Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131749 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #1260 on: May 29, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »
Report back after you have digested Colors II. It's the tightest 80-minute album I've heard in recent years.

I will! Coincidentally, I found this album on "colored vinyl" on Amazon yesterday; I know there are plenty of colored version of the album but the page didn't say which one it is... I'm excited to see which one I got ;) But of course, I'm even more excited for that apparent 80 minute beast that is waiting to roll over me.

Enjoy the ride my friend! I’d say with the exception of the first 2 albums, all of their work is incredible! Also, I recommend you see them live (headlining) ASAP, they’re such an amazing live band.
And those first two albums, while not as incredible as the rest, still have some great songs and lots of glimmers of future awesomeness.  :metal

Alaska was my introduction to the band back in 2006 and it blew me away. I had never heard anything like that before. Then when Colors came out, I was even more blown away!

Same here, I will ;) Unfortunately, they are not touring currently, but I will try to see them ASAP.

I Colors II a good album to continue though? Does it make sense to listen to Colors I first? Based on the two albums I already know (Coma & Automata), are there other albums by the band I should continue with? Or should I stop what I'm doing and go through their discography chronologically?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1261 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:24 AM »
Maybe start with Alaska and continue chronologically from there?
Also make sure you are aware of the recent remixes. If you're a prog nerd, you'll appreciate how much more details are audible on them. But if you want to experience the albums with their original production, hunt down the originals. I vastly pefer the remixes over the original releases.

Online NoFred

« Reply #1262 on: May 29, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »
I think Colors and Colors II can be taken in any order, there’s some callbacks and similar structure that works just as well in reverse too. They work great together and are worth experiencing as a pair at some point.

Colors is probably my favorite of theirs while II is arguably just as good/more consistent.

Offline me7

« Reply #1263 on: May 29, 2022, 10:23:06 AM »
Colors was the bands breakthrough album that defined them. Afterwards, they experimented a bit and tried to lean in directions with each album (you noticed the retro prog in Coma Ecliptic). Colors II is named the way it is, because it is focused around the band's core WITH everything they learned since Colors attached on the sides BUT WITHOUT disrupting the balance. I think they reached a new plateau with it and would recommend sceptics to start with Colors II. Harsh vocals are an aquired taste and Colors II has the potential to turn many sceptical prog fans onto them.

Since you are already sold on the band, going chronologically from Alaska should be the best experience.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1264 on: May 29, 2022, 12:44:00 PM »
I started to listen to this band last year with my very first exposure being Colors II. It took me a while to have digest it and I'm still not sure if I fully did yet, but on the first listen I knew it was something amazing. Seeing as you're already familiar with them, perhaps you'll understand it faster than i did. And maybe the experience is enhanced if you heard the original Colors before it, but for me, as someone who knew nearly nothing about them when i listend to Colors II, I think that it's an excellent album that stands very well on it's own.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1265 on: May 29, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »
I honestly think it might be better to hear Colors II first and then Colors. I made a big post shortly after the album came out about how I thought the callbacks were disappointing because the moments they’re referencing from the first album were superior. But if you listen to them backwards, the opposite is true! You’ll hear stuff from Colors that you’ll recognize from Colors II, except better. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online NoFred

« Reply #1266 on: May 29, 2022, 09:36:03 PM »
Yes I think they’re really well balanced, either album order works 100%

For me peak moments are White Walls and Revolution, but may be different for others

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1267 on: May 30, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
Thanks for all the answers! I think I will try continuing with Alaska and going on chronically.

What is the overall development of their style over the albums? Has their music been progmetal all the time? I read something about metal core, which I don't really know much about. I am much more of a prog guy than a metal guy (I actually only listen to metal when it is connected to prog) and their proggier albums are the more interesting and probably more accessible ones for me ;) I going on with Alaska still a good idea?

Offline me7

« Reply #1268 on: May 30, 2022, 11:16:03 AM »
You must hear Selkies in one form or another. Just give Alaska a spin.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1269 on: May 30, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
Their first 2 albums have prog elements in them but they're not that prominent yet and that's usually why they're never labeled as prog metal but rather metalcore. I think the debut is good, The Silent Circus is better and then Alaska is really their first prog metal album IMO. However Colors forward is really where they channel that style and they get more prog with each release it feels like. I would say if you end up liking Alaska and you like the non-prog aspects of it, you could always work your way back and check out Silent Circus and the debut. However I'd probably say save those 2 for last because you're more likely to enjoy their other albums.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1270 on: May 30, 2022, 12:54:27 PM »
Guess I'm listening to Colors II tonight then  :lol  according to my last.fm I've only spun it once this year.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1271 on: May 31, 2022, 01:44:24 AM »
Alrighty then, Alaska it is  :coolio Thanks for the recommendations, I will report back with thoughts about each album  :tup

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1272 on: June 02, 2022, 11:25:23 PM »
Colors II has some of the best songs in the band’s whole discography.

I would place tracks like Human is Hell and Never Seen/Future Shock in the Top 10 BTBAM songs list.

Prehistory out-Blooms Bloom.

Double Helix of Extinction out-Foam Borns Foam Born.

Stare Into The Abyss is beautiful.

Human Is Hell is pretty much the most intense song they’ve ever written. Just literally awesome.

