Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131266 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #840 on: March 14, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
Might be a textbook Sumerian Records strategy or something? Also happened with Juggernaut, though those were spaced out even more. Their statement on social media said they did it because the music industry is moving away from people being able to digest full albums, but they probably know that's bullshit themselves too considering the core of their fanbase consists of prog fans. Besides, it is still a double-concept-album, so in a way it should still be intended to listen to in full right?

It's weird, but I don't really care because not once listening to Automata I have I thought that it's too short, maybe the end of Blot was a bit sudden, but the length of the whole thing never bothered me.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #841 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:20 PM »
Automata I is definitely long enough for me. Their music is quite dense so I actually prefer to digest it in smaller pieces. I also really liked the Hypersleep EP.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #842 on: March 14, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
I've been liking this album since it dropped. Doesn't feel too short to me. Standout tracks are Yellow Eyes and Millions.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #843 on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
It definitely feels "short" for a BTBAM album, but that's only because it's BTBAM. For the everyday album, it's just fine, if a little short in the song-per-song categorization. Then again stuff like that doesn't really matter to me anymore. I love Blot, but my standout section of the album is nearly the shortest song, House Organ. I'm totally okay with it being split up.

I can see it being a label thing for sure. But I can also see it being a band related thing in relation to the story and digestion of it, or more likely the breaking up of the timeline of the albums as they tend to do.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #844 on: March 14, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
Automata I is definitely long enough for me. Their music is quite dense so I actually prefer to digest it in smaller pieces. I also really liked the Hypersleep EP.

I feel this way aswell, I love BTBAM but I have a hard time digesting many songs at once. I'm liking this album/EP so far, my favorite so far is Goodbye to the Gallows.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #845 on: March 14, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
So, this album worth listening to?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #846 on: March 14, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »
So, this album worth listening to?

It's great but I feel slightly biased since I love most of their albums.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #847 on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
I love Colors, which is a top 25 album of all-time for me, but even that one I find difficult to sit through occasionally. As for their other albums, I have mixed feelings on most of them. For instance, I didn't really like Coma Ecliptic and thought there was too much filler on that one
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #848 on: March 14, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
Might be a textbook Sumerian Records strategy or something? Also happened with Juggernaut, though those were spaced out even more.

Huh? Juggernaut Alpha and Omega were released on the same day.

Re: the new album - not bad, but kinda BTBAM by the numbers. It's interesting that this is probably their first album ever that isn't proggier than the previous one, but I don't think it really evolves their sound at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #849 on: March 14, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »
I don't think it does, either, but do think it refines it, which is a lot to be said for a band that has as much musical ambition as this one does. It also says something that it leaves me mostly satisfied but still wanting more, and we'll get more, which is pretty awesome.

Elite:
If you go into it expecting musical evolution and a huge journey, you'll come out a bit disappointed probably. But keep the usual bliss-killing-bullshit called hype in check and if you're in the mood for some BTBAM, you'll more than likely dig it. Like a couple people have said, this didn't break any boundaries or go places they haven't been before as CE tried to do (and succeeded wonderfully, in my opinion, but I digress). If you're skeptical, I'd recommend waiting for the whole album to come out. (Well, the next side...double albums are always so odd in that it's tough to consider the whole thing on one side since it's clearly meant to be heard through both. It's very much a "whole" album, but with BTBAM standards, it's definitely thinner than most.

This is the classic BTBAM sound brought back a bit, with a refinement of what they brought in musically over the last few albums. It's the most screaming that Giles has done since Parallax but he's also taking the growling and screaming in a slightly different direction than the usual higher-pitched screaming (though that's still there). He's definitely in top form here, to my ears anyway, which is the biggest and most welcome change after a very different approach on CE (again, not a bad thing to me, but certainly a different side from the band but especially from Giles).

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #850 on: March 15, 2018, 01:46:08 AM »
Re: the new album - not bad, but kinda BTBAM by the numbers. It's interesting that this is probably their first album ever that isn't proggier than the previous one, but I don't think it really evolves their sound at all.
You may be interested to hear that Automata II is where we hear some new sounds and styles.

And I'm not sure the reason for the split into two releases. I've heard the whole thing a few times and it works really well as a whole IMO. My only guess is that the first part is more traditional BTBAM territory and the second is a bit quirkier and they wanted to highlight the distinction.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #851 on: March 15, 2018, 06:26:48 AM »
OoOoO interesting! Damn it, now I have to control my hype.

