Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129317 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
I tried to order the BluRay but the EU store doesn't offer it, just the DVD version. I could order from the US store but the shipping costs are almost as high as the actual BluRay price.
Anyone know an alternative?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Move to the USA :biggrin:

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
I've been thinking for awhile, I dont know if alot of you are fans of Trioscapes, but they are amazing. I think BTBAM would benefit greatly from adding sax player Walter Fancourt into the band. Just think of the potential.

Instrumental sections would become wilder, more avant garde, more improvisational. There could be dueling solos trading off between guitars and saxophone. Hell, throw in some keyboard shred while youre at it.

Mellow parts could feature beautiful flute passages, whether they be subtle or in the forefront. BTBAM could reach a greater level of sound and creativity in a Crimson/Bungle-esque way.

Of course, I'm only dreaming, but does anyone else see the potential?

Have you heard of Ihsahn?  Sax heavy metal.  So, I think it could work...but at the same time I don't want any band to mess with a winning formula.  I wouldn't be opposed to a guest spot for a song, but adding a new full time member might cause problems.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
They're starting work on a rock opera, out next year!!  :metal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »
I've been thinking for awhile, I dont know if alot of you are fans of Trioscapes, but they are amazing. I think BTBAM would benefit greatly from adding sax player Walter Fancourt into the band. Just think of the potential.

Instrumental sections would become wilder, more avant garde, more improvisational. There could be dueling solos trading off between guitars and saxophone. Hell, throw in some keyboard shred while youre at it.

Mellow parts could feature beautiful flute passages, whether they be subtle or in the forefront. BTBAM could reach a greater level of sound and creativity in a Crimson/Bungle-esque way.

Of course, I'm only dreaming, but does anyone else see the potential?

Have you heard of Ihsahn?  Sax heavy metal.  So, I think it could work...but at the same time I don't want any band to mess with a winning formula.  I wouldn't be opposed to a guest spot for a song, but adding a new full time member might cause problems.
Also, Ihsahn sax player, Jorgen Munkeby, has his own band Shining where he does this Sax Jazz Black Prog Metal (too much?  :biggrin:) and they are awesome.
Ihsahn has only two albums with sax though :/

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
I have been listening to their first two records a lot lately. Considering my usual dislike for anything -core, I was pleasantly suprised. The vocals did improve significantly on Alaska, but they are not bad here. The cleans are quite good, though the harsh ones are more hit or miss. I like the deeper growls, but do not care for most of the higher ones. Musically, the two albums are just as good as the rest of their stuff. Loved them overall.  :metal
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
"Extremophile Elite" performance from their new DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGC5WpUbHQ

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2014, 05:02:55 AM »
"Extremophile Elite" performance from their new DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGC5WpUbHQ

This is bloody unreal!  Can't wait to get this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
Fuck! I love this song and this performance is perfect!

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
Oh sweet baby Jesus that was intense. I need this Blu-Ray in my life right now.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
I was kinda skeptical about this whole thing, but I have to admit that was pretty awesome.

btw why does Dan have a keyboard in front of him? Is he their second keyboardist now?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
Wow! That was freakin' awesome!

Great footage, great mix, superb performance. And DYNAMICS. It's great to hear this music this way. Parallax II is so compressed it's almost hard to listen to. They're sounding great this way, this should easily surpass the regular album.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »
This is my FAVORITE song from Future Sequence.   I'll watch the whole thing later (gotta fly) but I did have to quickly say that my fears about this release were confirmed. 

As awesome as this is, it just sounds exactly like the studio version.    What...is...the...point...of...this...release?   :-[   It just sounds like a way to get us to buy the same album twice. 

I'd have to hear some variance or improv before I'd commit.  Otherwise, I'll pass.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »
eh, this is how they look on stage anyway. now we just don't have to waste time with shots of a sweaty crowd. As for sounding like the cd, that's just how on-point btbam is live. Blake said the performance weren't touched up at all

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
An amazingly accurate and consistent performance that one. I think I'd still like it more if it sounded a bit more live, even a little. As it is now, it could as well be a music video of the song  :-\ Extremophile Elite is one of my least favorite songs on Parallax II though, I need to see Lay Your Ghosts To Rest or something.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
I would have just liked to see more livelyness from the guys. Specifically Tommy. Just a little bit more headbanging, hand gestures, full body movements, you know. Getting more into the songs, even though theyve played them hundreds of times and theyre likely stale at this point to play. More expressive I guess.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »
Wow, that was awesome !
Very rare to see Paul Wagonner going public with an Ibanez Guitar !

Offline me7

« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2014, 03:24:29 AM »
Anyone here got their BluRay yet? I preordered almost a month ago but my disc didn't even ship yet.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
I was intending to grab my copy at FYE when I got BTFW, but they said they were out  :yeahright Load of BS if you ask me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Went back and watched Veridian/White Walls from the Live Colors video.   Far superior atmosphere/performances throughout.  I could watch that video all day long.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
My copy of Future Sequence came in last week, and I have had some time to digest it.

Just...wow.  :hefdaddy

I thought that it would be impossible for them to top The Great Misdirect, but this one is even better. It flows perfectly; there is never a dull moment, and even though it is the band's longest record, it feels as though it is their shortest.

As for the Bluray, since I only recently got the album, I will hold off on it. I will get it sometime before the end of the year, but it is nothing urgent. I do like the previews, though they sound too similar to the studio versions.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
I would have just liked to see more livelyness from the guys. Specifically Tommy. Just a little bit more headbanging, hand gestures, full body movements, you know. Getting more into the songs, even though theyve played them hundreds of times and theyre likely stale at this point to play. More expressive I guess.
Hence why live performances are usually filmed at a show. It's almost like in this video they're not really playing for anybody, because they're not.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »
For those of you who have the DVD...