The Future Is Behind Us is a brilliant 80s themed homage to Owner of a Lonely Heart/Weird Science in the typical BTBAM stylings. It’s also funny as a fan of Dan, the bassist, knowing how into Oingo Boingo he is, I can see most of this composition coming from Dan.

I would die for another two-set tour: the first set being a 10th Anniversary performance of Parallax II and then set two just being Colors II.  One can dream.

I would say for newbies, the 5 essential BTBAM songs to start with would be:

Ants of The Sky
Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Mirrors+Obfuscation
Fossil Genera: A Feed From Cloud Mountain
Human Is Hell

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1274 on: February 18, 2023, 01:27:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/btbamofficial/status/1626587709929308161

What does Dusty play, and WTF does "I prerecorded my parts for the setlist so, you won't see me, but you'll hear me" mean?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: February 18, 2023, 01:29:31 PM »
He plays second/rhythm guitar.

Means he's recorded his parts for the set and it will be played through playback while the band is playing live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1276 on: February 18, 2023, 01:31:11 PM »
So they're gonna pipe in his parts? WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: February 18, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »
So they're gonna pipe in his parts? WTF??

Seems that way and just have Paul as sole guitarist on stage.  Interesting.

Offline coz

« Reply #1278 on: February 18, 2023, 02:03:32 PM »
Wow.  Anyone know what he's going through?  I had no idea he had an ongoing medical issue.  Hope he gets it resolved, regardless.   :metal
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1279 on: February 18, 2023, 02:38:30 PM »
Wow.  Anyone know what he's going through?  I had no idea he had an ongoing medical issue.  Hope he gets it resolved, regardless.   :metal

I saw them back in 2021, and Dustie had hurt his back right before the tour started so he played the whole show sitting in a chair. I guess the injury has gotten worse so he's taking some time to recuperate.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1280 on: February 19, 2023, 12:15:20 AM »
Can’t fault someone for focusing on health. Wish him well and hopefully he’ll be back soon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1281 on: February 20, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »
Whatever it takes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1282 on: March 07, 2023, 06:39:11 PM »
The guys are hitting the road in June playing Parallax II in its entirety. Got my VIP tickets for Chicago already!

https://blabbermouth.net/news/between-the-buried-and-me-announces-parallax-ii-tour-blabbermouth-net-presale-available

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1283 on: March 07, 2023, 08:27:21 PM »
I'm admittedly not too excited about Parallax II in its entirety, as I already saw them do that ten years ago, when the album was new! Time sure does fly...

That said, that lineup is excellent. Thank You Scientist is awesome and Rivers Of Nihil makes perfect sense as an opener.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:36:26 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1284 on: March 08, 2023, 01:01:01 AM »
I'm admittedly not too excited about Parallax II in its entirety, as I already saw them do that ten years ago, when the album was new! Time sure does fly...

That said, that lineup is excellent. Thank You Scientist is awesome and Rivers Of Nihil makes perfect sense as an opener.

Parallax II is probably my favourite album of theirs, I've never seen them live and I love both support acts. I really hope they bring something similar to Europe.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1285 on: March 08, 2023, 06:27:14 AM »
That's a great lineup!  I'm gonna try to hit the hometown show in Winston-Salem!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1286 on: March 08, 2023, 08:28:42 AM »
I will be at the opening date in Charleston!  This will be my 3rd time seeing them at the Music Farm, 5th overall.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1287 on: March 09, 2023, 06:36:31 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  Still going to go though and have a great time.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1288 on: March 10, 2023, 11:49:24 AM »
The first tour of Parallax II in full is still one of my favorite sets from BTBAM, so I'm thrilled to get the chance to see this incredible album performed live again, and the addition of Rivers of Nihil + Thank You Scientist might be my favorite BTBAM tour lineup to date.  :hefdaddy

Already got my tickets for Anaheim, luckily it's a saturday since i'd be coming from LA, but also thinking about flying out to Philly to see the show there too, since that's where I saw the first tour and it'd be a great time to catch up with some Philly friends  :metal

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #1289 on: March 11, 2023, 03:29:11 AM »
I think my wife and I are going to take a trip to San Antonio to check this concert out. She hates this style of music, but she'll tolerate it to have a chance to travel lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: May 02, 2023, 05:55:09 PM »
Jesus, not good if true.  Reading through it all though, seems sketchy.  The conversation between both of them just seems.......weird and off.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: May 02, 2023, 06:55:05 PM »
Jesus, not good if true.  Reading through it all though, seems sketchy.  The conversation between both of them just seems.......weird and off.

I feel bad for the victim (if true) I like BTBAM a lot, and I hope the band release their statement pretty soon, but it's not looking good for Dustie.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: May 02, 2023, 07:07:12 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: May 02, 2023, 07:13:11 PM »
Weren't they having just four of them playing with his parts pre-recorded?  Or has that been and gone? lol.

That statement certainly doesn't bode well.  Surely he can't be that stupid to rape a drunken girl and then have a text message conversation like that the next day?!  WTF?!

I love this band and feel the other four guys.  Luckily, out of all four, Dustie is by far the easiest to replace.  They might be wise to cut ties sooner than later for the good of their own brand.  Finish touring and whatever and maybe focus on the next studio recording as a four piece.  I know innocent until proven guilty, but where there's smoke there's fire, and they should just rip the band aid off quickly and move on.