Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131709 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »
No they're not. If anything the vocals are metalcore, but the new album has tons of clean singing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2015, 11:15:51 PM »
So does Killswitch Engage.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2015, 11:34:40 PM »
No they're not. If anything the vocals are metalcore, but the new album has tons of clean singing.

Oh, I am so there. So with these new release date schedules, it should be at the store if I go tomorrow? Maybe I'll pick up one of Tommy's solo albums too. I haven't listened to either.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #493 on: July 10, 2015, 12:09:36 AM »
I've never found Opeth and BTBAM to be any kind of comparable though, sure they're both heavy and have the growling vocals and they're both prog too but that's about where the comparison ends
it'd be like comparing Tool to Dream Theater

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #494 on: July 10, 2015, 12:34:49 AM »
It's july 10th people! Coma Ecliptic is officially out now!

(Even though I've already listened to it like 10 times  :biggrin:)
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #495 on: July 10, 2015, 08:55:29 AM »
I picked up the album this morning. I won't be able to give it a spin until after work, and greatly look foward to doing so.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online faizoff

« Reply #496 on: July 10, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
Picked the CD up and listened to the first three tracks in the car and have to say it sounded fantastic, usually in my car the CDs sound just about alright this CD being a big exception. 
I can't wait to listen to it at home with my good headphones.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Randaran

« Reply #497 on: July 10, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »
I finished my first listen of the album. It is not quite at the same level as TGM or Colors, but I currently consider it to be about equal with Parallax II. Of course, BTBAM albums are almost always growers, so I'm interested to see how my impressions change as I listen to it more. The growls sound a bit off, but I am sure that I'll get used to them in time.

My favorite track is King Redeem/Queen Serene. And Life in Velvet is fucking glorious.  :hefdaddy

I hate hardcore music and vocals (note that I like death metal), will I like this album?

I was already into bands like Opeth and Death before I discovered BTBAM, and had never harbored any sort of aversion towards harsh vocals. In fact, I have always liked them. Yet when I first listened to Colors, I did not like the vocals. However, the melodic guitar lines and overall instrumentation, especially in the three 10+ minute songs, were so addicting that I ended up listened to the album numerous times. I eventually came to love Tommy's vocals, and BTBAM is now one of my all-time favorite bands.

Essentially, do not let the vocals turn you off. The music itself was so strong that I continued to return to it, and my position on the vocals made a complete 180. And I still hate most vocalists that employ a similar style.

As for this specific album, the quantity of growls is greatly toned down. It is more of a prog record than a death metal one, especially when compared to the band's previous output. Definitely give it a shot.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #498 on: July 10, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »
Holy fucking shit.....what a BEAST of an album!!! Seriously, these guys are owning the word prog right now, it's not even fair  :lol

Every disc that they put out always amazes me how confident they are as writers. Might take a while for rankings to come cuz I gotta digest this one for a while....

Online faizoff

« Reply #499 on: July 10, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
The production on this album is amazing, sounds absolutely amazing using a pair of decent noise cancelling headphones I have.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #500 on: July 11, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Listened to the new album, yeah, that was really good. There are still core vocals but sounds like almost all of the hardcore influence in the actual music is gone. I hope they eventually go the way of Opeth and remove all harsh vocals. That was a progressive metal album, not a progressive metalcore album. I might need to go back and listen to their older stuff.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #501 on: July 11, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »
I hope they eventually go the way of Opeth and remove all harsh vocals.

I absolutely love Watershed, but I really hope that Coma Ecliptic will not be BTBAM's parallel album. The removal of Opeth's harsh vocals (or more specifically, the dynamic between beauty and brutality) resulted in less engaging music. While I still like its two most recent albums, they pale (no pun intended) in comparison to what the band created during its golden years. I would not want BTBAM to follow a similar path.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2015, 02:07:52 AM »
Yeah, Opeth's "clean only" albums are by far their weakest albums. I hope BTBAM doesn't go the same route.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2015, 04:40:41 AM »
Yeah the Watershed comparison is pretty good I think. It feels like after this album there is definitely not going back to, say, Colors-esque material. Like others, I just hope BTBAM don't lose their magic the same way Opeth did when they decided to ditch the metal elements of their music.

I have listened to Coma Ecliptic a few times now, and at the moment is feels like a step down from Parallax II. I like this band the best when there are clearly melodic and memorable things going on amidst all the chaos, and at this point I can't seem to find those memorable moments on this album. Have to keep listening though, I didn't like Parallax II at first either. Colors was the only one that immediately gave me the impression like OMG this stuff will be monstrously good after I familiarize myself with this.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #504 on: July 14, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
I am going to see them in Norfolk in early August. Unlike the other concerts I've attended in the past year, this one is less than two hours away.

A few questions, since I do not want to spoil the setlist for myself:
-In what order do the bands play?
-What is the approximate length of each band's setlist?
-Does BTBAM play anything from its first three albums (with the exception of Selkies, which is most likely a given)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
I'd be chocked if they play anything from the first three. Not even Selkies. They've talked about how they would focus mainly on newer material since Parallax, and there are several stories about how "fed up" some of the band members are of Selkies. Mordecai could happen, it's slightly shorter and I guess as close to a "fan favorite" as they have from the older stuff, but even that one would surprise me.

I'd say we'll probably get a 60% Coma set with one (or so) song each from Colors, TGM and Parallax.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #506 on: July 14, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
Yes it sounded like they had no desire nowadays to want to play anything pre-Colors.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #507 on: July 14, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
I've been spinning this today.   What an album.  I'm still trying to digest it.    It is EASILY one of their most dynamic albums.   It's as if they now have multiple styles instead of just two styles (harsh and clean).  Easily the most mature songwriting they have ever done.   I'm just floored.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #508 on: July 14, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
As someone who really couldn't get into Parallax II, I'm really digging this one. Needs more spins, but my initial impressions are pretty good.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #509 on: July 14, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »
I've taken this picture from the booklet/packaging artwork of the Coma Ecliptic CD, and I think it's totally rad and more fitting of the music on the album than the official artwork. I know this is a strange request, but is there any chance someone crafty and good with photoshop on this forum (example: blob) could put the band name and album title font on this image so I can set it as the album artwork on my iPhone?   I would do it myself if I had that sort of talent, but I don't. Thx in advance to anyone willing to give it a try.   

Totally badass art, amiright?

This album seems less musically complex than their previous work (I think Future Sequence is probably their most technical and complex), more "pulled back" in a way and focused on each individual song itself and less on the album as a whole. Each track works fantastically on it's own, each track could have easily been a single. For the first time ever when listening to an album, I can't decide what my #1 favorite song is, it's practically a 3 way tie between King Redeem, Darkness and Ectopic Stroll.

Rapid Calm and Option Oblivion are  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #510 on: July 15, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »
My pre-order came yesterday  :metal
The T Shirt is rad and the DVD is really interesting, in depth and detailed as far as the recording process was. Also, a few of those classic BTBAM moments

Offline Skeever

« Reply #511 on: July 15, 2015, 04:41:24 AM »
Yeah, Opeth's "clean only" albums are by far their weakest albums. I hope BTBAM doesn't go the same route.
Yeah and Mikael's clean voice is considerably better than Tommy's too. Though I don't really like Tommy much at all.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #512 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
Ya, in the past I've always viewed Tommy as the weak link of the band.   Not because I don't like harsh vocals, but because I usually don't think *his* harsh vocals are that outstanding.   (there are exceptions...the end of White Walls is phenomenal)

But I like that he's experimenting with several styles now.   It's almost like he's taking a more Mike Patton-esque approach in that he will take on *any* vocal style that will suit that moment in the song.    Personally, I think it's a HUGE improvement.  Tommy is only getting better and more creative as a vocalist with this album. 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #513 on: July 15, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
Yeah and Mikael's clean voice is considerably better than Tommy's too. Though I don't really like Tommy much at all.
I disagree.

Mikael's clean vocals are very 'pretty' but they work best as a counterpoint to his growls. I tend to find that when he does just clean singing an entite album of just that gets a bit... boring. Tommy, otoh, has a lot more variety with his clean singing and as he's shown on the latest btbam and his solo stuff, he's far more willing to try different styles.

Mikael's growls > Tommy's growls though

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #514 on: July 15, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
I've taken this picture from the booklet/packaging artwork of the Coma Ecliptic CD, and I think it's totally rad and more fitting of the music on the album than the official artwork. I know this is a strange request, but is there any chance someone crafty and good with photoshop on this forum (example: blob) could put the band name and album title font on this image so I can set it as the album artwork on my iPhone?   I would do it myself if I had that sort of talent, but I don't. Thx in advance to anyone willing to give it a try.   

Totally badass art, amiright?

Here's my go, not perfect but I hope this works.

EDIT: or this one, switched the colours around. https://i57.tinypic.com/121y4bq.jpg
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:19:34 PM by Vahvahenki »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #515 on: July 15, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
I really like that art, but more fitting in terms of music? That cover gives me a very dark/psychedelic vibe, whereas the album is pretty light and even "fun" in some parts, honestly. I think the blue skies of the cover art fit the music pretty well, it seems like a more positive album in terms of music.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #516 on: July 15, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
Looks like an Unknown Mortal Orchestra album cover

Offline jammindude

« Reply #517 on: July 15, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »
I think it looks like an alternate cover for "My Arms, Your Hearse"...

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #518 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
I think it looks purple.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #519 on: July 16, 2015, 12:04:07 AM »
Love the album cover. And damn the production of this album is amazing. Wish DT would get their shit together on the production side of things.

Online faizoff

« Reply #520 on: July 16, 2015, 05:50:28 AM »
Love the album cover. And damn the production of this album is amazing. Wish DT would get their shit together on the production side of things.

Yup I can't get over how well suited the production is to the composition of the songs. Makes me listen to the album more and more times.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #521 on: July 16, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
I've given the new album enough spins to engage in DTF's favorite hobby, listmaking!

Long Songs
1. King Redeem/ Queen Serene
2. Turn on the Darkness
3. Memory Palace
4. The Ectopic Stroll
5. Famine Wolf
6. The Coma Machine
7. Rapid Calm

Short Songs
1. Life in Velvet
2. Option Oblivion
3. Node
4. Dim Ignition

Album Ranking
1. Colors
2. The Great Misdirect
3. Coma Ecliptic
4. The Parallax II: Future Sequence
5. Alaska
6. Between the Buried and Me
7. The Silent Circus

Hypersleep Dialogues would fall between P2 and Alaska, had I included it.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #522 on: July 16, 2015, 01:56:32 PM »
photoshop wizardry

Thanks dude! Looks sick! ... but I think I decided to leave the cover the way it is after all   :lol
I read an article somewhere that said that taking in different visual imagery while listening to music causes you to hear it differently, making certain tones or sounds jump out more than usual. I think the theory is true, but thats a convo for another thread somewhere.

Track ranking:
King Redeem/Queen Serene
Turn on the Darkness
Ectopic Stroll
Rapid Calm
Option Oblivion-Life in Velvet

the rest.

For whatever reason, the singles grab me the least in context with the album. Maybe because theyre not as "fresh" as the others since I played the crap out of them months prior to hearing the others. 

I cant possibly rank it in comparison to the other albums yet. The new album feels are still too strong to give an unbiased opinion.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #523 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »
Listened to this beast a couple of times in the car. It's right now in my top 3 BTBAM.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #524 on: July 16, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
I've only given it a few spins so it still has room to grow, but I'm really liking it! :metal This is definitely them moving towards a new direction while remaining so at ease with it at the same time. Maybe it's simply the fact that it's a concept album, but I feel like this is the most cohesive and naturally structured they've put together since Colors. I'm still letting it digest, but it's definitely a top 3 album of theirs for me. My song rankings would go something like:

Long Songs:
1. King Redeem/Queen Serene
2. The Ectopic Stroll
3. Memory Palace
4. Turn on the Darkness
5. Famine Wolf
6. The Coma Machine
7. Rapid Calm

Shorter Songs:
1. Option Oblivion
2. Life in Velvet
3. Dim Ignition
4. Node

Even though some are lower than others, the whole album is incredibly consistent. As far as post-Alaska BTBAM albums go:

1. Colors
2. The Great Misdirect
3. Coma Ecliptic
4. The Parallax II
5. Alaska