Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131723 times)

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #1015 on: June 24, 2021, 11:16:46 AM »
It was confirmed to be Colors II by the Liquid Metal host right before the song premiered, I'm sure there'll be a full announcement tomorrow  :metal :metal

That’s crazy, I was not expecting that!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1016 on: June 24, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »
Colors II: This Time It's Probably Not As Good Because Nothing Else The Band Has Released Is As Good As Colors
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1017 on: June 24, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »
As someone who holds Colors in very high regard (their best album by a margin, and I still really like the other ones) I feel this might be a bit gimmicky. I doubt it will reach the levels of the first one but I'll be intrigued to see what they do.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1018 on: June 24, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »
I love Colors, but I admit to liking some of the new stuff even more. Even two years later I think the Automata albums are the best thing they’ve ever done. Parallax is probably next, then Colors.

So it depends. Automata was so good that they didn’t really *need* to do this, so I hope it’s just because they were truly “feeling it” creatively and for no other reason.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1019 on: June 24, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
It probably won't live up to Colors, but it can still be very good!  Color me intrigued :D  I love everything this band has done since Alaska (the first 2 albums aren't bad), and as they have progressed along the way.  The Great Misdirect is still my favorite album though, so I can't wait for the upcoming tour too!

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1020 on: June 24, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
Colors II: This Time It's Probably Not As Good Because Nothing Else The Band Has Released Is As Good As Colors

Honestly, I prefer every album after Colors (except Coma Ecliptic) to Colors itself. Making a sequel to Colors seems weird to me, but I imagine a new BTBAM album will still be really good no matter what it is.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1021 on: June 24, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
The Parallax II is still my favorite to this day. But Colors is my second and I’m really intrigued to see why they chose to make this a sequel. Hopefully there’s a real good reason and not just for shits and giggles.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1022 on: June 24, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
Haven't heard the new track but here's the tracklisting and preorders are up.

https://www.betweentheburiedandme.com/

Colors II

1. Monochrome
2. The Double Helix of Extinction
3. Revolution in Limbo
4. Fix the Error
5. Never Seen / Future Shock
6. Stare into the Abyss
7. Prehistory
8. Bad Habits
9. The Future is Behind Us
10. Turbulent
11. Sfumato
12. Human is Hell (Another One with Love)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1023 on: June 25, 2021, 12:43:12 AM »
New single just popped up on Tidal. Holy crap! Blake has been studying up on his Gavin Harrison-isms. I'm getting lots of King Crimson vibes from this. At the same time is sounds super fresh and unique. I think we might be in for one hell of a ride with this album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1024 on: June 25, 2021, 02:44:47 AM »
COLORS 2!? What in the actual fuck, I hope this will live up to the original :caffeine:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: June 25, 2021, 05:22:34 AM »
Interesting new track.  Looking forward to this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1026 on: June 25, 2021, 05:57:35 AM »
That new single is really good. I'm starting to think the whole "Colors II" name is only because of a similar structure of the album; judging from how this song starts and ends, it sounds like the whole album will flow together seamlessly like the original. That, and this doesn't really sound like anything from Colors, which I think is great; they're not trying to re-do Colors, but instead they're continuing to innovate and try new things. Really excited for how this one's gonna turn out!

Online faizoff

« Reply #1027 on: June 25, 2021, 06:05:26 AM »
The track 'Fix The Error' is officially on youtube now, got drumming cameos from Mike Portnoy, Navene Koperweis, and Ken Schalk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSl0qE_DSQ
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1028 on: June 25, 2021, 07:09:48 AM »
Love the new song! Can't wait for this!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1029 on: June 25, 2021, 07:37:55 AM »
That new single is really good. I'm starting to think the whole "Colors II" name is only because of a similar structure of the album; judging from how this song starts and ends, it sounds like the whole album will flow together seamlessly like the original. That, and this doesn't really sound like anything from Colors, which I think is great; they're not trying to re-do Colors, but instead they're continuing to innovate and try new things. Really excited for how this one's gonna turn out!

I was going to ask about how can Colors have a part two.

And then I started thinking and thought the same as you. The structure could be what's similar in how every song flowed into the next song.

That's actually what I liked about Colors. Except for the flow from Sun of Nothing into Ants In The Sky, as the track cut was an interesting choice to cut off at.

Haven't heard the new song yet.

Also, isn't this the first album since The Great Misdirect to not be a concept album?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1030 on: June 25, 2021, 07:41:11 AM »

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. And honestly I'm really excited for this- the single sounds incredible! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1031 on: June 25, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »
Are you guys sure that is a song? I thought it was a drum solo with somebody screaming :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1032 on: June 25, 2021, 08:42:27 AM »
Someone needs to get Tommy a new organ sound.

That lead guitar break two thirds in was very nice.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #1033 on: June 25, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »
From Paul Waggoner himself: "The songs are meant to flow in and out of each other like one big chunk of music, creating a seamless and chaotic musical journey".

