Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129142 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
ya, pretty ecited bout the live in-studio AND the new Orbs album...Orbs was my 2010 AOTY, until I discovered Shaolin Death Squad this year and made the appropriate retroactive changes.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »
So, is that DVD not going to be a live concert DVD? I'm a little confused.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:33 PM »
It will be live, but it will not be a concert. It's like what Oceansize did with Frames, or Trivium did with In Waves (though I don't think they did the whole thing).

edit: Also, just read the interview. Really good stuff, cool to see Dan mention DT, and that Trioscapes have another album due soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
I love in studio live performances.  Bands should do it more and release with the cd, like St Anger.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
...cool to see Dan mention DT...

ya, i tripped out a bit on that...ive thought about before, and the impression ive gotten is Briggs would fit in perfect on this forum as "once a DT fan but not so much no more". hell, he probably IS one of us.

I love in studio live performances.  Bands should do it more and release with the cd, like St Anger.

this, but like, with good albums n junk.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 04:19:24 AM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
My only wish is that they were filming the Charlotte show.  Simply by my presence there it will be their best show ever.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
Colors is awesome, but I can't help cracking up whenever Tommy growls "WUBSESSION!"

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 04:00:43 AM »
Hopefully this DVD was getting recorded early March, I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
They are on tour now Kade.  Early April is probably the earliest.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
Their tour aside, aren't they recording this new DVD in studio?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
Yeah, it's an in studio performance of the Parallax II

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
They are on tour now Kade.  Early April is probably the earliest.

Damn.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
Going to see them in Athens. Can't wait!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 10:56:55 PM »
I saw them live for the first time on Wednesday.  Very good show, but I have to attribute some of that to the, what I assume is a rather odd setlist. Setlist spoilers follow for anyone who wants to be surprised.

Foam Born (A)
(B) Decade of Statues
Obfuscation
Astral Body
Lay Your Ghosts To Rest
Autumn
Selkies
Bloom
Swim to the Moon (the last half of the song)
Silent Flight Parliament
Goodbye to Everything Reprise
Sun of Nothing (encore)

Selkies + Obfuscation + Lay Your Ghosts to Rest + any part of Swim to the Moon = omfg

I was pretty expectant for them to play Mordecai, Ants of the Sky, White Walls or a couple of other songs that I didn't particular care to hear. Okay, Mordecai would've been cool but I'm glad I got what I got.

Intronaut was also pretty awesome. Deafheaven was largely boring and The Kindred, from what I saw, was pretty fun.

Intronaut and BTBAM were easily the best of the night.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
Their tour aside, aren't they recording this new DVD in studio?

Which is why they won't do the new DVD until after the tour.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »
An in-studio DVD seems pretty stupid to me. Sure, you can see them play any song live, but usually live DVDs have a few things that bootlegs don't. Namely, good audio, more than one camera angle, and a physical product that you can put into a PS3 and output on a 40 inch Sony TV with a massively high-quality Sony sound system, while still keeping the atmosphere of a live show.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
eh whatever. I don't need to see a crowd to appreciate a live performance. I want to see a good quality video of the band playing their music and that's what this is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the live in the studio thing.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
As long as theres an option somewhere to watch Blake the whole time, I'm happy.

That would seriously be so beneficial to drummers everywhere.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »
As long as theres an option somewhere to watch Blake the whole time, I'm happy.

That would seriously be so beneficial to drummers everywhere.

Definitely! I watch the Obfuscation, PTTS, and Parallax EP videos of him :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
Yeah, those Parallax videos are insane.

I think the live in studio thing is pretty cool, so long as it is actually "live", without many overdubs. That would kind of ruin the whole thing.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR1AisSht5Y

Something like this, of course with better camera angles :P as well as better video and audio quality.
I'm so excited for this DVD  :metal

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
Just saw them in Athens last night. My first concert ever, and BTBAM did spectacular .

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
ive been meaning to ask for a while what everyone thinks we'll get from these guys as far as a change-up goes with the next album(s)...

I was thinking i'd love to see them add a gues spot / extra member for the next record. would love to hear them include a violin or something to the mix and not just for a little moment here or there. I might be subconsciously leaning towards violin cuz of my love for unexpecT, but really it could be anything; strings, brass, whatever.

anyway, i dont think that's gonna happen, but based on this excerpt from a recent interview with Danny boy Briggs, I have a feeling theyre about to shake things up and change the direction of the band moving forward:

Coming back to BTBAM, ‘Parallax II’ was out in mid-2012, so it’s been almost two years. What’s the plan for the next one?

