Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129152 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
Fossil Genera is amazing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
The thing with TGM is that it's their most random album by far. Some of the criticism towards the band in general is that there are no structures and that the songs move between parts that doesn't belong together, and in that aspect, TGM is the "worst" album. Most of the songs (pretty much all except for Mirrors and Desert of Song) are very disjointed and structure-wise it's very much all over the place. While I do like the album myself (would probably say it's their third best), it's not weird that some people dislike it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
The thing with TGM is that it's their most random album by far. Some of the criticism towards the band in general is that there are no structures and that the songs move between parts that doesn't belong together, and in that aspect, TGM is the "worst" album. Most of the songs (pretty much all except for Mirrors and Desert of Song) are very disjointed and structure-wise it's very much all over the place. While I do like the album myself (would probably say it's their third best), it's not weird that some people dislike it.

To me, the potpourri of styles is certainly more random than anything that they had done before...but I find the individual songs to be *A LOT* more structured than Colors.    Even though I have grown to love Colors...with the exception of Veridian/White Walls...I cannot make heads or tails of that album.   The first 6 tracks don't sound like songs to me at all.   It sounds more like a suite of 20 different two-minute ideas put in a blender.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
I love Desert Of Song and Mirrors, but the rest of the album is pretty forgettable, even if I do enjoy it while listening to it.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
but I find the individual songs to be *A LOT* more structured than Colors.

Agreed.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

To me, the potpourri of styles is certainly more random than anything that they had done before...but I find the individual songs to be *A LOT* more structured than Colors.    Even though I have grown to love Colors...with the exception of Veridian/White Walls...I cannot make heads or tails of that album.   The first 6 tracks don't sound like songs to me at all.   It sounds more like a suite of 20 different two-minute ideas put in a blender.
You know, I was getting ready to disagree with you here, but you're right. Colors flows much better as an album, while TGM flows better on an individual song basis (save for Swim to the Moon). Maybe that's part of why I hold Colors at such a higher level than TGM. Once you've heard TGM, you pretty much know what you got. All the songs are quite set up in what they are. You have the two prog-metal epics in Obfuscation and Swim to the Moon, the more subdued opener and Desert of Song, and then the longer form tracks that seem like 6 songs crammed down into 2.

But Colors, holy piss. That album is like getting hit in the face with a box of chocolates. You don't know what you're going to get, and it hurts a little bit but it's chocolate so fuck yeah. Yeah, it seems disjointed as all holy fuck (and it is), but there's something so massively endearing about it. Listening to that album, it's almost like a badge of honor. Seriously, People should walk around with little stickers that say "I can listen to Colors while actually being able to follow it." It's like packing up your friends and going on a road trip. You have no idea where you're going, but you're going to have the best god damn time.

Really, I think that's the ultimate key. Colors is so adventurous, not to say that TGM isn't. But, TGM has more of a "trip to Grandma's" feel to it. You know where you're going, and fuck yeah it's going to be great, but there's something that can't be replicated when it comes to the spontaneity and the pure off-the-cuff feeling of not knowing what's happening. I think with Parallax they did a really good job of mixing those two ideas. There's a ton of great adventurous stuff going on with the random breaks and left-field breakdowns, but there's still enough structure to each individual song that you can latch onto it and remember what the catchiest parts are.

Alright, that's enough obtuse simile. Fuck yeah BTBAM.

Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Well, no it's not weird that people who don't like those characteristics don't like the album. But I still find it weird that some people really dislike it but love BTBAM's other albums, when they're all quite a lot like that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
Usually their disjointed songwriting produces memorable songs. On TGM, it really didn't.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:38 PM »
Usually their disjointed songwriting produces memorable songs. On TGM, it really didn't.
I disagree. I find TGM more memorable than large swathes of Colors and Parallax II. However, I will agree that Colors flows much better as an album even if I find where it flows to be occasionally not worth the trek.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
I've noticed the only really heavy bands I can get into are BTBAM and Opeth... But other bands just don't do it for me, like Periphery, TesseracT, the Safety Fire, Protest the Hero, etc. I can't figure out why, but a BTBAM is just perfect for me. The monotonous vocals somehow appeal to me more than vocals from let's say, Periphery. Maybe I'm just weird.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »
I've noticed the only really heavy bands I can get into are BTBAM and Opeth... But other bands just don't do it for me, like Periphery, TesseracT, the Safety Fire, Protest the Hero, etc. I can't figure out why, but a BTBAM is just perfect for me. The monotonous vocals somehow appeal to me more than vocals from let's say, Periphery. Maybe I'm just weird.
That's because most of those bands have terrible vocals.   :lol

Tommy may have some monotonous growls (comparatively) but they're still hellishly powerful and effective.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
That's what I'm sayin! There is so much energy in his vocals. He doesn't sound whiney, he sounds like he's pissed (Telos).

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
Agreed. He hit a new level of intesity in Telos.

Try some Dillinger.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
Telos is the only song that has ever given me a desire to mosh the fuck out.

And i hate moshing. The vocals on Telos are awesome and totally take the intensity of that song to a whole other level.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »

Try some Dillinger.

:tup to Dillinger.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
I've been looking at trying some Between The Buried and Me for quite awhile but haven't came around doing it till now. Any advice on which album to start off with? Just browsing on the internet, it seems to me that Colors is considered to be their best, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
I'd honestly recommend the Parallax EP. It's really good, plus it's not going to be as hard to take in as most of their full-length offerings.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
Parallax II if ya ask me, definitely their best.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
I would say Parallax II.   I love Colors now, but I found it unlistenable at first. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »
My biggest piece of advice when getting into BTBAM: If you dont like it at first, dont give up on it!

I could not stand the band at all when I first tried them, and now they are my all time favorite besides Genesis. Just give them a shot until you get used to how ridiculous they are.

Start with Future Sequence. Work your way backwards.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »

Try some Dillinger.
Interesting idea. DEP is one of the most ridiculously intense bands on the face of the earth, yet I could totally see someone who likes BTBAM enjoying their later output. Option Paralysis and One of Us is the Killer are both more metal and less pure hardcore punk. The only thing is the sparing use of melody might put people off. There's plenty of awesome melodic moments on both albums, but usually they're scattered between sections of pure "holy shit stop raping my face with a jackhammer" insanity.

God I love that band.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »
My biggest piece of advice when getting into BTBAM: If you dont like it at first, dont give up on it!

This is pretty much my mentality when it comes to any band I hear for the first time. I've been trying to expand my music horizons as much as I can ever since I started college a year and a half ago and had great success (since then I got into Tool, Devin Townsend to name a few) but I always find myself wanting to explore more, and BTBAM is one of the last bands that I hear quite often that I haven't tried yet. That said, it looks like I'll give the Parallax duology a try when I get home from class.

Edit: Okay, I've finished listening to the Parllax EP. For a first listen, I thought it was quite good, but I'll definitely need time to fully digest it. But from a first impression, BTBAM looks to be a band that'll definitely grow on me the more I listen to them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:39:27 PM by PolarizeMe »

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
Okay, I've finished listening to the Parllax EP. For a first listen, I thought it was quite good, but I'll definitely need time to fully digest it. But from a first impression, BTBAM looks to be a band that'll definitely grow on me the more I listen to them.

:tup  Their early work is nothing to scoff at either, although it's not nearly as grandiose and "progressive" as their post-Colors material. The self-titled debut is an awesome album.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
Fuck that just Go listen to All Bodies.

You can submit a thank you in reply form.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
All Bodies is top-3 BTBAM material.
And better than Selkies.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
I don't think it would be in my top10 even.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
All Bodies is top-3 BTBAM material.
And better than Selkies.

Hey that's you're opinion.

And it's not wrong.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
I've yet to properly digest all of Alaska. It's their one album that I havent paid as much attention to and hasnt clicked with me at all. I tried to give it a listen last night but I fell asleep (not from boredom, I was just very tired).

All Bodies -> Alaska -> Croakies and Boatshoes -> Selkies    is an awesome succession of songs.
I think is the production of this album that's the biggest turnoff. Its got a very ugly mix.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
The production is one of the best parts. The rawness suits the album much better and listening to it next to a song off of Colors and beyond you can hear how compressed everything is.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2014, 03:20:03 AM »
I think Alaska as an album sounds very flat and dry. In terms of production, it's really the only album they have done where I don't care much for the sound of the album. It's a shame considering how good some of the songs are.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »
I think Alaska as an album sounds very flat and dry. In terms of production, it's really the only album they have done where I don't care much for the sound of the album. It's a shame considering how good some of the songs are.

Are we listening to the same album?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »

This. It's got my favorite production of any of their albums.
And I don't really see how anyone could think it sounds worse than the first two...

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »

This. It's got my favorite production of any of their albums.
And I don't really see how anyone could think it sounds worse than the first two...

The drums drown out everything, especially on the blast beats, and the guitars and drums both just have a pretty weak tone. But at least the first 2 albums have a clearer sound than this and each instrument is more audible in the whole mix. Serious loudness war going on in Alaska. And this is based on listening to the album from a CD, an iTunes download, and YouTube videos, so unless it sounds incredible on vinyl Ive heard it all. I've even doubled up on loudness filters on iTunes EQ settings, and it still doesnt sound quite as good as the other albums.

That being said, Hypersleep Dialouges has my favorite mix/master of any BTBAM release, and that sounds perfect to me. So take my opinion as you will.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
Alaska has a ton of midrange in the mix. That leaves it lacking a lot of punch, at least to my ears. Still some great stuff, although everything else pales in comparison to the first four tracks.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2014, 01:48:26 PM »
That being said, Hypersleep Dialouges has my favorite mix/master of any BTBAM release, and that sounds perfect to me. So take my opinion as you will.

Oh right, I forgot about that one. :lol
Yeah, that one could be my favorite sound-wise, too.

Colors and TGM, as great as they are, sound pretty muddy and compressed to me.