Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131410 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
In typical BTBAM fashion, the album comes together after a few listens.
I'm the exact opposite with BTBAM. Every album since Silent Circus I loved from the first listen. This one I didn't. And it's not getting better with repeated listens..... I hope part 2 is better. It makes me sad that they have released an album that I don't immediately love. :(
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
for those who didn't hear the split with The Dear Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_p06LEnSfg&feature=youtu.be

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #877 on: May 16, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Yeah I saw it today in the All Things BTBAM FB group. The Tank cover is very interesting, but I don't think Tommy's vocals are good enough to reach the same emotional level that Casey does on that song. The Rapid Calm cover though, loving it! TDH completely made it their own. I would have loved it even more if the 'one last search' line would have come back with a bit more intensity though, instead of leaving it on the background the entire outro, but this also works.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #878 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »
Both of those covers are super good  :hefdaddy
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #879 on: May 17, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
BTBAM's is good, but Rapid Calm legitimately sounds like it could've been a TDH song, they truly did a fantastic job.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #880 on: May 17, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
Last time they toured Europe they were a support act for Devin Townsend. This year they support Tesseract.
Are BTBAM really that unpopular over here? In my mind, Devin and Tesseract to be "more niche" than BTBAM.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #881 on: May 19, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
Awesome covers by both. BTBAM tends to stay fairly close to the originals with their covers for some reason but just slightly twist it with their own sound. TDH's cover made me kind of want to hear more covers by them, weirdly enough. It's not often I'm like "Oh I want this awesomely innovative and original band to do something entirely unoriginal like covering another band!" but they're the exception I guess.  :lol Really crazy cool stuff from that track.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #882 on: May 19, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
I saw some teaser posted on reddit, I think it was just some random noise clips with no music and looked like a dream sequence that ended with the date 05/23/18. I think it was called 'voice of trespass' or something. Cant seem to find it now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #883 on: May 19, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
Yeah, the concept is about selling people's dreams for entertainment, and the teaser represents fragments of those dreams I believe, and the song is supposedly being released on the 23rd of May. https://vimeo.com/269967711
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #884 on: May 19, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »
Yeah, the concept is about selling people's dreams for entertainment, and the teaser represents fragments of those dreams I believe, and the song is supposedly being released on the 23rd of May. https://vimeo.com/269967711
I'm lucky enough to have the whole of Automata, and Voice of Trespass is probably my favourite song on the album. Won't be to everyone's taste, admittedly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #885 on: May 19, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »
Ariich, what’s The Grid like? I’m interested in that one

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #886 on: May 19, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
Ohhh that was for BTBAM!?

I was so fucking confused when I got that. I mean it's obviously not what it's trying to be, because the whole "viral" thing as this point is hopelessly overdone and dramatic, but I still couldn't find any information on it at the time and knew it was obviously from either the label itself or a band I listen to, but it was so damn vague that I ended up forgetting about it till seeing this.

Super awesome that it's about the new album though, I am so excited to hear this and listen to them back to back!

RIP DTP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #887 on: May 19, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
The wait feels really long with July 13th as the slated date for Automata II. I'm really loving the first part right now and is in constant rotation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #888 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:04 AM »
Ariich, what’s The Grid like? I’m interested in that one
It's solid, but not one of the standouts for me. Proverbial Bellow (very proggy) and Voice of Trespass (dark and a bit theatrical) are where it's at IMO.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #889 on: May 24, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »
I still wish they didn't split this out. I enjoy Part 1 but have not put a lot of effort into it since I'm waiting for Part II.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #890 on: May 24, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
It has happened guys, BTBAM goes big band jazz :metal :metal

https://twitter.com/SumerianRecords/status/999342652502896640

Curious to see how the vocals are going to blend into this, if any. Sounds like Diablo Swing Orchestra if you ask me!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #891 on: May 24, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »

Curious to see how the vocals are going to blend into this, if any. Sounds like Diablo Swing Orchestra if you ask me!

Dear Lord, me rikey!! Bring that shit on!!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #892 on: May 24, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
Oh wow, 4 tracks. I'm definitely going to have to combine these albums when I listen to them.

But yeah that snippet sounds awesome. I'll be buying the ultimate bundle for this one; I want dem t-shirts and dat wall flag.

RIP DTP.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #893 on: May 24, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
Going by ariich's statements, I'm guessing that clip is from Voice of Trespass? Color me excited. I love when BTBAM experiments.

And Tio-- yeah, definitely going to have to pair the albums together for a full listening experience.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #894 on: May 24, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
Correct Heretic. Interestingly it's one of the heaviest tracks vocally (in the chorus at least, and the second half of the song).