I’ve got so much on my plate right now. I’m in the middle of mixing a record for my band Orbs, and in the first week of April I go into the studio with my other band Trioscapes which is a fusion group. We’re going to recording our next album, and I’m going on tour with that band in May. BTBAM might be doing something in the summer and will probably start writing in the fall. I’ve already started writing and I probably have 3 or 4 things that have started to get a little bit developed that haven’t been shared yet. We’ll do that closer to the end of summer. You need time to decompress out of this whole Parallax world before you really settle into starting something now. I feel like it’s still pretty fresh with us, and the stuff that at least I’ve been writing is different. Doing the concept record format was so great and I’m really curious to try and take that next step further. I’ve been listening to a lot of The Who, the ‘Quadrophenia’ and ‘Tommy’ records. I love the rock opera format. It’s so cool. The stuff that I’ve been writing is kind of more over-the-top super big thematic, and I think we’re really interested to take some leaps and bounds in different directions. We’ve done this thing pretty solidly for a couple of records and we’ve got to see what else is out there.

interesting stuff. no matter what they do, im confident theyre gonna kill it.  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
I seriously think they have grown by leaps and bounds over the last few albums since Colors.   I would like to see them continue to explore more dynamics.   Colors is an amazing piece of work, but IMO it does not offer as much variation of dynamics as TGM and the Parallax albums do.   I think they could take it to the next step if they were to do more of a 50/50 (or maybe even 60/40) mix in favor of the cleaner vocal style.   I love cookie monster vocals when they are done well and "peppered' in to the mix.   But when you have too much of them, everything becomes too monotonous.   Clean vocals offer a FAR greater variation of styles and tones.   Cookie monster vocals are a singular tone, and they ONLY express anger, pain and frustration.    They can be done very well...but they are absolutely one-dimensional.   

I would never want them to get rid of the harsh vocals altogether...but I think more clean vocals would bring more variations to the sound.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »
Just because Tommy's vocals on the last few albums have been monotone doesn't mean that they always have been, or that harsh vocals always have to be. Just listen to the self-titled.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
Just because Tommy's vocals on the last few albums have been monotone doesn't mean that they always have been, or that harsh vocals always have to be. Just listen to the self-titled.

Tommy's vocals are not very good on the self titled debut.
The riffs however, are crushing. And more interesting than most of the stuff on the Parallax albums.

On the topic of dynamics though, The Great Misdirect is my favorite BTBAM album for a reason. That beautiful clean opening track Mirrors, followed by the grandiose progressive death metal anthem Obfuscation, with that incredible bass driven solo section that grows and grows with each meter. Right into Disease, Injury, Madness, with its crushing, fast paced riffs that are very reminiscent of their earlier work, and those mellowed out bass parts, and that big rock and roll extended guitar solo, falling back into the brutal death metal onslaught that takes us to end of the track and into Fossil Genera, which is essentially a marathon of riff after riff after riff before coming up to a huge epic closing segment that could end any adventure movie so perfectly. Desert of Song bringing it back down with a fairly relaxed, completely clean vocal ballad-y type jam, and the 18 minute Dream Theater tribute known as Swim To The Moon.
The entire album dips and climbs and soars with its dynamic diversity, even within each song. Which is also why i think the album works better than Colors or the Parallax albums. Each song is a strong piece that stands alone, but works well with the other songs to form a great album, as opposed to a bunch of different songs that were intended to just be part of a much larger body of work. Sometimes, that just isnt as effective.

If they were to make another album in the style of TGM, with those dynamics, it would be a real winner.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:06:30 PM by PROGdrummer »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
The Great Misdirect is probably my least favorite BTBAM album. :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
On the topic of dynamics though, The Great Misdirect is my favorite BTBAM album for a reason. That beautiful clean opening track Mirrors, followed by the grandiose progressive death metal anthem Obfuscation, with that incredible bass driven solo section that grows and grows with each meter. Right into Disease, Injury, Madness, with its crushing, fast paced riffs that are very reminiscent of their earlier work, and those mellowed out bass parts, and that big rock and roll extended guitar solo, falling back into the brutal death metal onslaught that takes us to end of the track and into Fossil Genera, which is essentially a marathon of riff after riff after riff before coming up to a huge epic closing segment that could end any adventure movie so perfectly. Desert of Song bringing it back down with a fairly relaxed, completely clean vocal ballad-y type jam, and the 18 minute Dream Theater tribute known as Swim To The Moon.
The entire album dips and climbs and soars with its dynamic diversity, even within each song. Which is also why i think the album works better than Colors or the Parallax albums. Each song is a strong piece that stands alone, but works well with the other songs to form a great album, as opposed to a bunch of different songs that were intended to just be part of a much larger body of work. Sometimes, that just isnt as effective.

If they were to make another album in the style of TGM, with those dynamics, it would be a real winner.
This is the perfect explanation for why I love TGM and why it's my favorite. I don't necessarily want them to make another album in this style but I wouldn't complain if they did. :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
TGM is definitely underrated. I'd say it's at least on par with Future Sequence.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »
Just got back from seeing them live.  They could have charged me double and I'd still be happy.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »

Could not have said it better.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
The Great Misdirect is probably my least favorite BTBAM album. :lol

Were you a crack baby?  Totally serious.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
As much as I love Parallax (especially Part 2), I have to say that I'm shocked that anyone would not think TGM isn't one of their most amazing pieces of work.   It's certainly their most diverse...but maybe that's exactly what polarizes people.

Fossil Genera is seriously in my top 5 BTBAM songs.   What a freaking AMAZING song that is.   If I had to show a newb one example of what made BTBAM so much more than the "metal core" band that they sometimes appear to be...this would be the song. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude