Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129140 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #910 on: June 18, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
Parallax I, II and The Great Misdirect are all the best BTBAM album

and Colors as well on a good day, and possibly Automata if part II is as good/better than I
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #911 on: June 18, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
TGM is easily the worst BTBAM album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #912 on: June 18, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »

I’m sorry you feel that way. I’d have to say the first 2 albums are their weakest.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #913 on: June 18, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
Actually it's good you didn't play in my roulette in hindsight

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #914 on: June 18, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
Regarding the short length.... I think the days of trying to cram as much onto one CD as possible are gone.

What I personally think is kind of cool is that, to me, this makes sense from both a business angle and an artistic angle. Even back when CDs were first coming out and people were trying to fill them up completely with 80 minutes worth of music, it really was too much to digest all in one sitting. By doing it this way you’re doing two things. You’re selling more CDs obviously. But you’re also putting out something that can be fully digested in one sitting. Then saving the rest for later.

I get that some people might feel like it was a “cash grab” to release them separately.....but honesty....how many units are a band like BTBAM moving, and how much extra do they really stand to gain from that.   Everyone knows that the money nowadays is from touring....not from album sales.   It might be slightly driven by money (the more costs you can recoup from recording expenses the better)...but with CD sales being as low as they are, I don’t think they are exactly getting rich off of this move.   But again, on an artistic level, I think it makes sense.   If you have 70 minutes worth of music that is supposed to tie in as a singular concept....that’s a lot to digest in a single release.    Putting out half of it on one album, and then releasing the other half a few months later (I think) is a smart move.     I’m all about throwing my money at the starving artist anyway, so I don’t mind if they are trying to milk it into a couple of releases.   If the product is good, then they deserve it.

I don't like that Automata was split in two parts. Not because the halves are too short (plenty of good short albums) and not because of cash grab (I don't mind paying premium for music I I love) but because it hurts the flow of the album. Automata I starts heavy, explores a mellower direction with House Organ/Yellow Eyes/Millions, them Blot comes as a palette cleanser - and then it just ends.
If the three lighter songs were distilled into something snappier and Blot would be followed by a payoff (like some of the weird stuff teased for part 2), we could have a great 35 minutes album. What we got instead feels gimped.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #915 on: June 18, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
Actually it's good you didn't play in my roulette in hindsight

I should have just sent the worst albums from great bands. :P

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #916 on: June 18, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
We ranking the albums again here? Very well. It goes:

Colors
The Great Misdirect
Parallax 1
Parallax 2
Alaska
Coma Ecliptic
(not spent much time with the others)

About splitting the album, I've made my peace with it. Like Jammindude, I'm happy to send these guys twice the cash for an album, if it helps them keep their heads above water. Plus, as much as I love them, they are an exhausting listen, and half an hour at a time of their brand of mad everything-but-the-kitchen-sink music is fine for me. This probably reflects badly on me as a listener, but I don't think I'd have spent so much time and attention on those 6 Automata I songs if they hadn't been released like that. I'd probably have missed all kinds of nuances and details if this were all on 1 disc (as I'm sure I still do when I listen to Parallax 2, because there's so much going on in it. I still can't make head nor tail of tracks like Extremophile Elite and Melting City).

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #917 on: June 18, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
I also have no problem giving the band twice the money, cuz I’m loyal to my favorite bands and support them 100%. But I hate the fact they split it, cuz like others have mentioned, it disrupts the continuity. The long running albums are no problem to me, I always like the challenge of digesting them!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #918 on: June 19, 2018, 12:18:01 AM »
that's a weird way to spell the great misdirect
Agreed. The Great Misdirect is where it's at.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #919 on: June 19, 2018, 03:12:09 AM »
When Automata 2 comes out I'll probably just make a playlist of the two together and then only ever listen to them together because very rarely do I want the 30 min album and I reach for a full length. With that said I've never listened to Parallax 1 and 2 back to back, probably because of how long 2 is already. But might be worth a try.  :eek

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #920 on: July 12, 2018, 06:16:33 AM »
Automata I & II song rankings (because that’s what we do):

The Proverbial Bellow
The Grid
Yellow Eyes
Voice of Trespass
Blot
Condemned to the Gallows
Glide
House Organ
Millions
Gold Distance

Very good album. The Proverbial Bellow has one of the most memorable BTBAM intros.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #921 on: July 12, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
Early ranking for me:

1. Voice of Trespass
2. Yellow Eyes
3. Condemned to the Gallows
4. The Proverbial Bellow
5. House Organ
6. Blot
7. Glide
8. The Grid
9. Millions
10. Gold Distance
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online faizoff

« Reply #922 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
My ranking of the albums that I've heard would probably go

Parallax 2
Colors
Automata I
Coma Ecliptic
Parallax 1
The Great Misdirect

All 9 or 10 out of 10 rating albums for me. I love all of them for different reasons.