They're going back to the intricate and heavy sound of Colors/The Great Misdirect/Parallax. The album will be their longest (78 minutes, with a 15 minutes closing song). Naming it Colors 2 might be a bad decision, because some people will expect it to sound exactly like Colors, which it won't, but there definitively will be throwbacks to Colors.
I think Colors is great, but overated. They showed more maturity in their harmonic and formal writing in their subsequent records. Their masterpiece is Parallax 2, so I'm perfectly fine with the new album not sounding like Colors.
If the single and the small piece of another song that has leaked (which is better than the single) and are any indication, it seems the new album is going to be a recapitulation of their whole career in a beautiful chaotic mess.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:23:40 AM by Kilgore Trout »

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1034 on: June 25, 2021, 09:28:56 AM »
From Paul Waggoner himself: "The songs are meant to flow in and out of each other like one big chunk of music, creating a seamless and chaotic musical journey".

They're going back to the intricate and heavy sound of Colors/The Great Misdirect/Parallax. The album will be their longest (78 minutes, with a 15 minutes closing song). Naming it Colors 2 might be a bad decision, because some people will expect it to sound exactly like Colors, which it won't, but there definitively will be throwbacks to Colors.
I think Colors is great, but overated. They showed more maturity in their harmonic and formal writing in their subsequent records. Their masterpiece is Parallax 2, so I'm perfectly fine with the new album not sounding like Colors.
If the single and the small piece of another song that has leaked (which is better than the single) and are any indication, it seems the new album is going to be a recapitulation of their whole career in a beautiful chaotic mess.

Yeah, I'm thinking naming it Colors 2 is part of the marketing. Because it's what sells and they noticed and saw the amount of people that were watching the Colors live stream. And then enjoying playing these Colors songs, and they felt, why not make an album that flows like one song, again.

Kind of funny if you ask me. As people will buy it for thinking it's the same as Colors. And we will buy it to see if it is like Colors and others will buy it because it's BTBAM.

I am interested to see if they do take all the new stuff they learned and incorporate it into the old style of Colors and blend them into new shades of Colors. Hence Colors 2.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #1035 on: June 25, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
I forgot: on a DT forum, there is no one to say that Mike Portnoy plays on the single?

The drum solo is actually four solos, by Blake Richardson, Mike Portnoy, Navene Koperweis and Ken Schalk.
Portnoy's solo is quite tasty.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1036 on: June 25, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
"Celebrate!....Celebrate!....Celebrate!"

That just makes me wanna kick my legs in dance.  :biggrin:

And also "If you see a rainbow, there is no tomorrow" sounds cool with those effects

Online faizoff

« Reply #1037 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »

The track 'Fix The Error' is officially on youtube now, got drumming cameos from Mike Portnoy, Navene Koperweis, and Ken Schalk.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSl0qE_DSQ

I forgot: on a DT forum, there is no one to say that Mike Portnoy plays on the single?

The drum solo is actually four solos, by Blake Richardson, Mike Portnoy, Navene Koperweis and Ken Schalk.
Portnoy's solo is quite tasty.

Just a few posts above yours.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1038 on: June 25, 2021, 12:35:30 PM »
Haha this is awesome! I don't care if they call every album Colors or whatever if it's as fun as this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: June 25, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »

While it doesn't really sound like Colors, there was a riff in that song after the solo I think that's a dead ringer of a White Walls riff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1040 on: June 26, 2021, 05:27:17 PM »
OMG…they are playing TGM all the way through on the new tour!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1041 on: June 29, 2021, 12:40:49 AM »
Is it me or there are some Ants of the Sky riffs thrown in the new single?
I am totally sure that the melody played on 0:23, 1:06 & 2:20, is the same one played at the beginning of AOTS("... more jagged than normal" at 0:10).
After all it is Colors II and I think we will find revisits throughout the album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1042 on: June 29, 2021, 07:22:01 AM »
This is going to be awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1043 on: July 23, 2021, 08:51:38 AM »
HAH. So they released a new single today and they did the usual Spotify thing where they added a new "EP" with the new single first and then the previous single right afterwards. I think that's usually just done to squeeze out some extra plays or whatever. I was thinking to myself, "what if that's actually the sequence on the album..." and sure enough the ending of Revolution In Limbo directly segues into Fix The Error just like something from Colors would. Well fucking played.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1044 on: July 23, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
Glad to see Dear Hunter rubbed off on them a bit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: July 26, 2021, 05:49:49 AM »
New song is awesome.  Really looking forward to this album.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1046 on: August 09, 2021, 05:43:22 AM »
Damn, missed Revolution In Limbo on Spotify until now. Fix The Error was really cool but def wanted a just hard hitting blast of my face song. I got it!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: August 09, 2021, 05:51:21 AM »
Damn, missed Revolution In Limbo on Spotify until now. Fix The Error was really cool but def wanted a just hard hitting blast of my face song. I got it!  :metal

Yeah, what a great track.  Really pumped for this album.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1048 on: August 09, 2021, 05:57:13 AM »
Strange that there a no reviews yet.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1049 on: August 10, 2021, 03:09:28 AM »
Revolution In Limbo has been on repeat! What a beast of a song! The trade of vocals are heavy as hell  :hefdaddy

It does remind me a lot of Parallax 2 and Lay Your Ghosts To Rest actually but in a Colors way. Not that this is a bad thing. Parallax 2 is amazing. Anyway hope that the rest of the songs sounds like this and this will be some of the best material BTBAM has put out!