And yeah I've always listened to both parts together as a single album, and it's awesome. Personally, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of splitting it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:43:50 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #895 on: May 24, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »
Gotta say it's pretty underwhelming to hear talks about a double album split in two only for it to be essentially 2 glorified EPs in the 30 min range. Quality of the music aside ofc.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #896 on: May 24, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Wow! That sounds awesome, it reminded me of Diablo Swing Orchestra aswell. Can't wait to hear it, I really liked pt I.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #897 on: May 24, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »

Haha, I really like that. Sounds killer  :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #898 on: May 24, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
I've never heard of Diablo Swing, but the clip reminded me of The Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #899 on: May 25, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
Gotta say it's pretty underwhelming to hear talks about a double album split in two only for it to be essentially 2 glorified EPs in the 30 min range. Quality of the music aside ofc.

Yeah it's a little disappointing. Not entirely but I suppose hype strikes once again; always a killer of joy and helps with nothing.

Still really excited to play these back to back and the whole "album" is still a good length and if it's got enough hooks to keep me coming back, I'm happy. It does seem though that the older I get, the less I'm interested in super long tracks, so that might wane on me a bit. Though if anyone can make me like a ridiculously long track, it's these guys.

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
I started noticing that I'm very fond of short albums. BTBAM (though technically maybe not), TesseracT and Greyhaven all released fantastic albums this year and I feel that might not have been the case if they went on for 20 more minutes.

If any of those 3 can prove me wrong, it would be BTBAM though. I doubt it'll feel overlong when playing Automata in full, I've never felt that any of their albums overstays its welcome.

Also on the topic of Automata I, few months down the road what is everyone's favourite? I still see a lot of Blot votes around other websites but that's still my least fave probably. For me its either Gallows or Yellow Eyes. House Organ wouldve been #1 but the second half isnt as good as the first

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #901 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »
I started noticing that I'm very fond of short albums. BTBAM (though technically maybe not), TesseracT and Greyhaven all released fantastic albums this year and I feel that might not have been the case if they went on for 20 more minutes.
the 45-50 minute album is absolutely my ideal tbh but 40ish minutes can work too (white ward is the immediate example i think of every time)
looking forward to the new BTBAM regardless, i'm basically treating them as separate albums but i'll probably do the full album listen at some point

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #902 on: May 25, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »
I warmed up a lot to Blot and the second half grew on me immensely. I love the instrumental and electronic-based aspect of it; really emphasizes the whole vibe of the album.

House Organ/Yellow Eyes is my favorite though.

I don't get the hate for Gold Distance too; it's obvious just an interlude but for me at least it sets up Blot so damn nice and really gives a pretty epic anticipation for it. It's a really pretty interlude, and that's all it's meant to be (along with the build up).

RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #903 on: June 16, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
This album just hit me.

CttG might be my new favorite album opener.

Can’t wait for part 2.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #904 on: June 18, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »
Regarding the short length.... I think the days of trying to cram as much onto one CD as possible are gone.

What I personally think is kind of cool is that, to me, this makes sense from both a business angle and an artistic angle. Even back when CDs were first coming out and people were trying to fill them up completely with 80 minutes worth of music, it really was too much to digest all in one sitting. By doing it this way you’re doing two things. You’re selling more CDs obviously. But you’re also putting out something that can be fully digested in one sitting. Then saving the rest for later.

I get that some people might feel like it was a “cash grab” to release them separately.....but honesty....how many units are a band like BTBAM moving, and how much extra do they really stand to gain from that.   Everyone knows that the money nowadays is from touring....not from album sales.   It might be slightly driven by money (the more costs you can recoup from recording expenses the better)...but with CD sales being as low as they are, I don’t think they are exactly getting rich off of this move.   But again, on an artistic level, I think it makes sense.   If you have 70 minutes worth of music that is supposed to tie in as a singular concept....that’s a lot to digest in a single release.    Putting out half of it on one album, and then releasing the other half a few months later (I think) is a smart move.     I’m all about throwing my money at the starving artist anyway, so I don’t mind if they are trying to milk it into a couple of releases.   If the product is good, then they deserve it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #905 on: June 18, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
Double post

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #906 on: June 18, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
i definitely agree with the above, parallax II and coma ecliptic are both too much for me to sit through in all honesty which is probably why i don't like them as much, though at least in coma's case i also just think a lot of the music is particular uninspired but what do i know it's not like automata I is that fresh either but i still enjoy it a fair bit

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #907 on: June 18, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
Pfft Parallax II is their best.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #908 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
Pfft Parallax II is their best.

Agreed

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member