I've heard some songs from the first three albums. I'll have to give them a full listen sometime.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #923 on: July 12, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
I've only gone back to Alaska, and I love that one.   I used to like death metal in my 20s, but I really don't like it anymore because of how "one dimensional" it tends to be.   It wasn't until bands started mixing clean and death vocals, and incorporating different styles that I regained a passing interest in the genre.     Based on what I've heard, I'm not sure I would care for BTBAM's first two albums because people tend to say that they are more "straight forward" aggressive death metal style albums. 

EDIT - That's also why I tend to like Coma Ecliptic more than most.   It's not their *best* album, but I personally think it is the most stylistically varied album in their entire catalog. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #924 on: July 12, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »
It really hard to rank the songs on Automata, so I’ll rank the albums:

The Parallax II: Future Sequence
Colors
Automata
The Great Misdirect
Coma Ecliptic
Alaska
The Silent Circus
Between The Buried And Me

Offline jammindude

« Reply #925 on: July 12, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
Very difficult.  I've actually been spinning them all (well....from Alaska forward) for the last week or so and I really do love them all.  But I'll try...

Parallax II
Automata I
Colors
Alaska
Coma Ecliptic
Parallax I
The Great Misdirect

I really hate seeing CE and TGM on near the bottom.   Because I know there are people that don't care for them, and I don't feel that way.  I just think the other ones are better. 

EDIT - I changed my mind and reversed Parallax I and Coma Ecliptic so that CE was slightly higher.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #926 on: July 12, 2018, 09:28:26 PM »
One more thing to add.    I had bought the live version of Parallax II at the BTBAM show, but it was on a whim and I had heard people say that it really wasn't much different than the studio version, so I put it on the shelf when I got home and then forgot I even had it.

But then when I went to load my music player for work, I decided to load it with my ENTIRE BTBAM file (among other things).   When the album started playing, I didn't even know what it was (because, like I said, I forgot I even owned it) but I was surprised that it sounded quite a bit different than the studio version, and I may in fact like it even more.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: July 13, 2018, 12:16:17 AM »
Automata II is out today!!

Playing The Proverbial Bellow for the first time, already sounds much better (and progressive) than Automata I. :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #928 on: July 13, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »
I can't stress how much of a Train of Naught song Voice of Trespass is, it's like it was designed to include every single thing I love about the band.

Album rankings with first impression Automata included:

The Great Misdirect
Parallax (I/II)
Colors
Automata
Alaska
Coma Ecliptic
Between the Buried and Me

The Silent Circus (still waiting for this one to grow on me, only one by them I don't love I'd say)

so the metalcore albums are in the bottom of my rankings, but the self-titled is pretty great tbh.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #929 on: July 13, 2018, 05:23:00 AM »
Colors is my favourite, easily. Still haven’t listened to the Automatas
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online faizoff

« Reply #930 on: July 13, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »
Had one listen to Automata II, very good impression of first listen. Can't wait to really get into it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #931 on: July 13, 2018, 07:22:02 AM »
Automata II is already sooo much better than Automata I. It's giving me some strong "heavier Dear Hunter" vibes. I'm thinking this could be up there with Coma Ecliptic as one of my favorite BtBaM albums.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »
Yep. Automata II is better but I do think being able to listen to the album as a whole now will help me appreciate part I more. Favorite moment of the album might be the “Beautiful eruption” section of TPB.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Well.... Voice Of Trespass is KILLER  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #934 on: July 13, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Pretty nice part 2. Swing metal is always great, they better play it on Summer Slaughter.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
First show is tonight....we will soon find out!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #936 on: July 13, 2018, 03:30:17 PM »
I like part 2 a lot but this all should have been 1 album, and then it would have been one of their finest records. Their stated rationale for splitting it (to give me time to digest it all) now rings hollow to me, because listening to part 2, it's not clear what exactly the band felt I needed a breather from. This is nowhere near the dense, draining experience that Parallax 2 or Colors were. And Blot (last track on part 1) and The Proverbial Bellow (first track on part 2) would have made a great 1-2 epic punch in the middle of the album, like that cluster of epics in the middle of Colors. Altogether this comes to less than 70 minutes, and it is not an especially complex record, and neither is it very heavy. I could very easily have taken this in one sitting.

I'm very happy with both 'albums', and I'm also happy to give this band extra cash for the 2 releases if it helps them keep going. But speaking only about the art of the thing, this would have been a truly great album were it all on one disc (easy for me to splice them together, I know, but that's not my point). As it is, both parts when separated leave me wanting more; neither feels like its own fully realised thing. Splitting it feels random.

