Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129180 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #945 on: July 14, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
Yea, I know what you mean. I will probably listen to both back to back later. I'm sure I'll dig it more as one full album so I agree I'd prefer if it were released as such. I'm pretty sure when I rank my albums this year I'll count it as one album.

After a few listens I'd say I prefer part 2 by a fair bit. I know there's only 4 songs but I like each of them quite a bit. Maybe I've just given it it's first listens whilst in a musically receptive mindset. It'll likely make my top 10 of the year easily.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #946 on: July 14, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »
It's the vinyl feel they were going for. Both these would actually equal two Vinyl records. Which I don't mind if bands are deciding to relive this option. It works, makes me feel like I'm back in the '70's era.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #947 on: July 14, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
And I say again, it is a cast-iron certainty that around 6 months from now, just in time for the Christmas market, a new "Special Edition" of this album will be released, with both parts put together, to milk it one last time.

Exactly. It's like they want us to pirate music these days.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #948 on: July 14, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
i mean, i prefer two short albums to one overly long one, personally

i feel coma and parallax 2 are both too long & i never revisit them, technically automata is about the same length as coma but 1. automata I imo makes for a fine standalone record on its own and 2. a 35 min album is way easier to digest than a 70 min one, absolutely

Offline jammindude

« Reply #949 on: July 14, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »
I don’t get the claim  of it feeling like half an album at all. Yes, Blot  does and rather suddenly, but that just makes it feel even more “cliffhanger” to me. Not story wise maybe (I haven’t investigated the story enough to be sure) but the song itself absolutely does NOT feel like a “middle of the album” track to my ears AT ALL. It feels like an epic album closer with a sudden ending that leaves you with a feeling of wanting to know what’s next.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #950 on: July 15, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »
The Grid is a closer. Option Oblivion/Life on Velvet is an epic two-part closer, as is Silent Flight Parliament/Goodbye to Everything Reprise.

Blot just pales compared to these examples. To feel like a cliffhanger, it would need to up the stakes musically before it cuts off. Teasing the insanity of Voice of Trespass before it stops abruptly would be a good cliffhanger. Blot was not written to finish a disc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #951 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
I really don't care about the cash part of it at all. The whole "time to digest" thing is a bit much, yes, but I'd have been in agreement if they had said "Part II really doesn't sound anything like Part I", which is true.

I love the hell out of it though, really different from what they've done while sounding familiar in some regards. They basically took their cooky, zany few-second freak out moments they've had in previous albums and took it to a whole album (while restraining and consolidating the weirdness).

The whole Dear Hunter collaboration really makes sense now.

I'll definitely be putting these two albums on one playlist though, for sure. I can't see myself ever listening to just one or the other barring listening to singles.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #952 on: July 15, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
And I say again, it is a cast-iron certainty that around 6 months from now, just in time for the Christmas market, a new "Special Edition" of this album will be released, with both parts put together, to milk it one last time.

Exactly. It's like they want us to pirate music these days.

But again....how much money do you think they are *actually* making?   I don't view it as a "cash grab" as much as it is just trying to stay afloat as a business.     It's almost gotten to the point where the cost of making an album can't be recouped by releasing it.   At a certain point, you have to change the business model just to break even.   And that is the FAULT of people who pirate. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #953 on: July 15, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
I feel now I should state that I had previously purchased every BTBAM album from Colors on.

It feels insulting to my intelligence to pay double for anything.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #954 on: July 15, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
Both these parts feel like just typical BTBAM but less interesting than usual  :-\

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:53 PM »
Both these parts feel like just typical BTBAM but less interesting than usual  :-\

That's how I felt about the first one but my opinion may change when I have both.

I do feel it's a real piss take releasing the album in two parts.  Im not too worried about paying for two, IMO it just kills the vibe and epicness having having two short parts.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #956 on: July 15, 2018, 11:43:33 PM »
Who's paying double? On Amazon mp3 here, both together cost only £1-2 more than most of their albums, and actually less than TGM.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2018, 05:28:46 AM »
Who's paying double? On Amazon mp3 here, both together cost only £1-2 more than most of their albums, and actually less than TGM.

I know for physical copies I'm paying $18-$20 each cd.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
Yeah, the physical copies I pre-ordered on Amazon UK were £7.99 and £6.99 respectvely, which comes to around 50% more than the price of a single disc would have been.

And again, it's not the money issue that 'bothers' me (to the extent any of this really bothers me, which it doesn't, I'm just offering my opinion on it). If they've done this for commercial reasons, then fine (though I would point out that this is the same band that publicly told their fans not to buy their 'greatest hits' CD because they felt it was a shameless cash grab by their former label). Although (per Jammin's point about the changing market) if this is now to be the way bands make ends meet in a changing industry, I'm not in favour of it. Tour more. Release new music more often, like Steven Wilson does. Be more creative with merchandise. There are ways to make good money in this industry. Releasing an album in 2 separate parts? Nope. Because I ask again, why not go further next time and release a quarter of the album every 3 months over the course of a year?

The 2nd and less cynical explanation is that it's been done for artistic reasons, and while every listener will have their own opinion on how wise a decision that was, my own is that this would have been a better listening/artistic experience for me (only for me; I say again it's obviously subjective) as 1 disc. Even when spliced together, it still only comes to 68 minutes, which by today's standards is a short album, with the new craze being to release double albums, or else packing a CD to its full 80 minutes. I like the musical journey of the whole thing, especially the central part of Blot and The Proverbial Bellow.