Keep your eye on Tommy during the "eyes open to the sound of laughter" part of Silent Flight Parliament.

Its amazing how he can sing without even opening his mouth, or without facing the microphone!
This band blows my mind.

Seriously though, HUGE editing mistake. I thought this performance was going to be 100% legit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »
Hence why live performances are usually filmed at a show. It's almost like in this video they're not really playing for anybody, because they're not.

This...

And about that editing mistake...that's pretty huge IMO.   I don't knock anyone for enjoying a video of watching the band play the material live in the studio if that's what you want....but it seems like having a mistake like that would really go against the spirit of the thing.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »

Hey man, I jam out pretty hard to Future Sequence, and thats just in my free time for fun and just because I love the music.

If I was getting a paycheck to do it in front of a camera for fan's entertainment, I'd throw down so hard I might break something.

And about that editing mistake...that's pretty huge IMO.   I don't knock anyone for enjoying a video of watching the band play the material live in the studio if that's what you want....but it seems like having a mistake like that would really go against the spirit of the thing.

It totally kills the whole atmosphere. It's so jarring that it just pulls me right out of the experience. I didn't notice anything else while I was watching, but I've only watched it once.
What a shame that they fucked up in the last 5 minutes of the album and had to replay a segment for the recording  :lol
I bet Blake fucked up his fill and it threw the band off or something.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »
I don't get re-recording it.  That's part of a live show.  You don't get a second take.  I haven't gotten around to watching the DVD yet, but I've listened to the audio a few times.  I wish they would have just recorded the last show of their tour in March, and not just because I was there in the front row.  It was home turf, they had their families with them, had a nice thank you speech for the crowd, they nailed their parts, played an encore, and the crowd was electric.  It's a shame fans didn't get to see that.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »
I don't get re-recording it.  That's part of a live show.  You don't get a second take.  I haven't gotten around to watching the DVD yet, but I've listened to the audio a few times.  I wish they would have just recorded the last show of their tour in March, and not just because I was there in the front row.  It was home turf, they had their families with them, had a nice thank you speech for the crowd, they nailed their parts, played an encore, and the crowd was electric.  It's a shame fans didn't get to see that.

At least a bootleg would've been nice.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »

Keep your eye on Tommy during the "eyes open to the sound of laughter" part of Silent Flight Parliament.

Its amazing how he can sing without even opening his mouth, or without facing the microphone!
This band blows my mind.

Seriously though, HUGE editing mistake. I thought this performance was going to be 100% legit.

Haven't seen the DVD yet but if that is indeed true, it's a shame.

Forgive my ignorance, but since it's a not a 'concert,' why couldn't they just replay/re-film the parts they messed up on?

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »

This band blows my mind.

Haven't seen the DVD yet but if that is indeed true, it's a shame.

Forgive my ignorance, but since it's a not a 'concert,' why couldn't they just replay/re-film the parts they messed up on?

I agree.  That would have made the product better in the long run. They could take breaks, rehearse certain parts, add little extras to the music, and perform every song flawlessly. Of course, certain songs would have to be played together, like the run from Goodbye to Everything - Autumn, or Telos to Melting City, just because transitions would probably be awkward otherwise.

Of course, they could just get around that by taking a little extra time to piece the songs together in post editing, perhaps in a slightly different way from the studio album version and make super fancy visual transitions in between every track.

Its not like the point of the DVD is to watch the band challenge themselves to a flawless 75 minute marathon of musical ridiculousness. The point is just to enjoy watching the band perform the songs in high definition with a dynamic and personalized visual representation, which they do provide, but it could have been better.

All things aside, I do really enjoy the product, and I think I actually like listening to the "live" performance better than the studio album. The instruments and vocals sound more raw and.... alive. But I guess that much is obvious  :lol

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2014, 07:10:40 AM »
I was reading an interview with Dustie and Dan taken in 2010 (https://lastrit.es/articles/102/between-the-buried-and-me---unchecked-progression-) and read the following:

"MR: And speaking of influences, I think the cover album you did, The Anatomy of… was really an album that truly showed all of the influences that culminate in Between the Buried and Me. How did that album come about?

Dan: That’s right, when you look at everything we covered, its all on that album, from the metal of Metallica, Dream Theater, and King Crimson to The Counting Crows.

MR: Did you gets get to pick songs individually or come together as a band to agree on what to cover? Are there personal favorites on that record?

Dustie: A little of both. Like, Metallica’s “Blackened” was my idea, but it was unanimous to include it. The Pink Floyd track was another one everyone agreed on.

Dan: My favorites are the King Crimson and Dream Theater covers. That more progressive stuff is definitely much more of an influence now.

I was surprised to see DT mentioned among the covered bands, knowing that in fact the album's tracklist does not contain any DT song !!

Anyone could shed his light on me ??? :huh:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2014, 12:25:43 PM »
I dunno what's up with that. And it's a shame, I'd love to hear BTBAM covering DT.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Turned a cute chick onto this band tonight.

Aw yissssssssss

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
You're doing the lords work getting anybody to hear them. :tup

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »
Turned a cute chick onto this band tonight.

Aw yissssssssss

You're close by.  She have a sister? :zydar:

Offline me7

« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2014, 07:18:50 AM »
Wow, I finally got my copy that I preordered in early September. I guess this album isn't a hoax after all.
Eager to listen tonight.