I give the whole thing an 8/10, and if I imagine it all as one album (as the 'Special Edition With Exclusive Artwork!' will surely release it as about 6 months from now), I rank it 3rd in their discography, behind The Great Misdirect and Colors.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:02:39 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #937 on: July 13, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »
Pretty nice part 2. Swing metal is always great, they better play it on Summer Slaughter.

Check Dan's instagram, they were rehearsing VoT, so pretty sure they will play it :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #938 on: July 13, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Oh my god. It's only four songs. It's only four songs. They even had the audacity to label them tracks 7-10 on the back of the package. I'm pretty sure all ten of these could have been on a single disc, looking at the tracklist. Hoping it's good, because I'm feeling a tad ripped off (no one's forcing me to buy the thing, but I already owned part 1 so, heeeeey).

I'll gladly give up "needing time to digest it all" if it saves me $9.  ::)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #939 on: July 14, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
Between the Diablo Swing Orchestra and Me  :metal

Nice.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #940 on: July 14, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
Between the Diablo Swing Orchestra and Me  :metal

Nice.

Yup that was my first thought when I heard Voice of Trespass begin.

Hopefully I can win tickets to Summer Slaughter. That's a pretty good (but short) setlist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #941 on: July 14, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
Oh my god. It's only four songs. It's only four songs. They even had the audacity to label them tracks 7-10 on the back of the package. I'm pretty sure all ten of these could have been on a single disc, looking at the tracklist. Hoping it's good, because I'm feeling a tad ripped off (no one's forcing me to buy the thing, but I already owned part 1 so, heeeeey).

I'll gladly give up "needing time to digest it all" if it saves me $9.  ::)

Yeah the split thing seems like a shameless cash grab. I'm just gonna hope it was a label forced thing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #942 on: July 14, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
Regarding the short length.... I think the days of trying to cram as much onto one CD as possible are gone.

What I personally think is kind of cool is that, to me, this makes sense from both a business angle and an artistic angle. Even back when CDs were first coming out and people were trying to fill them up completely with 80 minutes worth of music, it really was too much to digest all in one sitting. By doing it this way you’re doing two things. You’re selling more CDs obviously. But you’re also putting out something that can be fully digested in one sitting. Then saving the rest for later.

I get that some people might feel like it was a “cash grab” to release them separately.....but honesty....how many units are a band like BTBAM moving, and how much extra do they really stand to gain from that.   Everyone knows that the money nowadays is from touring....not from album sales.   It might be slightly driven by money (the more costs you can recoup from recording expenses the better)...but with CD sales being as low as they are, I don’t think they are exactly getting rich off of this move.   But again, on an artistic level, I think it makes sense.   If you have 70 minutes worth of music that is supposed to tie in as a singular concept....that’s a lot to digest in a single release.    Putting out half of it on one album, and then releasing the other half a few months later (I think) is a smart move.     I’m all about throwing my money at the starving artist anyway, so I don’t mind if they are trying to milk it into a couple of releases.   If the product is good, then they deserve it.

In case some glanced over it, I feel like my earlier post on this subject bears repeating.

EDIT - Actually, I hope we see more releases this way.    I personally really enjoyed the way that splitting it up built the anticipation for the 2nd half.      The "slow build to a grand climax" approach.     Seriously....SCREW INSTANT GRATIFICATION.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #943 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:58 PM »
I think both parts are alright on their own but because they're split into essentially 2 EPs instead of a full length album I think that's massively gonna impact how much I go back to these, unless I just make a playlist and merge the two back to back of course. But then I go against what the band actually intended, which for me is mostly just annoying. Kinda reminds me a bit (though a very different beast) to what Protest the Hero did when they decided to drop 1 song a month over a certain period of time and I ended up not checking any of it out because it's too little at the time for me to get invested in. I mean I get BTBAM and 2x 30 minutes is different, I just generally prefer albums to EPs.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #944 on: July 14, 2018, 03:05:59 PM »
I'm still not seeing the artistic merit in splitting it (the financial merit is obvious, and is the reason they've done it). If this were some wildly complex and dense album with a cliff-hanger of a story, then ok, but this basically feels like exactly what it is: a good prog-metal album cut right in half and released separately as a marketing gimmick. To what artistic purpose? None that I can see. Obviously this strategy is going to "build the anticipation for the 2nd half", simply because everyone wants to hear what the rest of it sounds like. What's next with this strategy? Release a CD every month with one song from the album on it, in order to "build anticipation" for what the finished thing sounds like?

And I say again, it is a cast-iron certainty that around 6 months from now, just in time for the Christmas market, a new "Special Edition" of this album will be released, with both parts put together, to milk it one last time.