Anyway, all that aside - they've made an excellent, excellent album, one of the best in the genre I've heard in many years. It is safely in my top 3 BTBAM releases.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #959 on: July 19, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »
Finally gave both parts a listen on a long drive today. Solid stuff throughout, with some definite shiners, especially Voice of Trespass, fuck what an insanely good track that is.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #960 on: July 20, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
I really don’t see a problem with this release model. Their music is always very dense, so this way I was encouraged to explore the first half and later the second half. I’m sure it’ll feel like one complete album after it has all sunken in.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #961 on: July 21, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »
Holy crap this album is freakin AWESOME!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #962 on: July 21, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »

I know for physical copies I'm paying $18-$20 each cd.
yeah but is AUD real money anyways :neverusethis:

automata I was I think $7 when i got it and automata II is $9 atm? for two whole CDs that's pretty fine actually, i've paid more for shorter CDs before

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #963 on: July 21, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »
Holy crap this album is freakin AWESOME!!!

Yeah...they really fucking kill it on this one. I'm neck deep in it and totally at peace.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: July 22, 2018, 12:33:30 AM »
The more I listen to Automata II, the more it sounds like The Dear Dunter. Wonder if Casey was part of writing process in their tour.. Glide and Voice of Trespass has a lot of influences.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #965 on: July 22, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: July 22, 2018, 01:37:23 AM »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #967 on: July 22, 2018, 05:25:50 AM »
The more I listen to Automata II, the more it sounds like The Dear Dunter. Wonder if Casey was part of writing process in their tour.. Glide and Voice of Trespass has a lot of influences.

Voice of Trespass sounds more Diablo Swing Orchestra than Dear Hunter.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #968 on: July 27, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
If I’m walking through the store singing More Than a Feeling, no one bats an eye....but walking through Costco growling Blot gets me all kinds of weird looks.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #969 on: August 02, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
@ jammindude 😂👍

Automata I got quite a lot of spins from me; good stuff. Finally got around to my first full spin of Automata II; at first sight it seems to be even more adventurous and at least as good as part I.

My liking of Autumata comes as a pleasant surprise after Coma Ecliptic. On that record, their Queen influences got a bit overwhelming for my tastes. And without the personality a Freddie Mercury.. well I suppose you get the point. Automata returns to the band’s heavy side while keeping their adventurous side intact, albeit without the heavy Queen/opera influence. I dig it. Also: to my ears Automata has their most pleasant production yet. Drums sound nice and full, chunky guitars and the vocals have enough space in the mix.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:35:20 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #970 on: August 10, 2018, 02:30:47 AM »
You know when you like a band but you don't LOVE them. Then an album comes out that makes you appreciate the band more and want to dive back into their music with this new found appreciation. That's where I am currently with BtBaM.

I definitely rank Automata II higher than I at the moment. Also, rankings:

The Proverbial Bellow
Voice of Trespass
Blot
Condemned to the Gallows
The Grid
Millions
Yellow Eyes
The House Organ
Glide
Gold distance

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #971 on: August 10, 2018, 02:38:30 AM »
Secondly, album rankings (for the ones I own):

The Parallax II: Future Sequence
The Great Misdirect
Automata II
Automata I
Colors
The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
Coma Ecliptic

I'm going to get around to listening to all the others I don't own, over the coming weeks. Quite looking forward to the love versions of albums, which these guys seem to love to do.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #972 on: August 10, 2018, 03:09:35 AM »
Completely agree with your top 3 Automata songs, and your top album. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #973 on: August 10, 2018, 03:20:45 AM »
Completely agree with your top 3 Automata songs, and your top album. :tup

Edit: What I meant to say was "If only there was some way that our tastes lining up could benefit you"

:neverusethis:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:38:01 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #974 on: August 11, 2018, 12:16:38 AM »
Just got back from the show, Summer Slaughter tour with BtBaM headlining. Missed the first three bands due to work, unfortunately one of them being Allegeaon, the only other band I really wanted to see. Erra was solid, second time seeing them. Veil of Maya was pretty intense, and Born of Osiris didn't click too much with me, but they were entertaining. Watched all these bands from a seated position in the back, then wormed my way to front row, center for BtBaM.

Holy fucking shit. :omg: :omg: :omg:

Such a killer performance, both energy wise and technicality wise. I took a pretty good beating being an old man with a pit of about 300 younglings losing their shit behind me, but I held my own I must say. Highlights for me were Blot and Voice of Trespass and whatever they closed with (not being familiar with half their discography, I didn't recognize a good deal of the set, but there were zero flaws in it).

A few pics from my shitty seat...

Bedtime now for the old man... :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #975 on: August 11, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »
Sweet dude! The closer was Selkies: The Endless Obsession from the Alaska album :tup

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #976 on: August 11, 2018, 08:35:19 AM »
Thanks, I gotta dig more I to their back albums. Just a phenomenal experience overall.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #977 on: August 11, 2018, 09:05:55 AM »
Alaska was my introduction to BtBaM back when it was first released. At the time I had never heard anything like them. I thought it was amazing. I had no idea they would go on to make masterpieces like Colors, The Great Misdirect, Parallax 1 & 2, etc.

Anyway Alaska is definitely worth looking in to. It is more of a transition album from their more metal core beginnings, but songs like Selkies, Backwards Marathon, Roboturner, and All Bodies make it worth it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #978 on: August 11, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
Croakies & Boatshoes make that album very much NOT worth it :lol luckily it's very short though

Alaska and Backwards Marathon are among their better songs imo, oh and Roboturner also
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #979 on: August 11, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
Croakies & Boatshoes make that album very much NOT worth it :lol luckily it's very short though

Alaska and Backwards Marathon are among their better songs imo, oh and Roboturner also
To be honest, the lyrics to Croakies & Boatshoes make me giggle. It seems very tongue in cheek. I also enjoy the song too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar