Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129200 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
Still waiting for my copy too.  Still looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2014, 05:00:48 AM »
Random comment here but, I think I'd take Future Sequence over Colors.  Not certain, but it's possible.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2014, 06:06:55 AM »
Future Sequence hasn't aged nearly as well as Colors have for me. I think especially towards the end of the album, there's a slight dip. But as a comparison, Future Sequence is also almost 10 minutes longer than Colors, so I feel like it overstays its welcome just sliiightly. We're still talking a really great album.

I'm very interested to see where they go next. In terms of production and their individual skill as musicians and as a band, they have only gotten better.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2014, 08:12:11 AM »
Agreed. Future Sequence doesn't have as much staying power as Colors, or as much as The Great Misdirect even. It's a great album and all, but hasn't aged as well as the others.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »
Future Sequence and the self titled are tied for my number one.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:26 AM »
Future Sequence is easily their best album IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »
Agreed. Future Sequence doesn't have as much staying power as Colors, or as much as The Great Misdirect even. It's a great album and all, but hasn't aged as well as the others.

I agree with this. Colors remains their best, TGM is a close second. Future Sequence might be third.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
It's pretty much tied with TGM for me, with Colors being miles ahead of both.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
It's pretty much tied with TGM for me, with Colors being miles ahead of both.

This. Colors made my top 50, and is just a work of genius. The other two are awesome, but not Colors awesome.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
The one thing I admire the most about Colors and probably the one detail that makes it so much more than just a great album for me, is just how cohesive and consistent it is. Not just in terms of quality, but you can really tell that they wrote basically 65 minutes of music, and it just flows perfectly. Recurring themes appear in different songs, and some sections are only featured once. And we're talking some of the best moments on the album. They just appear, they blow you away and then they are gone. Sometimes less is more, and what drew me into Colors and made me go back so many times, and still makes me go back is that I want to revisit all those epic moments.

TGM is a very worthy follow-up IMO. Some people hate on it, but personally I think Swim to the Moon is their best epic. Yeah, IMO it edges out White Walls (though not by much) and I think Silent Flight Parliament, while good, doesn't come close to the two. Future Sequence is a really strong album for the most part, but it's somewhere around the Melting City/Silent Flight Parliament mark that I kinda zone out when I listen to it these days. Not that those songs are necessarily bad, but the album does feel its length towards the end, and the ending of the album is a bit anti-climactic in the sense that the big epic finale is also probably the weakest non-intermission song on the album, at least for me. It has some great sections and it's a good song overall, but where White Walls and Swim to the Moon (at least for me) are two of the biggest highlights (if not biggest) on their albums, Future Sequence ends on a lower note. Just a minor complaint though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
As much as I have grown to LOVE BTBAM...."cohesive" is not a term I would ever use to describe their music.   :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
As much as I have grown to LOVE BTBAM...."cohesive" is not a term I would ever use to describe their music.   :lol

Yet it absolutely applies in the case of Colors. So much so, it's kind of insane.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
I was about to post the same thing. Most of the time I couldn't agree more but Colors will always be at the top of my list simply because while the songs themselves are very much listenable as single entities and are different enough to be diversive, listening to it as an album from start to finish brings out a beautiful flow and cohesion. I love it. There hasn't been anything like it since, in my opinion; despite really liking their work afterwards (loving, in the case of FS), they haven't reached that kind of crazy cohesiveness while retaining a song's individual flavor.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »
Future Sequence is easily their best album IMO.

Good to see I'm not alone in my thinking.  I think it could be their best work too.

Also, the new DVD is great to watch, but the cd is pointless IMO.  Also, I think it would have been a better release if they played Hypersleep too.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
Colors has weird transitions.

Like the one from AITS to PttS.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
I used to think that BTBAM had a solid debut, and that every successive album surpassed the one before it. I now think differently. The S/T has really grown on me. It is easily the best of their first three.

As for their next album, I really hope that they drop King and get a better producer. The production for their albums has been passable thus far, but they deserve much better. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that this is going to happen.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
I like the self-titled and I think it's a very solid debut, but for me it is easily the weakest out of the first three, and probably their entire catalog. The Silent Circus to me is better in almost every way, and Alaska is a bit different than both of them, but where the band started evolving the sound we hear today.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
Maybe "easily the best" wasn't the best choice of words. The S/T is definitely ahead of TSC, and likely tied with Alaska, though I will need to listen to both of them a few more times to be sure. TSC, while a good album, is their weakest.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
For the longest time TSC has actually been my favorite out of the first 3 albums, but I'm not sure if it still is. For the longest time I haven't been huge on Alaska, but it has slowly been growing on me.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
I gotta say that after a few years, Alaska has taken spot 2 in their lineup.

