hypnotized" are two of my favorite Fleetwood Mac tunes, both from the underappreciated "middle period". 

Growing up in the 70's, it was impossible to avoid Rumours material on the radio, and it got overplayed and ruined for me.  It's all great stuff, but I can't really listen to it anymore.  I lean more to the predecessor, Fleetwood Mac for that reason.

Good call on Tusk being their "White Album".  I never thought of it that way, but that's what it is.  A lot of somewhat experimental stuff, a lot of deviation from what was expected, and not all that well received because of it.  Not filler, just not as accessible, but rewarding when you dig into it.

Stevie had such a beautiful voice, and Bella Donna was a great album, but she went on that solo toured and totally destroyed that sweet, sweet voice.  I have trouble listening to anything she's done after Bella Donna.  A damned shame what she did to her voice.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
Stevie's solo career did decline pretty fast because of extreme drug usage and not actually being properly trained to sing (I've heard when she would scream at the top of her lungs at the end of Rhiannon she was doing serious damage to her voice.... multiply that by every night on tour they played).

Those two songs are great.... Hypnotized is probably the most known song from that era and was also my introduction to pre-Stevie/Lindsey FM.

Also, for anyone whos interested... I'm uploading the Fleetwood Mac show from Madison Square Garden this tour (June 11 2009). I uploaded it for a guy who asked me if I could send him it, but I figured some of you might enjoy it so I'll post it here. The files are flac.

Here is disc 1... I'll upload disc 2 as soon as it finishes uploading.
https://www.megaupload.com/?d=B6ZVMMSV

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
Thanks man!  Also, I just picked up a copy of The Dance so i'll give that a spin tonight. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
I've always thought most of their studio material was a bit too tame for me, although they have a handful of songs I really enjoy, but The Dance is a fantastic live record and DVD.  The songs just seem to have a bit more balls to them live. 

And Lindsey Buckingham is one of the most underrated guitar players ever.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 01:54:14 AM »

yes. he kills live.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 02:09:49 AM »

yes. he kills live.

Definitely. Along with Brian May, he is one of my favorite guitarists. Both are extremely underrated in my opinion (Buckingham even more so).

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 02:51:02 AM »
My sister likes FMac.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »
Make sure you borrow her albums. ;)

Heres the second disc of the NY show for those who want it... enjoy!
https://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSHDBE55

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks really helped Fleetwood Mac take off in the 70's, and it's really a bit of a shame that the earlier incarnations of the Mac are pretty much overshadowed and forgotten because of it.  One of my coworkers is a huge fan of the Peter Green band and couldn't care less about the Buckingham-Nicks band.  I don't share his sentiments, but I can certainly understand where he's coming from.  They were a completely different band.

Speaking of Buckingham-Nicks, I have that album.  It's pretty good.  Nice folksy stuff, sounds pretty much like you'd expect if you're familiar with their contributions to Fleetwood Mac in the 70's.  (Also, Stevie is naked on the cover, and she was totally hot back then.)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 02:03:30 AM »
(Also, Stevie is naked on the cover, and she was totally hot back then.)

:tup If I could go back in time, 1970s Stevie Nicks would be the one woman I would cheat on anybody for.

Plus, the stories about her!  :omg:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
Inspired by this thread, I listened to the Buckingham-Nicks album again last night, first time in like 25 years.  Wow, I'd forgotten what it was like, and hadn't realized how much they'd evolved over the years.  But it was also just as I'd remembered it somehow.  A couple of kids, making an album, the one that caught someone's attention and landed them the gig with Fleetwood Mac.  Man, Lindsey had the chops even then; the second track is a great acoustic solo.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »
Yikes! Too much good music tonight.

I'm more of a fan of the pre Buckingham-Nicks band. A lot of Peter Green's Blues stuff is just KILLER! (Solo stuff too.)

That said, Tusk is probably my favorite post-1975 Fleetwood Mac album.

I REALLY want to see Lindsay live. I LOVE his guitar work. I was going to go see him solo last October, but I needed to go see the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert (which was the same night)  instead.

I'm more of a Lindsey fan these days. I really like his solo stuff from the last several years --Under The Sun, Live at the Bass Performance Hall (CD/DVD) and The Gift Of Screws. Not that his other albums are bad either.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 07:24:14 AM »
I'm going to see them at Wembley in November - £85 for a ticket, though - WAAAY too expensive.

I love FM, and am the world's biggest Stevie Nicks fan, have been ever since I heard the Wild Heart album back in 1983. Her music is just so unlike anything else, her voice is truly unique, and she's clearly barking mad. Gypsy, Sara and Storms are probably my favourite songs.

Stevie is my ideal woman, even if she is old enough to be my Mom. (My mom was at school with Christine McVie, so technically that's true...)
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 01:58:16 AM »
Here is one of my favorite Buckingham Nicks songs... never made it to a record! Its only surfaced on bootlegs, and as far as I know there are no live recordings, but if there are I would love to hear it!

Its called The Cathouse Blues... very short, sad song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXE7We3pcRo

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
Picked up Rumours for $13.

Score.

Have been cranking The Dance pretty hard as of late, sooo good.  Although for the longest time I thought the Christine McVie songs were being sung by a man :lol