RIP DTP.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2018, 06:56:50 AM »
You may be interested to hear that Automata II is where we hear some new sounds and styles.

And I'm not sure the reason for the split into two releases. I've heard the whole thing a few times and it works really well as a whole IMO. My only guess is that the first part is more traditional BTBAM territory and the second is a bit quirkier and they wanted to highlight the distinction.

How have you heard Part II already?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #853 on: March 15, 2018, 07:48:09 AM »

He's got those family connections  ;)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #854 on: March 15, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »
I heard ariich's newborn is actually really good friends with Blake Richardson, that's probably how
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #855 on: March 15, 2018, 08:14:33 AM »
Between the BabyDaddy and Me

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #856 on: March 15, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »

He's got those family connections  ;)
:tup

I heard ariich's newborn is actually really good friends with Blake Richardson, that's probably how
:tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #857 on: March 15, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »
How long is part 2?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #858 on: March 15, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »
How long is part 2?
Similar sort of length, as one would expect.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #859 on: March 15, 2018, 04:24:15 PM »
What are those family connections again?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
My brother plays in Nova Collective with Dan Briggs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #861 on: March 15, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »
My brother plays in Nova Collective with Dan Briggs.
Does he play The Devil's Flute?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #862 on: March 17, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
Show was fucking awesome
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #863 on: March 20, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
Austin show was badass-- the crowd energy was actually almost insufferable. Setlist spoilers:

Very safe setlist. 95% Coma, Automata, and Parallax II.  Blot was sick, as was the 2nd half of Obfuscation-- encore of Silent Flight Parliament was a good choice.  Disappointing that they didn't touch Colors, Alaska, or the rest of TGM, especially since the last 2 tours I've seen them on were playing Coma and Parallax in full, so would love to see more old material next time.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #864 on: March 20, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
A friend mentioned they were playing here tonight, so I might check it out. I've been listening to a few songs from the setlist on YT, though, and so far I'm not real crazy about it. Eh, we'll see.

I'll be listening to TDH later, and maybe that's what'll get me down there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #865 on: April 05, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
Millions is awesome, just a very good 'song' for the band.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #866 on: April 05, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
Looks like they are FINALLY gonna be doing an ‘evening with’ tour next year....or at least they’re talking about it. I’m super stoked!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:31:44 PM by fadetoblackdude7 »

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #867 on: April 05, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
I think an evening with tour might kill Blake

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #868 on: April 05, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
Looks like they are FINALLY gonna be doing an ‘evening with’ tour next year....or at least they’re talking about it. I’m super stoked!!
what makes you say this? some interview where it was addressed?

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #869 on: April 05, 2018, 06:42:10 PM »
Paul and Dan were asked about it in some facebook live thing, but they were just spitballing really. I wouldn't read too much into it just yet

Online faizoff

« Reply #870 on: April 05, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
This release completely slipped my mind and I'm even more angry that I missed a chance to see them in Orlando. Work has just sucked me dry. Listening to the album now and on song 2. What a treat so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #871 on: April 05, 2018, 11:08:47 PM »
Millions is awesome, just a very good 'song' for the band.

Super into this song recently. So many awesome harmonies and melodies in this track.

RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #872 on: April 06, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
Finished my first listen, amazing stuff. Can't wait to listen to all these tracks again.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #873 on: April 06, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Yeah, great album. I'm actually very glad with the length, doesn't sound too short to me. It's not as good as TGM or Parallax I (and probably not part II either), but it's still awesome all the way through. House Organ is one of their best short tracks AFAIC (but the second half is weaker), loove the organ part with Tommy going "SMASH, IGNITE", holy shit :metal

The only thing I'm not completely into (and according to the reddit and FB groups I posted in this is very controversial) is Blot, especially the computer simulate part. Definitely my least fave on the album.

Buuut now that Rivers of Nihil, Greyhaven and Rolo Tomassi all released stellar new albums, I think the chances of Automata being my AOTY are very slim, part II would have to be reeally damn good.

Online faizoff

« Reply #874 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »
Been listening to this on repeat for the past days. I love every second on this album. In typical BTBAM fashion, the album comes together after a few listens. Right now I cannot stop listening to Blot. Absolutely love that opening section. I get Pain of Salvation's 'Fandango' vibes from the opening bit. So bummed that I missed them on tour.