For me its TGM>Alaska>Parralax>Colors>TSC>ST

My ranking is probably the minority opinion.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
For anyone who likes metal and prog but hates metalcore, what album should I listen to?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
For anyone who likes metal and prog but hates metalcore, what album should I listen to?
The Great Misdirect and/or Parallax

TGM is more prog metal-y IMO. Colors is almost a perfect fusion of their more progressive elements and their earlier metalcore sound.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »

Listen to Colors onwards. That is three albums and an EP. Afterwards, I still recommend trying out their first three; I too hate metalcore, and was pleasantly surprised by them. As for a first album, The Great Misdirect is your best bet.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »

If it's the vocals you can't get past, it's not going to get better with BTBAM.

I for one, am really happy that they've been putting a bit more clean vocals in the mix.   I felt like it was about an 80/20 split with Alaska and Colors...but it's been more like 65/35 with the last couple.    I hope the next album goes 50/50 straight up. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
I think Colors has the best balance for my own taste. I think Tommy has great clean vocals, but part of what makes them great for me is the sparse use. By having long sections of harsh vocals and mainly blasting you in the face with heaviness, it makes the softer moments more nice and you get a nice little breather in between. It doesn't bother me that they upped the ratio of some more cleans on TGM and Parallax, but this is about as high as I want them to go. If they hold back even more on harsh vocals in favor of more cleans, I don't think I would enjoy it as much. (But it all depends on the execution of course)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2014, 06:35:11 PM »
I don't mind harsh vocals.  I went on a huge binge of them in the early 90's.   But I ended up burning out on them mostly because...let's face it...they are 1-dimensional in their approach by their very nature.   They don't have variance.   Clean vocals have the capability of varying notes...harsh vocals generally don't.   Unless you count going from a low growl to a high scream.   That would make it at least 2-dimensional.   But BTBAM doesn't even give you that. 

I suppose that's why I really like Into Eternity's stuff.   They will give you Bon Jovi style harmonies, regular clean vocals, low death growls and high pitched shrieking.   A HUGE dynamic vocal range with all kinds of colors on the palate.   

That being said, BTBAM's harmonies are perfectly placed, and they do give you a HUGE change up after going full throttle for a good while.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
Dude have you heard the debut. Tommy's harsh vox are way more varied than any of the recent stuff. Although his cleans have improved dramatically since then.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
Mordecai is still my absolute favorite song by them by light years. It's all of their best sides in one song and it's the most evil, heavenly, beautiful fucking thing I've heard. I don't think anything will ever beat it, I can safely say.

Oh and the lead in to Reaction and Shevanel Take 2 (my second favorite song by 'em) is equally, if not more beautiful (though the harshness of M, for me, takes it above and beyond). Take 2 always gets me teary eyed for a number of reasons, but on it's own it's still beautiful...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:17:44 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »
Mordecai is still my absolute favorite song by them by light years. It's all of their best sides in one song and it's the most evil, heavenly, beautiful fucking thing I've heard. I don't think anything will ever beat it, I can safely say.

Oh and the lead in to Reaction and Shevanel Take 2 (my second favorite song by 'em) is equally, if not more beautiful (though the harshness of M, for me, takes it above and beyond). Take 2 always gets me teary eyed for a number of reasons, but on it's own it's still beautiful...

My favorite part of TSC is the run from Reaction -> Ad a Dglgmut (or however its spelt). There is a beautiful two parter, which does not even completely fade out before the brutality of AAD comes in. AAD is easily my favorite from the album, with the opening two parter and The Need for Repitition coming in right behind it. Mordecai, however, does not really do anything for me.

Edit: Damn, I completely forgot about The Man Land.  :rollin I just cannot stop laughing
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:18:37 PM by Randaran »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting

RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
 :eek

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
:woot: :woot: :woot:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
 :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
Is this really news to anyone though? They have been talking openly about this for like 6 months now. I remember someone in the band getting asked in the summer, and whoever it was said that they would start recording it during the fall and have it out in 2015. Don't get me wrong though, I'm super stoked about this album, but the article and the "news" factor about it is on the same level as an article stating Tool are "working on a new album".

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
Well yeah, except BTBAM will actually release something. :lol